What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, but hugs to you for being stuck in the sticky sixes again. Why is it always so hard to leave?
Interesting question BUT where do you and @PenguinMum end up come HbA1c time? Like 2 pieces of toast landing buttered side up. Sheesh, you two;)

Reactions: DJC3

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, but hugs to you for being stuck in the sticky sixes again. Why is it always so hard to leave?
You’ll get there one day - took me at about two years to see my FBS come down although I’m not sure how much was due to the statins I took increasing my levels!

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so not so good a day today was definitely feeling under the weather this morning Hubby is feeling off too. Very fatigued and just a general feeling of meh! Don't know if it could be a reaction to the vaccine. FBG was 6.00 this morning.

Reactions: Pasha

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know if it could be a reaction to the vaccine.

Must be the vaccine

for today I am savouring this

And savour you must... its small victories like these that make the whole control possible and before you know it, this will be the new normal. Congratulations. :)

I'm still dealing with the fallout

What fallout Ian.. if you don't mind me asking and ofcourse are happy to share... might help me avoid those as you know fasting is fairly effortless activity for me and I quite enjoy my fasting days so might help me by acting as a reminder of why the balancing act is super important. Needless to say so long as Mrs. Nutribolt is around stupidity on part of yours truly will always be of limited variety :D

Reactions: oldgreymare

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Must be the vaccine

And savour you must... its small victories like these that make the whole control possible and before you know it, this will be the new normal. Congratulations. :)

What fallout Ian.. if you don't mind me asking and ofcourse are happy to share... might help me avoid those as you know fasting is fairly effortless activity for me and I quite enjoy my fasting days so might help me by acting as a reminder of why the balancing act is super important. Needless to say so long as Mrs. Nutribolt is around stupidity on part of yours truly will always be of limited variety :D
I'll PM you - if'n those dorys are hunky

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
6.6 at 6 AM and 6.6 at 7.50AM.

Report for those interested in my little experiment:
  • Before breaking the fast my reading was 5.1
  • During the day it went to 8 and it stayed above 7.6 for about an hour. This was between 10.15 to 11.15.
  • I broke fast at 96 hrs by eating 40gms of extra mature cheddar cheese, 100gms of air fried celeriac, three almond Flour pancakes and 2 chocolate keto bars. So net carb intake was well below 10gms.
  • 2 hours after eating this my reading was 5.7.
  • Before sleeping at around 23.30 reading was 6.1.
I genuinely have no idea what needs to be done to bring down these numbers. If eating what little I ate after 4 days of not eating anything is failing I guess I will just have to stick with ADF and ride it out. 6s I dont have a problem with, its the readings going past 7.6 during fasting that are puzzling and higher readings this morning after just a small intake that seem to be training my brain to discourage eating which can't be good so I need to consciously strike a balance.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)
Do you feel well during and after the lengthy fasts,@nutribolt ? Also do you need to eat large portions to break your fast? I found after fasting for more than 48 hours I needed to break the fast with very small amounts of green veg and white fish. I couldn’t cope with much food and took as long as I had been fasting to return to normal portion sizes. Do you feel well, during and after fasting, generally, and do you test for ketones?

I woke to 8.1 today. Tested 20 mins later, before breakfast, and it had fallen to 5.8..
Confused, alright.

Reactions: oldgreymare

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

4.9 this morning.

Send an email GP today asking whether I am considered a person with a prior condition to determine when it is my turn to get vaccinated. Am a bit confused as on the one hand I was diagnosed with a very high HbA1c six years ago and this info still appears on every referral while on the other hand all my HbA1cs since have been the normal range and GP has communicated I am no longer diabetic. It will be interesting to see whether I hear back.

@CotswoldsBloke @HeliGary -- Brilliant results on your HbA1c. It's wonderful to see all your hard work has paid off.
@Providence 62 -- Yeah! Hope this is a sign of good things to come.
@DJC3 -- It really seems as if the second jab doesn't have as much of an impact as the first for you. It's good to see that you are also feeling better.
@Pipp -- Thanks for your kind works. Could the fasting blood test be a misread? If not, maybe your insulin has kicked in?
@Ryhia -- Hugs for feeling under the weather. Keeping my fingers crossed that you and your husband will be feeling better soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thrilled to tiny little bits. 4.8 this morning. I did not believe it was possible, I thought that I was some sort of alien who was unable to have FBGs under 6! Been mad at the studies this week and have been registering 6s all week. I had to jump online and let my lovely 'diabetic club' (as Mr P calls this page) know this fantastic news. Will probably go up again tomorrow, but for today I am savouring this :)
Yay! Savour it indeed its those lovely moments that gets us through the bad ones.

Reactions: DJC3

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you feel well during and after the lengthy fasts,@nutribolt ? Also do you need to eat large portions to break your fast?
I feel quite good to be honest while fasting. Its in evenings when my wife and daughter are eating something I used to love and with the enhanced sense of smell i know about it even if i am in a different floor let alone different room that i find it a bit tricky but that literally is the battle of wits rather than any discomfort of any kind.

After the fast, irrespective of duration I always start with 40gms of Extra mature cheddar cheese then flaxseed Porridge. I've found that my diet has reduced in past months and it wasn't huge to begin with so I dont really eat a lot even when am not fasting. Only difference is on the day I am not fasting I make sure I have good amount of protein which I usually get from chicken.

Do you feel well, during and after fasting, generally, and do you test for ketones?

Yeah healthwise and mentally I actually feel tip top while fasting and after breaking fast too I dont feel lethargic or a sudden rush of energy like I used to when I had carb rich diet... I think low carbing makes fasting easier but thats just my own deduction... no scientific study behind it except for my personal observation.

I do test for ketone once in a while. As it happens I tested during this fasting and was surprised that despite the long duration the ketone count was a paltry 1.4 when in past it would have been a bit higher by this time. I suspect with higher BG body was busy consuming available energy before opting for ketone as the energy source.

Last edited:
Reactions: ert and ianpspurs

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Interesting question BUT where do you and @PenguinMum end up come HbA1c time? Like 2 pieces of toast landing buttered side up. Sheesh, you two;)

Last one a couple of months ago was 35, but as we know it’s just an arbitrarily assigned number we humans have come up with to try to simplify complicated systems. We can all just bumble along and you seem to be bumbling along just fine to me.
Buttered toast....I wish.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

4.9 this morning.

Send an email GP today asking whether I am considered a person with a prior condition to determine when it is my turn to get vaccinated. Am a bit confused as on the one hand I was diagnosed with a very high HbA1c six years ago and this info still appears on every referral while on the other hand all my HbA1cs since have been the normal range and GP has communicated I am no longer diabetic. It will be interesting to see whether I hear back.

@CotswoldsBloke @HeliGary -- Brilliant results on your HbA1c. It's wonderful to see all your hard work has paid off.
@Providence 62 -- Yeah! Hope this is a sign of good things to come.
@DJC3 -- It really seems as if the second jab doesn't have as much of an impact as the first for you. It's good to see that you are also feeling better.
@Pipp -- Thanks for your kind works. Could the fasting blood test be a misread? If not, maybe your insulin has kicked in?
@Ryhia -- Hugs for feeling under the weather. Keeping my fingers crossed that you and your husband will be feeling better soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Good luck getting the jab soon Ziggy, I do feel a lot easier being out and about now having had it. I hope your email gets results.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You’ll get there one day - took me at about two years to see my FBS come down although I’m not sure how much was due to the statins I took increasing my levels!

Thank you. It’s been well over 3 years now for me. Sometimes it’s better than others but I don’t really do anything very different so I try not to stress about it, though I do get a bit peeved at times!