What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome @G0ldengirl68 and @Max68 it’s a big learning curve but once you adapt you’ll find the new blood glucose friendly foods you eat are the most enjoyable. Re subs I eat a lot of green veg, cauliflower cheese, and sometimes use celeriac as a potato sub -celeriac can be used in any potatoe recipe eg chips,roasties dauphinois mash etc but tend to use less now simply because I got a bit bored it’s very similar in taste to spuds and a bit bland.three years and a half into keto eating I love more variety and can’t understand how for much of my previous life I ate so much bland beige stodge! Re mushrooms my fave is to stuff them with seasoned full fat soft cheese then sprinkle with vintage cheddar and oven bake on tray at 180 for about 20 mins.wonderful with steak we have them planned for Valentine’s Day.
Unplanned OMAD we planned a 10k walk for this afternoon but got really busy this am so no time for lunch as didn’t want to get home in the dark!
Omad salmon,cauliflower cheese and asparagus with glass of dry white wine pudding DGF lemon and blueberry cake with full fat yoghurt .
Ps I drink lots of hot black coffee and black tea both weak really enjoy and don’t affect bgs only issue @G0ldengirl68 is if you add milk as fairly high carb.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @G0ldengirl68 and @Max68 it’s good to have you here. No need for self recriminations you are here now and that’s what matters.
Max I would go along with the mushroom suggestion, great accompaniment to any meal in my mind. I assume cauliflower would aggravate your IBS? You can make good mash with it otherwise. Celeriac is good for mash, roast, chips etc Do you actually miss veg though? Some people simply don’t eat them. Bacon can accompany most things, wrapped around a chicken breast or cod loin and with all sorts of eggs.
G0ldengirl avocado is a lifesaver for me too, great accompaniment to all sorts of meals. You’ve just got your meter now so you’ll soon see which foods affect you, that’s a great start.

Today I had the usual black coffee this morning
Lunch was 2 tuna melt muffins with a leafy salad and h/m mayo. Followed by DGF blondie
Dinner same as yesterday because I enjoyed it so much and I’d bought a whole cod fillet from local fishmonger - it’s massive! So cod fried in butter with broccoli and 1/2 gallon of lemon butter poured over both. Glass or 2 of dry white wine.

Max68

@shelley262 DJC3

Thank you so much, the mushrooms with cheese sound fabulous I'll give that a go, never thought of it. I'll try the celeriac as well. I tried the cauliflower rice recently but couldn't get on with that and tried ordering the cauliflower mash but the shop never seemed to have any in. I'm eating the rest of the rubbish from my last shop and will re-start in earnest on my next shop. Tonight I will have quarter pounder burgers, two eggs and a handful of chips before I throw out the rest of the potatoes., Might burn them in a bucket to give them a Vikings funeral!

I don't mind some veg such as broccoli and carrots but I believe carrots are a no no? Seemed to be doing okay with grapes last year but probably started eating too many.

My shopping list for Sunday so far is - Mentos Chewing Gum, Pork Sausages, British Extra Thick Double Fresh Cream, Strawberries, British Medium Cheddar Cheese, Lamb Chops, Baby Button Mushrooms , Beef Mince 12% Fat , Smokehouse Salmon, Mediterranean Salad Bowl, Spinach, Watercress & Rocket Salad, Half Cucumber Portion, Chicken Breast Fillets, 30 Day Matured Picanha Steak, Mixed Pepper Stir Fry , Portabello Mushrooms, Chicken Drumsticks.

Can somebody possibly advise on which salad dressings and stir fry sauces are best? Also are beansprouts ok? And re home made kebabs with the lamb and chicken are pitta breads acceptable or a particular wrap? Is there also an sub option for bread re bacon sandwich? So many questions so my apologies. Oops, and crackers re to go with cheese. I always have the high baked water biscuits but am wondering about them now?

PS - I'll get that bad score down. Done it before and will do it again!

Last edited:

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi & Welcome @Max68 & @GOldengirl68 - I have a lot of side salads with my main meal and usually add a large dollop of coleslaw. As side veg I have broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower cheese & a little carrot. You can buy the large portobello mushrooms in the supermarkets stuffed with garlic & cheese already prepared and all you need to do is put them in the oven - I have seen them in Aldi, Morrisons & Tescos.

Brunch - sliced of cheddar cheese sandwiched in between 2 slices of corned beef. 1 DGF Notella Blondie with extra thick double cream on the side and a little double cream poured over the top. Washed down with a mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - Large mushroom & onion omlette. 2 Squares Lindtt 90% dark chocolate with a mug of earl grey tea

@maglil55 Last DGF was only at Peterborough for just over 1 day this time so not bad ...but DPD - well my SLC order was supposed to be delivered yesterday but they texted to say delayed because of weather so fair enough but I have had other deliveries but today just a minute after they were due to deliver I got a text saying they had missed me and it wouldn't be delivered until Monday now - I was so annoyed as I had stayed in for the delivery and the cheek of them lying, so I sent an e-mail and awaiting a reply and possibly mouldygate again - very angry as I paid around £7 on Wednesday to have this delivered next day and as I say I have had other deliveries ... count to 10 ...

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 DJC3

Thank you so much, the mushrooms with cheese sound fabulous I'll give that a go, never thought of it. I'll try the celeriac as well. I tried the cauliflower rice recently but couldn't get on with that and tried ordering the cauliflower mash but the shop never seemed to have any in. I'm eating the rest of the rubbish from my last shop and will re-start in earnest on my next shop. Tonight I will have quarter pounder burgers, two eggs and a handful of chips before I throw out the rest of the potatoes., Might burn them in a bucket to give them a Vikings funeral!

I don't mind some veg such as broccoli and carrots but I believe carrots are a no no? Seemed to be doing okay with grapes last year but probably started eating too many.

My shopping list for Sunday so far is - Mentos Chewing Gum, Pork Sausages, British Extra Thick Double Fresh Cream, Strawberries, British Medium Cheddar Cheese, Lamb Chops, Baby Button Mushrooms , Beef Mince 12% Fat , Smokehouse Salmon, Mediterranean Salad Bowl, Spinach, Watercress & Rocket Salad, Half Cucumber Portion, Chicken Breast Fillets, 30 Day Matured Picanha Steak, Mixed Pepper Stir Fry , Portabello Mushrooms, Chicken Drumsticks.

Can somebody possibly advise on which salad dressings and stir fry sauces are best? Also are beansprouts ok? And re home made kebabs with the lamb and chicken are pitta breads acceptable or a particular wrap? Is there also an sub option for bread re bacon sandwich? So many questions so my apologies. Oops, and crackers re to go with cheese. I always have the high baked water biscuits but am wondering about them now?

Just a few quick responses
Salad dressing made with one third apple cider vinegar or lemon juice and two thirds of extra virgin olive oil season with salt and pepper you can mix in an old clean glass jar with lid and will keep for one week or more in fridge to add as you go along
Beansprouts don’t raise my bgs for saucei use kikkoman gluten free soy sauce watered down and seasoned with 5 spice and chilli as we love plus garlic and onion granules.
Biscuits and bread are out butthere are low carb options you can buy or make
Step away from tropical fruit like the grapes you mentioned! I’m sure others will chip in with ideas

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi newcomers
It does take a while to adjust and learn that you don't need carb replacements. Mostly now I'm quite happy just missing out the carbs and filling up in protein and veg, bit it does take a time to get used to the idea

Today
Skipped breakfast
L: a small avocado, 2 cherry tomatoes, 2 slices long pickles, some pate and a piece of homemade low carb cheesy soda bread
4 -5 a small handful almonds as hubby is cooking tonight and think it will be late
7:30 (which is very late for me) butter chicken curry. Hubby and boy has rice with theirs, I just had the chicken and sauce.
2 spoonfuls extra thick greek plain yohurt

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 DJC3

I like these for a bacon butties.
https://seriouslylowcarb.com/ the rolls are a good size, quite expensive though and others here have had delivery issues - not with the company itself, seems to be an issue with some of the Royal Mail sorting offices. I’ve always received them very quickly.
Celery is good with cheese if you want a crunch. DietDoctor.com have a few recipes for crackers if you fancy trying your hand - their recipes are never complicated.
Your shopping list looks great, check the carb content of the sausages though, some are packed with cereal fillers.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and a Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: chicken drumsticks, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Onlinecaroline

Evening all!

I’ve only been posting on this particular part of the forum for a month and this thread is full of such positive, helpful people I’d be lost without it. I’ve been following Keto since the beginning of January, and from being an absolute potato and bread fiend, I find it’s getting easier every day.

Brunch: 2 Heck Sausages, 2 eggs, handful of mushrooms, 2 slices of halloumi.

Snack: Coffee with no sugar almond milk and half a DGF salted caramel blondie.

Dinner: chicken wrapped in Parma ham stuffed with Boursin (again) with cauliflower cheese and Davy cabbage.

Snack - Cuppa and either a Fibre One protein bar or 2 squares of a Lindt. The chocolate will take me slightly over the 20g of carb but it’s almost all from the veggies.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

PerfectStorm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had half a sausage and half an Aldi nut bar for breakfast/elevenses
Lunch - some carrot and coriander soup (7g carbs), peri peri chicken, cucumber sticks with cheese and chive dip

Dinner - Keto fish pie when cavalo nero and broccoli

couple of gin and slimline tonic and some pork scratchings

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

Max68

Well nothing today as yet bar coffee although on my walk I nearly picked up a scotch egg but decided not to before I check with you good people on how bad the coating is on things like scotch eggs and KFC? Have added Halloumi fries to my shopping list along with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil to try that wonderful suggestion above. Re Celeriac I searched click and collect and all there was was this large looking turnip type thing. Would someone if they have time at some stage possibly be able to message me on how you make mash, chips, roasts with what looks like a space hopper?! Rather daunting!! Going to have a kebab ordered tonight, shish, chicken with a touch of doner but will avoid the garlic mayo!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Max68 celeriac does look daunting but it’s just a root, like potato or parsnip so peel and cook it like them. If you don’t fancy that you can get frozen diced celeriac
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/cooks'-ingredients-diced-celeriac/455528-673415-673416
Which might be easier.
As for KFC I’d only have it if I took off all the coating which is the tasty, but high carb bit.
Back on topic, today my FBG was v high and got higher so had breakfast, unusual for me.
10:00 2 scrambled eggs 1 slice smoked cheese and buttered Dr Almond toast.
13:00 1 DGF blondie and lots of tea.
18:00 tried to recreate a Nando’s: air fried chicken brushed with olive oil and peri peri salt. Salad, avocado and Halloumi chips, a sachet of medium peri peri sauce we bought back from London Nando’s a couple of weeks ago. It was nice but not the same.
2 glasses red wine and some cheese and biscuits ( microwave flaxseed cracker)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - 2 naked cheeseburgers with bacon on top. Afters of gooey mess of peanut butter and 2 squares lindt 90% on top melted in microwave with double cream drizzled over the top. 1 mug of Cadburys Highlights milk chocolate topped up with double cream

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Had half a sausage and half an Aldi nut bar for breakfast/elevenses
Lunch - some carrot and coriander soup (7g carbs), peri peri chicken, cucumber sticks with cheese and chive dip

Dinner - Keto fish pie when cavalo nero and broccoli

couple of gin and slimline tonic and some pork scratchings
Did you get the Aldi nut bar recently? - I thought they had stopped doing them - I tried to get them about a month ago and couldn't they said they thought they had stopped doing them

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Max68 I’ve had KFC once since diagnosis - about 8 months or so in, I think. Just 2 pieces of chicken. It didn’t have a great impact on BG (about a 1.5 mmol rise from memory) but it really didn’t taste as good as I remembered (used to be addicted to it).

Two meals again today. Lunch was a poussin with a peri peri dry rub. Dinner was carnivore comfort food - pigs in blankets made with Waitrose 1 chipolatas (1g carb per 3 chipolatas) and streaky bacon. Dessert of cream cheese with a bit of double cream.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well nothing today as yet bar coffee although on my walk I nearly picked up a scotch egg but decided not to before I check with you good people on how bad the coating is on things like scotch eggs and KFC? Have added Halloumi fries to my shopping list along with apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil to try that wonderful suggestion above. Re Celeriac I searched click and collect and all there was was this large looking turnip type thing. Would someone if they have time at some stage possibly be able to message me on how you make mash, chips, roasts with what looks like a space hopper?! Rather daunting!! Going to have a kebab ordered tonight, shish, chicken with a touch of doner but will avoid the garlic mayo!
You don't need to avoid mayo. I'm an avid Helmans user for all kinds of sauces.
Scotch egg I'm afraid it's not just the coating. The other question is what is in the sausage meat surrounding it? You can actually make them with a good gluten free sausage meat and, I make my own crispy coating which is equal amounts of ground almonds, golden milled flax, and parmesan (I use about 1/3 cup measure of each.) To that add about 4 tablespoons of sesame seeds (that gives it the crisp). That's the base mix. Put it in a container with a lid and give it a good shake. I keep it in the fridge. To this base you can add all sorts of flavours. To coat fish you can add lemon zest, parsley for example. Parsley goes in most of my dishes but add it when you are going to use it. Any chopped herbs to be honest. Chicken strips I like to add a smoked paprika. This solves your Chicken issue too. All you do with whatever you are coating is dip in beaten egg first (you pat dry fish & chicken first before dipping in egg) then coat in the crumb. You can fry in a pan, deep fry but personally I air fry. Tastes so much better than KFC.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Treat celeriac the same way as potatoes once peeled cut into appropriate shape if roasties good idea to par boil before roasting. Just be careful how you peel it I tend to chop in half or quarters before peeling to make it more doable. You need to take care.
I prepare into shapes that I want eg chip shapes or roasties and then spread out on a lined tray and open freeze.when frozen you can pop into a bag and then just get a few out a time like you would with frozen chips or roasties the do cook from frozen or par boil and cook just as you would oven chips or roasties. You’ll need to add olive oil to roasting tin or toss the pieces in some oil before cooking.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Back to 18/6 again so two meals
Lots of weak black coffee through the day.
Late lunch two egg omelette with cheese, bacon and mushroom
Dinner hm lc chicken curry with cucumber raita, Corriander and small spoon of chutney with gin and soda water followed by DGF cake and extra thick cream.