What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this. I didn't realise that anyone else dropped into the 3s. Last night I didn't try to correct it but my liver did a correction on its own. 4.8 this morning. So all good.
@Krystyna23040 I think quite a few of us drop into 3s from time to time. I have no idea when I do until I test - do you or @dunelm have any warnings?

Reactions: gennepher

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning each. Frosty, foggy and cold and that's just me. Interesting versions of how people deal with Christmas presents. @karen8967 hope the headache goes and the pump transition is as easy as possible. @DJC3 interesting disparity between libre and finger prick - which is also (for me) quite a way from A1c. St Andrew's day brought a joyless 5.4 for me but I enjoyed the PT yesterday and the 40 mins exercise bike this morning - from where I was in August that is my present right there. Off to deliver advent calendars and other goodies later - taking 89.9 yo MIL so good family day between her and this beauty - 6 months old and ok if you like that kind of thing:angelic:
View attachment 36971
Beautiful ian x

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Krystyna23040 I think quite a few of us drop into 3s from time to time. I have no idea when I do until I test - do you or @dunelm have any warnings?
@ianpspurs. I don’t always get a warning but I do occasionally get a queezy feeling or feeling tired. Worse one was my birthday treat with my youngest son walking up Pen Y Fan in Wales earlier this year. We stopped to check my blood - 3.2 - my son gave me two kiwi fruit and I ate them skin and all, followed by a few nuts. Was right as rain after about 15 minutes and the experience was a bit of an outlier.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Beautiful ian x
Thanks. Massive family likeness - impossible for most people to tell the difference between her and her cousin and so like her male cousin, her dad and his big brother. People ask why are we moving and will we mind looking after her and her cousins?:banghead: T2, bladder cancer and Johnsonian Britain ( worst of the lot that one) may be an awful combination but her and her cousins give me enough hope and motivation for the future. Heaven can wait awhile, I've a job to do here.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Massive family likeness - impossible for most people to tell the difference between her and her cousin and so like her male cousin, her dad and his big brother. People ask why are we moving and will we mind looking after her and her cousins?:banghead: T2, bladder cancer and Johnsonian Britain may be an awful combination but her and her cousins give me enough hope and motivation for the future. Heaven can wait awhile, I've a job to do here.
Grandchildren are by far the best part of a mature life and are to be enjoyed as much as possible.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.2 start of today. Ate one small potato yesterday out of politeness!
Hugs to all chasing news of family & friends yesterday after London Bridge attack. How very brave all concerned were in the moment. God Bless everyone and their nearest and dearest.
@ianpspurs what a gorgeous little girl your grandaughter is. I can only imagine the joy they all bring to you and Julie. I hope my day will come before its too late. Leaving to travel 2 hours to visit my little brother soon so lovely emotional day in store
Have a great Saturday everyone. Stay well, stay safe.

geefull

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
good morning all :)

4.0 today

there was a bit of a frost on the car this morning but it's already thawed :)

I'm so glad everyone is safe after the convulsions in London yesterday :sorry:

Coffee next then off out to do shopping for LC supplies and what we need to provide dinner tomorrow for mum and her guests. Mr gee says he will buy me lunch ;)

@ianpspurs how charming! :joyful:

@HarryBeau lovely pics and we expect an update when they arrive home :)

Hope your day treats you kindly :)

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
an ok 6.0

been a rough week
kept it off here as much as possible,
But just wanted to share what i think is
a nice moment..(not been many sadly)

lost my brother, lads dad, last November, so quite
a poignant time, Not withstanding their current turmoil.

He had an abiding love of Elvis, and as much as the lads
took the pee, it was and became an institution in the home
especially at any celebration and particularly at Christmas.

Anyone and everyone was welcome, so all the kids friends,
girlfriends/boyfriends etc.may of had a musical preference,
but that was of no matter..Elvis was always the order of the
day..His funeral was like an Elvis tribute evening, as horrid
as that may sound to some, it was a beautiful moment.

Anyway, kids gone up today to see brother.
i called to ask how he was this morning.
each day has just had more bad news.

seems he's now breathing a little better, still assisted,
but I've taken to celebrating any improvement as a
win of some sort.

BUT when they arrived, the nurses unasked, and not
aware of the background story i just relayed.
had on the music system..playing it to patients to aid recovery
or for their own purpose i don't know.

But music was Elvis when they walked in, and Elvis until i spoke to
them...coincidence..?
maybe, but if god does indeed move in mysterious ways,
perhaps my brother is indeed looking over his son in his hour of need.

A little taster for those not familiar with Music of The KING.

Last edited:

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The last few days have been running quite low blood sugars and am spending quite a lot of the day in the very low 4s.

Tonight have just got home from work and because I felt I was low I tested and it was 3.5. Did a retest and it was 3.7.

When I was on insulin I would have had some glucose but as I am no longer on insulin or any other meds I am assuming that I don't need to do anything.
Do you feel ill when you have such low reading ? I have had 2 low readings lately ( late afternoon after long journeys ) of 3.4 and felt absolutely awful. The only reason that I tested those two times was because I felt like I was going to pass out though strangely I wasn't hungry !

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you feel ill when you have such low reading ? I have had 2 low readings lately ( late afternoon after long journeys ) of 3.4 and felt absolutely awful. The only reason that I tested those two times was because I felt like I was going to pass out though strangely I wasn't hungry !

i had one or two like that but never that low..take care.
4 is THE Floor, so i heard recently.

as i understand it, the highs and lows are caused by the body being out of balance slightly.
which the WOE tries normally successfully to keep us in trim.

i wonder if the low, was perhaps after something that spiked you.?

maybe much later then expected, so felt safe eating it.

seems it's an action and reaction to more carbs then we are used to, that sets the ball rolling
for the high /low spiking.

Reactions: trick60

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i had one or two like that but never that low..take care.
4 is THE Floor, so i heard recently.

as i understand it, the highs and lows are caused by the body being out of balance slightly.
which the WOE tries normally successfully to keep us in trim.

i wonder if the low, was perhaps after something that spiked you.?

maybe much later then expected, so felt safe eating it.

seems it's an action and reaction to more carbs then we are used to, that sets the ball rolling
for the high /low spiking.
The only link that I could find was the long journeys but then that's the mysteries of this dam condition.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
an ok 6.0

been a rough week
kept it off here as much as possible,
But just wanted to share what i think is
a nice moment..(not been many sadly)

lost my brother, lads dad, last November, so quite
a poignant time, Not withstanding their current turmoil.

He had an abiding love of Elvis, and as much as the lads
took the pee, it was and became an institution in the home
especially at any celebration and particularly at Christmas.

Anyone and everyone was welcome, so all the kids friends,
girlfriends/boyfriends etc.may of had a musical preference,
but that was of no matter..Elvis was always the order of the
day..His funeral was like an Elvis tribute evening, as horrid
as that may sound to some, it was a beautiful moment.

Anyway, kids gone up today to see brother.
i called to ask how he was this morning.
each day has just had more bad news.

seems he's now breathing a little better, still assisted,
but I've taken to celebrating any improvement as a
win of some sort.

BUT when they arrived, the nurses unasked, and not
aware of the background story i just relayed.
had on the music system..playing it to patients to aid recovery
or for their own purpose i don't know.

But music was Elvis when they walked in, and Elvis until i spoke to
them...coincidence..?
maybe, but if god does indeed move in mysterious ways,
perhaps my brother is indeed looking over his son in his hour of need.

A little taster for those not familiar with Music of The KING.

Thank you for sharing this story here. I grew up on the music of Elvis and apparently my first guitar solo was my rendition of Ricky Nelson's rendition of Elvis's "Love Me Tender" when I was about 5.
An apt song for your story too.
Love to you all.

Reactions: trick60

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting link @jjraak perhaps I have not read it at the best time of day it was a bit like reading an horror story or watching a scary movie during the dark witching hours.
For years I thought I was eating healthily based on advise from professionals, governments and the food industry, although I also am partly too blame, I had over eat and binged on all the wrong things, convinced myself I was OK as I Mountain Biked so got regular exercise but in the back of my mind there was always that niggle, probably because I had seen my mom go through Type 2 at its worst, also I was putting on the kilos, it took the sharp shock of T2D diagnosis to make me change my lifestyle and diet, thank goodness I did and I found the forum or it could all be much worse. Like you say all that damage done, we can't turn back the clock but we can be ambassadors taking a lead from the likes of @Debandez and people like her who set an example, I try spreading the word in a much more modest way, I have my kids listening, some friends are interested or inquisitive and believe it or not my three young granddaughters are always asking questions about my diet and taking note. The future holds hope"

Yes do so agree..Absolute Horror story.

Like those movies where you pick up a stranger, treat him like a friend ....
only to find out HE'S the killer...:***:

just a little time today to have a good rummage through the posts outside here.

spotted this.
"..Metabolic syndrome . People with insulin resistance often have a group of conditions including
high blood sugar,
extra fat around the waist,
high blood pressure,
and high cholesterol
and triglycerides..."
https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-2-diabetes#1

had a scare back in 2011, bloods done, (Luckily i asked for print out, scores now online )
old BP high, but nothing else mentioned..Hba1c not checked.:sorry:
Just the old eatwell and move more advise, which i did from then until DX 7 years later..:bag:

Found losing weight hard, ate well 'apparently', exercised and an active (mobile) job, so little sitting
yet found that the jean size kept creeping up until i resigned myself to a 40" waist trouser in 2017 :eek:

yet .................Was......july 2019
choloestrol ....7.3.........5.5
trigs................6.7.........1.21
hdl..................1.01.......1.45
Ldl.................3.34*.....3.5
*n/a used 2012 data

so i believe now, that as far back as 2011 i was either with metabolic syndrome, or at least on my way to it.
yet no mention was made of it at the time.:banghead:

we really are in a world with a dearth of information regarding the untold and unknown damage we are
doing to ourselves with the foods we grow, manufacture and now seem to invent in Labs.

Never more so has the 'wisdom of crowds ' been as relevant or as important as now..
love how this forum and it's wonderful members lift the rocks to show us the ugly side
of what THEY want us to think.... Long live the Forum, Viva Las information highway

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist painting your own cards for close friends and family is a lovely thing to do, lucky them.
@ianpspurs your granddaughter is gorgeous. Re disparity between Libre and finger prick, it’s well known that Libre runs lower as it’s measuring interstitial fluid rather than blood, there is also a lag time of around 15 mins. My HbA1c has always been a lot higher than finger pricks would suggest too, so I’m not expecting CGM to be comparable. I’m hoping it might show me where the peaks I’m obviously missing are, but so far results have run in parallel with eachother - peaks and troughs at same time, so no enlightenment yet.

Reactions: HarryBeau

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher I'm glad your son is OK. I hope you have had/are having a great time together. :)

Hi @SaskiaKC
Thank you. It turns out he had just left his flat and was approaching
London Bridge when he heard two gunshots. He had realised something was up a moment before because there was a really weird atmosphere all around, he said.

I was just hoping he hadn't been closer than he implied.

We had a lovely afternoon. A meal by the canal, and then a drive through the countryside and some villages, and a millpond was nearby. We attended a Christmas Tree Festival in an old church. And wandered round the ancient gravestones around it. It was a cold below 0C, a very wintry day today with mists and the sun shining through them. It was actually very beautiful.

He's on the train back to London now, and I am trying to get warm under my electric blanket.

It was really nice to see him, and we talked and talked and talked!

It was a very good day.
I hope you have a good day Saskia. And KittenCat too!
Take care
>^••^<

Reactions: mojo37