What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Had to take several doses of co-codamol today and have just woken up in the middle of a lovely dream about a mixed meat dish of steak and chicken, mushrooms, onions, fantastic gravy. The chicken legs were unbelievably big and juicy! I think my body must be telling me that it wants feeding.

Whatever my sleeping self thinks, my waking self says "no way". 2 doses of the new Loperamide finally worked but I'm very wary and not very hungry, so I think it's going to be a zero meals day. Took some things out of the freezer - a chocolate and orange trifle (without cream) that I put in there months ago and which No 2 son was supposed to take for his family. Guess he forgot. And some meatballs. I'll do something with the meatballs tomorrow, when they are defrosted. Not sure what to do with the trifle. See if I can persuade him to take it when he comes with the post. So now I have some space to put some things away in the freezer - not much, but it will do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: Bovril and collagen powder
L: a chunk of vintage cheddar and a smear of mango chutney. Ambrosia of the gods.
S: Lindt 70%, then a coffee substitute and cream with a DGF millionaire shortbread.
D: small sirloin. I overcooked it. :( because I was phaffing in the garden. :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@PenguinMum So sorry to read about the death of your friends husband. Ofc you are now even more worried. 22.06.2020
Breakfast BG high again. And not hungry so lemon tea only. Two cups.
Late morning had coffee with cream
Lunch: egg mayonnaise salad. Coleslaw Tea. Water.
Dinner. Exhausted and frustrated, after cutting grass with tractor. Three hours to do a one hour job only half as well. AND then blasted thing broke down literally as the engine was switched off. Water pouring out from underneath. I could scream. Expect MrSlim feels the same. Have had enough now. How do single wonen manage? Grass will be waist high in six weeks time. Its getting a bit too much to cope with. Didnt feel like cooking, so defrosted and then warmed a couple of LC bread rolls and two salmon and courgette fritters. Topped them off with tartare sauce. Bowl of runner beans already sliced in fridge so had those as well. Then yoghurt and raspberries. Glass of wine while food was defrosting /warming.
Later had coffee. Real coffee.with cream, tried out making it mocha by whisking in square of 99% chocolate. Drink was ok, but mug got badly marked by the whisk.
Later indigestion. My my own fault. Should have remembered that for me real coffee and stress are a disastrous combination.
8Route

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all

@SlimLizzy Hugs for the tractor and the grass. Its a horrible situation to be in. Before Mr C arrived in my life I was a divorced single Mum for 17 years - luckily I had a well paid job because household repairs and on-going maintenance tasks often didn't get done unless I paid someone to do it (or fix it).

Today's menu

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: houmous little gem wraps with extra chickpeas and a greek salad (tomato, feta, olives)

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy sending hugs for the grass cutting fiasco. Lawnmowers are always problematic in our experience but so hard for you dealing with all these things going wrong while on your own. I think I would have had a stiff drink instead of the coffee! Hope today is a better day.
@Annb and @maglil55 hope you feel better soon.

breakfast: usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea x2.
Lunch: slice ham, vintage cheddar chunk and mixed salad with mayo.
Supper will be high meat sausages and celeriac mash.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
brunch - greek yoghurt with strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and double cream. Mug of earl grey and double cream.

Dinner will be 2 hamburgers with onions and salad with dollop of coleslow and hopefully nothing else!

Maglil55 and Annb - I hope yous both feel better soon. Take care.

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@SlimLizzy feel for you - sounds tough.
@Mrs T 123 you’re doing great and good to see you recording here. I’ve never been able to add cream (or milk!) to tea but love double cream in coffee and keeps me going on days like today when just eating one meal.
@Brunneria mmm mango chutney on cheese definitely tempting to me love contrasts of flavours
@Annb take care your health has been very up and down
@maglil55 hope you get your replacement car soon and that it behaves as it should!
Third day of OMAD as out for much of day to nearby market town of Bridgnorth - lovely day. Decided to test my ketones today - I do it rarely these days just about once a month to check still in ketosis and have been in ketosis for heading on for three years but often around 1.0 so can see impact of OMAD with a rise in level to 3.9.
Coffee with cream during day - two flasks taken on outing!
Omad - cajun chicken and salads with glass of dry white wine followed by DGF choc orange brownie with one strawberry from my garden and spoon of double cream.
May try for one or two more OMADs - will see how feel tomorrow I’m working so boredom may put temptation in my path!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Mississippi mudder phd bar.
Late Lunch: Left over Mediterranean veg and melted cheese followed by Greek yoghurt, orange chia pudding and vanilla and raspberry LC granola.
Dinner cooked by my daughter for a treat before returning to Mum’s tomorrow for another week: chicken stuffed with goat’s cheese wrapped in bacon and oven cooked on a bed of cherry tomatoes and courgette followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

E76EF6E2-9927-4B08-81D6-CF6E51A76A2F.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Nothing
L 2 hard boiled eggs with mayo. 1 Cheese and ham roll up as yesterday. Cucumber and 2 cherry Tom's
Then off to the dentist. The bill hurts!!!
D. Sea bass baked with chilli and ginger - too much of each, cabbage and green beans. 50g of caramel protein icecream from Lidl. 8g per 100 so could afford 4.

Been struggling to get a reading all day, blood seems very thin and watery. Wasted 7 strips

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Almost a normal evening out.

Long post work de-stressing walk (just shy of 11 miles) with pit stops at Five Guys, Canary Wharf and St Katharine’s Dock. Thames Clipper boat home. And a naughty little visit to Hotel Chocolat.

Lunch was 3 air fried chicken wings - just salted and rubbed with chilli oil. Delicious. Followed up with extra thick double cream and almond butter.

Dinner - bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and mayonnaise at Five Guys. There may also have been a chocolate ice cream - dark chocolate dipped in 70% chocolate from Hotel Chocolat. Not a bad carb count - bit less than Lindt 85% at 17.7g/100g. One ice cream is 90g. BG rose by a maximum of less than 2 mmols, so a result.

DFC94644-8679-42F0-ACE2-F43A2647E9DC.jpeg
F5D99F27-ACF9-459D-A609-06572EC916BD.jpeg
1BFAB85E-D7D0-422F-BBD9-CC95D5D12C99.jpeg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Nothing
L 2 hard boiled eggs with mayo. 1 Cheese and ham roll up as yesterday. Cucumber and 2 cherry Tom's
Then off to the dentist. The bill hurts!!!
D. Sea bass baked with chilli and ginger - too much of each, cabbage and green beans. 50g of caramel protein icecream from Lidl. 8g per 100 so could afford 4.

Been struggling to get a reading all day, blood seems very thin and watery. Wasted 7 strips
Hug for dental bill

Reactions: maglil55 and MrsA2

KateA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Meat and now sugar and carbs!!!
I rarely do breakfast. Nothing today until lunch, had an egg salad. The lettuce and peppers were home grown, home made mayo on the coleslaw and salad.
Dinner was deep fried cauliflower in an almond/parmesan crust, a huge lump of feta and more salad with a drizzle (maybe a bit heavier than a drizzle) of olive oil.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Black coffee all morning
Lunch was air fried chicken wings, marinaded in oo, garlic and a sprinkle of Nando’s peri peri salt. @Goonergal I had 6 I hope your chickens were bigger or I feel a bit of a pig! Extra thick cream with DGF salted caramel brownie afterwards.
Dinner: Rumo steak with lettuce. Made a blue cheese Saúde by melting some very old and grotty looking blue cheese in a small pan, then stirring in double cream. It was really good and went well with both the steak and lettuce.
@MrsA2 I hope the dentist’ bill was worth it and they fixed your problem.
@shelley262 Omad isn’t like you normally, is it deliberate or just the way your days have panned out? I know you managed It for quite a while when you were first diagnosed and had weight to lose, but I thought you were happy with 3 small meals a day now?
@SlimLizzy I do hope today has been better.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all

@SlimLizzy Hugs for the tractor and the grass. Its a horrible situation to be in. Before Mr C arrived in my life I was a divorced single Mum for 17 years - luckily I had a well paid job because household repairs and on-going maintenance tasks often didn't get done unless I paid someone to do it (or fix it).

Today's menu

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: houmous little gem wraps with extra chickpeas and a greek salad (tomato, feta, olives)

Where do you get your kimchi? Or do you make it? I found a lovely local shop that sells it, but it hasn’t opened after lockdown yet. I really liked it with scrambled eggs too.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast lemon tea.
Lunch smoked mackerel and salad. Tea.
Dinner, spicy mince from the freezerwith courgette, carrots and home grown beans. Cooked enough for two days, but after eating found a fly crawling on tomorrow's portion, left in the pan to cool, binned that.
Glass and a half of white wine. Bought today. Very reasonable price and a nice drop of plonk it is too. As usual wine and late night starts the nibble need but managed to stop at one piece of cheese and half a square of chocolate. Lemon tea at bedtime.
Tomorrow will tackle rehabilitating a mini tractor. Gaining new skills.

@PenguinMum thank you for the empathy.
@shelley262 it has been a tough week, with the 45km cauliflower shopping saga, and multiple breakdowns. Still MrSlim has told me how to fix the tractor. It is a tractor, but not a lot larger than some rideon mowers. So will be pressing on tomorrow. Thank you for commenting. Recognition helps.
@Chook similar situation here. After decade on my own started looking for a new partner. One if my essential requirements was that he be "handy."
@maglil55 And @Annb wishing you both well, and soon. You have had a very rough time with this virus.

Edited for typo

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Evening all. Almost a normal evening out.

Long post work de-stressing walk (just shy of 11 miles) with pit stops at Five Guys, Canary Wharf and St Katharine’s Dock. Thames Clipper boat home. And a naughty little visit to Hotel Chocolat.

Lunch was 3 air fried chicken wings - just salted and rubbed with chilli oil. Delicious. Followed up with extra thick double cream and almond butter.

Dinner - bunless bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and mayonnaise at Five Guys. There may also have been a chocolate ice cream - dark chocolate dipped in 70% chocolate from Hotel Chocolat. Not a bad carb count - bit less than Lindt 85% at 17.7g/100g. One ice cream is 90g. BG rose by a maximum of less than 2 mmols, so a result.

View attachment 42285 View attachment 42286 View attachment 42287

Lovely pictures. I always enjoy your pictures.

Okay.... weird thing.... I'm veggie but your food pix ALWAYS make me feel jealous!!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Where do you get your kimchi? Or do you make it? I found a lovely local shop that sells it, but it hasn’t opened after lockdown yet. I really liked it with scrambled eggs too.

I get it from here https://www.tradewindsorientalshop.co.uk

Except I go to the actual shop - its about 25 mins by car in Scunthorpe and fits in well with visits to other places we regularly go. Its a gorgeous little shop crammed full of wonderful things that (mostly) I've never heard of before.

Reactions: DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lovely sunny day - warm enough for breakfast outside with a bit of gentle pre-breakfast garden tidying and dead-heading.

I don't know if it's the warmer weather but my 11 y/o Labrador girl Millie is completely off her food - very worrying - she really enjoys her food so its definitely not like her.

Breakfast: Omelette with carb free syrup (cherry flavour)
Lunch: Actimel drink - cutting back on the lunchtime cheese when I'm having cheese for dinner
Dinner: grilled halloumi chips, fried eggs, grilled tomatoes, veggie sausages

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
My FBG is finally coming down, fingers crossed.
When I started testing up to 8 times a day for a few days I could see it wasnt food, there were mo peaks just constantly high so down to stress
Todays food
Breakfast usual slice HiLo toast, butter, tea.
Lunch was egg mayo salad.
Supper will be chicken, red pepper and chorizo with tinned toms and cauli rice
@shelley262 I remember you talking about. Celeriac chips have cut some up and frozen individually on a tray in the freezer ready to bag in portions. Can you remind me whether to add oil or seasoning and cook them from frozen. TIA.
Looking forward to two fried eggs running down a pile of chips!

Reactions: maglil55

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@PenguinMum .

I used to get horrendous high BG when I was putting my body under stress by working nights as a lone worker in a house full of five autistic men. No one thought my high BGs might be caused by stress and I was put on insulin but, even so, fought high BGs until four years later I was signed off as medically unfit with anxiety and depression. While off sick my BGs went down and I STILL didn't put 2 + 2 together. Stress can do some really horrible things to your body in ways you don't expect.