What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 5.6 this morning which I put down to roast beef and some garden peas ;)

I know from the posts that some folk feel that the internet is being overloaded. Just to say that what you experience as delays are generally due to the process of 'throttling' by your internet provider. It is a common practice, although they do deny it, and doesn't really signify increased traffic but rather decreased service. Oversubscription can often lead to throttling in a world where profit is all. There are a lot of VPN providers, some claim to be free, but one of the best is IPVanish.

Oh, you can avoid throttling by accessing your internet through a virtual private network (VPN), this hides you not only from the bad people of the net but from your provider as well, and you don't get throttled :)

And the people stayed home.
And read books and listened, and rested and exercised,
and made art and played games,
and learned new ways of being and were still.
And listened more deeply.
Some meditated, some prayed, some danced.
Some met their shadows.
And the people began to think differently.

And the people healed.
And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless and heartless ways the earth began to heal.

I had this sent to my FB wall, I love it and wholeheartedly hope it will happen but my brain isn't in agreement with my heart ;)

@Ryhia Never mind Darth Vader, more like Daft Ada ;):)

@Muddy Cyclist as you've asked out of concern I'll give my thoughts
1. Outside exercise in open areas should be ok, you are conscientiously monitoring your immediate area to maintain your isolation
2. Choose easier, less risky, runs that may not tax you as much but will give you a good workout
3. I have no answer for this as I don't have family support so I have to do things.
4. You are living together, maybe that advice was for people who meet up in the park walking their dogs. I can't see any merit in being for a couple to be seperate when they sleep in the same bed
5. Yes, you are still self-isolating
6. They do what they do, you are aware of staying safe and minimising risks and there is most definitely a risk
7. I wouldn't go and I would expect family members to accept that
8. My doctor sent me a text message update this morning. Their opinion to me as a high-risk patient was to contact the surgery to log the potential for having the virus, monitor its progress and stay isolated. If your health deteriorates talk to the doctor via video conference or call 111. That's just my surgery though
9. Yes
10. Horses need care, your wife is being sensible in her approach and should just alert those around her that she is self-isolating and to respect it

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 5.1 for me today so bg doing its bit for the effort however weakly. @PenguinMum great fbg and may I join those hoping your internet continues to provide you with access. @trick60 I hope an early start allows adequate social distance. @Muddy Cyclist very worrying email from care home but great fbg. Puppies have no idea of anything much except each other

icQLonkX1KOIjqKhVqF2cwnDb_Iq4WOyR_1wgm3OQGrvi6msTZxUwjbGsgZNtkB4J3CkyF6UUkI1fdDGUwHp63bS3_rf9u6i48go0_jIJWox0drk59oopiFzdb3UWU8tE6FlX8RV

Have a great day, look after yourselves as the best way of looking after the vulnerable. 'Twas ever thus but forgotten for a couple of generations.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak and geefull

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Muddy Cyclist All I can speak to is your horse question. Is Mrs MC's yard DIY? Or full livery/board? If the latter, can she pay more for more care? If the former, can she arrange with another boarder, perhaps one of the police boarders, to check on her horse? Or surely they could advise as to this being essential travel/care on her part. I hope.
DIY and of course she enjoys it so mental wellbeing, yes I'm sure help would be at hand if she is prevented from going, but there is still that niggling guilt of should she or shouldn't she. I fear we are of a generation that tries to respect authority, although many of our friends don't.
Same here MC I haven't bothered with my FBG I am now taking my temperature first thing...so far it's normal wanting to make sure I am well & I don't pass anything on unwittingly...as for the confusion many are still puzzled by the guidance issued I am all we can do is use our common sense wouldn't it be wonderful if our current administration did the same.
Thank you it's heartening to know we are not alone in these uncertainties.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know from the posts that some folk feel that the internet is being overloaded. Just to say that what you experience as delays are generally due to the process of 'throttling' by your internet provider. It is a common practice, although they do deny it, and doesn't really signify increased traffic but rather decreased service. Oversubscription can often lead to throttling in a world where profit is all. There are a lot of VPN providers, some claim to be free, but one of the best is IPVanish.

Oh, you can avoid throttling by accessing your internet through a virtual private network (VPN), this hides you not only from the bad people of the net but from your provider as well, and you don't get throttled :)

Thank you. :)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
DIY and of course she enjoys it so mental wellbeing, yes I'm sure help would be at hand if she is prevented from going, but there is still that niggling guilt of should she or shouldn't she. I fear we are of a generation that tries to respect authority, although many of our friends don't.

Thank you it's heartening to know we are not alone in these uncertainties.

In her place, I would go care for the horse, and myself at the same time. :)

Reactions: HarryBeau

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all. 5.1 for me today so bg doing its bit for the effort however weakly. @PenguinMum great fbg and may I join those hoping your internet continues to provide you with access. @trick60 I hope and early start allows adequate social distance. @Muddy Cyclist very worrying email from care home but great fbg. Puppies have no idea of anything much except each other

icQLonkX1KOIjqKhVqF2cwnDb_Iq4WOyR_1wgm3OQGrvi6msTZxUwjbGsgZNtkB4J3CkyF6UUkI1fdDGUwHp63bS3_rf9u6i48go0_jIJWox0drk59oopiFzdb3UWU8tE6FlX8RV

Have a great day, look after yourselves as the best way of looking after the vulnerable. Twas ever thus but forgotten for a couple of generations.

Thank you so much for posting that sweet picture of Bill and Ben. :) Hugs to all 4 of you.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear about care home food situation, this really should not be happening.
and @ianpspurs
Last time this happened was Friday Last week the reason is the quantity they need to order is getting rejected apparently. Last time Asda management heard about it and bailed them out. But why such a huge concern and important care system should meet such restrictions is beyond me, must be the care homes administration or buying arrangements letting them down.

PM thank you for your supportive words re my confusions.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too. :meh:

And thank you for your detailed response to my list of confusions, very much appreciated and all similar to my own conclusion.
@Muddy Cyclist - quite agree with what has been posted by @OldButBold.
I too am in the at risk category (asthma and T2D) and am avoiding people like the plague. I am going for walks and also trying to pick quiet times for a bit of shopping - I am now thankful for those dance lessons in my youth which enable me to waft round other people at a, I hope, safe distance (I just imagine everyone wearing a crinoline dress.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 5.6 this morning which I put down to roast beef and some garden peas ;)

I had this sent to my FB wall, I love it and wholeheartedly hope it will happen but my brain isn't in agreement with my heart ;)

@Ryhia Never mind Darth Vader, more like Daft Ada ;):)

@Muddy Cyclist as you've asked out of concern I'll give my thoughts
1. Outside exercise in open areas should be ok, you are conscientiously monitoring your immediate area to maintain your isolation
2. Choose easier, less risky, runs that may not tax you as much but will give you a good workout
3. I have no answer for this as I don't have family support so I have to do things.
4. You are living together, maybe that advice was for people who meet up in the park walking their dogs. I can't see any merit in being for a couple to be seperate when they sleep in the same bed
5. Yes, you are still self-isolating
6. They do what they do, you are aware of staying safe and minimising risks and there is most definitely a risk
7. I wouldn't go and I would expect family members to accept that
8. My doctor sent me a text message update this morning. Their opinion to me as a high-risk patient was to contact the surgery to log the potential for having the virus, monitor its progress and stay isolated. If your health deteriorates talk to the doctor via video conference or call 111. That's just my surgery though
9. Yes
10. Horses need care, your wife is being sensible in her approach and should just alert those around her that she is self-isolating and to respect it
@Muddy Cyclist
I agree with everything @OldButBold says
However I have a concern with number 5..the possible proposed Volkswagen Camper excursion.
Yesterday as I came back from the retail park, it was still early, but various people were driving in, a little more aggressively by this time, there were so little parking spaces left, and people were trying to jump to get their car in the available parking space before the other person. Tempers were beginning to flare. I am driving out and I had to move my car sharply to the side from several people not caring about other cars. Then there were little old ladies driving their cars who for some reason were nervous and were weaving their cars over the middle of the road, and again I had to move my car sharply to the left to avoid being pranged by them, and I never even checked if a cyclist was on the left of me, fortunately there wasn't. Then finally there were the fast cars who were overtaking me in a 30, I was doing 29, and they cut in sharply in front of me. Also cars and traffic cut through from the expressway to down the steep hill by me, and they are doing 50, when the hill is a 30.This means I cannot come out at the end of my road safely to come down the hill, because there is a bend they come tearing round.

I agree with the sentiment driving the campervan to a remote place and having a cuppa, but I put the safety of my car first, and consequently I would not do it. However, you know where you drive and what the traffic is likely to be.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late - but never mind.

The wonder wheel of Sauerkraut and sausage last night came in with Germanic 5.6 this am - note to self - Sauerkraut is not as good for me as some people may think. Mind you, it was in a tin so probably had hidden gremlins. Tasty though - call it a day off.

I have to wander into town in a bit, another Snark hunt, this time for baby formula. I have been sent a photo of the exact type and been warned to check the expiry date. Will be restricting myself to only two shops and only going in if there are not too many people in. I do have a mask though and perhaps it will be of some use as beards give another layer of protection.

upload_2020-3-20_9-58-6.jpeg

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@dunelm
I love your mask
Brilliant!

oh dear, you changed it.... :)

Have you got a wand to go with it?

second thoughts you had better not answer that...

have you got a shepherds crook to go with it...

Reactions: SaskiaKC

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 4.7 at 06.30 didnt retest didnt see the point. The reduced amount of LC eating and the almost nightly now gin & soda paving the way.
@Ryhia thanks, lovely post. Its interesting lots of you saying internet sluggish, am sure it is demand. Losing it would be awful. Sending greetings to those of you busy busy and/or with caring responsibilities.
Have the best Friday possible. Stay well, stay stafe, stsy careful.
@jjraak will probably remember what mobile reception was like during the terrorist attack in London on July 2005 if he was living in the capital then, I was in London on business with a group of colleagues from around the country. Mobile networks just could not cope, could not get reception for love or money as everyone trying to call out at the same time. Fortunately one of our colleagues was from Northern Ireland and his network provider was a small obscure NI company. Came up trumps his network not affected so he was able to help us all out. I think its a foregone that we can all expect our network service to deteriorate due to more usage. Hope @OldButBold will still be able to play his computer games with some degree of satisfaction in the coming days.