What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mrs T 123 - mine will also be going into the small zip locks, particularly when my visit to the butcher's on Thursday led to quite a refill. There's enough to feed us for at least a month in there. 1 loaf is going to son & DIL though. @Goonergal, glad you are feeling better. That lamb would have made most people feel better. @ianpspurs - I see you still have your love of tea and you beat me to it with the yeast. I must say I could visualise @DJC3'S face that day when I enquired about the yeast. Sorry @DJC3. @zauberflote, Hell's Kitchen was too brutal even for me! I like to learn & adapt from these programs.
Saturday
Bed 6.2 FBG 6
B. TAG and a Dailylea triangle while I debated where I was going to shop.
L. On return from Tesco for fuel, Morrison's & Lidl another TAG and the remains of M&S Honduran prawns, mozzarella & pesto and 2 lamb koftas. 2 GF crackers. DGF lemon & blueberry.
D. That thin beef wrapped around sliced peppers and red onion. Added a little more chilli to the tomato type sauce so gave it some heat. Veggie chips.
Another DGF lemon & blueberry.

@DJC3 - the Showstopper was quite a laugh. Poor David Bowie. There was one I thought looked like ET. I think it was the poor girl who was eliminated. The eyes were just too far apart on her 3D effort.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed a OMAD today - late brunch/early dinner out of steak diane with large salad and cups of earl grey in between and 2 squares of lindtt 90% dark chocolate when back home.

Also, managed 2 separate walks of just under an hour each - nice relaxing Sunday - weather behaved itself - nice fresh autumn day - one of our walks was to the loch which was busier than usual with people out and about making the most of the dry sunny weather - there was swimmers in the loch - IMO far too chilly for that today! It was nice in the sunshine but a bit of a chill in the air oh well it is nearly October I suppose.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch of 2 scrambled eggs followed by hour and half walk
Lunch (unintended!) 1 chilli flavoured sausage (boys had bought them from local farmer and i had to try one, very spicy hot!)
Dinner, roast chicken, green beans, courgettes, carrot and gravy. Half a mug cake made with coconut flour, ground almonds, fresh raspberries and 8g stevia. 1 glass wine. 3 squares 85%

Last night I did test for one of the Aldi nut bars which tastes sweet and have honey listed and surprisingly took me up just less than the allowed 2. Didn't eat anything else. Am wishing I hadn't tried as they are hard and sticky and my dentist is probably rubbing his hands....
I must NOT buy them again

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs, quite a few of us have been having BG issues. Mine at least I could put down to being ill from beginning of March for many, many weeks. Doc was pretty certain I was a covid long haul. @ziggy_w DGF is very tasty. I'm trying to resist the walnut & coffee as I've just bought 4 boxes but I fear I'm doomed to failure. @Brunneria - I'd stored the cheesy, eggy corned beef thingy at the back of my mind. I do have everything apart from corned beef but I do still have Spam from that competition runners up prize. @SlimLizzy - I kind of got a bit of my cooking mojo back but nothing too complicated.
Bed 6 FBG was also 6.

B. TAG and a couple of GF crackers with remains of the prawn cocktail.
L. Before heading off with the boys to their swimming lessons (much better now they know the procedures) TAG and a DGF lemon & blueberry.
D. Took Turbot fillets and sealed them in a foil parcel with drizzle of olive oil top & bottom, few little bits of butter, thinly sliced garlic, zest of a lemon, ground salt and pepper and poured some sauvion blanc around it before sealing the parcel. Gave it about 20 mins @180 fan then opened and added wild red shrimp (big beasts) and fresh mussels. Resealed and popped it back in the oven for 10 mins. Served with wilted spinach and the smallest of Hubby's little boiled potatoes.
DGF bakewell with raspberries. Did have my usual campari and soda earlier.

Back to normal school run tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stayed overnight at Mum’s so no coconut ‘porridge’ today, can’t be bothered to take the weird and wonderful ingredients with me! :(
So breakfast was: strawberries and cream with vanilla and raspberry LC granola with a black coffee.
Lunch: pistachio nuts followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a packet of coconut bites.
Dinner: Balti chicken curry with cauliflower rice followed by SF jelly, cream and LC vanilla and raspberry berry granola.

Mauriac

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's cold and breezy here today too. I went out just before 8 and it really felt quite nippy. The car said it was 11.5 but in the wind it definitely felt colder.

We had some smoked salmon for lunch and I didn't feel I could have it without some brown bread and butter, but managed to limit myself to just one slice. I had a pear for pudding, which is about 16g of carbs so with a couple of small glasses of wine and some nuts I was over 30g. I just tested twice (which was 1 and 3/4 hour safter first bite and 1 hour after last bite) and they were 7.5 and 7.3, so not bad.

Alastair is now fast asleep in the chair and I'm getting a strong desire to eat some shortbread as I'm watching the French Open tennis. I think I'll do the washing up and see if it takes my mind off the shortbread.
I did manage to resist the shortbread.

This afternoon I had another coffee and some Doux de Montagne cheese with a Ryvita crackerbread. For supper I was lazy and we had a Waitrose slow-cooked brisket that came in a vacuum sealed plastic pouch that you opened and then put the meat in a foil tray and cooked (re-heated I suppose) for 30 mins. I've never had brisket before, let alone as a sort of ready meal, but it was surprisingly nice. We also had a bought :oops: Yorkshire pud each, French beans, spinach and a little horseradish sauce. The instructions said to throw away the cooking 'liquor' (I'd call it juices) which seemed a complete waste to me so I put them in a saucepan, added a little bit of cornflour to thicken, and it made very nice gravy. I also had a glass of wine but no pud.

About 60g of carbs today I think.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@maglil55 -- DGF sounds very tempting, I have never seen a website with a more promising approach or yummier products. Glad you finally got over your illness. It's definitely taken a lot of perseverance and patience.

I spent most of the day in the kitchen today, preparing some stuff for the week including DD keto rolls, baba ghanoush, a lower carb version of boeuf bourgignon, an egg-liqueur cake.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. About 15g of 88% chocolate. Half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate.

Lunch: Half a DD keto roll with butter and turkey salami, half a DD keto roll with chicken liver pate. A taste of the baba ghanoush.

Dinner: A small serving of boeuf bourgignon and a largish piece of egg-liqueur cake. Dry red wine.

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot to mention that while cooking lunch for my boys I licked the baked bean spoon for probably the first time in 5-6 months.
Now I used to love baked beans, but to my surprise not any more :yuck::yuck::yuck:
Just tasted sweet and synthetic and gloopy and somehow gritty. I didn't realise my tastes had changed so much.

Reactions: zauberflote

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
FBG 10.5. Could be worse.

It's early, but I have to go for a blood test today so will have breakfast about 10 am. It will be one sausage, one rasher streaky bacon and one egg.

I have another of those picanha steaks for my second meal, probably with some of the "tired fridge stew" - still one more serving left.

Very breathless last night and this morning, for some reason. The dreaded lurgi, no doubt, raising its ugly head again. No idea how long this will go on for - maybe it's permanent (perish the thought).

The blood test is to see if I can start taking Metformin again. Must try to find out what the surgery is doing about flu jabs. Neil has had a letter saying that he should take it when it is offered. I always have it. I gather there is a shortage of vaccine and some areas are having difficulty sourcing supplies. It said on the early morning breakfast programme that the UK government has impounded any extra stocks so local health boards are not able to get as much as they need.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mrs T 123 - mine will also be going into the small zip locks, particularly when my visit to the butcher's on Thursday led to quite a refill. There's enough to feed us for at least a month in there. 1 loaf is going to son & DIL though. @Goonergal, glad you are feeling better. That lamb would have made most people feel better. @ianpspurs - I see you still have your love of tea and you beat me to it with the yeast. I must say I could visualise @DJC3'S face that day when I enquired about the yeast. Sorry @DJC3. @zauberflote, Hell's Kitchen was too brutal even for me! I like to learn & adapt from these programs.
Saturday
Bed 6.2 FBG 6
B. TAG and a Dailylea triangle while I debated where I was going to shop.
L. On return from Tesco for fuel, Morrison's & Lidl another TAG and the remains of M&S Honduran prawns, mozzarella & pesto and 2 lamb koftas. 2 GF crackers. DGF lemon & blueberry.
D. That thin beef wrapped around sliced peppers and red onion. Added a little more chilli to the tomato type sauce so gave it some heat. Veggie chips.
Another DGF lemon & blueberry.

@DJC3 - the Showstopper was quite a laugh. Poor David Bowie. There was one I thought looked like ET. I think it was the poor girl who was eliminated. The eyes were just too far apart on her 3D effort.
My mouth was a big round ‘O’ when the penny dropped about the yeast, what an idiot lol. yes I agree the showstopper was really funny - some terrible designs.
Ive just sent off for a load more of the DGF cakes too, I wish they’d stop beinging our new flavours - my freezer is getting very full! I’m looking forward to trying the coffee walnut one. My favourite is the pecan butterscotch I think.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
27.09.2020 yesterday.
Breakfast first portion from new batch of nut granola. Far too sweet and salty. :depressed:
2x CWC
Lunch five green veg soup. One slice of toast two fingers of cheese. BG content of soup is low, but so are calories. Tea
Very stressed today. Tough decisions for both of us. There is no good choice, its trying to pick the best out of a bad bunch, when all the choices have major disadvantages. Ate far too much chocolate. Was telling myself this isn't going to make me feel better, but still scoffing it anyway. Stress seems to steal all my self control.
Dinner fish,. Roasted celeriac, carrots, beans and cabbage. Wine.
Coffee and lemon tea later.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Breakfast made 90 second microwave keto bread that i pan fried and made a salami cheese tomato sandwich was nice but very filling meal and could only manage half so leftovers for tomorrow

Dinner quail and potato casserole my mums recipe just pan fried quail and potatoes salt pepper and garlic then slowly cooked on stove top for 30 minutes mum used to add onions but I can't eat them and a cabbage salad with garlicky lemon dressing

20200928_183655~2.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just back from the GP surgery. It took the poor nurse half an hour to find a vein that would yield any blood. I'm covered in sticky plasters where she made holes, but she got some eventually, so all was well. She had said "one more try, and then I'm going to give up and bring you back another day" - much good that would do; I'd be the same any other day as well.

I might have some lunch. Feeling very hungry just now and drinking water or tea just doesn't seem to help. Maybe just some cheese...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Bit of an odd eating day.

Ate my intended lunch of leftover lamb for a late (well 9am seems late when you’ve been up since 5) breakfast as was ravenous.
Lunch was then more of a snack as I couldn’t quite make timings work to travel from office to home for a meeting locally. 45g pack of salted almonds on the train then extra thick double cream and almond butter once home.
Dinner was air fried chicken wings, salted and coated in chilli oil: quite a zing to them. Followed by 2 squares Lindt 90% broken into quarters - tactic seems to be working: thanks @zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening all. A goodish day's sunshine here. A 4.30 wake up then a bijou snoozette before the teapot and kettle bellowed my name. Food today was:
B= 3 x 800 mls Assam tea with almond milk
Snack @ 11.00 am - 800 mls CWC - Nespresso’s biggest and mildest topped up with boiling water and Monin SF caramel syrup - works for me
Lunch @ 15.30: 2 slices of buttered skinny bread (yeast included for the Lolz) toast and 2 more 800 mls Assam tea after an hour with Bill and Ben here. No Holy Moly this week:arghh: - I’ll let that slip up pass just this once
Main meal 18.00: Standard mackerel and avocado salad with chia and flaxseeds; no tea - one needs to show some decorum, eh Dulce?
I conclude it is pointless me looking for hot/comfort (as opposed to tepid) food that is LC and suits my tastes. So, a 2 pronged approach is needed. Bulk of hot(ish) intake via tea/hot chocolate/bouillon or similar +ACV. When I “need” hot food keep it as LC as I can, self medicate with wine and exercise then either don’t test or just accept higher postprandial levels as collateral damage for the greater good. I believe that is what Morton’s Fork is all about. Toodle pip chums.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal congrats on your chocolate management - sounds like a good tip from @zauberflote and pleased it works for you.
Swimming first thing - even had to scrape the ice off the car - busy pool and changing rooms today, a bit less stress busting than usual but still enjoyed and I’ve booked for tomorrow so crossing fingers lower numbers.
Lunch two boiled eggs and a few slices of prosciutto and handful of mixed nuts
Mid pm a few pieces of 100% choc
Dinner Cajun chicken with salads and glass of dry white wine with soda water followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake with a few garden berries and yoghurt.
@DJC3 ive got a ketocake delivery due tomorrow - looking forward to the coffee and walnut especially. As we both like them - and mum too (off up yet again beginning of next week) - mine don’t stay in freezer for that long. I feel I ought to explore keto baking again but the DGF ones are so yummy and although expensive so are the ingredients - I like the variety too. I mix the boxes when arrive so each box then has all the flavours so don’t get bored of one flavour.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
(Skipped lunch.)
Mid afternoon coffee shop visit: coconut cappuccino and birthday cake phd bar.
Dinner: Spanish chicken with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox could you kindly post the link to your granola recipe again please ?

I don’t have a link as I created it from a mix of other recipes!
Here’s my note of the recipe(s) from notes in my iPad.

BA019514-8818-4D76-B627-9CDEFE4959CA.png

Reactions: MrsA2