Type 1'stars R Us

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having a productive day. Contacted DN team at the hospital to ask about ketone strips, and she is sorting out a meter, strips and an addition to my prescription which I can pick up from the clinic next week. Plus I had a discussion about the very large yellow sharps bin now residing in my spare room. All Libre paraphernalia, applicator and sensor to go in. Nothing to do with sharps apparently but clinical waste that mustn’t go into land fill. Which is an irony as we incinerate waste here in Leeds. When I mentioned neither chemist or GP was prepared to take anything above a litre back, that is incorrect. GPs have to here in Leeds, any problems the clinic/CCG will intervene and insist.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing to do with sharps apparently but clinical waste that mustn’t go into land fill.
Do they give a sharps bin to every female entering puberty in your country? Or to everyone occasionally using a band aid?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have tempted fate with my feel good, what can go wrong? post earlier today.
Everything was going fine and honky dory until it started to rain, rain and rain a bit more.
Rain isn’t usually a big problem. Rain is a problem when you have guys working on your roof.
Credit to both of the roofers working on my roof, they soldiered on in the rain to leave us weatherproof for tonight.
Back in the morning to, hopefully, carry on where they were forced to finish off today.
Apart from this setback everything else is okay.;)

Reactions: karen8967

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Juicyj I remember the first time I put on a G6, I had a heck of a time getting it to stay on, I’m allergic to tapes so I couldn’t use them. I used Elmer’s glue which worked for only a few days. For me luckily I had put it on my arm and wrapped my arm with an ace bandage.

I got some Skin Tac which is wonderful. At the beginning though now I wear them around 30 days I would apply more Skin Tac around the edges over the top and it would end up getting gunky looking. So I found having my hubby apply more under the edges with a Qtip for more precision as needed works out great and keeps it nicer looking.

I have to apply more with every longer shower like when I wash my hair or snorkel. I wrap my arm still when I snorkel as the adhesive just doesn’t work as well wet.

The other thing that helped some too is when I apply the Skin Tac when I first apply the new sensor I make sure to get the edges and I let it start to dry so it’s tackier versus wet and then when I apply it I make sure I don’t use pressure. I also let the sensor adhesive dry for about 10-20 minutes before I insert the transmitter.

I started doing most of all this before I was even restarting them as the adhesive did not want to stay on me!

Reactions: Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Marie 2 . Are you saying that you keep a G6 on for 30 days?
I’m currently still using G4, only one sensor left now.:banghead:
G6 will have to be ordered imminently.
My question is. If you are overriding the 10 day shutdown is it relatively easy. I’ve seen a few YouTube presentations on how to override the system but as of this moment I haven’t had the need or opportunity to see how it goes.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.:)

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Marie 2 also curious are you going 30 days ?

Thanks for the tips, haven't tried skin tac yet so will give that a whirl, I find the accuracy still spot on after 20 days but it's looking so grubby then I have to remove, I do all the tricks I can before applying but it seems to start falling off after around 7-8 days, I have got sensor plasters from Dexcom too which are applied around the sensor which helps but sometimes these start falling off so then use the medi tape.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Any one else use Patient Access app to put in for prescriptions? And if so do you ever change the receiving pharmacist in the request? twice now I've requested my script go else where other than my default local Boots (thats another story!) and so wanted to try another one and both times the script has landed up at Boots - not the end of the world just annoting, I've emailed my surgery to ask for it to be changed and why they don't take any notice of the request. Will see what they say but wondered if anyone else has the same issue?
Yep @slip I use Patient Access now after our surgery was gobbled up by a bigger practice. I had to get a new key code but changed my appointed pharmacy OK

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@therower. @Juicyj Yes I restart them until they start to go wonky. Usually for me that’s between 25-35 days. I’ve built up a nice back up supply, I like the accuracy better with them staying in too, and frankly it’s also easier!

But they are starting to put out a new transmitter to stop restarts, it’s really easy right now. No code, wait 15 minutes, then the right code. If you ever want the exact instructions I can type them. But with the newer 8G Transmitters a new method has to be used, People think they might have a solution but I’m not sure it’s solid yet.

I still have 2 older style transmitters so I’m set for 6 months?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Juicyj . I use Rocktape rct 100 DP patches. I order them from amazon.
They are like Elastoplast plasters, stretchy and I find move with and follow skin movement really well.
I usually get 2 weeks out of one patch, this includes work and gym 5 x a week. I use skin tac initially and then put the patch on.
If when the patch starts to lift at the edges you can with a bit of care peel it off, leaving the sensor still in place. Just then re apply a new patch.

Reactions: Marie 2

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Right now it’s
(But this will change with the new transmitters starting with 8G)

1) Let sensor expire or stop sensor
2) Start “a new sensor” with no code
3) Wait 15 minutes, too much past 20 and you will have to start all over again
4) Stop sensor
5) Start new sensor and enter code of existing sensor and it will start its 2 hour warm up

I use the reader to do this, you can use your phone, but if you use both like I do, you need to power off the phone for two hours or power off the reader or put it in the micro. Don’t actually micro the reader

But sigh, they are changing the transmitters and any new ones, it seems to be the 8G series in the US won’t work on this. Other countries might have different series numbers.

Last edited:

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,

VIP night was busy, they didn’t provide lunch so a few chums and I headed out for food. I had a very delicious vegan pizza from zizzi. I’m very tired, hypoed a few times tonight so I kind of drank most of their coke mixer bottles. Chef said we can take food home, unfortunately all the veggies and vegans took all the veggie food but I took a melon home. I couldn’t say no to melon, it was carved by the head chef today.
IMG_9045.jpg

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, went to see a DSN about being on a waiting list for a pump. It all went fine, but no idea how long it will take so not getting excited. Too many hypos was the reason, and I do have too many, despite everything.

Going to get the flu jab this morning, as long as I remember, 9.25am. Then I expect a slightly achy arm for a few days, but a minor thing really.

Reactions: ert and karen8967

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello friends,
I had to drag my body out of bed, :( in combination with wisdom toothache and tiredness. If I’m honest, I wished work just told everyone to turn up for 15:30 to tidy the place ready for the evening. We have to be there for 11:00 until 15:00, break time and then show up at 17:00 again. In my case, I think 9-10hours is a bit of a stretch for me. But diabetes not too shabby at 7.3. :)

Reactions: Alison54321

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I've had 3 days of being super sensitive to insulin and I didn't get to ride my exercise bike as long as I usually do the last couple of days because I kept dropping too much when I tried. Then tonight I got on my exercise bike right after I ate some crackers expecting to have the same issue and I did great, only increased to 7 and then slowly dropped back down to a 6 after 15 miles on it. That is more than I usually do and then I get off the bike and 10 minutes later I started to climb. So I took some insulin, watched it keep climbing so I took more, I ended up climbing up to an 11 before my insulin started kicking in. Now I'm back down to a 6 but my arrow is pointed down and it is getting close to bedtime. I knew better than taking the full dose at being an 11, I took about half of what my pump said I should, but I'm guessing I'm still having the sensitivity to insulin thing still going on.

So I doubt it will be a good nights sleep tonight with my alarm going off with lows tonight at some point. Very aggravating of course.

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all on this wet Saturday :rolleyes: I awoke on single figures and I didn't get up until 8.10, so that is a lay in for me :happy: lol and still in my dressing gown too :hilarious:
Have a good weekend everyone and take care :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Morning all, went to see a DSN about being on a waiting list for a pump. It all went fine, but no idea how long it will take so not getting excited. Too many hypos was the reason, and I do have too many, despite everything.

Going to get the flu jab this morning, as long as I remember, 9.25am. Then I expect a slightly achy arm for a few days, but a minor thing really.

I hope your flu jab went well, I will go for mine another time as it is pouring with rain here and I would have to walk too.
Good luck getting your pump @Alison54321, I'm crossing everything for you.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope your flu jab went well, I will go for mine another time as it is pouring with rain here and I would have to walk too.
Good luck getting your pump @Alison54321, I'm crossing everything for you.

Thanks. Flu jab was fine, doctors is just round the corner, but it's quite sunny here today anyway. Won't last, I'm sure.

Reactions: Marie 2