What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
4.4 today. Have a good day.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for @PenguinMum - bg misbehaving; @DEBBIESCOTT - Larry misbehaving; @Widgets - sleep misbehaving. Yay for @karen8967 continuing to see no hypos or hypers. Gym for me yesterday - quite busy, lots of youngish petite or at least very trim looking females lifting weights in various ways. Big generational shift and good to see. Quite worrying about COVID risk but LC alone doesn't work for me and misbehaving BG doesn't equal wellbeing. Go Team D.
:)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My fasting levels have always been the highest of the day, I was regularly in the 7's sometimes higher. Eventually I gave up testing them, couldn't see the value of knowing a number if I could do nothing to influence it. Since my first set of blood tests when I was diagnosed my HbA1c has never been above 38.
So in my case it seems that being a point or 2 above what I would like for a short time in the morning has very little impact on my HbA1c
You make a very good point. I guess I am worried that I am usually in the 5s prior to teatime but the last few days have been 7s. My Libre this afternoon was at 3.7 for 90 mins which made me eat a biscuit just in case! Big disparency between testing strips and Libre atm. At least Libre gives me trends if not very true.

Reactions: Ryhia and catinahat

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Big disparency between testing strips and Libre atm. At least Libre gives me trends if not very true.
I too use up time, energy and strips seeking an accuracy that is just not on offer. This morning fasting I got 5.6. Not happy, so I instantly re-tested from the same drop of blood and got a nice 4.8. I considered using a 3rd strip, but then wondered what the point would be. Would I believe the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or an average of all 3?
The one time I tried a Libre sensor I also liked the arrows, but the Libre seemed to read much lower than my strips, which in turn read lower than my A1c
I think none of these readings are to be taken too much to heart. They do motivate me to try hard. As long as I'm not injecting insulin or taking insulin-producing meds, false lows should not alarm me too much. I'm not at all convinced that I can keep from being upset by false highs, though.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too use up time, energy and strips seeking an accuracy that is just not on offer. This morning fasting I got 5.6. Not happy, so I instantly re-tested from the same drop of blood and got a nice 4.8. I considered using a 3rd strip, but then wondered what the point would be. Would I believe the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or an average of all 3?
The one time I tried a Libre sensor I also liked the arrows, but the Libre seemed to read much lower than my strips, which in turn read lower than my A1c
I think none of these readings are to be taken too much to heart. They do motivate me to try hard. As long as I'm not injecting insulin or taking insulin-producing meds, false lows should not alarm me too much. I'm not at all convinced that I can keep from being upset by false highs, though.
Thanks Alexandra that is such a great overview. I don’t have a complete pancreas after surgery in 2012 so I am always wary of losing the battle. You guys here are completely wonderful with your supportive insight.

Widgets

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
4.4 today.

Early up and about, but I was so tired yesterday after a long run of 4 hour nights that I went to bed very early. I might have actually managed 7 or 8 hours last night. In a couple of lumps but still, better than I've managed the last couple of weeks.

Reactions: karen8967

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning
Libre 6.9
Contour 6
Just tested positive for covid so all exercise on hold, & working from home
Have a good day everyone

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DEBBIESCOTT hug for the positive and I hope and pray you have the mild version. @Widgets yay for the sleep and fbg. @ TeamD, don't be fooled by the Highlights Reel of those who seem to find managing The D easy and LC a joy. It wasn't always like that for them and isn't like that for most of us. @PenguinMum hang tough and keep the Big Picture front and centre.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnEGreen

DEBBIESCOTT

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DEBBIESCOTT hug for the positive and I hope and pray you have the mild version. @Widgets yay for the sleep and fbg. @ TeamD, don't be fooled by the Highlights reel of those who seem to find managing The D easy and LC a joy. It wasn't always like that for them and isn't like that for most of us. @PenguinMum hang tough and keep the Big Picture front and centre.
Thanks @ianpspurs, just feel really tired & not affected blood sugar yet

prhayes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
First time poster, recently diagnosed T2 and sent a meter with some lancets and strips. Tested a few times yesterday afternoon and had a range of 6.6-7.7 with dinner inbetween. My fasting reading this morning right after waking was 5.6.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
First time poster, recently diagnosed T2 and sent a meter with some lancets and strips. Tested a few times yesterday afternoon and had a range of 6.6-7.7 with dinner inbetween. My fasting reading this morning right after waking was 5.6.
Welcome @prhayes good to see you and spiffing first fasting number.

Reactions: prhayes