What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Carrying on with mountains and waterfalls. Tryfan and the waterfall I painted yesterday seen from Nant Ffrancon with Benglog, Ogwen falls below. Another of my favourite walks. This face of Tryfan gets the last of the setting sun the valley lightens up and the rock face of the mountain glows. I have been a bit bold with the colours I need to take a leaf out of @geefull book and use a lighter approach, ah well ''tis done. Watercolour A4 about 1 hour with drying times.

I have included the early stage of the painting as a thumb nail before the detail was added.
IMG_3885.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

lindisfel

Expert
It was a channel 5 programme.

Apparently Churchill cried at his funeral. One wonders if he cried for those he sent to their deaths?
Mind you a little emotion goes a long way at times.
I was wondering if 20th century history was in your field of study?
D

I'll google it, thanks. My opinion of Churchill isn't really fit for a family website - rather like asking me what I think of Arsenal or the Chappell brothers - but I can be persuaded to see the good in most people. I've seen Lawrence of Arabia but failed to suspend my disbelief. Are you referring to a more nuanced portrayal?

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a channel 5 programme.

Apparently Churchill cried at his funeral. One wonders if he cried for those he sent to their deaths?
Mind you a little emotion goes a long way at times.
I was wondering if 20th century history was in your field of study?
D
A weird mix for my first degree. C16th Europe, American History and The Great Dictators along with Historiography and Historical methodology. Avoided anything British, oddly. I then elected to teach Medicine through time, The American West and Communist China. with Victorian Britain and Historical methods. Had 2 spells as Head of RE - apparently keeping students in the room for that was unheard of. Ended up teaching IT/Computing to A Level - loved the challenge of that but asked to do some RE as well. I did enjoy teaching Sociology - quite hilarious really but a piece of hiss. Best of all was teaching/coaching cricket.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Hi Ian,
Did you see the T.E.Lawrence biopic?
Wondered what you thought to it?

Churchill obviously thought him a great guy.
D.
Churchill may have thought him a great guy but those who served with him at RAF Mount Batten with him weren't so keen on him according to one old marine branch guy who was there at the time they had a distaste for the way he used his notoriety to get his own way and curry favor at the cost of every one else there. They found him arrogant and conceited. or that's what he told me when I met him, as when I was posted there he was still in the mob.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I don't think I posted my fbg this morning it was 4.4.

Well Keiran is back in his university accommodation at Lincoln when we got back the place seemed a bit empty and flat.

I expect my fbg tommorow to be a bit higher as after we dropped Keiran off we took a little trip up to the cathedral about a ten minute walk from his accommodation but up a rather steep hill so we drove and it took a little longer any way we ended up in some tea rooms and sort of went a bit off the wagon.

IMG_0307.jpg

Well a lot off the wagon but could not resist.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think I posted my fbg this morning it was 4.4.

Well Keiran is back in his university accommodation at Lincoln when we got back the place seemed a bit empty and flat.

I expect my fbg tommorow to be a bit higher as after we dropped Keiran off we took a little trip up to the cathedral about a ten minute walk from his accommodation but up a rather steep hill so we drove and it took a little longer any way we ended up in some tea rooms and sort of went a bit off the wagon.

View attachment 44467
Well a lot off the wagon but could not resist.
Well it certainly looks HF and I bet you enjoyed it far more than anything Wishbone would have on the LC chuck wagon - yes, I remember Rawhide.

lindisfel

Expert
Churchill may have thought him a great guy but those who served with him at RAF Mount Batten with him weren't so keen on him according to one old marine branch guy who was there at the time they had a distaste for the way he used his notoriety to get his own way and curry favor at the cost of every one else there. They found him arrogant and conceited. or that's what he told me when I met him, as when I was posted there he was still in the mob.

I think, John, many of us have frailties when held up to the magnifying glass.

I thought the anguish he suffered over how the British used the Arabs and then sold them down the river had merit. Between them and the French they divided up the Middle East, causing subsequent traumas.

A bit like Trump ditched the Kurds and the way the British left the liaison interpreters to the mercy of the Taliban.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
A weird mix for my first degree. C16th Europe, American History and The Great Dictators along with Historiography and Historical methodology. Avoided anything British, oddly. I then elected to teach Medicine through time, The American West and Communist China. with Victorian Britain and Historical methods. Had 2 spells as Head of RE - apparently keeping students in the room for that was unheard of. Ended up teaching IT/Computing to A Level - loved the challenge of that but asked to do some RE as well. I did enjoy teaching Sociology - quite hilarious really but a piece of hiss. Best of all was teaching/coaching cricket.
Thanks, Ian.
D.

lindisfel

Expert
[Quote John Green.

I expect my fbg tommorow to be a bit higher as after we dropped Keiran off we took a little trip up to the cathedral about a ten minute walk from his accommodation but up a rather steep hill so we drove and it took a little longer any way we ended up in some tea rooms and sort of went a bit off the wagon.]
End of quote.

Hi John,
That steep hill is where the Roman Fosse Way went into Lindum Colonia,
I used to ride my racing bike up that hill on the path, which was illegal then, to go to an annex of the Tech College.

We well remember Helen going to Uni in Leeds,
It was a real difficult time for us both, she was always a pleasure to have at home but they need their freedom to grow.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

geefull

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
good evening all :)

4.9/4.4 yesterday (pick a finger ;)) and 4.2 today

BT are still digging their trench, I think they are laying in new fibre cable for a group of house sites.
Our internet is up and down still. I must try to catch up with the posts I've missed :sorry:

I look forward to seeing the art for the last couple of days, I've missed it :)

Hope your day is treating you well :)

here are a couple of quick sketches I did whilst sitting outside the health centre waiting for mr gee.
upload_2020-10-6_21-57-59.jpeg

and my try at painting an interesting sky
upload_2020-10-6_21-58-38.jpeg

Reactions: karen8967

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a similar thing happen when out bike riding a Boarder Collie came over to me and started following me, no one around, no tag on collar but obviously didn't want to leave me. She followed me to Rugeley Town, luckily a traffic free bridleway all the way to the park. I split a spare inner tube tied it around her collar and used it as a lead to get her to the vets she was so good running by my side even when I rode with her on the makeshift lead. Vet scanned her and rang me later to say a very pleased owner had collected her, like you say a good feeling.

Your rescue was also good by the sounds of it, a nice thing to do some owner should be very pleased.
What a lovely rescue. The border collie must have decided that you were her best hope of being reunited with her owners.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and my try at painting an interesting sky
And a very interesting sky you have painted, so much depth, it's not easy to make clouds look as though they are rushing towards you, also usual brilliant painting of the hills.

Two nice Plein Air sketches. I like the unfinished cars and building not distracting from the trees but giving scale.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning. Stopped sleeping (war on woke, remember) well before 4 which is often one of the joys of LC for me. Never accompanied by satisfactory A1c. No fbg as I don't see that it will reveal anything useful just at the minute. Julie is in Southampton as pregnant DIL is in hospital being monitored and we have a granddaughter missing mum and needing care. I think that as DIL is a nurse on the teenage cancer ward and works 12 hr+ shifts she just needs a rest. Scan shows she and baby girl (not another one:arghh:) are fine. An ex Zimbabwean cricketer is ripping out and replacing all out loos, baths and showers and turning the rooms less just not me. His mate has honoured his word and beat the best price for the hardware Julie found on t'internet:):)All good fun but I have mucho tea, almond milk, avocado, salad, 5 litres each of EVO and mayo and plenty of tins of mackerel:):) Hope all goes well for you fine people. I do find the BCP more to my taste as an ageing fogey. This is such an elegant way to ask for everything I wish you all today: those things which are requisite and necessary, as well for the body as the soul. Pip, pip old toots.

Last edited:
Reactions: karen8967