What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fajita bowl was very good @DJC3 & @PenguinMum. Only thing I did to it was to add some sliced red peppers as well as green, added a bit chopped cucumber and did a mix of sour cream/mayo/lemon juice for the dressing. I am full! Even Hubby said it was rather good!
@DJC3 - are you getting the weekly weight loss for good emails from Diet Doctor? If so there is a button on the email - Go to Course. Click on that and it takes you to that week. You have the individual days that you can click on (which I use during the week to see what I'm supposed to be eating) or if you scroll down a bit that week's meal plan is there. Click anywhere on the pictures and it takes you there. If you've altered it (as I am prone to do) just underneath the meal plan pictures is a link to your altered versions that takes you straight there. There are also links to the various hints and tips and course articles.
The fajita bowl was really easy. Ripped up lettuce, chopped up tomatoes and avocado. I added in chopped cucumber as I said. Pop it into a bowl. They just used sour cream - I mixed mayo, sour cream and lemon juice. Only cooking is put sliced chicken breast into a wok and stir fry with a little oil. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and the sliced peppers, stir and cook a but more then add the seasoning mix (I used fajita mix). You might need a touch more oil. Stir until the chicken is totally cooked then serve on top of the chopped salad, add grated mexican cheese, sprinkle over chopped coriander and enjoy - glass of dry white would have been wonderful with it but I'm trying to stay away from it for now.

Ah thanks, I wondered if the emails might be an easier way.
I am still having the odd glass of wine. Seems a shame not to when some of the meals have been so rich and delicious.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@maglil55 I am taking insulin and trying to see how far I can reduce it and still keep my BG reasonably low.

Today it didn't work so well. FBG was 4.9 - that after BG 7.9 last night and a smaller than usual basal dose (not much lower). I had to go out again this morning (to Stornoway for a nurse's appointment). So I had another 2 eggs scrambled with butter and a little cream after insulin of 32 units. When I came back BG was 7.4 but by 12.35 it was 6.5.

Had more insulin (32 units) and chicken wings - 5 of them.

7 pm - BG 7.8, 34 units and 3 sardines.

We'll see what happens. Obviously just about under control, but still not good at the slightly lower bolus dose. Feeling a bit nauseous but at least, since stopping beef, my insides are not burning. I will try beef again - just to see how I react - but not yet.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@maglil55 I am taking insulin and trying to see how far I can reduce it and still keep my BG reasonably low.

Today it didn't work so well. FBG was 4.9 - that after BG 7.9 last night and a smaller than usual basal dose (not much lower). I had to go out again this morning (to Stornoway for a nurse's appointment). So I had another 2 eggs scrambled with butter and a little cream after insulin of 32 units. When I came back BG was 7.4 but by 12.35 it was 6.5.

Had more insulin (32 units) and chicken wings - 5 of them.

7 pm - BG 7.8, 34 units and 3 sardines.

We'll see what happens. Obviously just about under control, but still not good at the slightly lower bolus dose. Feeling a bit nauseous but at least, since stopping beef, my insides are not burning. I will try beef again - just to see how I react - but not yet.
I just worry for you x Don't want you to hypo.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah thanks, I wondered if the emails might be an easier way.
I am still having the odd glass of wine. Seems a shame not to when some of the meals have been so rich and delicious.
I've kept my campari and soda on a Sunday but staying off the wine for now. You're right though, the meals are delicious. It's changed a lot since @Brunneria, @Chook & myself did the 2 week challenge. This week has been particularly enjoyable. I'm returning to week 2 (I think)next week before I don my snorkel for the Deep Dive!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Breakfast after swimming one slice bacon,egg and half a toasted chaffle
Lunch cheese and celery sticks
Mid pm coffee and a few squares of montezumas 100% with orange oil
Dinner chicken wrapped with prosciutto with asparagus and caulirice stir fried with ginger and mushrooms. Pudding lc cake warmed with yoghurt oh also I had a glass of dry fizz to mark my relief today at my 6monthly review tests. I had bloods taken a week and a half ago and have been fretting quietly ever since - especially when took so long to appear on my online records. I’ve expected a phone call any day. The last four months have been especially difficult for me with repeat dental abscesses followed by eventual gum surgery and extraction in December plus continued major caring stress throughout and all these events have reflected in higher bgs at times over that period on my meter. Food wasn’t affecting it but stress and infection definitely were so by time got result today I was expecting the worst so I was greatly relieved that although gone up it’s still very low and healthy phew. Previous two hbaca1s were 30 and 29 and today’s was 34 - feel I’ve dodged a bullet.
Also dr still not happy with my cholesterol but I’m pleased the total has gone down one point and my HDL has gone up one point plus my trigs a bit lower to 0.9 so all good.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I just worry for you x Don't want you to hypo.

That's just what I did yesterday morning - at least, I had all the symptoms but my BG at that point (5.30) was 4.1, which isn't really a hypo, although close. That's why I am trying to reduce the doses of both basal and bolus little by little. Just received an appointment through the post to see the hospital dietician - I have no idea who has referred me. I have been avoiding her - she has some very old-fashioned attitudes. I'll go though - you never know, she might have changed her views. I don't suppose she'll approve of me experimenting on myself, but without medical support, what else can I do?

PS My friend, who has been on lchf for a few months now has been told she is no longer prediabetic! Great news for her - especially since she has also lost about 3 stones in weight.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Dinner chicken wrapped with prosciutto with asparagus and caulirice stir fried with ginger and mushrooms. Pudding lc cake warmed with yoghurt oh also I had a glass of dry fizz to mark my relief today at my 6monthly review tests. I had bloods taken a week and a half ago and have been fretting quietly ever since - especially when took so long to appear on my online records. I’ve expected a phone call any day. The last four months have been especially difficult for me with repeat dental abscesses followed by eventual gum surgery and extraction in December plus continued major caring stress throughout and all these events have reflected in higher bgs at times over that period on my meter. Food wasn’t affecting it but stress and infection definitely were so by time got result today I was expecting the worst so I was greatly relieved that although gone up it’s still very low and healthy phew. Previous two hbaca1s were 30 and 29 and today’s was 34 - feel I’ve dodged a bullet.
Also dr still not happy with my cholesterol but I’m pleased the total has gone down one point and my HDL has gone up one point plus my trigs a bit lower to 0.9 so all good.
Congratulations on the results.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late Lunch: Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon killing time in city centre before a meeting: coconut cappuccino
Dinner: bbq chicken drumsticks, coleslaw, leafy salad and lamb and mint crackling followed by SF jelly, cream and macadamia and coconut keto granola

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Hi all

Congratulations - that's a wonderful Hba1c result. x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

yesterday:
No B
L: airfryer sirloin
D: airfryer ribeye steak and goeatsmilk yog and a spoon of peanut butter

today:
B of bone broth and a small lc hot choc. We were out of cream! Horror! So I used salted butter instead. Think I prefer it... will have to try it again, over and over, to make sure ;)
L: airfryer ribeye
D: lc gf homemade pizza with cheese, a smear of passata, ham, pepperoni and more cheese

Delivery came.
3 x 227g ribeye and 3 x hand cut 400g ribeye in freezer now. The 400g ones are HUGE, and unfortunately all edge fat trimmed off :( ah well, will have to serve with butter.

Mr B is going through a chicken phase (kebabs, stirfry with piri piri and roast with cheese and leek) so I will have to stray from the steaks for a bit.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

Agree, all good, well done, particularly after such a difficult couple of months.

Winnie-the-Pooh

Today , less of a disaster .

Breakfast : omelette at work . It had ham , and olives and spinach . With black coffee .

Lunch : a tiny bowl of chicken salad plus a tiny bowl of a runny chicken-less chicken soup

Snack : one tiny baby chocolate covered biscuit. Was nice .

Dinner : will have a bit of chili leftover ( not much is left ) plus mushrooms and then lemon tea , sugar free chocolate and fruits . Very hungry right now. I might eat my backpack with the laptop in it.

Will be going to an opera shorty . I will need to decide what to wear . I have lots of dresses but not many heels I can wear because I love heavy boots . I had to take off my heels in our work Christmas party while wearing a floor length dress , like Cinderella Bf put them in his suit pocket and it looked so funny .

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Chinese New Year playmates. Dr Google states the date to be tomorrow, but around these parts, they state differently. The firecrackers have been doing honkers since about 02:00, and by the time I went for my early walk around 07:00, many tables were already paid on drives, parking areas and forecourts. Few were dressed, but I will be curious to see what appears later.

Most mornings I encounter a group of about 6-8 Buddhist monks, collecting their alms for the day. I imagine their collection would have been bumper today.

Every day at 11:00, we hear the drums beat in the monestary, to inform them Thayer have an hour left, before their fast until dawn begins. They really are true followers of the IF trend, although they likely started it!

Dinner tonight could be interested as there are supposed to be no sharp implements used on CNY, so I hope there was plenty prep done yesterday!!

Winnie-the-Pooh

Raspberries:
Anyone has experience with BG increase after eating raspberries ?

I love raspberries and their sight and taste and smell makes me so happy !

Sometimes I just fill a bowl with raspberries and just look at them gorgeously siting there in the bowl . So eventually I want to eat them ( I cannot look them endlessly). At that point, I only eat maybe 10 -12 but not too many . They increase my BG at most 35 which is 2 in U.K. metrics . But I try to eat them when BG is low and won’t have any other carbs or sweets with them.

What will happen if I eat a full bowl of raspberries ( like I am tempted to)? If I eat a slice of a raspberry tart, once in a while , would that be a disaster?

Do you do these things ? Little enjoyments in life that diabetes has robbed us from ...

Is there any medicine , one can take and then eat a slice of raspberry tart ? Make it a big slice , please

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Raspberries:

Sometimes I just fill a bowl with raspberries and just look at them gorgeously siting there in the bowl . So eventually I want to eat them ( I cannot look them endlessly). At that point, I only eat maybe 10 -12 but not too many . They increase my BG at most 35 which is 2 in U.K. metrics . But I try to eat them when BG is low and won’t have any other carbs or sweets with them.

What will happen if I eat a full bowl of raspberries ( like I am tempted to)? If I eat a slice of a raspberry tart, once in a while , would that be a disaster?

Do you do these things ? Little enjoyments in life that diabetes has robbed us from ...

Is there any medicine , one can take and then eat a slice of raspberry tart ? Make it a big slice , please
I always buffer the blueberries I eat with a bit of protein and fat. So maybe you could try eating 100g of raspberries, with some Greek yogurt.

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 24/01/2020
Weird day of eating, and testing
FBG: 4.7 but dealing with pulled chest muscle, and haven't been exercising.

Breakfast: 50g rolled oats, 63g blueberries, 202g greek yogurt (finished off container), 15g unsalted peanut butter

Lunch
5.0 before lunch, but had use ventolin three times, and had walked home from going grocery shopping and catching bus.
8 beet, corn flour crackers, with Vegemite and 40g 50% reduced fat cheese. 80g raw tomato, 100g sauerkraut, 100ml hot salsa, mustard. Blue Dinosaur protein bar. 9.6g sugar total, 2.5g fiber, but had dates, maple syrup, almond butter, MCT oil, 14g fat total. As a treat on special occasions this would be excellent. sugar free mountain dew, zero sugar energy drink.
After 1 hour 6.2
After 2 hour 5.8
So not to bad for a peak rose of 1.2

Dinner:not tested
2 XL eggs, 0.5 tsp olive oil. 100ml hot salsa, 125g mushrooms, 250g zucchini noodles, 2 light laughing cow cheese wedges, 2 lemon garlic herb olives.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Raspberries:

I
Try it and test both with and without cream. Its the only way to find out how you personally tolerate different foods. We are all different (thankfully). I'm fairly okay with raspberries and grow loads in my garden.