What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So suddenly the name Bert Weedon pops into my head then I roam around youtube and remember The Shadows. Great way to spend an evening in same room while Julie is watching various things that aren't sport. Headphones and youtube - secret of a happy marriage:angelic:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently @DJC3 his character was Danny Wilde with an "e" at the end.:)

Yes I remember very well now you’ve jogged my memory.
Once when the Persuaders was at its height of popularity, towards the end of term most of my year at school went on a trip to nearby Black Park, (close to Pinewood studios) as a treat. My class was held back as our teacher decided we’d rather watch dull slides on Ancient Rome. Imagine our horror when the others came back and said they’d met RM and TC filming in Black Park, they chatted and got autographs and said both were very friendly. I don’t think I’ve ever hated anyone with such passion as I hated that poor teacher who unwittingly stopped me meeting my idol!

Reactions: Muddy Cyclist

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So suddenly the name Bert Weedon pops into my head then I roam around youtube and remember The Shadows. Great way to spend an evening in same room while Julie is watching various things that aren't sport. Headphones and youtube - secret of a happy marriage:angelic:

I am doing the same Mrs MC is watching gardening programs, not my thing so sat in front of Log Burner listening to music on YouTube.

The Shadows, have you noticed how they aged looking much the same as they did in 1969?

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks one and all for your wishing me good numbers for my afternoon HbA1c. Won't know the results until Thursday so will just have to sit back and do as @PenguinMum suggests and don't stress and hope that @dogslife and @ianpspurs encouraging predictions are correct.

Managed to get in a cold but wonderfully bright and sunny Muddy Cycle ride this morning, so mood is much better and aches and pains subsided although my BG is still 6.3 and all I had for breakfast was a boiled egg, yes I know that exercise pushes it up but never happy with numbers out of the 5s.

Soon be off to dodge the bugs at the health centre and receive my freely issued bruise, there is one nurse who always hurts but never causes a bruise, another that never hurts but causes huge bruises. I wonder which I will have the pleasure of meeting today?
Little bit behind on posts today, if I haven't already done so, wish you well for your blood test.

Reactions: HarryBeau

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am going to have a nap now...it was a beautiful sunny day today so I went for a drive along the coast after breakfast. Then I will try and read back on the posts. I will make a cup of tea first...that might wake me up...
Pleased to see that you are feeling better, sunshine can make such a difference. Enjoyed your painting earlier, got lost with posts so just catching up.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today's painting is another Plein Air, almost. This morning I had to take Mrs MC to the farm to turn out the horse, our Golf VW is being mended after the bump I had a few weeks back, Mrs MC won't drive VW Camper unless desperate so I am on farm run duty. I had 1 hour to kill and sat in camper van todo this painting looking across the farm. Water colour, plein air, A4 size sketch book time taken 1 hour.
View attachment 38941

Snowing here now.

I love that picture. :) Like some of your other landscapes, it reminds me of Auburn, Alabama.

Screenshot 2020-02-25 at 6.03.30 PM.png

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I am doing the same Mrs MC is watching gardening programs, not my thing so sat in front of Log Burner listening to music on YouTube.

The Shadows, have you noticed how they aged looking much the same as they did in 1969?

Wow! Thanks for sharing this @Muddy Cyclist. You've just made my day. Not so long ago we went to see Cliff and The Shadows in concert. People were impressed that we were going to see Sir Cliff Richard live but the highlight for me was seeing/ hearing Hank playing his guitar! Such an amazing sound.:joyful:

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I remember very well now you’ve jogged my memory.
Once when the Persuaders was at its height of popularity, towards the end of term most of my year at school went on a trip to nearby Black Park, (close to Pinewood studios) as a treat. My class was held back as our teacher decided we’d rather watch dull slides on Ancient Rome. Imagine our horror when the others came back and said they’d met RM and TC filming in Black Park, they chatted and got autographs and said both were very friendly. I don’t think I’ve ever hated anyone with such passion as I hated that poor teacher who unwittingly stopped me meeting my idol!

I think it was 1974 when I came home from college for Thanksgiving. My boyfriend had been going to take me to see George Harrison, in town on his Dark Horse tour. At the last minute my boyfriend decided he'd rather go watch a local Christmas tree lighting ceremony with his family. I drove my best (female) friend's twin sister to the concert, because she had a ticket, and I let her off to the sound of other people out on the sidewalk trying to scalp their tickets, none of which I had money for.
So yeah. I get how you feel about that teacher.
Hug.

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.

Thanks for sharing this @ianpspurs. We went to see Sir Cliff and the Shadows a while ago and listened to them playing "Apache" amongst many other well known numbers from that era. Happy memories!:)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Come to think of it, we bought our Opel from a Buick dealer, and Buicks are made by GM.
I wish we'd known about the spacers and swing arms. What are those, by the way? :)
sorry @SaskiaKC
late back to this.

here's a video,
for adaptors and spacers..Not something i ever did, so not up to speed with all the details.
Just that if i had of had a car that i liked but getting the tyres where an issue, then i might have looked into what i could get easily, and THEN see if i could retrofit a spacer to accommodate that steel rim, wheel size, etc

But the swing arm i did do a little more thinking on, but decided no.
it elongates or enlarges the rear wheel area a tyre will fit.
reportedly gives better 0-60,(more rubber to grab the road, and a little better grip around the track)
if i'm honest the bike far exceeds my riding skills, so it would only have been a vanity project
to fit wider tyres, hence the need for a different swing arm

this is a sort of extreme example, but a beautiful one.
same model; as mine..might go a little faster..(if you like that sort of thing..:D:D:D)

martins rf900.jpg

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry @SaskiaKC
late back to this.

here's a video,
for adaptors and spacers..Not something i ever did, so not up to speed with all the details.
Just that if i had of had a car that i liked but getting the tyres where an issue, then i might have looked into what i could get easily, and THEN see if i could retrofit a spacer to accommodate that steel rim, wheel size, etc

But the swing arm i did do a little more thinking on, but decided no.
it elongates or enlarges the rear wheel area a tyre will fit.
reportedly gives better 0-60,(more rubber to grab the road, and a little better grip around the track)
if i'm honest the bike far exceeds my riding skills, so it would only have been a vanity project
to fit wider tyres, hence the need for a different swing arm

this is a sort of extreme example, but a beautiful one.
same model; as mine..might go a little faster..(if you like that sort of thing..:D:D:D)

View attachment 38949

Wow, that is a very cool bike!
And I would be terrified to ride it even as a passenger. :)
Thank you for posting it and the video about the spacers. :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pleased to see that you are feeling better, sunshine can make such a difference. Enjoyed your painting earlier, got lost with posts so just catching up.
Thank you very much @Ryhia
Seeing the sun is important, even if it is only a few minutes daily.
I am losing the catch up battle at the moment...

Reactions: Ryhia and HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I've just been watching highlights from this year's Westminster dog show and I thought about one of the things I love about Dennis, and admire about you. Or 3 of the things. He has his ears and a lovely tail. The other Schnauzers I have seen and known have been cropped and docked, and in contrast Dennis looks much better, just IMO. Just FWIW.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 I've just been watching highlights from this year's Westminster dog show and I thought about one of the things I love about Dennis, and admire about you. Or 3 of the things. He has his ears and a lovely tail. The other Schnauzers I have seen and known have been cropped and docked, and in contrast Dennis looks much better, just IMO. Just FWIW.

no axe to grind, just thought i'd mention

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...dog-food-linked-canine-heart-disease-n1025466

Reactions: DJC3

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you. Yes, it's appalling. Just a week or so ago I was watching The Kitten Bowl and The Cat Bowl on TV and one of the sponsors was Rachael Ray cat foods. My cat won't touch it. And the Blue Buffalo products are ridiculous, or would be if they weren't so bad. I remember decades ago Purina started advertising a "nutritious" new food for dogs that consisted of lamb and rice. Lamb, OK, I mean, wolves and coyotes go after sheep. But rice?
And I laugh at the ridiculous cat food people who add vegetables to canned cat food. And cheese. Most cats are lactose intolerant after their mothers wean them.
OK, down off my soapbox ... :bag::)

Reactions: DJC3