What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD today.
Lunch was leftover central. Leftover lamb, chicken and carnivore stuffing from the weekend followed by a small Yeo Vally Greek yoghurt with a few small pieces of 90% chocolate added.
Afternoon snack of extra thick double cream with almond butter.
Dinner of 20% mince fried with onions and 2 eggs.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 very beguiling pic there!
Thanks!
Both for the compliment and for the new word learned :)

Today was an unexpectedly fishy day :)
Everything started out as usual, coffee, cigarette, breakfast a couple of hours later, consisting of a slice of seeded low carb bread, half with butter and parmesan, half with butter and marmite.

Then my friend called to ask if I felt like doing the weekly groceries with her and her 1 year old, as her brother's car broke down. She's fine with the daily shopping by bike with the child, but it being a little under 10 kilometers to the nearest supermarket and not much room left for bags on the bike with a child already there I thought she was right to ask.
She bought us both a nieuwe haring* (a salted and fermented raw herring, a very delicious Dutch specialty) to enjoy in the parking lot :hungry:. Dogs of course enjoyed the tails, daughter loves herring as well!
She also bought us a 'Friese droge worst' (Dried sausage from the province of Friesland, softer than salami and with different flavours) to share between us, dogs and daughter on the way back.
I love how she has a perfect understanding of what foods I can eat without hassle and what foods mean lots of testing and correcting with insulin or sweets!

Back home I had a beer, and then my neighbour came over with a freshly smoked eel. On misty days and dark nights he does some poaching, and while I'm aware of eels being in trouble there is no way I can resist an eel still warm from the smoker!
This time it was the cats and dogs getting lucky when I divided the skin for them and gave the head to the cat with the broken paw :)

Dinner will be reheated leftovers from yesterday, bell pepper stuffed with tuna melt muffin batter with an added bell pepper and two very small hasselback potatoes from Lidl with mayonnaise. Thought I was going to cook and give the leftovers to the dogs and cats but I'm too lazy so now I'm happy I saved it :)

*) In case you're wondering what nieuwe haring is, judging from this video with expats in the Netherlands trying it, it looks like an acquired taste! In case you're ever in the situation to try, it works a lot better standing up than sitting in a chair :hilarious:

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and salted caramel phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner: liver and bacon in onion gravy with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A 7 inch square tin supposed to cut into 16 portions, but I've had to divide them again. Used a whole 100g bar of 85% for the topping and boy says all he could taste was the chocolate not the almond false caramel layer nor the biscuity bottom. I will freeze the rest and have the odd piece very occasionally .
I will play with parts of the recipe and maybe use elements in other dishes.
I've put the recipe in my Copymethat as not sure this link will work
https://t4s.site/view/https://t4s.site/view/
3g carbs per 1/16th. Be warned, if even I find them rich,they are very very rich
Link didn't work for me - what did you use for the biscuit base?

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So ... today's food

10am - greek yoghurt with a little cinnamon, flaxseed and mixed berries. Mug of earl grey tea.

2pm (before work) - 4 large chicken drumsticks with Nandos piri piri sauce

8.30pm - Mug of earl grey tea with 2 squares of 90% dark lindtt chocolate with peanut butter on top and a handful of almonds.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I loved that video, it really made me laugh and I don’t know whether I actually want to try it or not.
@DCUKMod thanks for the Lidl mulled wine photo. I hadn’t realised it was non alcoholic which is an added bonus as daughter&partner don’t drink ( I’d probably dilute with red wine for me and Paul as you suggest)
@ianpspurs I still have 1/2 bag of Callebaut left in the cupboard - it was your mention of CCBs that reminded me about it. It’s taking up a lot of space so I really need to use it.
@ziggy_w I have always found the same - h/m ice cream goes rock solid and loses taste in the freezer. I have the same problem with space - my freezer is currently full of the SLC bread.
Today I didn’t intend to have breakfast but in the interest of having a tidy fridge I finished the untidy pot of M&S whipped creamy cheese. An awful lot of coffee too.
Lunch was tuna salad with zoodles, a tomato and Hb egg followed by DGF raspberry bakewell.
Dinner was garlic and herb stuffed pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, with roast cauli and wilted spinach.
Made some of @MrsA2 ‘s berry puddings for desert, but forgot about them so they cooked for way too long. Still tasty though.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Antje77 I loved that video, it really made me laugh and I don’t know whether I actually want to try it or not.
@DCUKMod thanks for the Lidl mulled wine photo. I hadn’t realised it was non alcoholic which is an added bonus as daughter&partner don’t drink ( I’d probably dilute with red wine for me and Paul as you suggest)
@ianpspurs I still have 1/2 bag of Callebaut left in the cupboard - it was your mention of CCBs that reminded me about it. It’s taking up a lot of space so I really need to use it.
@ziggy_w I have always found the same - h/m ice cream goes rock solid and loses taste in the freezer. I have the same problem with space - my freezer is currently full of the SLC bread.
Today I didn’t intend to have breakfast but in the interest of having a tidy fridge I finished the untidy pot of M&S whipped creamy cheese. An awful lot of coffee too.
Lunch was tuna salad with zoodles, a tomato and Hb egg followed by DGF raspberry bakewell.
Dinner was garlic and herb stuffed pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, with roast cauli and wilted spinach.
Made some of @MrsA2 ‘s berry puddings for desert, but forgot about them so they cooked for way too long. Still tasty though.

If you're looking to use up your Callebaut, you could make some artisanal chocolates for the festive time?

Reactions: OzBlossom and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started well with breakfast of berry bake, then an exercise class. Lunch was cheese, one slice of ham and a tomato
Then hubby decided he was going to bake a cake, a non diabetic proper cake. He is a novice in the kitchen.
It started well until he found one of his accounts had been hacked so he abandoned kitchen and cake to go try fix things so muggins was left with the sugary, fatty , delicious mess of spoons, bowls and scents of proper baking :arghh: and, yes dear reader, my months of control and self restraint went in a second. :arghh::arghh:. Spoons were licked, fingers licked, bowls scraped...
He was trying 2 recipes and so both had to be finished, tested, tasted and compared.

I have given most of the results (one of which was edible and one superb) to boy to take and share with work colleague and am really trying to ignore the bits left here for hubby and boy, even though I can hear them calling from the tin 2 rooms away.

I did try to mitigate the sugars by having some chicken and some cream as by now it was tea time.

Haven't dared test.

Luckily for me, the hacking has taken a lot of time to resolve so have been on that most of the evening and not thinking of food/cake.
Need to source some serious control overnight

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you're looking to use up your Callebaut, you could make some artisanal chocolates for the festive time?

Nice idea - it’d probably only be me who eats them though - it’s much too dark and bitter for the other faint hearted souls.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice idea - it’d probably only be me who eats them though - it’s much too dark and bitter for the other faint hearted souls.

You'd be surprised how the flavours change if you create a soft centre of, say, fruit.

Recently, I did some strawberry - using the fruit from the vodka infusion, and also some ginger. I soaked some crystalised ginger, to get rid of as much of the sugar crust as I could, chopped, the covered in chocolate.

I made mainly a 100gr block, with the squares mixed, then with the little bit I had left over, I used a silicone ice cube tray. I didn't completely fill the ice cube cells, so that there was plenty of choc, but not like a hard, hard brisk.

I still have the cranberries I used a couple of days ago, but in the process, they have virtually gone to a paste.

You could use soaked sultanas, to balance the sweet with the dark chocolate for normies. Bearing in mind quantities are in your control, so you could experiment with a handful at a time.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a slightly different caramel recipe. 1/4 cup of Lakanto classic Monk fruit sweetener, 3 tbls butter and 3 tbls double cream. (I don't like nut butters or nut milk).

Put the Monk Fruit into a pot and heat very gently until it goes liquid i.e. caramelised.
Give it a stir and start whisking in the butter (you can bring the heat up slightly at this point but not to a boil). Once butter is melted and combined whisk in the cream, keep stirring until it thickens slightly. Take it off the heat and stir for another couple of minutes.

I keep it in a kilner pot in the fridge (due to butter/cream). It does solidify in the fridge hence how it could be used as an alternative for the caramel section of millionaire shortbread (you'd have to up the quantities). If you want to use it as a caramel sauce though, a 10 second blast in the microwave turns it to a sauce again.

You do have to watch the first stage. Like "normal" caramel it's very easy to burn and ruin if you take your eye off the ball (as many Bake Off watchers can confirm)!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's intake will surprise absolutely no one - it's probably not worth your time me posting. B= 2+ litres of TWAM; Dockey: Almond milk latte with SF caramel syrup and 40 gms Dr A choc; L= Chicken breast/pastrami + cuc in Romaine leaves as 3 “sandwiches”, more cuc, salad leaves and acv; EM: Mackerel and avocado salad. How do you guys make a vaguely acceptable biscuit section for Millionaires SB/CCB other than milled flaxseed, inulin and butter? No sensor since Sept 2 but will fit one and maybe try this new wonder bread versus skinnybread and Mestermacher for taste and impact. What is it again please? Oh, Callebaut disappears in a skip.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be surprised how the flavours change if you create a soft centre of, say, fruit.

Recently, I did some strawberry - using the fruit from the vodka infusion, and also some ginger. I soaked some crystalised ginger, to get rid of as much of the sugar crust as I could, chopped, the covered in chocolate.

I made mainly a 100gr block, with the squares mixed, then with the little bit I had left over, I used a silicone ice cube tray. I didn't completely fill the ice cube cells, so that there was plenty of choc, but not like a hard, hard brisk.

I still have the cranberries I used a couple of days ago, but in the process, they have virtually gone to a paste.

You could use soaked sultanas, to balance the sweet with the dark chocolate for normies. Bearing in mind quantities are in your control, so you could experiment with a handful at a time.

Oh I used to love chocolate ginger! That’s very tempting. Good idea with the boozy strawberries - I have some strawberry gin marinating so that’s a thought.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh I used to love chocolate ginger! That’s very tempting. Good idea with the boozy strawberries - I have some strawberry gin marinating so that’s a thought.

I gave the strawberry bits (as I have roughly chopped them, for maximum "exposure") about an hour in the dehydrator, but my OH suggested it'd probably have worked just as well with a light coating of decent cocoa/hot chocolate powder. He's favouring Bourneville at the moment so the tiniest bit dusted on wouldn't be dire.

The ginger we inspired by Hotel Chocolat's Enrobed Ginger he's been rationing himself with. I'm impressed by the man's self-control, but he always has had an enviable "off switch" when it comes to food and drink.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave the strawberry bits (as I have roughly chopped them, for maximum "exposure") about an hour in the dehydrator, but my OH suggested it'd probably have worked just as well with a light coating of decent cocoa/hot chocolate powder. He's favouring Bourneville at the moment so the tiniest bit dusted on wouldn't be dire.

The ginger we inspired by Hotel Chocolat's Enrobed Ginger he's been rationing himself with. I'm impressed by the man's self-control, but he always has had an enviable "off switch" when it comes to food and drink.

I don’t think I was there the day that Off Switches were given out.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today's intake will surprise absolutely no one - it's probably not worth your time me posting. B= 2+ litres of TWAM; Dockey: Almond milk latte with SF caramel syrup and 40 gms Dr A choc; L= Chicken breast/pastrami + cuc in Romaine leaves as 3 “sandwiches”, more cuc, salad leaves and acv; EM: Mackerel and avocado salad. How do you guys make a vaguely acceptable biscuit section for Millionaires SB/CCB other than milled flaxseed, inulin and butter? No sensor since Sept 2 but will fit one and maybe try this new wonder bread versus skinnybread and Mestermacher for taste and impact. What is it again please? Oh, Callebaut disappears in a skip.

It’s this: Hope you like it

https://seriouslylowcarb.com/collections/seriously-low-carb-food