What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.7:this morning. So back to more normal fbs. Another relaxing day ahead. Must do some admin before seeing the podiatrist.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Greetings all on what will eventually become SSSF ™ here in an overcast and cool Brecks. @Krystyna23040 sad news indeed yesterday and cause for concern over Mr K. Hopefully off (the?) road may be a workable solution for you both. I'm glad your fbg has stabilised. @gennepher another detailed account of wildlife in your domain. Thank you for the kaleidoscope - Archangel is another new one on me as they say. @dunelm thanks for the art and I hope the union went/is going well despite #baggagegate. Two grandchildren today then four and the delayed Easter Egg hunt tomorrow. UK PLC may seem a shambles beyond anything The Seventies produced just now but I have JKP. tea, coffee, salad, treats for our grandchildren, dog food and many ways for me to watch sport. Seems shallow I know but that is enough fir me just now so thanks be to God. Sufficient unto the day and then some. Do take great care and find your own happy place if at all feasible.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well it’s all kicking off and Shadow has her work cut out. Magpies are quick learners. Splendid Yellow Archangels.
It is. @dunelm !

I am trying various strategies today...
Apart from the cost to me of totally feeding Mr Magpie and his growing family on wet cat food (they eat more in a day than the average cat), I am sure it is not good for baby magpies to be brought up on a diet of solely wet cat food. I do understand Mr Magpie has his work cut out feeding that family, and to that end I will help him as much as I can, but not with wet cat food. After all I do keep saying this garden has to be a haven for all creatures, and as far as possible I will attempt to achieve that...
Thank you for the archangel compliment.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning everyone from what looks like another day of warmth and sunshine here in the not so dark and dangerous north.
Pick up from Manchester Airport was going swimmingly until the baggage handlers staggered into action like a pack of sloths climbing out of a tree. Snails were racing past them but after only an hour, bags appeared on carrousels and all was well.
Art bit - A boat. Have a grand day. I simply must make some koffy in my travel cafetière.

View attachment 54267
Glad all the bags arrived eventually @dunelm
I like the art bit with that small boat wending its way...

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a shock and bought issue of Mr K riding a motorcycle to a head.

I have always been nervous when Mr K rides his motorbike, especially since I was hit by white van man while riding my bicycle, but I have never wanted him to give it up as he loves his motorbike.

Last week I was drawing Mr Ks attention to the number of motorcycle and moped accidents in Norfolk and Suffolk (which I am afraid I do regularly) and he said that he had been thinking of selling his motorbike. I vetoed that idea and said that he would regret it if he did.

After the phone call from my client I was quite upset and Mr K said again that he did want to stop riding his motorbike. He then admitted that the last time he rode it he had a near miss with an overtaking car and that the standard of driving in Norfolk had really deteriorated since covid.

So I did suggest that he could just take it off the road rather than sell it. I was really surprised how relieved I felt when I realised that he was really serious about giving up riding it.
It is not just in Norfolk and Suffolk @Krystyna23040 that the standard of driving has deteriorated since Covid, it is here too. So, I presume it is everywhere. We all have had to get back into driving again. And the 'flow of safe driving' (for want of a better word) that we had before Covid lockdowns, when driving doesn't just come straight back. It takes time. But the motorcyclists and anything on two wheels, are quite a bit more vulnerable (than car drivers) in the meantime.

The bike is a freedom you cannot get with a car. I get that. I still dream of a motorbike again. But that won't happen (unless I get a motorbike with a sidecar...see, I am still dreaming...)

You need to talk with someone who has a motorcycle now, like some of the others on this thread. They may be able to give you an insight that I cannot.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Greetings all on what will eventually become SSSF ™ here in an overcast and cool Brecks. @Krystyna23040 sad news indeed yesterday and cause for concern over Mr K. Hopefully off (the?) road may be a workable solution for you both. I'm glad your fbg has stabilised. @gennepher another detailed account of wildlife in your domain. Thank you for the kaleidoscope - Archangel is another new one on me as they say. @dunelm thanks for the art and I hope the union went/is going well despite #baggagegate. Two grandchildren today then four and the delayed Easter Egg hunt tomorrow. UK PLC may seem a shambles beyond anything The Seventies produced just now but I have JKP. tea, coffee, salad, treats for our grandchildren, dog food and many ways for me to watch sport. Seems shallow I know but that is enough fir me just now so thanks be to God. Sufficient unto the day and then some. Do take great care and find your own happy place if at all feasible.
Thank you @ianpspurs

It is only recently I found out that Yellow Archangel was its more proper name, I always used to call it Yellow Dead Nettle.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was a shock and bought issue of Mr K riding a motorcycle to a head.

I have always been nervous when Mr K rides his motorbike, especially since I was hit by white van man while riding my bicycle, but I have never wanted him to give it up as he loves his motorbike.

Last week I was drawing Mr Ks attention to the number of motorcycle and moped accidents in Norfolk and Suffolk (which I am afraid I do regularly) and he said that he had been thinking of selling his motorbike. I vetoed that idea and said that he would regret it if he did.

After the phone call from my client I was quite upset and Mr K said again that he did want to stop riding his motorbike. He then admitted that the last time he rode it he had a near miss with an overtaking car and that the standard of driving in Norfolk had really deteriorated since covid.

So I did suggest that he could just take it off the road rather than sell it. I was really surprised how relieved I felt when I realised that he was really serious about giving up riding it.

A sad time for your friend indeed, and a little uneasy for You, with the incident so closely entwined with a loved one

While the decision may be fraught, the acceptance & acknowledgement of the dangers, by Mr K, surely eases your mind

A lay up, to consider the real impact, makes good sense

Some thing just need a little time to show how practical or not another direction may be

I know from my position it may seem obverse, but life itself, as you well know, is inherently dangerous.

Over 2000 people died of covid last week and likely to, every week for the foreseeable future, but we still live our lives as best we can.

Your concern is a sensible & realistic approach at a time of heightened personal awareness of the risks.

But people die everyday of car accidents, bicycle accidents, as pedestrians and by numerous other means as well as by others ill will , we must judge reasonably or we risk losing that which makes life truly worth living.

I hope whatever decision you both finally come to, is one that suits you both.

Best wishes to you both .

Reactions: ianpspurs

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not just in Norfolk and Suffolk @Krystyna23040 that the standard of driving has deteriorated since Covid, it is here too. So, I presume it is everywhere. We all have had to get back into driving again. And the 'flow of safe driving' (for want of a better word) that we had before Covid lockdowns, when driving doesn't just come straight back. It takes time. But the motorcyclists and anything on two wheels, are quite a bit more vulnerable (than car drivers) in the meantime.

The bike is a freedom you cannot get with a car. I get that. I still dream of a motorbike again. But that won't happen (unless I get a motorbike with a sidecar...see, I am still dreaming...)

You need to talk with someone who has a motorcycle now, like some of the others on this thread. They may be able to give you an insight that I cannot.
Have to agree whole heartedly with the standards @gennepher

Observed some appalling driving here in the Capital.

Not too unsure it's not an inbuilt rage at how dedicated the mayor's office & TFL are in their pursuit of as much gridlock as possible to justify more & more removals if everyone's freedom to travel, who isn't rather wealthy

Cars for the wealthy, buses trains & cycles for everyone else

My personal irk, is I was taught NOT to obstruct a main thoroughfare

So I'll regularly turn left or right to circle a block to go back the way I came

But oh no no.no ..
Seems the modern way is even in the narrowest of the busiest streets,
bozos 17 point turning is the norm, while traffic waits in both directions

while bozo oblivious to looks of amusement at his stupidity, stumbles in his super duper motor,
in ways that would make miss daisy blush with embarrassment at her poor skills

Biker mags tend to have a lot of "pre season" pep talks about taking time to acclimatise once more to 'The Road' each spring

Not sure anyone points that out to motorists ?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thank you @gennepher. I do agree that anything on two wheels is quite a bit more vulnerable than a car. I feel that he is so much safer in his Jaguar F Pace but I know that he doesn't get the same feeling of freedom that he gets with his motorbike.

Reactions: jjraak

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A sad time for your friend indeed, and a little uneasy for You, with the incident so closely entwined with a loved one

While the decision may be fraught, the acceptance & acknowledgement of the dangers, by Mr K, surely eases your mind

A lay up, to consider the real impact, makes good sense

Some thing just need a little time to show how practical or not another direction may be

I know from my position it may seem obverse, but life itself, as you well know, is inherently dangerous.

Over 2000 people died of covid last week and likely to, every week for the foreseeable future, but we still live our lives as best we can.

Your concern is a sensible & realistic approach at a time of heightened personal awareness of the risks.

But people die everyday of car accidents, bicycle accidents, as pedestrians and by numerous other means as well as by others ill will , we must judge reasonably or we risk losing that which makes life truly worth living.

I hope whatever decision you both finally come to, is one that suits you both.

Best wishes to you both .
Thank you @jjraak. Yes, you are right. People die every week from many different causes. Life is inherently dangerous and it is not just riding a motorbike that is dangerous.

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are grandchildren sitting….
Blood sugars this morning were 6.9 another hmmm where did that come from.
Motorcycling in fact all forms of 2 wheel transportation are very dangerous and only a fool would deny that fact. In my opinion it is the riders responsibility to minimise that danger, for motorcycles the scheme run by RoSPA and the IAM ( Institute of Motorists ) are very good and teach the rider how to minimise the risks, not eliminate, minimise.
Yes the general standard of driving and riding in my opinion has fallen since the advent of the covid pandemic, which means even more care must be taken.
Now for me, I prefer riding to driving my car, these day I ride only for pleasure, the fresh air, smells, increased visibility due to sitting high up and performance when I choose to use it and when I started motorcycling again after a 25 year layoff it proved to me the total futility of trying to drive my car fast.
Now we all have make decisions in our lives and it is our own responsibility to live our lives as we choose, we only have one chance.
Enough from me, stay safe from covid, politicians and the media fellow posters and painters.

Reactions: karen8967

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
7.35am FBG 5.8
Before breakfast 8.30ish fBG 5.4
During visit to French neighbours noticed their onions are planted much more closely than mine, so today been interplanting with more seeds.
Beautiful sunny day with warm breeze, perfect for washing sheets.
I put out crumbs and water for the birds, but next doors cat comes and attempts to hoover them up. Have noticed one male chaffinch comes frequently to feed, but is obviously not entirely comfortable as he gives warning call constantly.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are grandchildren sitting….
Blood sugars this morning were 6.9 another hmmm where did that come from.
Motorcycling in fact all forms of 2 wheel transportation are very dangerous and only a fool would deny that fact. In my opinion it is the riders responsibility to minimise that danger, for motorcycles the scheme run by RoSPA and the IAM ( Institute of Motorists ) are very good and teach the rider how to minimise the risks, not eliminate, minimise.
Yes the general standard of driving and riding in my opinion has fallen since the advent of the covid pandemic, which means even more care must be taken.
Now for me, I prefer riding to driving my car, these day I ride only for pleasure, the fresh air, smells, increased visibility due to sitting high up and performance when I choose to use it and when I started motorcycling again after a 25 year layoff it proved to me the total futility of trying to drive my car fast.
Now we all have make decisions in our lives and it is our own responsibility to live our lives as we choose, we only have one chance.
Enough from me, stay safe from covid, politicians and the media fellow posters and painters.
Yes @alf_Josiah that is so true - we only have one chance and it is our own responsibility to live our lives as we chose.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My new Nespresso machine has arrived. It makes lovely coffee.
I am a real Barista now.
Actually that reminds me of a conversation I had in Costa Coffee. A very elderly gentleman asked me why would Barristers work in Costa Coffee. Surely they earn more money working as Barristers. I did try to explain that a Barista wasn't a Barrister.
upload_2022-4-22_17-21-44.png
upload_2022-4-22_17-21-44.png

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
My new Nespresso machine has arrived. It makes lovely coffee.
I am a real Barista now.
Actually that reminds me of a conversation I had in Costa Coffee. A very elderly gentleman asked me why would Barristers work in Costa Coffee. Surely they earn more money working as Barristers. I did try to explain that a Barista wasn't a Barrister.
View attachment 54270View attachment 54270
O dear, one of my minds has twisted the word Barista as for what my other minds have done with the word Barrister is not for this site. Enjoy your koffy :).

Jojo85

Good morning!

Fbg was 5.7 this morning
Had too many snacks the night before, I put together a delicious antipasto platter for a friend coming over, even tho great low carb options I still over ate. I love my cheese lol

Hope everyone has a great day!

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fbg...still on a finger prick sabbatical until next week. My fingers look and feel a lot smoother...

Mr Magpie? He is not pleased with me.
But first I had a pleasant half hour looking at all the improbable magpie scarers and the reviews...
There has got to be something cheaper and simpler I thought.
Lightbulb moment...
So yesterday, I went out and rearranged the cat dishes and the water tray which is quite big.
The wet food bowl ended up further back, under my wooden swing, as did the dry food bowls.
It was as I thought.
Mr Magpie did not dare enter from any angle. He would be trapped if a cat came along. His wingspan was too big to fly out and escape.
A couple of hours later, and Mr Magpie had been watching from my garage roof at the little birds and the cats feeding from the newly positioned bowls, and decided to try and dart in. He tried a run in, and a grab and run away (with the wet food) but he dropped it all. But he could see he as he was under the swing, that he had limited vision, and his very limited escape if he needed to.

He made several more tries in the day to no avail. His easy supply of wet cat food for his babies had now gone. I did feel sorry for him. But one big thing is, I don't think it is a very good idea for baby magpies to be brought up only on a diet of wet cat food. The baby magpies need a variety of food.

This morning Mr Magpie has not been back. Shadow has fed, and now there is the parade of the 4 gingers. Calico is disturbed by the new bowl position, but she'll figure it out. I now have 6 regular strays. There are another 3 who sometimes come. And one regular from last year has disappeared.

Creative today is a dandelion in my garden in Laboscope kaleidoscope app. A white wild garlic flower has crept into the middle. Shadow says hi!

Time for coffee...

image.jpeg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are struggling to attach a picture to this thread not inverted…..grrrr
Blood sugar this morning was a surprising 4.6, this will require a hefty prolonged session using a cray super computer or better still just get the grandchildren who stayed overnight to guess my insulin dose.
Attached inverted or not is a picture of my ladders arranged as a climbing frame, designed by the grandchildren to play on, over and under. We have have the grandchildren till late this evening.
33043A24-56CD-4E0B-A1CB-8BFC3B51026B.jpeg

anyone have any clues as to how to rotate the image?