1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by NewdestinyX, Jun 30, 2011.

1. CotswoldsBloke

CotswoldsBloke Type 2 · Well-Known Member

4.2 on waking (Libre). 10k walk and a creamy coffee and I’m 4.7 on Libre.

A day of DIY awaits. Please don’t feel obliged to offer your condolences.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

Interesting question BUT where do you and @PenguinMum end up come HbA1c time? Like 2 pieces of toast landing buttered side up. Sheesh, you two;)

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Daphne917

Daphne917 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

You’ll get there one day - took me at about two years to see my FBS come down although I’m not sure how much was due to the statins I took increasing my levels!

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  4. Ryhia

Ryhia Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Ok so not so good a day today was definitely feeling under the weather this morning Hubby is feeling off too. Very fatigued and just a general feeling of meh! Don't know if it could be a reaction to the vaccine. FBG was 6.00 this morning.

• Hug Hug x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  5. nutribolt

nutribolt Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Must be the vaccine

And savour you must... its small victories like these that make the whole control possible and before you know it, this will be the new normal. Congratulations. :)

What fallout Ian.. if you don't mind me asking and ofcourse are happy to share... might help me avoid those as you know fasting is fairly effortless activity for me and I quite enjoy my fasting days so might help me by acting as a reminder of why the balancing act is super important. Needless to say so long as Mrs. Nutribolt is around stupidity on part of yours truly will always be of limited variety :D

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ianpspurs

ianpspurs Type 2 · Master

I'll PM you - if'n those dorys are hunky

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. nutribolt

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  8. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you feel well during and after the lengthy fasts,@nutribolt ? Also do you need to eat large portions to break your fast? I found after fasting for more than 48 hours I needed to break the fast with very small amounts of green veg and white fish. I couldn’t cope with much food and took as long as I had been fasting to return to normal portion sizes. Do you feel well, during and after fasting, generally, and do you test for ketones?

I woke to 8.1 today. Tested 20 mins later, before breakfast, and it had fallen to 5.8..
    Confused, alright.

• Hug Hug x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ziggy_w

ziggy_w Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all,

4.9 this morning.

Send an email GP today asking whether I am considered a person with a prior condition to determine when it is my turn to get vaccinated. Am a bit confused as on the one hand I was diagnosed with a very high HbA1c six years ago and this info still appears on every referral while on the other hand all my HbA1cs since have been the normal range and GP has communicated I am no longer diabetic. It will be interesting to see whether I hear back.

@CotswoldsBloke @HeliGary -- Brilliant results on your HbA1c. It's wonderful to see all your hard work has paid off.
    @Providence 62 -- Yeah! Hope this is a sign of good things to come.
    @DJC3 -- It really seems as if the second jab doesn't have as much of an impact as the first for you. It's good to see that you are also feeling better.
    @Pipp -- Thanks for your kind works. Could the fasting blood test be a misread? If not, maybe your insulin has kicked in?
    @Ryhia -- Hugs for feeling under the weather. Keeping my fingers crossed that you and your husband will be feeling better soon.

Have a great weekend everyone.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    #57229 ziggy_w, Apr 24, 2021 at 2:07 PM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  10. PenguinMum

PenguinMum Type 2 · Expert

A bit like the Hotel California!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. PenguinMum

Yay! Savour it indeed its those lovely moments that gets us through the bad ones.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. PenguinMum

That would be good to believe but I have been putting off booking my overdue A1c this time. Like the toast analogy though.

• Friendly Friendly x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mrs T 123

Mrs T 123 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

An expected 6.2 for me this morning after eating some leftover late night munchies of son's pakora.:hungry: I find it really hard to resist sometimes if it is there ...

• Like Like x 5
    • Hug Hug x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. nutribolt

I feel quite good to be honest while fasting. Its in evenings when my wife and daughter are eating something I used to love and with the enhanced sense of smell i know about it even if i am in a different floor let alone different room that i find it a bit tricky but that literally is the battle of wits rather than any discomfort of any kind.

After the fast, irrespective of duration I always start with 40gms of Extra mature cheddar cheese then flaxseed Porridge. I've found that my diet has reduced in past months and it wasn't huge to begin with so I dont really eat a lot even when am not fasting. Only difference is on the day I am not fasting I make sure I have good amount of protein which I usually get from chicken.

Yeah healthwise and mentally I actually feel tip top while fasting and after breaking fast too I dont feel lethargic or a sudden rush of energy like I used to when I had carb rich diet... I think low carbing makes fasting easier but thats just my own deduction... no scientific study behind it except for my personal observation.

I do test for ketone once in a while. As it happens I tested during this fasting and was surprised that despite the long duration the ketone count was a paltry 1.4 when in past it would have been a bit higher by this time. I suspect with higher BG body was busy consuming available energy before opting for ketone as the energy source.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #57234 nutribolt, Apr 24, 2021 at 4:53 PM
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  15. Providence 62

Providence 62 LADA · Well-Known Member

h
    Thanks @PenguinMum - it's good to know it can be done.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Last one a couple of months ago was 35, but as we know it’s just an arbitrarily assigned number we humans have come up with to try to simplify complicated systems. We can all just bumble along and you seem to be bumbling along just fine to me.
    Buttered toast....I wish.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Good luck getting the jab soon Ziggy, I do feel a lot easier being out and about now having had it. I hope your email gets results.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. DJC3

DJC3 Type 2 · Expert

Thank you. It’s been well over 3 years now for me. Sometimes it’s better than others but I don’t really do anything very different so I try not to stress about it, though I do get a bit peeved at times!

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. HeliGary

HeliGary Type 2 · Well-Known Member

5.8 this morning at 0530.

It’s a beautiful morning again, short run then off to work for 0900 for a 10 hour shift.

• Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Pasha

Pasha Type 2 · Expert

5.2 mmoles/l and results with upping carbohydrates to 35gm/day [net] seem to be going well.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook