What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7.8 - “That’ll do Pig….. That’ll do…” - I had an awful LCFH breakfast: Mushrooms, scrambled eggs and chicken sausage. Taken me all day to get rid of the taste. Needed a Diet COKE to wash it away. Yuck….

Yuck indeed. :yuck:
Scrambled eggs and mushrooms for supper ... maybe ... but not first thing in the morning!

ultradad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.1 today. Morning BS back to normal. Did not notice i had covid if i am being honest, must be diet and vitamins :). I have scambled eggs with cheese every morning but we all different :). Not sure about mushroom and sausage. When i was in travelodge i had scambled eggs, bacon and sausage (pork) and just kept going back till i was full but couldnt do that all the time :)

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.5, back into my normal-for-me range. That feels better!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Team D Barmy Army mascot dropping in to cheer y'all. 2 more days self-isolation to go before annual (thank God for continued all clear so far and pray for repeat) candid camera so no Swipey. @Marianne67 stunning fbg. @ultradad glad COVID seems to have been so mild. Breakfast? Outside by the pool in Cyprus - after the gym and swim - fine. In England?:bigtears:

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
8.3 - I hate this condition. @ultradad I’ll try that scrambled eggs and cheese this morning.

Reactions: Ryhia

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eggs and cheese sounds perfect, but every so often eggs have a nasty laxative effct for me, accompanied by a bit of face swelling. Must be something the hens eat that I am allergic to.
Here I am this grey Saturday morning, feeling jolly with a fasting level of 6.0. So close to my target in the 5s, yet so far.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Still not a clue where these figures come fron
If your actual level was around 6.5 both of your meters could be considered correct as they are both within the +/- %15 accuracy standard, one reading high the other low. Using two meters always causes confusion and doubt, two different strip's used on the same drop of blood & meter can give different readings. The chances of two meters reading the same are slim. If I were you I would pick the meter I like best (probably the one that reads lower) and stick with that, use the other as a back up/spare

Ryhia

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.4 this morning, Wish I could accept these figures I am seeing but I am doubtful and I think my next HbA1c will show I am right to be sceptic. Got 200 more strips to get through before I can revert to my old meter. For the foreseeable I will just follow trends which is all I do anyway. Keep well and have a good day folks. :)

HeliGary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Load eating , idiots.
5.4 on the Safe AQ this morning.
Off to run for a bit now in the rain.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?
Mine was 9.1 mmol after fasting from 7pm last night I just don’t know why it’s so high!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine was 9.1 mmol after fasting from 7pm last night I just don’t know why it’s so high!
Hi @Sammy99, welcome to the thread. I see you have been a member for a good while, but this is first post.
Without further info on your diet, medication etc. it isn’t really possible to offer suggestions as to why you have a high reading .
Hope you can find some answers, or at least possible answers. Have a look around the forums for ideas, and post questions or start your own thread, with a bit of background info.

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If your actual level was around 6.5 both of your meters could be considered correct as they are both within the +/- %15 accuracy standard, one reading high the other low. Using two meters always causes confusion and doubt, two different strip's used on the same drop of blood & meter can give different readings. The chances of two meters reading the same are slim. If I were you I would pick the meter I like best (probably the one that reads lower) and stick with that, use the other as a back up/spare
@catinahat
Sorry for the confusion I meant I don’t know why my b/s is at those levels, no consistency to the numbers at all

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
4.4 this morning, Wish I could accept these figures I am seeing but I am doubtful and I think my next HbA1c will show I am right to be sceptic.
@Ryhia Yes, when I get a nice low number, I hesitate to believe it, and likewise when I get a high one. For the high, I retest, usually on the same drop of blood. Often I get confirmation of the bad news, but sometimes not eg 5.7 5.0 4.8. OK not a huge difference, but enough to affect my morning morale according to which I choose. A nice low test I accept with enthusiasm, as long as it's not actually hypo, which has occurred. (100% incorrect!)
My A1c always comes out worse than my meter tests would predict. Apparently this happens for some people, and you could ask for a Fructosamine test instead. I think this is the case for @Bluetit1802. Or one might just be going higher at night or at other times when one is not checking. One day we will look back at these problems and marvel at how crude our testing methods were, but at least we do have them.

Last edited:

Sammy99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Sammy99, welcome to the thread. I see you have been a member for a good while, but this is first post.
Without further info on your diet, medication etc. it isn’t really possible to offer suggestions as to why you have a high reading .
Hope you can find some answers, or at least possible answers. Have a look around the forums for ideas, and post questions or start your own thread, with a bit of background info.
Hi I’ve had trouble logging in I lost my account info
I am just learning how to navigate the forum thank you for the welcome

Reactions: SaskiaKC

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All, just. 6.5 today so disappointed again. Have a good Saturday everyone.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Well this morning I did not test and have been flaffing about so decided to take it - before my chicken soup. It was 8.9. Not particularly concerned as I had been flaffing about but still a bit of a shock as I had had nowt to eat until 1pm