What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - greek yoghurt with all the berries topped with double cream (yum) washed down with mug of earl grey tea with double cream.

Dinner - steak with mushrooms and onions with broccoli and cauliflower cheese.

With not working at the moment, I am managing on 2 meals a day, longer walks, have lost some weight that I have tried to lose for months and blood sugars down also. Win win! It is always good to find a positive from a negative. Happy days! ;)

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even that doesn’t always work. They defrost pretty quickly in the microwave :D
My problem would be they would call out to me, all day every day until they were gone. I'm trying to resist any temptation until I'm in remission...maybe one then

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My problem would be they would call out to me, all day every day until they were gone. I'm trying to resist any temptation until I'm in remission...maybe one then

To be honest I rue the day that I started low carb baking (I didn’t even bake before diagnosis) / sampling high percentage cocoa chocolate. If you have any type of craving/addiction issue (I definitely do) trying to crack that by abstaining is a great strategy.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been trying TMAD (an18/6 fast) for a while now and it has been ok. Yesterday dinner was gammon as posted then but at midnight suddenly got all the aura signs of a major migraine so went to bed and slept 12 hours!! Have had headache all day but felt hungry so had
B. One chicken thigh, some gammon and cucumber.
3 hours later still hungry so yogurt with seeds and raspberries.
D. Gammon, 2 fried eggs and celeriac chips.
Headache finally lifting. No idea if was food related

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream and LC vanilla and raspberry granola washed down with a black coffee.
Elevensies: black coffee and Birthday cake phd bar.
Lunch: Babybels and a small packet of Cheesies followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Cheese and mushroom omelette with two cherry tomatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and strawberries.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Have been a bit absent so just catching up.

Spent the weekend being almost normal - BBQ at a colleague’s house (just 5 of us) and then a mega-walk on Sunday - walked to Kew Gardens which turned out considerably further than the google maps estimate as I tried to go off piste en route and despite a combination of short train journey and long boat journey home, walked over 23 miles in the day. Slept well :hilarious:

@maglil55 hugs for the dental issues; always unwelcome and happy belated anniversary.
@Chook very windy here too - at the weekend BBQ the large (supposedly weighted) table umbrellas almost ended up in the next garden after a large gust of wind caught them. Laughing at your sideways showers and @DCUKMod ’s flying jeans
@DJC3 that pork belly/crackling sounds divine
@shelley262 know what you mean about finding new places close to home. Have discovered so many during lockdown walks.

So, onto food. Don’t remember it all, but past few days have involved vast quantities of meat - especially at the BBQ where pork chops and chicken wings had been bought especially for me, along with some smoked salmon and cream cheese appetisers; chocolate - Hotel Chocolat opening is NOT good for my self control - and Serious Pig snacking cheese.

Today I had a Tesco egg protein pot for breakfast - they’ve ditched the spinach so just 2 boiled eggs. Perfect for me.
Lunch was 10 plain wings from Nando’s - couldn’t eat them all - and a whole bar of Hotel Chocolat 70% hazelnut. Amazingly a maximum, short lived rise of only 1.5 mmols.
Dinner was the leftover wings.
23 miles! That's very nearly a marathon!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

Spent the weekend being almost normal - BBQ at a colleague’s house (just 5 of us) and then a mega-walk on Sunday - walked to Kew Gardens which turned out considerably further than the google maps estimate as I tried to go off piste en route and despite a combination of short train journey and long boat journey home, walked over 23 miles in the day. Slept well :hilarious:

@maglil55 hugs for the dental issues; always unwelcome and happy belated anniversary.
@Chook very windy here too - at the weekend BBQ the large (supposedly weighted) table umbrellas almost ended up in the next garden after a large gust of wind caught them. Laughing at your sideways showers and @DCUKMod ’s flying jeans
@shelley262 know what you mean about finding new places close to home. Have discovered so many during lockdown walks.

So, onto food. Don’t remember it all, but past few days have involved vast quantities of meat - especially at the BBQ where pork chops and chicken wings had been bought especially for me, along with some smoked salmon and cream cheese appetisers; chocolate - Hotel Chocolat opening is NOT good for my self control - and Serious Pig snacking cheese.

Today I had a Tesco egg protein pot for breakfast - they’ve ditched the spinach so just 2 boiled eggs. Perfect for me.
Lunch was 10 plain wings from Nando’s - couldn’t eat them all - and a whole bar of Hotel Chocolat 70% hazelnut. Amazingly a maximum, short lived rise of only 1.5 mmols.

23 miles!! OMG - I'd have been surprised if you hadn't slept well!! Well done.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't mean the cover for the whole machine, but the one covering the lower loopers thread path. The image below is dire, but the little arrows suggest where I would look for a little contact pin, or button operating the cut out.

View attachment 42422

Finally, I have had some really weird stuff happen if I have threaded the 4 needles in the wrong order. Sometimes it won't stitch, sometimes it stitches but very poorly and sometimes not a lot happens.

If DiL rethreaded recently, I'd also revisit that - via the manual or YouTube, to ensure it's correct.

Overlocking machines are wonderful,but they are as fickle as can be. Just one of the reasons I use very large bobbins of thread on mine is to minimise the number of times I have to re-thread the beast.

Fingers crossed for it. It sounds to be like it's something like a safety trip switch that's not closing properly, thus disabling the mechanism.

I passed that information to my DIL and she is intending to check it out. Unfortunately, she felt she couldn't wait and ordered a new over-locker before I spoke to her. She reckons the original one, a Brother, isn't as good as she had expected anyway, so is going for something better this time. Never a bad thing to have a back-up. Thanks for your advice. At least if she can get some sewing jobs, it will help pay the bills while the laundry can't be opened up.

Reactions: Chook and Antje77

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had planned two meals as previous day but got busy and suddenly was teatime so OMAD happened
Meal Pesto chicken, salads and celeriac chips with dash of wine with soda water followed by DGF caramel brownie warmed with cream and just had some 100% montezumas with a decaff coffee and cream.
My new phone actually scans my libre sensor - previous phone didn’t - and I’m enjoying my new toy! I have a go with a sensor about every 4-6 weeks to keep an eye on things.
Well done you on the OMAD!:) I have thought about it but that is as much as I have done about it .......:hungry:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hey, 23 miles - Go you - Well done!:happy:

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7.1 FBG 7.9 - woke up at 4.30am and took 1.5 hrs to get back to sleep with the wind and rain. @Goonergal that's some walking. Well done you. London marathon 2021? @shelley262 - what mobile did you get? I kept the older Samsung S7 which worked with the Libre. S9 + is hopeless with it.
I finally got my car today. It's very big. It was lovely to come back on the bypass without fear of it breaking down. I'll need some time tomorrow to set the tech up but I knew enough to get the mobile connected. Felt as if a weight had been lifted coming back.
B. TAG and 2 GF crackers and Dairylea.
L. 1 tomato sausage and a fried egg.
D. Chilli beef stir fry and cauliflower rice. 2 squares of Lidl 85% and a DGF bakewell.

I'll go to bed happy tonight. Tomorrow I'll be checking where everything is.

Reactions: annabell1

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bed 7.1 FBG 7.9 - woke up at 4.30am and took 1.5 hrs to get back to sleep with the wind and rain. @Goonergal that's some walking. Well done you. London marathon 2021? @shelley262 - what mobile did you get? I kept the older Samsung S7 which worked with the Libre. S9 + is hopeless with it.
I finally got my car today. It's very big. It was lovely to come back on the bypass without fear of it breaking down. I'll need some time tomorrow to set the tech up but I knew enough to get the mobile connected. Felt as if a weight had been lifted coming back.
B. TAG and 2 GF crackers and Dairylea.
L. 1 tomato sausage and a fried egg.
D. Chilli beef stir fry and cauliflower rice. 2 squares of Lidl 85% and a DGF bakewell.

I'll go to bed happy tonight. Tomorrow I'll be checking where everything is.
Congratulations on getting the car - have fun driving it and using your new toy. Re my phone, my own new toy - My old phone was a basic Motorola and didn’t talk To my libre (NFL?) don’t know why Some Motorola’s don’t - also camera not good. I wanted an excellent camera and storage but couldn’t afford lots of cash so went for Huawei 30 in end based on camera reviews as you get a lot of tech for the cost - model a year old (but new phone) so had google etc on - think this is issue with P40s and didn’t want to replace one compatibility issue with another!! Same spec on Samsung would have cost me three times as much. Happy so far but early days! Dental treatment looming on bank account!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you on the OMAD!:) I have thought about it but that is as much as I have done about it .......:hungry:
Hi well done on your two meals. My OMAD was accidental yesterday and two or three small meals is what I usually do to maintain weight and low bgs - although even when I eat three small meals I always stick to fasting for a set period. Most days I never eat after 6pm just drink weak black tea and then don’t eat first meal before 10am. If for social reasons I eat later I’d tend to skip breakfast. I find too if have to leave home early a breakfast skip is what happens. Skipping breakfast though sometimes means higher bgs for me during morning whereas skipping lunch dosent impact my bgs!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@maglil55 Congratulations on the new car. It must be such a relief that you can take a trip up that bypass without the worry of your car conking out and having to spend hours by the side of the road.

@shelley262 Congratulations on your new phone. Excellent choice not to go for the new Huawei - my BIL got it and doesn't like it. A professional photographer friend chose your model because of the excellence of the camera.

Breakfast: scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: Actimel drink and a crisp bread with a Laughing Cow blue cheese triangle
Dinner: don't know what time this will be as my front door is FINALLY getting fixed after my neighbour accidentally broke it during the first week of lockdown - so I'm having to be flexible with time. I think I'll prepare a salad which can stay covered in the fridge - probably houmous, beefsteak tomato, feta and olives plus garden salad veggies

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi well done on your two meals. My OMAD was accidental yesterday and two or three small meals is what I usually do to maintain weight and low bgs - although even when I eat three small meals I always stick to fasting for a set period. Most days I never eat after 6pm just drink weak black tea and then don’t eat first meal before 10am. If for social reasons I eat later I’d tend to skip breakfast. I find too if have to leave home early a breakfast skip is what happens. Skipping breakfast though sometimes means higher bgs for me during morning whereas skipping lunch dosent impact my bgs!

I've just got to get the size of my meals under control. I can't skip breakfast (BGs just go up and up) but maybe I can experiment with reducing it. I MUST however do something about the evening meal. I still eat for the active me that I was before the arthritis kicked in.

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Good luck with the new car @maglil55 enjoy!
@shelley262 belated anniversary good wishes.
Two days behind again.
Yesterday after high FBG almost certainly due to overeating bbq meat I had my usual slice of Hilo toast and tea. Otherwise my BG continues to rise so why go without. Two hours later my BG had dropped by 0.3.
Lunch was mug of h/m broccoli & leek soup and large chunk of cheddar.
Supper was spinach omelette.
Today same breakdast.
Lunch will also be the same.
Supper will be roast chicken breast with roasted med veg.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just got to get the size of my meals under control. I can't skip breakfast (BGs just go up and up) but maybe I can experiment with reducing it. I MUST however do something about the evening meal. I still eat for the active me that I was before the arthritis kicked in.

I keep wondering if I am eating too much, as well. I'm still putting on weight, have high BG AND taking more insulin these days. DIL is the same - can't be weather related, can it? DIL is on the point of giving up the fight - her diabetes is not the same as mine - she runs a BG of around 20 much of the time, but then it plummets to the 2s during the night. She starts to feel the beginnings of a hypo around 5, if it happens during the evening. So she's in a worse case than I am.

My BG is around the 10 - 15 quite a lot of the time and I think I'm doing reasonably well if I get it down to 8 (and then it surprises me and drops to 4 or less if I do without food for any length of time).

I'm currently sticking to brunch of a couple of eggs sort of size and an evening meal, around 8 or 9 pm. Often few veg and some meat - maybe that's the too much element. In terms of calories, it can't be more than 12 - 1500 and, although I don't measure it precisely, the carb content is very low. However, I am not very active, due to the arthritis although I do hobble around the house quite a lot of the day and (believe me) it uses energy enough to make me puff and pant.

Anyway today - brunch was 2 RyVita (OK a bit carb high) with chicken liver pate.
Dinner will be some of the lamb shank that is left (mostly veg now) - a cereal bowl half full. Is that too large a portion?

Edited to fix typos.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Watched this podcast on YouTube from diet doctor it’s got some very interesting bits in about addictions I’d recommend a listen. One of my fave occupations is listening to low carb lectures and this is one of better ones I thought. Interesting stuff too about relationship of stress to eating and hence impact of increase of general stress from covid anxiety and impact on his low carb patients weight.
@Goonergal and @DJC3 im sure you would also especially enjoy this one too.

Last edited:
Reactions: annabell1 and DJC3