What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Will post a picture of my true surprise meal when it's time for dinner :)
Not disappointed! :hungry:
109155401_10221317369718087_3395898468362946888_o.jpg

Reactions: Annb and maglil55

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: strawberries, cream with LC vanilla and raspberry granola washed down with a black coffee.
(No elevensies today as stuck in fracture clinic with mum for 3 hours wearing masks :eek:)
Late Lunch: followed by Greek yoghurt, peach chia pudding and LC granola chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chicken in creamy mushroom sauce with mixed veg followed by SF orange jelly with chocolate Oppo ice-cream, a nod to my missing Jaffa cakes still on Sundays!

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.

I inserted some garlic slivers in to the cross on top of the cheese and some crushed garlic in to the olive oil to roast the veg in and it was lovely but VERY garlicy. I used to have this regularly about six months ago and somehow forgot how nice it is.

I won't be having visits from vampires tonight!! ;)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 - grandson loved the photos of the capybara although he was rather concerned it was too close to the croc! Also loved your name for gram flour. Bed 7.3 FBG 6.1.
B. TAG and LC toast with ham and coleslaw.
L. Went with son to Tesco to get veggies for soup that grandsons want. My legs also forced me to walk to the chocolate aisle. Once there I felt it would be wrong not to get 2 bars of Godiva. Nothing until I got back. TAG and 2 Lotus biscuits.
D. Rotisserie chicken and lettuce, tomato, avocado and I made vegetable salad. Oops - 4 squares of Godiva.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast 2x CWC, nut granola.
More CWC
Lunch lettuce, radish( some very pretty one from the melange row) cucumber, avocado,mozzarella and tomato salad. Tomatoes were 4 small cherry toms. Really are cherry sized. Coffee or tea, can't remember.
Dinner, looked more like lunch. LC roll split and toasted with pâté, lettuce, celeriac and carrot coleslaw, black olives.
Glass of water, later had wine
Bedtime lemon and ginger tea. Few olives, just because they were there.

Edited for typo

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I inserted some garlic slivers in to the cross on top of the cheese and some crushed garlic in to the olive oil to roast the veg in and it was lovely but VERY garlicy. I used to have this regularly about six months ago and somehow forgot how nice it is.

I won't be having visits from vampires tonight!! ;)

I’ve often done the same - somehow forget about a meal I used to enjoy on a regular basis. It’s nice when it comes to mind again though. I’ll be buying a Camembert on my next foray to the shops.
Glad the vampires kept away!

Reactions: maglil55

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
7.00am FBG 5.3 :)
Not sure if I am doing more because I feel a bit better. Or the other way round.
To Do list is still MIA
Am sticking to basics at the moment.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had an early breakfast of streaky bacon, done in the oven and 2 fried eggs. FBG was 10.8 and I was very hungry. It's going to be another one of "those" days. Still hungry and don't expect not to be for the rest of the day.

I'll take some more of the steak and kidney mix from the freezer and put some cheesey veg mash with it for later. Last time, I didn't use celeriac after all, I roasted a small butternut squash and used that instead. Today, I will have to choose again between the squash and the celeriac. Squash usually wins hands down but I must use the celeriac sometime soon.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
The run of high BG continues despite sticking to around 15g carbs for the last two days. Unlike @shelley262 my surgery are chasing me for my 6 month A1c etc which was due in June and which I ignored. Now I wish I hadnt as since then my BG has been consistently high! Typical!
Yesterday had my usual slice HiLo toast, butter and tea (if I dont my BG is like a runaway train). Lunch was mixed salad and two think slices ham. Supper was a tomato & fresh basil omelette. Stayed above 6 all day when I should be low 5s before supper.
Today had the same brekkie.
Lunch will be egg mayo and lettuce and radishes.
Supper will be roasted chicken breast and either broccoli or celeriac chips.

@shelley262 thanks so much for the info re preping celeriac chips which really hit the spot. Even after 3 years I am finding little gems. The last time I had them with two runny fried eggs running through them which was real comfort food that I never imagined having. For such an ugly and precarious to approach veg it makes the best mash and chips!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Good morning all!!

@Annb - I was at 10.2 this morning but I did have a very wakeful night so I'm blaming that.

@DJC3 - husband keeps on at me to make a master list of the meals that fit in with low carb and veggie because I can end up eating the same stuff each week and then moan because I'm getting bored with my food - when I get round to it baked camembert will be at the top if the list (bit worried.... autocorrect keeps changing 'list' to 'lust' :meh: )

Breakfast: usual omelette with carb free syrup
Lunch: bit of cheese - probably brie
Dinner: houmous and spicy cannellini beans with salad from the garden. I've got tomato envy over @SlimLizzy 's tomatoes - I'm still eating shop bought.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had an early breakfast of streaky bacon, done in the oven and 2 fried eggs. FBG was 10.8 and I was very hungry. It's going to be another one of "those" days. Still hungry and don't expect not to be for the rest of the day.

I'll take some more of the steak and kidney mix from the freezer and put some cheesey veg mash with it for later. Last time, I didn't use celeriac after all, I roasted a small butternut squash and used that instead. Today, I will have to choose again between the squash and the celeriac. Squash usually wins hands down but I must use the celeriac sometime soon.

Slight change of plan - I'll stuff half a small squash with some of the meat - probably only have half of that and leave some for tomorrow. I've decided to try very hard to reduce calories - never been very good at working out calories in home made food. Bacon and Eggs came to 1 carb and 260 calories. Not sure what the steak and kidney and squash will amount to.

I had a wakeful night as well @Chook - bed at 12.30, up at 4 am but took some painkillers and dozed in the kitchen chair for the next 2 hours. FBG at 4 am was 10.5.

Edited to add last paragraph.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snack: 4 sour worm sweets :grumpy:

My plan worked out perfectly. Except for the cat. He chose the exact moment my bg started dropping quick to come in after a fight with our neighbour's T-Rex with a hurt eye.
So instead of savouring a rare treat of fresh bread I got to eat sour worms on my way to the vet.

I'll have to tell the neighouring cat to save the fights for weekdays, out of hours vet bills hurt even more than regular vet bills.
My cat hasn't even finished his course of eardrops yet, so now I'll have to do the ear drops twice a day and the eye drops 4 times a day.
Maartje doesn't like either...
You have my sympathy, and so does your cat, ear drops and eye drops four times a day. That's difficult for both of you.

After hearing a horror story about another stray cat in the area and her terrible ears, I bought ear drops for "my" stray. Have been administering them every two days. Your post got me out of bed to check on Google, that i didnt get it wrong and it should have been twice daily.
Google translates for me "Every two days for minimum of three weeks" Thats good.
Cat obviously hates the drops, but apart from flattening her ears, has made no real, serious resistance, for which I am very grateful.
Best of luck with your cat and his drops. I do hope the more frequent application means it will be a shorter course of treatment.

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Share what you've eaten today with the rest of the DCUK community and maybe steal a few ideas for yourself!

Please remember that this is the 'Low Carb Diet Forum' and that this thread isn't for low carb debates :)
Breakfast poached egg on toast..then a sneecky little bit of my new vegan ice cream...to see if i like it...I have just made some broccoli and cauliflower mash sprinkled with dried mint...add a splash of butter...lovely...tonight i will have vegan fish fingers, mash and peas...and more ice cream...low carb...swiss glade...x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You have my sympathy, and so does your cat, ear drops and eye drops four times a day. That's difficult for both of you.
Turned out it's simply impossible. After 2 days of eye drops the cat has now decided I'm not to be trusted and vanishes as soon as he sees me.
I've decided to go for finger crossing and a lucky cat, hoping the antibiotics injection he received does the trick and he will heal up further by himself.
When he shows himself again I'll try to build his trust again so I can at least keep an eye on him, so no more eye drops.

All the best for the ears of your stray!

Rubyjewelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Illness
Hi all, For breakfast this morning I had blue and raspberries with cream sprinkled with chia seeds and for lunch I had 3 rashers of bacon with a diddy bit of ketchup. Trying to give ketchup up....honest.
Go for Heinz 50/50%...it's fab...lol...x

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Thanks annabell, that's really helpful and it looks easy enough. Will make sure I have enough butter in this week to do it.
Most welcome Let me know how you go with making it.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wedding anniversary so:
Breakfast was streaky bacon and scrambled egg topped with shavings of fresh truffles.

Dinner bilinis with cream cheese, smoked salmon and beluga caviar.

Jamaican blue mountain coffee.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I've decided to go for finger crossing and a lucky cat, hoping the antibiotics injection he received does the trick and he will heal up further by himself.

That's probably the only sensible course of action. Am slightly surprised that a vet thought the cat would co operate with such an intrusive regime. Hope he comes back soon.

All the best for the ears of your stray!
This cat has multiple health issues. I can deal with the ears but think a vet visit is needed for the rest. No way I can get a cat to the vet on a bicycle though. And it would need to be an English speaking vet so I can explain her problems clearly. Meanwhile. She is better fed and her ears are improving.