What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you I’m only week 1 on meals from home and tablets to I’m a newbie

Hi and welcome from me too. I second everything @shelley262 has said. Quite a few people here have been in the same position as you. It’s confusing and a bit overwhelming at first I know, but it really is possible to make a big difference.
There are lots of good low carb meal ideas on this thread and people are more than happy to share them with you. Stick around - you’ll soon get the hang of it.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Exercise class then
l: 1 chicken thigh, pate and a tomato
D: 2 heck 97% sausages, sprouts and onion gravy.
I had made celeriac mash earlier to go with it, but forgot to serve it! Dessert of lc lemon cake from a new recipe. Will play with it a bit before posting but has potential.

Have also perfected hot chocolate drink
1 rounded teaspoon cocoa powder mixed with a little unsweetened almond milk and a very little sweetener (1/4 teaspoon pure via) in a mug
Heat 300ml (or enough for your mug) unsweetened almond milk in the micro wave until very hot/boiling.
Add to the cocoa stirring well. Add a little double cream to taste, and drink

I've been trying many versions but this one with almond milk is very smooth. I sometimes add a little coffee to make it a mocha. Or even a little brandy or whisky if the weather is very cold!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote Happy thanks giving!

@shelley262 thanks for the other slc - still no sign of my replacement although it was supposedly despatched on Tuesday with 48 tracking - according to the tracking it has not arrived in any sorting office in Scotland never mind my local one so I fear mouldygate again - it would be good to have an alternative as I like their produce but they are just not organised enough for me.

Hello and welcome @Sugarlisa

Brunch - 2 hard boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - steak & onions with brussel sprouts and broccoli. SF jelly & soya cream

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://lowcarbfood.co/shop/low-carb-seeded-bloomer/
Just had an email from these guys a new company and their ingredients look very similar to my home made loaf ie no palm oil etc! May be worth a look? @ianpspurs
I may give it a try but I do enjoy making my own. good to see a new UK company
@DJC3 @maglil55 @Mrs T 123 know you like the SLC this May be a possible alternative?
Ps they also do lots of welsh grass fed beef and lamb @Goonergal

I’ve just had the email too! I like the idea of the shop. The ingredients look good even in the ready meals. It’s good to know they are offering grass fed meat too.
I might give their bread a go - I’ve given up trying to make my own since I gave away my KitchenAid.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Bfast avocado, boiled egg, 5-6 pecan pieces while warming them, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Thanksgiving lunch plenty of pecans, turkey (of course!), tip of spoon cranberry relish, small spoon corn casserole, green beans with onion and slivered almonds and they tasted slightly sweet, huh! Tip of fork a chocolate mousse thing, one pecan from pecan pie, and two very small pieces pumpkin pie, ate no crust.
Supper soon cherry tomatoes, cucumber, spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy
@DJC3 thank you! Remember, my jar was twice as big as yours
@ianpspurs thank you too! so glad the base got the day off-- this is the only American holiday that everything grinds to a halt and everybody eats too much. "Nocebo effect" Do the rolls really have sweetener in them? Hope the Armagnac helped the game along!
Hi @Sugarlisa and welcome to the thread!
@Annb so glad your beef pleased you!
@Mrs T 123 thank you!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast CWC, nut granola,
Lunch unsweetened peanut butter and 2 ryvita. Cup of tea
Dinner carribean curry hash, with roasted butternut squash, carrot ,potato and cauliflower. Had one small piece of squash, one tiny potato, but the hash contained sweet potato and potato am hoping resistant starch will help with fasting BG 2 glasses wine
Late night snack 2 small pieces of manchego cheese
Lemon tea
@zauberflote happy thanksgiving
@Annb Glad you are feeling better.
@shelley262 will be Che king out that website tomorrow, thanks for the link

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMG_8812.jpg

This weeks home made loaf - adpated from the one I posted a couple of weeks ago
- less egg and no almond flour this time round. Planning next week to try reducing egg even more and also replacing the butter with Olive Oil, will let you know how it goes.

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms in width you could use two small tins if prefer. I also used a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices I tend to pack small batches of slices together kept separate by kitchen towel pieces.

Carb content of the whole mixture is a max of 30g per loaf – I manage to slice the loaf into 25 reasonable size slices which worked out as 1.2g per slice- if you go thinner carb content per slice will reduce.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread

One and a third cup of warm water

One tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film

While it is proving

2 eggs – beaten together with a Pinch of salt and put to one side

in a mixer bowl add:

140g of milled seeds (I use organic flax/linseed)

70g of oat fibre

20g of psyllium husk

230g of vital wheat gluten

80g of cubed butter

Mix the dry ingredients and cubed butter together with a dough hook then slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the eggs beaten with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds and I also added the proven yeast mix to the dry ingredients and let it stand for about 5 mins before I started machine up to give the yeast adjustment time!)

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, add some sprinkled seeds to the top of the loaf, if liked, and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 180 fan and then add to oven for 35 mins and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off.

Cost – I bulk buy ingredients and use organic if possible - which work out at around £4 a loaf

Will post food this evening but need to use the PC to post from my word file -its much easier than my tablet!
Edit this one rose so well that when sliced it this evening it produced 30 large slices so this one was only 1g of carb per slice

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Belated welcome @Sugarlisa. B=Much TWAM (sweetener+inulin) ; Dockey: CWC +caramel syrup - 2 x of the dinky bags of cheesies, Emmental and Red Leicester: Lunch 1.45 ish: Marmite and Cheese roll. Thawed another SLC roll. Marmite may mask E taste. I also need sweet pickle in my world somehow. EM: Super Salmon and avocado salad - head and shoulders my favourite meal of the week and the one with which I feel most comfortable/at home - still only rates as functional especially when one forgets the avo:banghead::banghead:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Bfast eaten stretched out around an errand avocado, pecans, boiled eggs, total 2 sq Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Supper old faithful spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy, and.... can of tuna maybe?
Spending the entire day catching up on laundry and ransacking the place for my oil of anise to make the boys' favorite Christmas cookies. I have located every single item that was in proximity to the tiny vial before we moved, and am becoming discouraged, as this was the one task I'd set myself for today. Arrggh!

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Lunch 1.45 ish: Marmite and Cheese roll. Thawed another SLC roll. Marmite may mask E taste. I also need sweet pickle in my world somehow.:

Did the marmite (gag!! Lol) work its hypothesized magic? And if you do artificial sweeteners, I have never gotten an aftertaste from aspartame. Caffeine side effects yes-- a harsher high from an aspartame sweetened cold tea than from good sugar ditto, so I avoid both nowadays. But I'm sure there are small-batch non-canned pickle recipes using it.

Reactions: ziggy_w

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Belated welcome @Sugarlisa. B=Much TWAM (sweetener+inulin) ; Dockey: CWC +caramel syrup - 2 x of the dinky bags of cheesies, Emmental and Red Leicester: Lunch 1.45 ish: Marmite and Cheese roll. Thawed another SLC roll. Marmite may mask E taste. I also need sweet pickle in my world somehow. EM: Super Salmon and avocado salad - head and shoulders my favourite meal of the week and the one with which I feel most comfortable/at home - still only rates as functional especially when one forgets the avo:banghead::banghead:

I wonder if this might give you and MrsP something to work from: https://www.food.com/recipe/the-almost-original-branston-pickle-recipe-246675

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if this might give you and MrsP something to work from: https://www.food.com/recipe/the-almost-original-branston-pickle-recipe-246675
Thanks for that - new Performance Management target for the gel. @zauberflote Marmite was pivotal in getting me my first degree - food parcels of giant Jars as toast was about all I could deal with from Uni food.
Update: Allegedly, Tesco sweet pickle only has 4.1 gms carb per serve; Sainsbury's is 3.7 - both 15 gms. I prefer sweet pickle to Branston but Julie is very odd and likes B.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Trying for OMAD again today but when it transpired that I wouldn’t be eating til 7ish I caved and had a couple of airfried chicken wings for lunch.
Evening meal was a chicken crust pizza topped with mozzarella and chorizo then a handful of 100% cocoa buttons.
@zauberflote I am constantly looking for stuff I’ve had for years - I can always remember exactly where it would be in the old house, or even in the house before that. But not in the current house. Hope you find it - you could always buy another bottle, it’d be sure to show up then!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bfast eaten stretched out around an errand avocado, pecans, boiled eggs, total 2 sq Lindt 90%, flax crisps/dilute soymilk
Supper old faithful spinach/hm dressing, flax crisps/soy, and.... can of tuna maybe?
Spending the entire day catching up on laundry and ransacking the place for my oil of anise to make the boys' favorite Christmas cookies. I have located every single item that was in proximity to the tiny vial before we moved, and am becoming discouraged, as this was the one task I'd set myself for today. Arrggh!

It is now entirely your fault that I am infusing Star Anise in Vodka. I adore anise, but hadn't considered infusing, until I googled how to make extract.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Asda delivery day today so using up whats left
B : ff greek with cream, nothing else
L : 2 slices of my cauliflower cheese savoury thingy from the freezer, reheated in a fryingpan, a finger of pate, a tiny piece of brie, and some Stilton. One chilli.
D: (after delivery) 2 lamb chops, sprouts and carrots with swede chunks finished off in frying pan in lamb fat.
Small piece lemon cake with cream and blueberries
2 glasses of wine... trying to resist a third

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello MrsT, I'm glad you mentioned cinnamon. I now know what to do to perk up my often bitter morning berries. I like the idea of slc bread too.
Excuse my ignorance but what is slc bread ?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices slc bread toasted with cheese & tomato. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - omlette with mushrooms & onions and a few chips. 2 squares of tesco's 85% dark - was ok.

Strange day today - first half of day very lazy after a very busy day off work yesterday catching up with everything then spent the 2nd half of day chasing my tail with things I should have done earlier but did get done so finished all good. I won't be up too much longer as I have another 6am start in the morning so will be up at 4.30am ...

Blood sugars 5s all day even after the few chips so happy - not sure if it's because I have lost weight recently (pot belly smaller), got a more active job or just because may be anything really ... but I will take it - makes a pleasant change