What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sausages, two egg and cheese omelette, small portion of baked beans, tomatoes for breakfast.
Tub of chobani greek yoghurt, lemon cordial with a scoop of Osomolax mixed in for smoko.
Rib fillet steak and mixed salad for lunch.
Two toasted cheese and onion low carb sandwiches for supper at six.

Setting up defensive positions to ward off the halloween trick and treaters on Sunday. :meh:

Edit: Typo

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve lost a bit of weight too, unintentionally, so I shan’t worry about eating a lot for now.

Maybe that’s why you’re hungry - you weren’t overweight, so maybe your body needs the nutrients. Enjoy!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
D451C767-BC49-4B5B-86B9-754F9581FCF2.jpeg D0DBE708-9E8A-452A-BCE5-2292A6D9D1D9.jpeg
Wasn’t at all hungry first thing so didn’t start eating till hungry at 1.30. Important to listen to your body
@DJC3 agree with @Goonergal youre probably hungry because your body needs the nutrition at the moment.
Lateish lunch after getting this weeks home made low carb bread proving before baking this afternoon I find it very therapeutic making my bread. I’m planning rolls Tomorrow if get time. Had a tapas style lunch with a mix of m and s Serrano ham crisps - see photos -my first time of trying them - know others have recommended them and they were delicious with celery,tomatoes,a few walnuts, pate and hm lc bread. Followed by Greek yoghurt.
Mid pm tea with two squares of 90% choc
Dinner chicken curry with a popaddom and Corriander salsa with two gins with soda water followed by LC brownie.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bits of streaky bacon and the last of the Lorne sausage and onion, fried.

I intended to have chicken pot pie, without the pastry, for my 2nd meal, but now that it has come to it, I don't feel like eating, or cooking. So, I'll probably do without a meal and make do with tea or some milk.

Reactions: maglil55

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very happy food today!

Granted, it looks messy, but who cares, it all gets mixed up inside anyway!
Every once in a while, maybe once or twice a year, I crave my father's spaghetti. While my spaghetti sauce obviously can't touch the ghost of my father's spaghetti sauce, mine comes acceptably close.
Which leaves me with the other half of the problem: I don't eat spaghetti.
Yes, I know there are low carb noodles and people who use courgette as a substitute and such, but I'm very sure this won't remind me of my father's food in any way, so that's out.

So I had my yearly experiment trying to satisfy the craving today.
My father's had a lot of veggies in it already, so I figured I'd just use even more veggies alongside the minced meat and tinned tomatoes and call it a stew, no need to try to substitute the spaghetti if it's a stew, right?

So here's the happy result: Papa's spaghetti sauce stew with grated cheese and a generous spoonful of zaziki, very satisfying!
(Not sure if my father ever had zaziki but that's alright, it went very well with the 'stew' :hungry:)

250215150_10224538927335014_2263458196628670305_n.jpg

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - Fried egg & bacon doubler slc roll. Mug of earl grey tea

Dinner - h/m lc lasagne made with square cheese layers instead of pasta. 1 slice slc bread outsider toasted with garlic butter melted on top. Greek yogurt & some raspberries

Handful of mixed nuts and eh wine o'clock now - well it is Saturday night! just relaxing with all my candles on - a dark cosy night in

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 and @Goonergal thanks for your comments, I agree, I’ve not been properly hungry since starting this woe so I must be more in tune with my body now I think. I’ve tried to concentrate on more nutrient dense food today ( apart from a glass or 2 of red wine this evening)
B- 3 eggs scrambled with a couple of mushrooms and chopped red pepper topped with grated parmesan.
L- in of tuna, h/m mayo on romaine lettuce leaves. DGF ginger cake. ( I found 8 boxes DGF cakes in the freezer today!)
D- large fatty pork chop and a very fatty slice of belly pork, both airfried served with a recipe I saw on Facebook ‘Collard greens with bacon’ it was very tasty. ( made with greens which I think are the same thing)
@Mrs T 123 I’ve seen that suggestion about cheese slices in lasagne, does it work well and which cheese did you use? I’ve also seen a ‘Pastry slice’ type recipe using 2 slices Gouda pressed together around a filling of cream cheese, ham, spinach etc then baked. I keep meaning to try that too.
@Antje77 I think your father would have been very happy being remembered in that way. My family have been trying to recreate my mum’s spag Bol for nearly 20yrs now but we’re no closer. Probably just as well as hers was quite sweet somehow.
@Debmcgee your dessert sounds lovely but how do you manage to melt and drizzle 1 square of chocolate without losing half round the sides of the container when pouring it out? I can never manage it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast (at my daughter’s so no coconut ‘porridge’ today): Greek yoghurt with strawberries and low carb granola with black coffee.
Lunch out at one of the Flat Iron restaurants in London: steak and roasted cauliflower with mushroom sauce and a Diet Coke.
Snack on the coach home: a packet of coconut bites.
Dinner back home Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

8D51575F-7995-4C4E-B235-9F27854DB144.jpeg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Antje77 I think your father would have been very happy being remembered in that way. My family have been trying to recreate my mum’s spag Bol for nearly 20yrs now but we’re no closer. Probably just as well as hers was quite sweet somehow.
I think he'd think I'm an idiot for making a fuss over his spaghetti, but yes, he might secretly like it. :happy:
I forced him to make meatballs together when he was already very ill (and tube fed, so he couldn't even enjoy them) because I was so scared I would never eat his meatballs after he passed if I didn't have a hands on lesson. :hilarious: We had a wonderful afternoon that day!
Took me years before I dared to try to make them afterward, as afraid as I was it wouldn't work out right. By now I'm pretty proud of my own meatballs, which may or may not resemble my father's, I'm not sure anymore. :)
My friend contacted him through Facebook (he couldn't talk anymore) shortly before he died because she needed his recipe for onion soup and would never forgive herself if she hadn't asked.

I think it's wonderful the way we can remember our loved ones through their foods! Even if it doesn't turn out exactly right, it still means time spent with them in a way.

As for your mums spag bol, most older recipes, from the time spaghetti was a novelty, say to add quite a lot of sugar to the sauce, so it might be that's what's missing in your family's efforts!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No breakfast as such as had a "cooking for the freezer" session this morning: pork belly terrine, blueberry cinnamon cake, cheesy soda bread. 2 pieces of the latter 2 disappeared into my mouth before the rest got to the freezer (blush). The terrine is 2 day affair so verdict awaited.
Lunch was creamy mushrooms and bacon (on toast for the boys, on scrambled egg for me)
D: hubby was cooking so while waiting started with a large glass of wine and a chunk of cheddar, he then produced a scramble hash thing that was very tasty (was supposed to be a cheese loaf but fell apart). 4 squares godiva dark chocolate

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's wonderful the way we can remember our loved ones through their foods! Even if it doesn't turn out exactly right, it still means time spent with them in a way.

As for your mums spag bol, most older recipes, from the time spaghetti was a novelty, say to add quite a lot of sugar to the sauce, so it might be that's what's missing in your family's efforts!

Couldn’t agree more about remembering loved ones through food made together. Many of my memories are of cakes sadly though - which may explain why quite a few of the family ended up with T2D!!

You’re right about the sugar - I can remember being taught always to add a teaspoon of sugar to tomato based sauces to ‘cut the acidity’

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Couldn’t agree more about remembering loved ones through food made together. Many of my memories are of cakes sadly though - which may explain why quite a few of the family ended up with T2D!!

You’re right about the sugar - I can remember being taught always to add a teaspoon of sugar to tomato based sauces to ‘cut the acidity’

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Bec
No idea why the above post appeared twice.
because it's 11PM in the UK and the forum is having it's daily slow moment at that time. Between 11 and about 11:20 it's hit and miss.

Reactions: DJC3

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three hard boiled eggs, two slices of low carb toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Tub of hot dog balls with a American mustard dip*, lemon cordial and Osmolax for smoko.
Pork chops, green veggies and gravy for lunch.
Shredded cheese and nixed salad low carb wraps for supper at six.

* Pix and story in other thread.