What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Only 5.2 this morning after all a little higher than my new normal but perfectly fine.:angelic:

Things a lot quieter here this morning what with Keiran 40 miles or so away and Judith at work but some good news on that front they now have a lap top available for her and a pc on order so she can go back to working from home

She is mucho happy about that :)

Oh by the way yesterday at Bells Tea Rooms I also had a delicious Panini bacon and brie sandwich with salad on the side. My blood sugars did go up quite a bit but eventually dropped in a few hours and it ain't something that's going to be repeated well not for a long while:angelic:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good Morning and 6.5 for me today, back in those flipping 6s. :banghead:

Entertaining today. The other two members of our Recorder Quartet are arriving for lunch and then some making music at a social distance. With the weather getting cooler I suddenly find myself stressed about getting heat verses ventilation right. Also going to be interesting with our no floor situation, a bit like walking the plank. Then there is the question of Covid risk, everything we seem to do which is getting less and less socially is becoming stressful and worrying. I will strive to live by the rules but have no desire to become a hermit. Hard times.:(

Fill your day with interest. Keep safe.

On the mention of ventilation.
I did come across a post on twitter extolling the virtues of the Germans for airing room/house twice daily.

Not sure how scientific it is, but as simple aid, I think we will start doing it.

Debate did dwell on heat loss, but apparently, fresh air warms faster then stale, apparently.

Enjoy the singing.
Think song sheets will be the first to go, in the new Farenheit 451 :bag:

https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451

lindisfel

Expert
Got some some new house phones to replace the poor sound quality Panasonics had for years.
Decided to get bog standard Gigasets 455s and the sound quality is better and louder.

But driving the thing from the menu in the instructions is awful...I am getting there, but the Duchess refuses to look at them at all.
I have my jobs, she had hers and I know my place! :)
When I first retired properly 20 years ago I was told, I am not the men from work this is my kitchen, get into your shed! :)
We are old fashioned like that.
D.

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
I did come across a post on twitter extolling the virtues of the Germans for airing room/house twice daily.

Not sure how scientific it is, but as simple aid, I think we will start doing it.

Debate did dwell on heat loss, but apparently, fresh air warms faster then stale, apparently.

Enjoy the singing.

Hi JJ,
Heard on the WS last night, it is apparently a well designed system removing long lasting covid aerosols from indoors?

lindisfel

Expert
Only 5.2 this morning after all a little higher than my new normal but perfectly fine.:angelic:

Things a lot quieter here this morning what with Keiran 40 miles or so away and Judith at work but some good news on that front they now have a lap top available for her and a pc on order so she can go back to working from home

She is mucho happy about that :)

Oh by the way yesterday at Bells Tea Rooms I also had a delicious Panini bacon and brie sandwich with salad on the side. My blood sugars did go up quite a bit but eventually dropped in a few hours and it ain't something that's going to be repeated well not for a long while:angelic:
I would steer clear of Lincoln, its a den of unbridled iniquity!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
5.9 this morning which is higher then yesterday which was confusing as i only ate around 800 calories yesterday but 40g was carbs :s

Hi Bill.

I see the body as a highly complex machine,
With checks and balances to stop YOU killing it accidentally.

When we stop giving the body what it's used to, it isn't aware we are doing it with good intentions, so begins making up the shortfall of what IT believes OUR body needs.

After a few or weeks I found the same for me, good efforts not reflected in the number

But with the same consistent approach, it seemed to learn I was SAFE,
And then began dialing down the extra help.

My advise for the early stages of LCHF
( 6 months) would be still check daily,
but don't me too perturbed by a higher number then wished for based in foods eaten,
Look to the drop over a week or two for the progress.

I do however think the pre / post food bgs tell us much more about how well we are managing this new way of eating,
and give valuable insight into how to tailor our new diet to have the best effect pleasure v better choices.

As said previously, if your not enjoying the food you are choosing to eat, higher likely hood you won't stay the course.

Just my tuppence worth, no more knowledgeable then many others on here.

But never hurts to have another viewpoint to help make rational decisions.

I would, if you haven't got it already, recommend Jason fungs, the diabetes code

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0795BLS8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LIAFFbZNQJ23K

For a bodger mechanic like me, I saw this like a Haynes manual for T2D.
All models, all years...;)

Is it the Bible..no.
But it does give a very good overview of what IS happening to us as we tackle this disease.

Good luck on the journey.
You'll find your way, for sure.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Carrying on with mountains and waterfalls. Tryfan and the waterfall I painted yesterday seen from Nant Ffrancon with Benglog, Ogwen falls below. Another of my favourite walks. This face of Tryfan gets the last of the setting sun the valley lightens up and the rock face of the mountain glows. I have been a bit bold with the colours I need to take a leaf out of @geefull book and use a lighter approach, ah well ''tis done. Watercolour A4 about 1 hour with drying times.

I have included the early stage of the painting as a thumb nail before the detail was added.View attachment 44465
View attachment 44464

I love the drama of this painting @Muddy Cyclist

The lit up rocks, the dark moody clouds, the light catching on the fields down below.

It is perfect in my eyes...
:)

Reactions: mojo37 and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I posted my fbg this morning it was 4.4.

Well Keiran is back in his university accommodation at Lincoln when we got back the place seemed a bit empty and flat.

I expect my fbg tommorow to be a bit higher as after we dropped Keiran off we took a little trip up to the cathedral about a ten minute walk from his accommodation but up a rather steep hill so we drove and it took a little longer any way we ended up in some tea rooms and sort of went a bit off the wagon.

View attachment 44467
Well a lot off the wagon but could not resist.

A bit off the wagon....???
This used to be my treat (before being diagnosed a diabetic) when doing long distance trips driving in the car....

Delicious!!!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from a day of promise and wonder in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of spicy squash curry accompanied by mixed mushrooms with onion, chili and ginger in honour of National Curry Week came in at 5.2 this am. Keralan style boiled egg curry on the menu tonight (potatoes being replaced with celeriac).

Wonderful sunny and warm day yesterday so granddaughter treated to a round of the park and then a long perambulate up the beach. Overall, managed just short of 7 miles. NHS app pinged “Possible Covid-19 exposure. Someone your were near reported having Covid-19 blah blah - search on internet - message seems to mean nothing at all and just some ghost in the machine. The acronym KISS springs to mind - mind you if you don’t know columns from rows it doesn’t look good.

Another tree today - transported from our local park and plonked into la la land. Hope everyone has a great day - the sun shines brightly here - time for koffy

View attachment 44483
This is gorgeous. I love it @dunelm
:)

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Enjoy the singing.

I ventilate this bungalow...once daily...Cat is chucked into the potting shed... and windows and doors all opened...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good evening all :)

4.9/4.4 yesterday (pick a finger ;)) and 4.2 today

BT are still digging their trench, I think they are laying in new fibre cable for a group of house sites.
Our internet is up and down still. I must try to catch up with the posts I've missed :sorry:

I look forward to seeing the art for the last couple of days, I've missed it :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

here are a couple of quick sketches I did whilst sitting outside the health centre waiting for mr gee.
View attachment 44468

and my try at painting an interesting sky View attachment 44469

Found you!

A brilliant couple of sketches @geefull

Painting - drama in the sky rushing towards you, a great sea, and you are the master of that special kind of detail you do in the hills, it is brilliant.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am late today. Went shopping early.

Fbg 6.5

Painting for today - I had a play with iPastel app. The free version. It is a little old fashioned, but I like the way it is set out with the colour palettes. I did find something that showed you a complementary colour, then I couldn't find it again. I am a bit tired now, because I went somewhere this morning (in Wales) where there are two new shops open (that I used to cross the border into England for), and they are literally warehouse sized. Although I am on my mobility scooter, I reckon it'll need a service after trawling up and down all those aisles. And I need a sleep...

So this is only a play of a few minutes. I am tired...I will try better next time in iPastel. Probably you can gets these effects (With a few more bells and whistles) in the other painting apps I have, but I liked the simplicity of iPastel.

Cat has been chucked in potting shed to sunbathe in there, while I have all outside doors and windows open in my bungalow for a good airing, and now a well deserved nap...

26EB5352-C71D-43DE-B8C9-2B66F8D83F2A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Bill.

I see the body as a highly complex machine,
With checks and balances to stop YOU killing it accidentally.

When we stop giving the body what it's used to, it isn't aware we are doing it with good intentions, so begins making up the shortfall of what IT believes OUR body needs.

After a few or weeks I found the same for me, good efforts not reflected in the number

But with the same consistent approach, it seemed to learn I was SAFE,
And then began dialing down the extra help.

My advise for the early stages of LCHF
( 6 months) would be still check daily,
but don't me too perturbed by a higher number then wished for based in foods eaten,
Look to the drop over a week or two for the progress.

I do however think the pre / post food bgs tell us much more about how well we are managing this new way of eating,
and give valuable insight into how to tailor our new diet to have the best effect pleasure v better choices.

As said previously, if your not enjoying the food you are choosing to eat, higher likely hood you won't stay the course.

Just my tuppence worth, no more knowledgeable then many others on here.

But never hurts to have another viewpoint to help make rational decisions.

I would, if you haven't got it already, recommend Jason fungs, the diabetes code

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0795BLS8D/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_LIAFFbZNQJ23K

For a bodger mechanic like me, I saw this like a Haynes manual for T2D.
All models, all years...;)

Is it the Bible..no.
But it does give a very good overview of what IS happening to us as we tackle this disease.

Good luck on the journey.
You'll find your way, for sure.

Haynes manual, definately JJ.
The liver is analagous to a flywheel, taking in energy when producing full power and giving it out when input power drops.
For the very fortunate it is not evident, it results in constant correct output.
Those fat stores I reckon are more like a full tank of fuel.
D.

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I posted my fbg this morning it was 4.4.

Well Keiran is back in his university accommodation at Lincoln when we got back the place seemed a bit empty and flat.

I expect my fbg tommorow to be a bit higher as after we dropped Keiran off we took a little trip up to the cathedral about a ten minute walk from his accommodation but up a rather steep hill so we drove and it took a little longer any way we ended up in some tea rooms and sort of went a bit off the wagon.

View attachment 44467
Well a lot off the wagon but could not resist.
Looks lush :)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.4 this morning

been a mixed day of sunshine and showers with many spectacular clouds :)

@lindisfel - was also out at 08.00am to Lidl :hilarious:

shopping day interrupted for mr gee to go see the DN to get his toes etc. tickled for the first time since he was only diagnosed a few days ago.
The rest of us aren't getting an HbA1c done any time soon, we've been put back to yearly because of the covid ;) , my foot etc. inspection was due at the beginning of September :sorry:

Still got loads of posts to catch up on :bag:

Hope your day is treating you kindly :)

@Muddy Cyclist - I absolutely love that picture of Typhan, so dramatic and with a lovely colour palette, enjoy your music :)

@dunelm - splendid tree and very well rooted in it's background landscape :)

@gennepher - I like that and for a first shot with a new program that's impressive :)

Art bit -
upload_2020-10-7_18-56-28.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Looks lush :)

Beautiful but dangerous the Mata Hari of beverages.

Thankfully we do not go to Lincoln that often and so will stay clear of the temptation of a repeat encounter.

The truly ironic thing about it all was while we were there my daughter received a call from her consultant Gastroenterologist for her telephone consultation, and he asked her to avoid dairy foods for the next week or so.

Last edited: