What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Max68

I know you said something about not getting along with cauliflower rice but have you tried it as fried rice? I keep the individual bags of cauliflower rice in the freezer if I can't be bothered making/bagging it (it's another of my Iceland favourites). It's simple to make. Chop up some spring onion and soften in a mix of butter/olive oil in a wok. Add frozen peas and cauliflower rice. Mix and I usual put a lid on for a few minutes. Failing that keep stirring! When the "rice" has just the right amount of "bite" still in it add Tamari Soy (you get it in supermarkets and it's gluten free), mix then stir through a beaten egg.
You may have seen me mention Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower "thingy"? That's a straight to oven job. 25 mins and it comes out a bit like a veggie souffle. Links below.

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland-4-cauliflower-rice-steam-bags-600g/80220.html

https://www.iceland.co.uk/p/iceland...15.html#q=broccoli&originalQuery=Broc&start=1

Thank you so much. Fried rice with Cauliflower rice sounds like a great idea.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all.

OMAD today - air fried leg of lamb, which I’d seasoned with garlic and rosemary salt. Plenty leftover for lunches too.

@Max68 pretty sure that @Brunneria has a low carb version of Jambalaya.
......and a crawfish pie and fillet gumbo. Although it is one of these songs where I used to think they were singing "cold fish pie and Billy gumbo" which sounds less appealing!

Reactions: DJC3

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Saturday Bed 6.8 FBG 6. @DJC3 - Just got back from Lidl. I got another 12 of these Active Vanilla lollies. Anyone would think I like them
@Max68 - use the mayo to make other things. I use Helmanns because it's a good thick mayo. For example, chop up capers and mix through to make a tartare sauce for fish. Or add a dash of lemon juice and lemon rind to make a lemon mayo (you can get frozen lemon rind and bottles of lemon juice). Marie Rose which I use with prawns and cold poached salmon - mayo, squeeze of tomato puree, paprika (according to taste) and if you want to make it special, a dash of double cream and a dash of brandy! Mix well.
You can even make garlic aoili with mayo or fage Greek yoghurt. About 280g of mayo or Fage 0% , 1 garlic clove (I have a jar of pickled garlic in my fridge or use lazy garlic), teaspoon of lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper - chuck it all in a bowl and whizz together with one of these hand blenders (takes about 30 seconds on pulse). Alternative is get the garlic chopped really fine and mix well. The mix keeps in the fridge in a sealed container for about 5 days. This goes well with all sorts of meats and veggies.
Edited to add yesterday's food!
B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing
D. Eating our way through the freezer! Portobello mushroom, another of Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower things, 2 small pork escalopes and a fried egg. Of course I had another active vanilla lolly.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All
Have missed several days again so will start from Friday.
All breakfasts were one slice HiLo toast, butter, copious tea.
Lunch Friday was egg mayo and chopped tomato, slice of ham.
Supper was salmon fillet with a little Teriyake sauce baked in the oven with broccoli.
Yesterday for lunch had the last Lizza toastie with egg mayo and a Marmite Cheddar bite size, my new addiction, 5 in a little yellow net bag, bit expensive but its something new! Supper last night was sirloin steak panfried with chopped mushrooms, have to say not as tasty as my beloved lamb chops but Mr PM prefers. Half a bottle of red.
Had brunch cooked by Mr PM of bacon sausage and egg about two hours after tea and toast and will now go through to supper which is h/m chicken curry with cauli rice.
@DJC3 after seeing your pic of your Dr Almond sandwiches last week I have ordered three of the walnut bread mixes since I dont seem to be able to get any deliveries from Lizza which is odd since both companies are in Germany.
Welcome to @G0ldengirl68 and @Max68 sounds like you are both off to a great start.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Max68 pretty sure that @Brunneria has a low carb version of Jambalaya.

yup.
Jambalaya is easy to make LC - just leave out the carbs! I use good quality lc sausages and if Mr B wants to pollute my jambalaya with rice he can cook it himself (2 min micro bag of rice) and add it in. Lol.

the thing that makes a jambalaya a proper jamb is the spices, not the stodge. :D

Yesterday:
B: LC sausage and scram eggs
Divine takeaway curry, of lamb dhansak, saag paneer and chicken shashlik, with onion bhaji.

today:
B: Keto porridge
L: the rest of the takeaway curry
Am still so stuffed that I don’t think I will need anything else, which is a pity, because I defrosted the burglar blobs, the ones with babybel embedded in them... ah well, probably tomorrow...

(This post should win some kind of award for having the most typos, and the most edits EVER!)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria I love burglar blobs with embedded Babybell. A great invention.
@PenguinMum I do hope the Dr Almond bread lives up to expectations. It is very low carb, so you can have more than your usual 1 slice if you fancy.
Today I had brunch: bacon butty in SLC roll with butter.
Dinner:sous vide topside with the juices strained as gravy ( not shown but delicious) plus buttered cabbage, broccoli, and a slice of fried Halloumi. A bit of cheese with another glass of red afterwards.
IMG_1613330857.440180.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much. Fried rice with Cauliflower rice sounds like a great idea.
I agree I always whack in microwave for a min and then stirfry in olive oil add spices and or veg to taste. Frying makes all the difference

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: ff greek with seeds and blueberries
A very icy snowy hilly walk
L: 50g cheese crisps with half avocado, hummus and coleslaw. 1 slice lc chocolate chilli cake with cream
D: hubby cooked, it being valentines. Shakshuka ( courgettes and peppers in tomatoes with chilli and paprika and chorizo, with eggs) . Cheesy garlic bread (low carb of course) . Chocolate chilli cake with berries and greek yoghurt
2 glasses red.
Absolutely stuffed

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hiya all - hope you guys have had a happy Valentine’s Day
I did another 18/6 day and kept going with lots of well diluted black coffee- just put in dash of black coffee and lots of hot water.
Lunch Waitrose ready prepared seafood shell with one slice of Hm lc bread (the starter from my Waitrose valentines meal deal and main lamb cutlets below and ‘pudding’ as part of deal range of cheese stored for later consumption!)
Dinner shared a bottle of cremant with OH and ate lamb cutlets, roast med veg and mushroom sauce followed by the DGF valentines brownie - yummy - with spoon extra thick cream.
Gave in today to ordering from SLC - reading about others SLC rolls, I have now ordered some and provided that they arrive soon will be brilliant when go up to mums next weekend for her next eye operation.
Excitement tomorrow as I’ve got my 65 year old CV19 vax and 67 year old OH his on Tuesday. Big medical week ahead with in addition to my vax hbaca1 and cholesterol etc annual bloods on Friday.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - chia pudding made with greek yoghurt, flaxseed, cinammon and raspberries & blueberries on top with a little benecol raspberry yoghurt drizzled over the top

Dinner - sirloin steak with mushrooms & onions and a large side salad. lc trifle. Glass or 2 of red wine

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 FBG 6.8. The piggy search was successful. Pics of new resident Laffy on the alternative thread. One happy grandson. Between guinea hunt and shopping with son I was out for 4 hours so got very little else done. Will need to find my YakTraks for my boots though - it's getting very slippy underfoot now as the snow compacts.
B. TAG then straight out.
L. Much later 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
D. My usual campari and soda. Eating the freezer continues! Son says I have a very posh freezer. Hubby had a fillet steak, I had a rack of lamb with another of Iceland's broccoli/cauliflower things, asparagus, mint sauce. Yes, another Active vanilla lolly. I tried to resist and failed. Well there's so many in my freezer now.

@shelley262 - I'm scheduled for my jab on Thursday morning. I'm pretty sure it will be the Pfizer one. Just hope I'm like Hubby and have no reaction at all to it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and Fibre One caramel protein bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and small amount of cubed cheese with sweet drop peppers.
Dinner, roast (cooked by hubby in recognition of Valentines Day :happy:), chicken, one tiny roast potato, a tiny Yorkshire pudding, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Reactions: maglil55

Onlinecaroline

Lunch - 3 eggs mashed with butter and a tea.

Dinner - the most glorious Tomahawk steak with mushrooms, creamed spinach, 4 little keto onion rings and h/m pepper and bernaise sauces.

2 squares of Lindt Mint and a cup of tea.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi all. Had my vax today and was given the Pfizer version, OH was due his tomorrow morning at same centre but came along with me to ask and luckily was offered his at same time - it’s about 5 miles drive away so good dont need to go for second time in the morning.
Another 18/6 day today - I’m still working towards my hbaca1 on Friday !
Late lunch smoked trout with squirt of lemon juice on one slice of LC HM bread followed by two hm lc choc truffles
Dinner pork wrapped in bacon served with a salad and glass of soda water with dash of bitters then pudding of DGF brownie with small bit of cream.
Also lots of very weak black coffee throughout day.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve been really hungry today so thought I’d go with the flow and have breakfast for a change: scrambled eggs on toasted DrAlmond black bread.
Lunch was a lump of Camembert - I had to eat it as it was starting to stink the house out and that was the easiest way to deal with it.
Dinner a freezer find - spinach and minced beef curry with sliced avocado. Still hungry so a DGF blondie. Still hungry so a handful of 100% buttons. I can’t still be hungry but I still want something. Will have to drink a lot of tea I think.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Hugs for the hungry day @DJC3

Two meals here. Lunch was 2 air fried chicken thighs which had been brined overnight in a mix of double cream, paprika, Himalayan salt and lemon pepper. Delicious. Could take more paprika and lemon pepper next time. 3 more batches in the freezer.

Dinner was pigs in blankets made with Waitrose free range chipolatas (1g carb/3 chipolatas) and streaky bacon.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and 1/2 packet of coconut bites.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner: ribs and roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yay! Snow and ice has gone :) but my only outside foray was to the post box with a friends birthday card
L: half a commercial scotch egg with salad and avocado. Chooclate chilli cake with berry chia cream
D: celeriac chips, sprouts and courgettes with some tuna melts. 3, yes 3, sqs 90% lindt

Max68

No breakfast or lunch today bar coffee. Dinner had what a call a cruise ship breakfast. Bacon, sausage, fried egg and scrambled egg and fried some mushrooms in garlic. Drink my usual zero with strawberries and extra thick cream as dessert.

Onlinecaroline

Evening everyone.

Lunch - was in school hub today, always find packed lunches a little more difficult. 50g of Boursin on 5 slices of chorizo, a Babybel, half a pack of tikka chicken which I wouldn’t buy again and a sf jelly.

Dinner - breakfast for dinner. Scrambled egg, spoonful of mushrooms, 2 heck sausages, 50g of halloumi and randomly some chicken wings we had left over.

3! squares of Lindt Mint but that is it all gone. Back to the Green and Blacks next week.