What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a big breakfast of ham and eggs before starting the first day at my new job. Mistake really as I felt nervous so the food made me feel a bit sick.
Chucked a couple of Babybell in my bag in case I got hungry later and ate them mid afternoon.
Dinner was sous vide brisket ( coated in Bovril first and with bay leaves and peppercorns chucked in the bag too) it’s been incubating 2 days! It was pretty good, all the family declared it a winner.
As I’m following carnivore month I didn’t have any veg but took a leaf out of @Brunneria ‘s book and crumbled a bit of blue cheese on top of the meat, then poured the juices over so it was like a stew/soup.

Edit to add- I also took in my own coffee and cafetière, even at the risk of being labelled a terrific snob on my first day, but some things are just too important.
Winner for keeping on top of things despite a first day at a new job - a big change and stressor well done you. How many days a week are you doing?

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B ff greek with seeds and raspberries
L chaffles in my new waffle maker/ sandwich toaster. Took a bit of experimentation to get quantity and timing right. 3 sqs 70%
D: turkey curry. Boys had rice. One glass red wine

Have made a lentil and veg soup for tomorrow. Haven't tried lentils since diagnosis. Will test. Only a few in 3-4 portions so will be interested. What do you think they will do to me?
Hard to tell it’s so individual I’m ok with a few lentils but can’t do kidney or chick peas! Wierd how individual responses are to different carbs crossing fingers for you

PiersAaron

I ate the following today, 01062021:

Breakfast: McD large coffee with three creamers and two egg sausage McMuffins ( with English muffins discarded). I could not pass up the 2 egg sausage McMuffins for $5 deal. Discarding English muffins saved about 30g of carbs for each english muffin.

Lunch: two cups of decaf with almond milk. 3oz. of Aldi summer sausage with about 2oz. if pepperjack cheese and mustard.

Dinner: one quart of beef broth with beef meat cubes and turnips.

Desert: five pieces (1"x 1" x 3/4") of homemade peanut butter fudge.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Had a big breakfast of ham and eggs before starting the first day at my new job. Mistake really as I felt nervous so the food made me feel a bit sick.
Chucked a couple of Babybell in my bag in case I got hungry later and ate them mid afternoon.
Dinner was sous vide brisket ( coated in Bovril first and with bay leaves and peppercorns chucked in the bag too) it’s been incubating 2 days! It was pretty good, all the family declared it a winner.
As I’m following carnivore month I didn’t have any veg but took a leaf out of @Brunneria ‘s book and crumbled a bit of blue cheese on top of the meat, then poured the juices over so it was like a stew/soup.

Edit to add- I also took in my own coffee and cafetière, even at the risk of being labelled a terrific snob on my first day, but some things are just too important.
I get it always took my own coffee when I use to work as cannot drink instant coffee so I'm pretty much a coffee snub and use a coffee plunger to brew my coffee .... and if I go to someone's house if they don't have "real coffee" I always ask for black tea

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get it always took my own coffee when I use to work as cannot drink instant coffee so I'm pretty much a coffee snub and use a coffee plunger to brew my coffee .... and if I go to someone's house if they don't have "real coffee" I always ask for black tea

I do the same in someone’s house. It’s embarrassing to ask what sort of coffee they have though isn’t it? I usually ask for tea. I can drink cheap tea quite easily but not instant coffee.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening. Odd day’s readings until at least 15.00 so it was a Keep a-hold of Nurse for fear of finding something worse day. B:Tea: Mid morning: CWCSFCS: Lunch:40 mins EX bike, shower, cool down, CWCo_O : MM 17.30: Mackerel and avocado salad (holding Nurse very tight)

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful walk into the forest with a deep hoar frost making everything very white - I feel though I’ve never warmed up today since back, despite heating being on.
Missed breakfast as out walking
Lunch a delayed breakfast of one slice of bacon,egg and lc toast
Dinner spiced pork ribs with salads and glass of warming red wine followed by DGF pecan and butterscotch blondie with yoghurt
Just had decaff coffee with a couple of squares of100% montezumas with orange oil.
Snow predicted yet again here tomorrow so will see how my exercise plans go!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DJC3 and @annabell1 , I’m a coffee snob too! Every time I write black coffee in my daily food diary, it’s one from my Nespresso machine, no instant passes my lips!

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a Nespresso (!) black coffee
Late morning: Nespresso (!) black coffee and DGF cake
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: Nespresso (!) black coffee and coconut bites
Dinner: carbonara made with Lizzi LC pasta with a sprinkling of grated cheddar followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
9:30 breakfast of small ff greek with seeds and raspberries
2 hour walk which was sunny, cold and ended walking though snow which was a surprise as we'd had none yesterday but had walked over a hill, and there it all was!
Preprandial bg was 7.3 which was disappointing.
L: hm veg and lentil soup with some turkey added
2 hours later 7.1, so at least no great spike from lentils but wondering why so high all day
6:30 3 chicken drumsticks with salad, coleslaw and 2/3 of an avocado (the only edible bit out of a net of 7 bought before Xmas)
A bit of cream with blueberries, 3 chopped pecans and a sq of 100% choc
bg is now 7.4.
I don't understand at all

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast was the usual black coffee.
Lunch 4 small lamb chops done in airfryer
Dinner- Paul’s choice as it’s his birthday - liver onions and bacon. Glass of red with it even though I’m supposed to be doing dry January, as he didn’t want to drink alone on his birthday
@MrsA2 sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it, just carry on doing what you’re doing. You’re doing everything right so it will come good again. Stress is a major factor in raising BGs , perhaps you have some underlying anxiety or you might be coming down with something. It can be so frustrating I know - happens to me a lot.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Thanks. GP believes I'm a long covid case. I was ill from the beginning of March and there was no way you could get tested then unless you were in hospital(and I was not going there if it was avoidable). It lasted about 23/24 weeks and I had every symptom going and then some! It's the GP that maintains it's not worth testing now as he doubts whether antibodies will show up now as the belief is they are around for about 6 months. I'm pretty sure this is a bug as it's different to what went before.

Maglil55,
I do sympathise. Be kind to yourself and I hope over time that the symptoms ease. I feel that I was fortunate as I did get better from Covid, although when ill I had no confidence that I would be ok. My daughter is 14 and has had ongoing difficulties that could be covid related buf it is difficult to be at all certain, I'm sure she'll be ok but is having tests. I've spoken to medics that referred to inaccuracy of antibody tests, I also understand that it is unavailable on the nhs to most people. I remember well the lack of testing back then.
I hope that good food, some fresh air/exrcise (if possible) and time help you to recover.

Reactions: maglil55

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
b: fried egg anc avocado
l: pepper stuffed with tuna, onion, garlic and anchovies, topped with cheese
d: white bean pssta with savoy cabbage, pancetta, thyme, garlic, pine nuts, mozzarella anc parmesan (low carb version of an old Jamie Oliver recipe).
Had a couch to 5k session with mh pal who's been illl wigh a heavy cold. we did an easier session. Ran/walked at 6.30 bordering on freezing. Felt fab being out in the cold. Enjoyed warching new Series of Death in Paradise. So sunny and such cheerful music.

Gosh, I have really overdosed on garlic today!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - small cheese & tomato omlette. Mug of earl grey. 2 squares lindtt 90% with peanut butter on top

Dinner - gammon steak with a fried egg & grated cheese on top. sundried tomatoes done in garlic on the side. A small naughty Thorntons mint chocolate/small biscuit (8 carbs) - leftover from xmas. Washed down with mug of earl grey tea

I also drink a lot of water every day.

It is very late here now and has snowed for hours - it was forecast right enough but I don't think there was to be so much - oh well at least it will have covered over the icy pavements/roads so tomorrow/later on today it will be a lot better for walking in - I do like a walk in fresh crunchy snow AND I got a new pair of boots today so like a big kid I can't wait to try them out although I would rather have some better weather and no snow!

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
I do the same in someone’s house. It’s embarrassing to ask what sort of coffee they have though isn’t it? I usually ask for tea. I can drink cheap tea quite easily but not instant coffee.
I know right

Reactions: DJC3

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't posted for a few days ... so Monday 4th started with FBG of 7.4 so not too bad breakfast was Grilled bacon tinned tomatoes 2 small wholemeal toast with butter .( 35 carbs )
2 hrs later bg was 6.7 so pleased with that .
Lunch ( in work so choices more difficult unless I take my own food which I did today ) was chicken and salad sandwich with fresh garlic ( keeps everyone away from me lol . One chocolate ( 43 carbs )
Evening meal h/m chicken curry and a small amount of twice cooked pasta ( 25 carbs )
Total carbs around the 100 mark .
Tues was my birthday so didn't bother carb counting though didn't go too mad. ( not sure why my FBG 9.1 after Monday's meals )
Wednesday the 6th FBG was 8.6 :
Breakfast was 1 fried egg in olive oil 3 small rashers of bacon 2 small wholemeal toast and coffee (40 carbs )
Lunch another sandwich cheese salad and fresh garlic this time 30 carbs )
Evening meal large ham salad with a few small potatoes ( 25 carbs or there about )
total carbs around the 95 / 100 .
Thursday 7th FBG 7.6
Breakfast ( was slice of toast at 7 am ...on an early shift so our proper breakfast isn't until 11 am is and I need food before then )
The 2 boiled eggs more toast ( I know I love bread )
Quick snack after work of a few slices of meat and cheese, before braving the covid breeding ground of the shops )
Evening meal slice of gammon and a couple of eggs ...spoiled it somewhat by finishing off half a dozen chocolates .
Rough estimate of 150 gr of carbs .

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
! needed to try some h/m “bread”, clear up things and after 3 OMADs in a row + more exercise felt I was over taxing my system - 4 would defo have been too much. B:Tea: Dockey: CWCSHCS: Lunch: Bit of L/O cauli cheese; gammon sandwich : Eve: Toast and dripping (from the beef we had Sunday) “Bread” made Sunday, still soft and would be ok in similar circumstances - added bulk/stodge. Acceptable rather than anything else - not quite bread IMHO more cakey (eggs) but ok. Roughly £2 per loaf recipe below the flour https://lowcarbfood.co/shop/low-carb-flour/

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2A988123-2B63-4044-85DB-619660477EAE.jpeg
This weeks home made loaf rose amazingly well - I started a new packet of wheat gluten powder and it seems to be better than last weeks which used the last of an older packet which produced a flatter loaf. Also managed 45 slices of bread in total to pack up and freeze - so looks like will last longer than usual week and less than 1g of carb per slice (30 for whole loaf)
Lunch was a late breakfast again of one each of slice of bacon,egg and lc toast and nibble of new loaf with butter to test it - as smell is so good it’s hard to resist! New loaf amazing. Kept some out of freezer to have with boiled eggs tomorrow.
Mid pm DGF millionaires shortbread - last of pack bought in November and enjoyed but will stick in future to the DGF cakes that i eat as puddings microwaved from freezer as try to avoid snacks usually but this one needed eating as had defrosted it!
Dinner salmon in lemon butter with a few green beans and three small new potato chips ( about one small new potato)with glass dry white wine followed by DGF lemon and blueberry cake and yoghurt.
Still no news on vaccination for 90 year old mum in yorks but heard of a fit 50 year old who was offered it in his rural area as they had spares! Seems to be a bit of a postcode lottery.....

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful looking bread @shelley262 I hope your mum gets her vaccination soon.
@ianpspurs ‘bread and dripping’ I bet that was a trip down memory lane. I used to hate it but reckon I’d probably like it now if it had enough salt on.
Today I was at work again - lots of coffee. So glad I started off by taking my own in - they have industrial size tins of the cheapest brand I’ve never even heard of. Makes me shudder to look at.
Lunch was a bit of leftover brisket with Dijon mustard to dip and a couple of Baby bells.
Dinner was an airfried chicken leg. Can’t believe I’m eating, let alone enjoying chicken skin.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So far today My food has been:
8amish one coffee with cream.
1pm A glass of sparkling pinot noir and a chocolate eclair.
Just about to have another coffee with cream.
Sounds awesome!

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
New loaf amazing
shelley262 , your loaf looks amazing! Well done. Looking at your loaf makes me realise that I need to do some baking. I'm bored with cooking atm, baking is so much more enjoyable.
I was put off by the disasterous pizza I made a few months ago. It was using a Giancarlo recipe which on the whole have been really inspiring and successful.

B: fried egg, avocado* and chilli flake,
L: Celery, radishes, salami and taleggio cheese followed by blackberries and clotted cream
D: A treat from M&S dine in promo, chicken with parma ham, cheese etc and cauli cheese - amazingly very low carb. Had to pick a dessert as part of the deal so proffiteroles (for the children).

Drinks: Rooibos tea, Masala Chai with sweetener, Littles flavoured coffee with a bit of frothy milk and now a coke zero and rum.

A whisky later to celebrate MIL's 91st birthday
ianpspurs sounds fab! Your ref to beef dripping took me straight back to my Nan's kitchen and I now fancy a Whisky too. May have a nip of Laphroaig later (I love the aroma as much as the peaty taste).

*I bought a net bag of avocados from Morrisons which was a false economy - most went straight into the food waste bin.