What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, everything in the Absolute Black range is made with 100% cocoa.
I’m still surprised at how much I like it. Before embarking on this WOE I used to think that even Cadburys Bournville was too dark and bitter.
Oh goody. @DJC3. I must try to track down a bag of buttons for my husband's birthday. He's not diabetic, but really enjoys Montezuma's Absolute Black chocolate.

I've come to the conclusion that the pleasure derived from food is mostly habit. We can break the eating habits of a lifetime if we put our minds to it.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,hope all ok.
Still on our travels, lovely weekend in Milan. V hot but lovely to get some Vit D. Oh how I love Italian food! Hubby was in pizza heaven as he is gluten free and the pizzas there are unsurprisingly far and away the best he has had.Italy brilliant for GF. I have been very good, low carb breakfasts of eggs,cheese, ham and plain yog, not tempted at all by croissants or cake. Salads for lunch and lovely seafood for dinner. Did have about a tablespoon of pistachio gelato but have walked miles. In Ljubljana now in an apartment for a week, just battled with an unfamiliar hob to make a mushroom,ham and cheese omelette with salad. We will see what the week brings!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time and what joy to be able to eat such good low carb food.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
scared to check my bg.
So don't.
It's not like you plan to be eating this type of food regularly, so the information testing gives you won't be very useful.

Testing now will either tell you you have diabetes, which you already know, or it will tell you you're able to deal with more carbs than you fear, which would be cool but still not something you'd regularly use.

It's ok if things sometimes don't go according to plan, remember this is a long haul thing, and today was just a blip.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ravensmitten sorry to hear about the accident and resulting pain, it’s bound to put BG up so I’d do the same in your place and put off my HbA1c for a couple of weeks. You say you’ve beaten addictions before so you can definitely manage this.
My food today has been a bit same and dull. Breakfast was h/m yoghurt&seeds.
Lunch: cold meat and cheese. 25g Hotel chocolate 90%
D: using up tired bits from the fridge: an omelette with a chopped mushroom, bit of cheese and brocolli. There’s a reason why broccoli omelette doesn’t appear on cafe menus. A DGF cake and a few cups of tea with milk during the day.
IMG_1713218539.581316.jpg

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all on this wet and windy day, such a change from yesterday! Monday is lunch club for me so no idea what it will be. I'm taking my very lc mousse as pudding. I have some beetroot and torchon ham for tea so hopefully my level will be down tomorrow morning. I was really good yesterday, lc wise, and it was up but the day before when I hadn't been so good, it was down! I'l get the hang of it one day perhaps. Have a merry monday folks. :joyful:
Have you tried keeping a food diary alongside your BG numbers @RosemaryJackson? It helped me no end.

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Would it help to have plenty of snack like things around?
I find if I'm not at my best, telling myself to have sensible meals can be too hard, but giving myself free range on low carb but naughty feeling snacks can do the trick.

For me eating a bigger meal instead of snacking, something like a plate of meat and eggs will do it (think fried breakfast) and I wont even think of food all day.

Surprisingly my folks and also in laws were pretty decent about food with me while away, in the past I'd had a few comments or battles over food, it's only when I got back home. Think I'm just drained>bad sleep>pain>poor impulses leading to decision making down the drain.

scared to check my bg.

hugs, ate a bowl of granola with yoghurt and broken up chocolate pieces yesterday so feeling similar recently. :bag:

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ravensmitten sorry to hear about the accident and resulting pain, it’s bound to put BG up so I’d do the same in your place and put off my HbA1c for a couple of weeks. You say you’ve beaten addictions before so you can definitely manage this.

Thank you,

Yes, funnily, one of the worst addictions for me was smoking. I brainwashed myself out of it years ago the same way I brainwashed myself into it so I know it can be done and it wasn't nesc a willpower thing for me.

I'm not religious about carbs and I'm lucky enough to keep them moderately low. I do know heart of hearts I need to not be indulging in too much extra sugar right now because it wont be helping at all with everything else will it.

Thank you everyone, just talking about this does help and even being present in this thread helps with motivation, though I'd never want to put that on anyone here if you see what I mean.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blown back from Wales today but did have some good weather until today. Stayed mainly low carb while away but was quite hard to find suitable stuff and need to ask more questions when ordering. For example my tapas chicken wings with parmesan and garlic yesterday evening I did not expect to arrive breaded as they did! Also the oils things cooked in can taste a bit nasty. I had bacon and eggs today and the eggs had been clearly been deep fried and tasted a bit yuk. But don't want to reach stage where I can only eat at home. I'm starting to feel a bit precious and picky.....
did pick up some very reduced purple sprouting broccoli to have with steak and mushrooms this evening at home.
View attachment 67195
Edit walked in wonderful blue bell wood while away so decided time to change my avatar .
Love your new avatar @shelley262. I can smell the glorious scent from here!

Btw. have tulips in flower now.. They were a little later this year, but the above average rainfall has produced more blooms than ever before, so worth waiting for.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Think I'm just drained>bad sleep>pain>poor impulses leading to decision making down the drain.
It happens.
Cut yourself some slack and try to make the best decisions you can with a brain not fully functioning from lack of sleep and pain, and try to look at the good decisions as a win instead of letting the less sensible ones dragging you down!

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It happens.
Cut yourself some slack and try to make the best decisions you can with a brain not fully functioning from lack of sleep and pain, and try to look at the good decisions as a win instead of letting the less sensible ones dragging you down!

True, sometimes I think I need to beat myself up a bit though to keep some semblance of sanity :joyful:

I tend to be quite pessimistically optimistic or something, probably quite absurdist in nature.

obviously there's extremes like with everything though.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all

Sunday

B: Two eggs scrambled in butter with a generous dollop of double cream, sautéed chestnut mushrooms and baby plum tomatoes, all seasoned with black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Aperitif: dry white wine.
Baked whole sea bass, belly stuffed with sprigs of French tarragon and garlic, drizzled with olive oil.
Steamed asparagus spears topped with a knob of butter.
Baked broccoli, leeks, onions, garlic and sweet red peppers.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.
Four squares, Montezuma's Absolute Black 100% cocoa chocolate.

D: Salad made with anchovy fillets, eggs, avocado, lettuce, Padrón chillies, salad onions, lemon verbena and a touch of lemon juice, with a dollop of home-made aioli for dipping, topped with walnut halves.
Water to wash down tablets.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today:

B: Two poached eggs topped with a knob of butter, avocado and four tiger prawns, seasoned with a good grinding of black pepper.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

Baked halloumi and sweet red peppers,
Roast cauliflower with Egyptian duqqah using toasted almonds. hazelnuts, pistachios. sesame, fennel, cumin and coriander seeds.
A small portion of hummus with Kalamata olives
Salad using cucumber, rocket, salad onions, raspberries, strawberry halves and mint, dressed with olive oil, garlic, a touch of lemon juice and topped with toasted sesame seeds.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D: Seafood salad made with brown shrimps, mussels, lettuce, fshredded red cabbage, apple peel, celery, baby plum tomatoes and flat-leaf parsley with a dollop of aioli for dipping, topped with toasted pistachios.
Water to swallow tablets.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks mate. It's a tricky one as it was my elderly father taking off as thought I had cleared the vehicle, total accident, don't know whatever happened to mirror signal manoeuvre though. He felt awful about it and I didn't want to twist the knife.
Well, maybe not compo, but at least some pocket money!
I'm hoping its not as bad as last year, I was out of action for 5 months, couldn't even push the hoover around the house for pain and it was a 14 week wait to get physio. I did ask them last time to send me some videos to carry on good form at home, so I've got a pile of rehab exercises to do which I think will help quicker. will just have to see if it improves with time, what else can you do.
Maybe get one of those robot hoovers. You can just sit back and watch the cat ride on it while it does the work! All the best with the rehab exercises.
I know I shouldn't be putting off my blood tests, but think it will even out the blip a little by kicking the can a little down the road. I do estimate it to be a lot lower than before as my readings got pretty consistent.

good luck with your blood tests though!
Thank you. I'm not gonna worry about the results too much at the moment. I think my HbA1c will be a bit higher, but we'll see.

But at least my local Aldi has re-opened. They've installed self-service tills now. Which is good, because all the people with overflowing shopping carts (their weekly shop of ultra-processed "food") won't bother to use them, which means I get out of there quicker!

Take it easy. Don't worry too much about the numbers, just focus on improving the things that you can. All the best.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Finished yesterday with a few strawberries and double cream - BG was a little lower than I would have liked, going to bed and that was enough to boost it a little.

Just about to put on my sausages for breakfast and have some scrambled egg and some mushrooms to go with them.

2nd meal will be green beans with some toasted cashews, I think.

RosemaryJackson

Morning all. Yesterdays lunch club....small bowl of mushroom soup, pork steak with carrots, cabbage and one ice-cream scoop of potatoes. Forgot to take my pudding so didn't have one. :angelic: 2 crumpets with melted cheese on for tea. Packet of crisps as well. :banghead: Today I have a duck leg, air fried, with lots of green veg. No more crumpets, my friend is having them to stop me being tempted. Probably a couple of boiled eggs for tea. Or scrambled. Not poached because I would have to have them on toast and I have no bread in the house. I'm rambling, so I'll shut up! :rolleyes: Have a nice day all.:)

ravensmitten

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, maybe not compo, but at least some pocket money!

Maybe get one of those robot hoovers. You can just sit back and watch the cat ride on it while it does the work! All the best with the rehab exercises.

Thank you. I'm not gonna worry about the results too much at the moment. I think my HbA1c will be a bit higher, but we'll see.

But at least my local Aldi has re-opened. They've installed self-service tills now. Which is good, because all the people with overflowing shopping carts (their weekly shop of ultra-processed "food") won't bother to use them, which means I get out of there quicker!

Take it easy. Don't worry too much about the numbers, just focus on improving the things that you can. All the best.

Hahaha, I 'owe' him far more, but appreciate the humor! I'll never let him hear the end of it though, in a playful way.

I have to keep moving, I really don't want to lose the range of motion this time, so going easy with tasks. Robot hoover is a good idea though as is a cat too, been playing with the idea for a few years of finding a rescue one, we do get lots of visits from the neighbours cat though I try not to encourage it too much. well maybe a little but am mindful that I don't want to confuse the poor thing. keeps coming over when I cook chicken but wont feed him, wil lsay hi and give a little fuss though.

Nice to know the Aldi's back in commission.

Thanks, of course, you've had a lot on your plate recently, so bound to skew things a bit, can only do what we can I guess.

bacon and eggs for me this morning!

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, @ravensmitten, of course it was as an attempt at a bit of humour.

Regarding the cat thing, my old neighbour used to leave the small (top) kitchen window open when she was cooking. Whenever she roasted a chicken, a nearby cat would get in.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I just had some air-fried chicken legs, followed by some mixed nuts, with a couple of squares of 85% dark chocolate.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is Hunter's chicken another name for chicken cacciatore @RosemaryJackson? If so, I reckon it's fairly low carb.

I lived and worked in the USA for a time before I was married; a wonderful experience which I wouldn't have missed for the world, but I was glad to come home to old Blighty.
Chicken cacciatore is very different. Bone in chicken portions (I tend to use thighs, but legs are good too). Chopped onion, red & yellow peppers, garlic, mushrooms, black olives, crushed tomato, red wine, thyme, oregano, tomato puree, and I like a little chilli flakes in to too. Brown the chicken, then it's a slow cook job in a casserole. Wine needs reducing before it's added to the mix. Lovely with cauliflower rice.

Hunter's chicken is chicken breast wrapped in bacon. You can get mushrooms in it too, but the thing to watch is that there is barbecue sauce in it. Some of the supermarkets put very sweet BBQ sauce on it. It is topped with a cheese mix of grated mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan.

A lot of chicken dishes get made in this household!