What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I see that medics are admitting that the devillish covid19 doesn't necessarily go away quite as quickly as people might hope (eg Boris not getting over it yet) and that folk would feel very weary for a while afterwards. It's only to be expected, of course, that's normal with many viral infections. Don't expect too much, too quickly @maglil55 and do try to be a bit easy on yourself. Neil and I are both much better from our bout of whatever it was but both still having to clear our throats frequently and my nose keeps running. Obviously a lot still to clear away before we are back to normal.
I'm the same @Annb. I've come to the conclusion that my body is trying now to rid itself of the last of this virus(es), whatever they are, that has plagued me for the last 4 or 5 weeks. Having had a day free of funny turns they happened again yesterday and today. I'm nowhere near as bad as I was and they do pass over. This morning, I've had a niggling throat again. I think the easiest way to describe it is the way my throat used to feel many many years ago when I used to try to smoke when I had a cold (I stopped smoking a long, long time ago). Not painful, just niggling. I think I just have to accept this will take time to go completely.

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Chook - I recall you having some discussion about garden plants this summer?

I'e just had an email from Nextdoor, in which someone linked to one of our local garden centres, who are doing free home delivery for orders over £30. The range is limited and is mainly bedding, plugs and hanging baskets, but not unreasonably priced.

I guess they're trying to salvage what they can from their hard work in recent months.

That particular garden centre is owned by Dobbies these days, so maybe other Dobbies location could be doing something similar?
My local Dobbies has closed now but, yes, they are doing online sales for delivery May/June. Reduced lines though. They had been able to remain open as they had a large grocery section. All it says currently they have closed temporarily.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I hope everyone and their loved ones are keeping (or getting) well. :)i

We found out for sure that the warning from the Police wasn't meant for us but it has really has a quite amazing effect on Mr C. He has stuck within our house and garden today and, instead of going out to buy things, he's ordering them from eBay or Amazon. I'm just thankful he can't get Eccles cakes that way!

Another weird thing - next door's insurance company said we had to claim off our insurance (for a new front door) and our insurance would get it back from next door' insurance.. So I phoned our insurance and they saud we can't claim because it was only an accident and not malicious damage. So I asked what was the point of insurance if it didn't cover accidents. No answer to that. :banghead: Our neighbour has decided its probably best (and cheaper) if she pays for the door herself.

Today's planned menu...

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup

Lunch: Actimel and two little Quorn picnic eggs

Dinner: home made minestrone soup with parmesan and pesto. In the soup is leeks, carrots, swede, celery, fennel (bulb), french beans, savoy cabbage, cavalo nero, tomatoes (tinned), wine garlic, herbs and a couple of tins of mixed beans plus (for a nod to authenticity) i will be adding some broken up Aldi black bean pasta - yes, I've been clearing out the fridge :angelic: i think/hope its about eight portions.

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bad night - my recurrent dream of suffocating - twice. Luckily, both times I managed to wake myself up before it got too bad. The second time was about 4.30, so I decided to get up so that it wouldn't happen again. I went back to sleep in my big chair in the kitchen - the dream never happens if I'm sitting up, so that was OK. It is very distressing and when it happens, I find myself unwilling to go to bed in case it happens again. Might just sleep in the kitchen tonight.

Anyway - had a couple of RyVita with marmite for breakfast and around lunch time a few teaspoons of whipped cocoa cream. Tea, but not enough, so must have more to keep fluid levels topped up. I was busy making a hotpot for tonight's meal - in the oven just now. I wanted to make something to use up the chorizo that I open yesterday - not a proper one and actually not a very good one - Co-op's finest! Has to be used within 3 days of opening the packet. For a preserved meat, that doesn't sound right to me. Quite tasteless, apart from the spice and very, very dry and hard. It is meant to be eaten as is, but it needs to be cooked to make it edible. So - lots of veg and a chunk of the chorizo and a few bits of beef to make a hotpot. Might be too much there for one meal, so it will also be breakfast tomorrow.

The dietician at the hospital was quite alarmed when I told her that I make larger quantities of things than required and keep some for later, as well as freezing some - apparently risking food poisoning. I'm really not all that daft and I do have a bit of a background in food handling so I know the rules - even if I am getting dumber by the day.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Perhaps one of those high tech fridges could come with the ability to programme how often it can be opened!

D

Now that’s an idea! Or an alarm that swears at you when you open the door outside designated times

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most of day written off trying to make decisions about how best to help 89 year old mum who had a fall last night. She isn’t badly injured she damaged her foot - sounds like a soft tissue injury/small bone when she fell over on her foot. She didn’t ring her falls service as she didn’t want to be carted off in an ambulance - I told her that would have been unlikely in current situation! We’ve decided to wait and see how it goes and are hoping she rests and improves. If not, a 120 mile emergency trip up north will be needed to take care of her - we’d have to pick her up and shelter her at ours. If she needs care our view is that we would be a safer option but who knows? She’s managing drinks etc today so feel wait and see is most sensible just now. In normal times we would be in Yorkshire already! Difficult times make fairly minor injuries like this much more complex. Will review tomorrow. Rang Age UK who were very helpful and are also going to talk to her.
Snacky food today whilst stressing including
2 Lc hm granola bars
1 Lc cheese scone
Halloumi fries and pork
2 boiled eggs
1 Hc chocolate- from an Easter treat pack, raided a bit early! Felt needed treats today....... we can only do our best

Im sorry to hear about your mum, so stressful when you are not close by. I’m glad Age UK were helpful though. I think you did remarkably well on your stress snacks.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Today started with a small slice of farm shop hearty loaf toasted, lots of tea.
Lunch was mushroom soup and quarter of Mr PM’s apple.
Supper will be smoked haddock, cauli rice, brocolli.
Might celebrate Mr Fuzz’s safe return with a gin & soda.

@shelley262 sorry to read about your worry about your mum. I hope she is better today and you dont have to go and get her. Hope too she has everything she needs and voluntary help in her community.
@Annb hug for the nightmares horrible things. I often moved to the sofa during the night to interrupt them. For me they came in phases. Its odd what you can combine for meals atm. I must say that my food waste is almost zero right now. I bet thats not the case for your dietician!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Didn’t post yesterday as I didn’t eat anything, just water to drink as I didn’t feel well ( flare up of gut issue not CV19 symptoms)
Ok today, not quite back on the coffee yet - I always go off it if I’m not quite right. Tea with almond milk this morning.
Lunch tuna salad with h/b egg and 1/2 avocado then the remaining morsel of birthday cheesecake.
Dinner will be DD Cordon Bleu chicken casserole and spinach.
@ianpspurs I’m really impressed at your culinary efforts, how are you managing Julie’s food - are you leaving a tray outside the door?
@Brunneria I love hearing about the mutt antics, Dennis is going a bit stir crazy and has found a tasty new bit of the bannister to chew on.
@SlimLizzy well done for tackling log splitting and all that heavy work, your veg plot sounds brilliant.
Hugs still to @Annb @maglil55 and @Chook for lingering illness.( laughed at #Heather’sHadit Maglil55)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Breakfast and Dockey: Sweetened TWAM : Lunch: CWC and Chocologic Belgian choc maybe 1 row - just couldn’t be bothered; Aft: Tea and cold duck so I could dispose of the carcass*; Evening meal; 3 slices Hi Lo toast with smashed avocado and poached egg (Julie had jacket potato with cheese and salad cream and some fresh pineapple - favourites of hers and who am I to judge) Vit C powder drink. Yes,@DJC3 I leave a tray on the floor outside the door, knock then she allows time to go downstairs. There are ante bac sprays and wipes to clean before I touch the crocks. She has her own tray which is well sprayed. We discuss what she wants via google duo. Culinary skills not much as I said. The new toys almost talk me through it - in some cases even to the point of weighing the food then coming up with temp and time - to be fair I haven't used those yet as still in my comfort zone. Hug for your digestive issues and all the stresses and strains folks are under.
*yes @PenguinMum (and others) I maybe could have made stock but a) we would never have used it and b) I am far more worried about making myself or Julie ill than wasting a carcass so it went in the bin.
Edit: Culinary skills don't stretch to making pork chop edible - admit it no one can - but we have loads. I'd happily feed them to the dogs when big enough

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - when is Julie due to leave isolation? I hope she is continuing to improve and great job with the cooking. By the way, how is your DIL? @shelley262 - so sorry to hear about your Mum but great AgeUK have managed to help. There just seems to be so much stress just now. @DJC3 - glad to see your fisherman succeeded but sorry about the gut. @PenguinMum - I'm the same at the moment - zero waste. I think it's the fact we are making do with what we have plus I have more freezer space as it is actually being well used. I'm certainly learning rotational use. @Annb - sorry about the nightmares. I hope they pass over soon.
Didn't post yesterday as I'd had a funny turn again and went off on my hot shower and Vic cure.
Bed 5.6 FBG 5.8
B. TAG and a slice of skinny bread ( which I burnt) with Philadelphia. Thankfully I actually like burnt toast.
L. Another bag of "stuff" from the freezer which turned out to be another of the chicken and mushroom soup. I think I just have one bag of my LC soup left but loads of broth.
S. A DGF hazelnut and chocolate AND a DGF lemon and blueberry. I don't think they'll make the freezer.
D. Hubby wanted a butchers steak pie. This butcher I've found, steak pie is excellent, packed with meat, super gravy. Hubby had it with boiled potatoes I had celeriac mash. Green beans & peas. Unlike you @Brunneria I succumbed to a bit pastry. I did keep it at a 3" square piece but it was good! BGs went to 7.2 but I can live with that.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and birthday cake carb killa bar
Late Lunch: cheese cubes and piri piri snacks followed by Greek yoghurt, coconut chia pudding and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Dinner: beef burger topped with cheese with a side salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just came indoors after a Headspace meditation session walking in nature that I did whilst doing circuits of my smallish garden. Really helped. I’m trying to stay indoors or in our garden for a while for in case need to go to mums as really don’t want to pass anything on!
A bit of a moving forward with stuff day
managed to have long phone call with friend and adjoining neighbour who lost her husband at weekend. He wasn’t tested for cv19 but died rapidly of pneumonia after developing a high temperature so clearly I’m not keen to hug or physically mix with my neighbour at the moment! We had discussion about the fact that medical centre was very callous about the fact that he had multiple health problems so wouldn’t benefit anyone for him to be admitted to hospital - very sad for a 69 year old.
Mum isn’t any worse today still hobbling around and had a socially distanced visit from a friend bringing hot cross buns, a card and an Easter egg so she was chirpy
Going to eldest sons pharmacy first thing tomorrow yet again in the hope that his inhaler may be there! Cross fingers for me we’ve only been waiting nearly three weeks!
Breakfast scrambled eggs and toasted chaffle
Lunch lc seeded crackers, cheese and celery. Lc hm granola bar
Mid pm treat hc chocolate from Easter stash
Dinner slow cooked beef casserole with buttered cabbage pudding lc choc raspberry swirl brownie and cream
Just about to watch a dvd and have glass of red wine. Film called mr Jones about a welsh journalist uncovering a famine in Ukraine engineered by Stalin - may take my mind away from current situation!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope everyone and their loved ones are keeping (or getting) well. :)i

We found out for sure that the warning from the Police wasn't meant for us but it has really has a quite amazing effect on Mr C. He has stuck within our house and garden today and, instead of going out to buy things, he's ordering them from eBay or Amazon. I'm just thankful he can't get Eccles cakes that way!

Another weird thing - next door's insurance company said we had to claim off our insurance (for a new front door) and our insurance would get it back from next door' insurance.. So I phoned our insurance and they saud we can't claim because it was only an accident and not malicious damage. So I asked what was the point of insurance if it didn't cover accidents. No answer to that. :banghead: Our neighbour has decided its probably best (and cheaper) if she pays for the door herself.

Today's planned menu...

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup

Lunch: Actimel and two little Quorn picnic eggs

Dinner: home made minestrone soup with parmesan and pesto. In the soup is leeks, carrots, swede, celery, fennel (bulb), french beans, savoy cabbage, cavalo nero, tomatoes (tinned), wine garlic, herbs and a couple of tins of mixed beans plus (for a nod to authenticity) i will be adding some broken up Aldi black bean pasta - yes, I've been clearing out the fridge :angelic: i think/hope its about eight portions.

Chook - a few years ago now, we had an attempted break in, where the perpetrator broke the outer pane of a sealed unit. I thought it'd be a nightmare to sort out.

I can't recall how much it cost, but I was astonished how relatively "little" it was. Colin the Glass sorted it out.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 6.6 FBG 5.6. A bit up and down today. Sinuses are causing problems again. No. 1 grandson has lost another tooth and is highly delighted. I got a facetime to let me see. I was roped in later to send a message from Hubby's phone (his contact name has been changed to tooth fairy) to say that she is sorry she couldn't retrieve the tooth from under his pillow but as an essential worker she had to protect herself from Covid19! It did say his reward was coming by fairy post as a thank you for leaving it on Mum's window sill.
B. TAG
L. Nursery food again. 2 boiled eggs mashed with butter.
D. Had an aubergine to use so I made a parmigiana. Used grated mozzarella, put some spinach in I had to use and made my tomato sauce by roasting tomatoes with garlic and olive oil, whizz up with some chilli and layer with the roasted aubergine slices, mozzarella, tomato sauce, Italian herbs and spinach. Served with 2 GF sausages.
I had to try another DGF lemon and blueberry (still trying to decide on a favourite)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
07-04-2020
Woke very early. Hot ad thirsty. BG 5.6
Water to drink, but not able to sleep again. FBG taken again about 7am 5.4
Breakfast nut granola and scrambled eggs CWC
Mid morning CWC
Lunch. Ham and salad. Yoghurt and raspberries. Tea.
At some point had a square of darkmilk chocolate. And another. You know how it goes. Anyway. It's all gone now.
Dinner BBQ pork steak with red pesto. Sausage. Salad , coleslaw, and few pieces of potatoes in oil and herb dressing. Wine.
Later lemon tea. Bedtime tea.
Tackled the log splitting this afternoon. That is one ferocious machine. Makes me jump when they go. Used the chop saw to cut some old barrel staves into suitable lengths as well. Now have reasonable
Amount of firewood. We were down to about 3/4 days left, so lot happier about that now.
Plan for tomorrow. Ride my bike to the village. Am hoping to take the rubbish to the disposal site and buy some bread. Really its an experimental bike ride, but now we have to have an essential purpose am hoping that will do if I am stopped. Riding in the garden it's bumpy and I don't feel at all safe. Perhaps it will be better on tarmac. At least the roads are quiet.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 6.6 FBG 5.6. A bit up and down today. Sinuses are causing problems again. No. 1 grandson has lost another tooth and is highly delighted. I got a facetime to let me see. I was roped in later to send a message from Hubby's phone (his contact name has been changed to tooth fairy) to say that she is sorry she couldn't retrieve the tooth from under his pillow but as an essential worker she had to protect herself from Covid19! It did say his reward was coming by fairy post as a thank you for leaving it on Mum's window sill.
B. TAG
L. Nursery food again. 2 boiled eggs mashed with butter.
D. Had an aubergine to use so I made a parmigiana. Used grated mozzarella, put some spinach in I had to use and made my tomato sauce by roasting tomatoes with garlic and olive oil, whizz up with some chilli and layer with the roasted aubergine slices, mozzarella, tomato sauce, Italian herbs and spinach. Served with 2 GF sausages.
I had to try another DGF lemon and blueberry (still trying to decide on a favourite)
What a great idea to change the contact name to Tooth Fairy to leave grandson a message. I haven’t heard of any new wobbly teeth in my granddaughters realm ( and I should think I’d have heard, it being very important news and a very facetimeworthy event)
I love parmigiana, that recipe sounds fab. I like the idea of the chilli kick too.
I’m not sure if the lockdown has anything to do with it, and we are all just craving a bit of excitement, but we are having increasing amounts of chilli and hot sauce with practically everything. Mayo and mustard were once the condiments of choice, now it’s sriracha.