What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

a rather weird day today on account of a long mtg across lunch time.

B: bone broth and LC hot choc.
L: no time
D: at 4 pm 8 lamb chops. Yes, 8. Admittedly, by that time I would have eaten anything, even a small child. But these were very, very small chops. Less than a centimetre thick and the main meat blob was a single mouthful. Nice keto macros though.

may have yog later.

and, for the mutt enthusiasts, here are the Terrific Triumvirate in all their horrific glory.

A special treat: scrambled eggs in local dog friendly cafe

69D76015-4544-4CC0-AFBA-110F8C786AA5.jpeg

no 3, begging. The brat
@Quinn1066 she is 3/4 pug and 1/4 Chinese crested. A bizarre and accidental combo. Now 10 months old. She has pug appetite and tail, Cc legs and waistline, a compromise nose, and a very gentle, sweet, utterly irrepressible personality.
344710E5-189A-4C3E-90AE-3851665361DC.jpeg

no 1, drifting off to sleep
990A578B-855F-41F7-A5E9-67FAC63938A0.jpeg

no 2, just waking up, with a bad case of Bed Head
464AF781-F820-4A55-8657-C0C5AE98E354.jpeg

Today, they have eaten Nutriment Beef with Tripe (raw dog food), and a few fragments of lamb chop meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, all you cooks, low carbers and cute doggies (although gift wraps don't seem very low carb, nor carnivorous to me, @Brunneria )!
I've never taken much notice of this thread, as I don't see myself as low carbing (erm, sweet specialty Belgian beers, sorry), but thinking about it, I actually do eat pretty low carb, and might start to follow this thread a bit more :)
I got the advice to ask here because of the good cooks in the thread, so I hope asking a question is all right here, instead of sharing what I've eaten today as the thread title says.

In short: next tuesday I will have an ox-tail. I have never prepared or even seen one, apart from once in some leftover casserole someone gave me, and of course when still attatched to the cows in their pastures.
What do I do with it to get the best dish?

I'm thinking it would be very good in an eastern european inspired saurkraut dish with cream, tomatoes, and lots of paprika, but I think a spicy Indonesian inspired dish would be good as well. Anything else is fine too, provided it tastes yummy :)
In all cases, the main thing is how to prepare the ox-tail to make it as soft and tasty as possible, anything low to moderately low carb goes.

I have a stove-top and one of those round things you can use under your pot to make the heat less intense and spread it more evenly under the pot, I have a working oven (no grill), I have one of those (but not the horrifying ceramic dog!), and a microwave. I don't think my oven goes below 150 degrees Celsius or so, it's at least 70 years old.
So what do I do with my tail?

$_84.JPG

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria loving the doggie photos and their what they ate today contributions! Butter wouldn’t melt hey! Oh course they never do anything remotely naughty.......
@Goonergal im trying to have more lactofree too as it’s low carb like cream but have been struggling to source the whole fat version since before Christmas - so have had to have semi skimmed and add a little dash of cream to up the fat content a bit of a shame as I did like it in coffee - will keep looking!
@DJC3 dd salmon looks good think need to add more of their meals to my repertoire - you can get stuck in a rut!
@PenguinMum i buy more veggies for freezer these days rather than fresh for fridge - like you I hate waste and when you can’t have large portions of veggies and salads it’s easy to be at risk of waste.
Breakfast one slice of bacon and one egg with half a toasted chaffle
No lunch just coffee from flask as went on a long walk in my nearby forest - I count myself very lucky with some wonderful walks from my home.
Dinner Cajun chicken, hm coleslaw, butter cooked mushrooms, onions and halloumi fries with a small glass of dry white followed by lc lemon sponge pudding served with some warm keto lemon curd.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

In short: next tuesday I will have an ox-tail. I have never prepared or even seen one, apart from once in some leftover casserole someone gave me, and of course when still attatched to the cows in their pastures.
n all cases, the main thing is how to prepare the ox-tail to make it as soft and tasty as possible, anything low to moderately low carb goes.
Chuck them ina slow cooker for six hours for low carb goodness...

aV8zwvD.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm thinking it would be very good in an eastern european inspired saurkraut dish with cream, tomatoes, and lots of paprika, but I think a spicy Indonesian inspired dish would be good as well. Anything else is fine too, provided it tastes yummy :)
In all cases, the main thing is how to prepare the ox-tail to make it as soft and tasty as possible, anything low to moderately low carb goes.

I have a stove-top and one of those round things you can use under your pot to make the heat less intense and spread it more evenly under the pot, I have a working oven (no grill), I have one of those (but not the horrifying ceramic dog!), and a microwave. I don't think my oven goes below 150 degrees Celsius or so, it's at least 70 years old.
So what do I do with my tail?

@Antje77 your suggestions made me think of @ziggy_w and her menus. Tagging in the hope she’s around. @maglil55 too.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast: Usual three egg mushroom and cheese omelette, bacon, tomatoes, lower carb spudlite.
Lunch: Barbequed snags, onions.
Dinner: Pork chops, veggies, brown onion gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, water.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; homemade pecan granola, one slice burgen
Lunch: mini samosa, cherry tomatoes, half an avocado, salami. Seven cherries, double cream and h/m choc granola
Mid afternoon: decaff mocha out with friend
Tea: beef bone broth in an attempt to claw back carbs after mocha! Brie
Snacks: protein bar, three squares turmeric choc.

Loving the nutracheck app - find myself recording things I'd 'forgotten' about. Also good for offsetting the occasional treat with abstinence in other areas!!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.45 = 2 x 800 mls Sencha tea + 2hrs test, wait a little 2 x pint Assam with almond milk, wait 2 hrs then test; .1 rise then .2 fall; Lunch = Heather and peat smoked salmon with rocket and spinach with vinaigrette then a slice of Christmas gammon which had been frozen - part of clearing freezer; .1 rise; Evening: lamb shank, roasted spinach and broccoli (brushed with mct oil) then 2 x DGF choc brownies (more freezer clearing) with 1-2 tsps extra thick double cream. Sencha was very, very good. Salmon, vinaigrette and veggies were very good. The gammon was good. Julie and her friend who is staying like lamb and it was reduced. The DGF are gone.

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for tagging me, @Goonergal. Yes, I am still generally around (wouldn't really want to leave this awesome thread anyway). Unfortunately, a bit busy with work right now -- as it is final exam period here in Germany. Just finished my last exams today, so hope to catch up soon.

@Antje77 -- Oxtail is wonderful, a very fatty and flavorful type of meat. Usually I use it in soup, with beef broth, green beans, celery and whatever other leftover vegetables I find in my fridge, often I even throw in a few pulses/legumes. All your suggestions sound absolutely wonderful too and, to be honest, are just so much more creative than what I do with it. I find the suggestion with sauerkraut especially inspiring. The fattiness of the oxtail and the acidity of the sauerkraut sound like a match made in heaven. (Btw, I often use cream and caraway seeds in sauerkraut, for a change of taste). I agree with @Tipetoo, just give it enough time and keep the heat a bit lower, 150 degrees will be just fine, no need to go lower than this.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Normal lunch of eggs bacon and cheese with dinner of bacon wrapped meatloaf.

@DJC3 I’ve been trying to use less cream too. Had a couple of weeks just using lactofree whole milk in tea but having reverted to cream at work last week, decided its waaay nicer, so have bought a 150ml pot for home and when it’s gone it’ll be back to the lactofree.

@PenguinMum sounds a sensible approach, not stingy at all.

A 150ml pot of cream would be better, they only sell 300 or 600ml in my local Coop unfortunately, and no lactofree. Maybe I’ll have to make an effort to get to a bigger supermarket once in a while. Cream makes everything lovely, but I think I was getting as hooked on it as I was to sugar previously. Cold turkey may be best sadly.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A 150ml pot of cream would be better, they only sell 300 or 600ml in my local Coop unfortunately, and no lactofree. Maybe I’ll have to make an effort to get to a bigger supermarket once in a while. Cream makes everything lovely, but I think I was getting as hooked on it as I was to sugar previously. Cold turkey may be best sadly.

Same here. Far too easy to whip up the contents of a larger pot and eat it. The lactofree keeps for ages - well past the use by date and you can freeze it, so stocking up would be possible. Easier to ration a small pot of cream.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 dd salmon looks good think need to add more of their meals to my repertoire - you can get stuck in a rut!

It was good, their recipes are always simple and quick too aren’t they? I used the fresh pesto from the chilled aisle in M&S, it’s lovely, with whole pine nuts

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Same here. Far too easy to whip up the contents of a larger pot and eat it. The lactofree keeps for ages - well past the use by date and you can freeze it, so stocking up would be possible. Easier to ration a small pot of cream.

Good to know the lactofree freezes, thanks.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your help, @Tipetoo , @Goonergal, and especially @ziggy_w for your expressed faith in my cooking! I love being creative in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean I always love the results :bag:
As far as I understand it doesn't really matter what I do with it as long as I do it long and on low heat. Do I first sear it on high heat or not? I'm guessing I need to add fluid (water, wine, broth, beer, whatever) when leaving it for hours in the oven or on my cooker thing, is that right? I don't think I've ever made slow cooked meat of any kind.

Whatever happens with my tail, I'll post a picture with it next week, and a recipe if it tasted good :)

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your help, @Tipetoo , @Goonergal, and especially @ziggy_w for your expressed faith in my cooking! I love being creative in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean I always love the results :bag:
As far as I understand it doesn't really matter what I do with it as long as I do it long and on low heat. Do I first sear it on high heat or not? I'm guessing I need to add fluid (water, wine, broth, beer, whatever) when leaving it for hours in the oven or on my cooker thing, is that right? I don't think I've ever made slow cooked meat of any kind.

Whatever happens with my tail, I'll post a picture with it next week, and a recipe if it tasted good :)
Yeah you have the right idea. Usually in a good dutch oven on the stove top you sear the meat ox tail in some fat, to get a nice good browning happening. Then turn the heat down add a bit of liquid and cover and let it cook, one you hear a change in sound, or you can check on it in half an hour, go and add a bit more liquid. That's how my mum and I do pot roasts or braise any tough piece of meat to make it tender and good. Just keep on cooking until the meat is fork tender and falls apart.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Day 3 of my holibobs
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: ham with leafy salad and Wildings salt and pepper duck crackling followed by low carb carrot cake and cream.
Mid afternoon: birthday cake phd bar and Diet Coke by the pool.
Dinner at a restaurant: grand slam burger, that was a beef burger, a chicken breast, streaky bacon, cheese, lettuce and tomato, red onion (no bun) sauces on the side (which I didn’t bother with) and a side of veggies in place of chips. Followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola back at our villa.

1CEB7B9C-5F68-4499-A745-AE42E2C037A2.jpeg