Anyone been shopping yet?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Has anyone been brave/foolish (delete as appropriate!) to venture out shopping yet? How was it? I didn’t go today but saw the news just now and the queues look horrendous! Happy to stick with click and collect for now!!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will go shopping if it’s for something I need that I’d be wary of buying online without trying, or for essentials but in terms of risk, I think it depends where and when you go.

I wasn’t intending to go yesterday, but happened to be passing the 02 in London around 3pm yesterday afternoon. Some of the outlet shops there had re-opened so I went in (more in hope of finding a loo than anything else). Very few people there, very easy to maintain social distance. But then in the absence of a show or some other event at the main arena, those shops are not normally busy. Suspect it’d be very different at a ‘normal’ mall.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Went out yesterday to the motorbike showroom and bought the first item they had sold since lockdown!

Glad to see no masks, no "sanitiser", friendly staff and a half price jacket..

Couple of people in the adjacent car showroom too.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Has anyone been brave/foolish (delete as appropriate!) to venture out shopping yet? How was it? I didn’t go today but saw the news just now and the queues look horrendous! Happy to stick with click and collect for now!!

Not me, but then I rarely went out shopping anyway, I always find town centres too busy normally and just don't like going out shopping at the best of times - whilst I did normally go to the supermarket every week I'm continuing doing that online for the moment (even though it is making it more expensive - I never used to spend as much as the minimum amount for a delivery/click and collect)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just popped down to B&Q to get a new gas tank for the BBQ... crazy.. arrows all over the floor which everyone was ignoring and a completely stupid queueing system with only 2 tills open about 8 staff hanging around doing nothing by the click and collect area..

Reactions: Perminder1

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Have been shopping at my local mini market all through the lockdown, cos I can't get a delivery around here, too busy on all sites. The system for those who have nobody to get their shop is much in evidence and as usual I don't qualify for it, despite the wife and FIL!
I have been going first thing in the morning, to avoid the crowds.

I did go once to the huge asda in town because they have the wife's treat and I thought it would be okay!
I walked out after five minutes because of the numbers in the shop, it was ridiculous, so many people, no staff to stop the rush, not enough staff at the tills, couldn't get to the fridges, freezers. My anxiety levels went through the roof!

I'm convinced that this is because of how the government handled lockdown and the Cummings effect!

I will not be going clothes shopping any time soon or going to any shop to be stuck queuing for ever! I do really hate shopping!

Since then I have found that I can get a delivery if necessary, but because of my circumstances, I can't! (Job!)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
In the past 2 or 3 weeks I have been to a garden centre 3 times, Boots once, supermarket twice, and Home Base once. Granted I live in a small town, but I was delighted with all the arrangements that were in place. One in one out systems, one way markers on the floors, trolleys sprayed between each customer, hand sanitisers available, masks not compulsory, shops all seemed to have more staff than shoppers. I have no inclination to go town centre shopping just because I can. Currently there is nothing I need and I never have been a window shopper/browser.

Reactions: HSSS and KK123

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the weekly supermarket shop I’ve been to 2 garden centres, aquarium shop and B&Q.

Hotpepper20000

I go twice a week to the grocery store and been to the garden Center multiple times.
We have one of the best rates of testing in the world in this province and great contact tracing.
So not too concerned. I’ve never been one to hug random strangers so that hasn’t changed and have always washed my hands when I come home.

Reactions: Perminder1

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Has anyone been brave/foolish

Or is that "brave/foolish/cautious"? I'm lucky in that the pharmacist I go to has a side window where I can queue in the open if necessary and if there is a queue 2m distance is well adhered to. The butcher will take orders and payment by phone and leave my order by his back door when I say I'm going to collect (he waits until he sees the car). The good old co-op is still putting my shopping together and volunteers are delivering although when that finishes I can go to the back of the co-op to pick my stuff up.

Max68

Mere click and collect and other online shopping for me. Got a car service due but have arranged to drop keys through letterbox and have them left on the tyre upon collection, and will rather take the 2 mile walk to and fro rather than take the option of the hire car, although I might regret that if it rains! Don't need a new dress so steering clear of Primark!! :D:D

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every week , since lockdown started! - Supermarket habits have changed slightly, trying to do everything in one, once a week instead of "popping" in to various different ones, chemist once a month, B&Q once (to keep my over 70 parents out)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been avoiding shops for years! Would much rather pay the P&P on internet shopping. But then there are other factors in play that pre-date covid by years. Small town, limited shops, bad parking, reduced mobility and annoying other people to name a few.

I've been happy to comply with Lockdown and social distancing, and have little patience for those who aren’t.

May hit a garden centre this week though, out of curiosity, since I am on annual leave this week.
Been going out dog walking regularly, just not shopping.

Am fascinated to see the news stories on crowding and out of town shopping centres heaving like ant hills. Especially when you see what people are buying as their first priority purchases.
No thank you.

lindisfel

Expert
Looks like the guy who brings our shopping each week has someone he helps now going to supermarket again!
I think he expects we should do all our shopping now.
At over 80 with multiple health issues, I am not too happy with me going to supermarket here with an R rate about 1.

I will have to take better half and stay outside, but do all the heavy lifting, which is ok.
regards
D.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I have been to a couple of shops and a couple of garden centres - each time wearing a mask, hand sanitizer ready in pocket and trolleys sanitized by the staff on entering. Most shops have hand sanitizer stations but in M&S a member of staff in full face visor, mask, overall and gloves was dispensing the sanitizer while standing next to her was a supervisor with no protective equipment at all. :meh:

In this area all shops seem to have a one out / one in policy which is strictly enforced and directional arrows on the floor which took s bit of getting used to (especially in the garden centres). Not too many people apart from us were wearing masks locally but this definitely changes from town to town.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm waiting for the vaccine.