What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@RosemaryJackson I didn’t know that about the Military Wives choirs, that’s really interesting, and such a good idea, it must get lonely for the wives.
@MrsA2 I also have a l/c Jaffa cake recipe - I made them once but as you say they are very messy and not really worth the faff I don’t think.
@LivingLightly - I always make mayo too. I use the 60 second method using a whole egg and stick blender. I also make butter mayo ( egg and hot butter) which is heavenly, and makes a good hollandaise sauce when still warm.
Back to todays food-
H/m yoghurt with seeds and coconut flakes
L/c sandwich using slices of Edam as the ‘bread’ filled with salami. 20g Hotel Chocolate 90% to follow.
Others had pizza so I nipped home for a l/c pizza base and made my own, topped with chorizo, mushrooms, jalapeños and olives. DGF raspberry crumble.
Lots of tea with a splash of milk. View attachment 67182
It was Gareth Malone that got the Military Wives Choirs going. There was a wonderful TV series about it a while back. The climax was them performing at the Royal British Legion Festival of Remembrance. There was a song specially written for them - Wherever You Are. It brings tears to your eyes. I doubt it will still be on iPlayer (it was BBC it was on), but it might be on YouTube.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Catch up day today after being away - lots of indoor jobs to do - mind you lots of heavy rain and hail today so made me feel ok about needing to be indoors!
Mid morning small hm kefir
Lunch a few bits of cheese, four LC seeded crackers and small salad. My salad was a mix of avocado, hm sauerkraut and some microgreens. @DJC3 I have been thinking of buying a micrgreens kit like yours but hadn't got round to it so was thrilled yesterday in Waitrose when spotted micrgreens for £2.25 think they will do a few days to improve salads
IMG_20240416_101021 (2024-04-16T16_40_41.000)_kindlephoto-430207892-2.jpg

Cooked a hm tomato, garlic and herb sauce in slow cooker today to use some as a pizza topping and the rest for hm Bolognese tomorrow. @Rachox thank you for recommending the low carb pizza bases from the low carb company. I followed your defrosting and cooking instructions and they worked perfectly. As it looked small and sharing with two of us I also cooked some Cajun chicken to go with it. Think next time I'll cook less chicken and slice one portion to top the pizza. Served with same salad type made at lunch and also had small glass of red wine.
IMG_20240416_161037_kindlephoto-430138798.jpg

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hahaha, I 'owe' him far more, but appreciate the humor! I'll never let him hear the end of it though, in a playful way.

I have to keep moving, I really don't want to lose the range of motion this time, so going easy with tasks. Robot hoover is a good idea though as is a cat too, been playing with the idea for a few years of finding a rescue one, we do get lots of visits from the neighbours cat though I try not to encourage it too much. well maybe a little but am mindful that I don't want to confuse the poor thing. keeps coming over when I cook chicken but wont feed him, wil lsay hi and give a little fuss though.

Nice to know the Aldi's back in commission.

Thanks, of course, you've had a lot on your plate recently, so bound to skew things a bit, can only do what we can I guess.

bacon and eggs for me this morning!
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you manage to keep some movement going despite your pain - it must be difficult. As you say earlier though trying to keep on track as much as possible with managing your carbs is even more important when struggling with other physical issues as well as type 2 diabetes. From various stuff I've read over the years keeping carbs and processed food low can also help lower inflammation and consequently pain management so you may get more improvements from keeping low carb.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Monday 8 April - bed 7.9 FBG 7.3. Meeting a friend who is over from Australia for lunch today. I'm still coughing with this bug, but I was going no matter what.

B. Just TAG

L. Tapas - which was wonderful. Goats cheese - it did have chilli marmalade on it, but not a lot. Chicken done in stock & coriander, squid, peri peri prawns, GF chicken strips with honey and chilli, ham & hollandaise crochetta, celeriac done in creme fraise, creme cheese and herbs. A lot of white wine and a large espresso.

D. Much later - half a keto keto banana bread bar and a small bit of crustless quiche.

Tuesday 9 April - bed 7.7 FBG 7.3

B TAG and 2 slices of SRSLY toast with smashed avocado and poached eggs.

L. Nothing

D. 2 slices of SRSLY bread with ham & mustard and a couple of individual cheese portions. I could still remember the taste of the tapas from yesterday.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a carb killa bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and another carb killa bar.
Dinner: meatballs in tomato and mascarpone sauce with cauliflower, broccoli, mangetout and green beans.

2024-04-16 19.12.46.jpeg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast
Double dancing! Back on schedule after 5 week gap.
Did pop out for a takeaway coffee halfway through, which I shared with hubby...but I'm not used to caffeine...

Did couple of errands on way home.

L: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 thick slice of ham wrapped around guacamole and rocket.

Started wiping cooker but then realised marks were inside the glass... so 3 and a half hours later, 2 triple glazed oven doors removed, insides, every nook and cranny scrubbed, every rack soaked and its still not finished. Didnt realise it had got so bad. Very tired now as its a lot of bending, scrubbing and scraping. Cursing the caffeine, else I might have ignored it.

I was on the move from 09:30 to 17:30! Who needs a gym?

D: venison burger, green beans, small carrot. Coffee icecream with chopped 85% chocolate, a glass white wine with soda. 50g cheese.

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm with you on them. Only in my case it has to be ketchup and mustard on them.
I only had English mustard, and the ketchup squeezed in a weird way, so I had to decant it and try to spread it on. If I'd had any squeezy mustard I'd have had that too. And I would have fried more onions too.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh how I love Italian food! Hubby was in pizza heaven as he is gluten free and the pizzas there are unsurprisingly far and away the best he has had.Italy brilliant for GF. I have been very good, low carb breakfasts of eggs,cheese, ham and plain yog, not tempted at all by croissants or cake. Salads for lunch and lovely seafood for dinner. Did have about a tablespoon of pistachio gelato but have walked miles.
Me too @sueh21. Up against some stiff competition but, forced to choose between the varied cuisines of European countries, Italian food would be without doubt my favourite. Italians know what they're doing with coffee as well!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me eating a bigger meal instead of snacking, something like a plate of meat and eggs will do it (think fried breakfast) and I wont even think of food all day.:bag:
Works for me too @ravensmitten.

So sorry to hear about your accident. You may seize up overnight but, despite the pain, you're wise to keep moving as much as possible during the day; rested but mobile.

Injury can temporarily raise your blood glucose as you realise, so I’d certainly delay your HbA1c test.
All the best.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a book where I write all my foods but must admit, there are one or two gaps
Well done @RosemaryJackson, you're on the right track. You don't need special equipment apart from your meter and a good supply of strips. If you can keep this up for a couple of weeks without gaps, you may begin to see a pattern and, barring illness or injury, your BG readings should start to make sense.

Remember to take alcoholic beverages into account as these can easily muddy the water.

This record keeping may seem tedious, but helped me no end to understand what was going on,
so well worth doing, IMO.

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Chicken cacciatore is very different. Bone in chicken portions (I tend to use thighs, but legs are good too). Chopped onion, red & yellow peppers, garlic, mushrooms, black olives, crushed tomato, red wine, thyme, oregano, tomato puree, and I like a little chilli flakes in to too. Brown the chicken, then it's a slow cook job in a casserole. Wine needs reducing before it's added to the mix. Lovely with cauliflower rice.

Hunter's chicken is chicken breast wrapped in bacon. You can get mushrooms in it too, but the thing to watch is that there is barbecue sauce in it. Some of the supermarkets put very sweet BBQ sauce on it. It is topped with a cheese mix of grated mozzarella, cheddar, and parmesan.

A lot of chicken dishes get made in this household!
Thank you so much @maglil55, Both creations sound tasty!

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tuesday:

B: Two poached eggs smothered with butter and avocado seasoned with black pepper plus a wedge of Teifi (pronounced Tavey) Welsh unpasturised cow's milk cheese.
Water to swallow tablet.
Espresso.

L: Wild Alaskan salmon baked with calabrese broccoli, chestnut mushrooms, double cream and lemon verbena.
Steamed samphire and mangetout with a knob of butter.
Water to drink.
Skipped pud.

D Seafood salad using tiger prawns, brown shrimps, rocket, baby plum tomatoes, celery, Romano peppers, cucumber, Halkidiki olives and salad onions, dressed with an olive oil, balsamic and garlic vinaigrette, topped with toasted pistachio nuts.
Water to wash down tablets.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Message from the mod team

Hi guys, mods have noticed there’s quite a number of posts that are now and again taking the thread off topic, we appreciate that you are supporting each other and it’s great to see that forum members have support of others when needed and we don’t want to stifle that, but this thread is primarily to share what you’ve eaten so that others can get ideas and inspiration.

New members are often directed to the thread to get ideas of what to eat but when the chat overtakes the purpose of the thread then it becomes difficult for other forum members to navigate. By all means post a little about your day but please keep the thread on topic by posting “what you have eaten today”

There is another thread that’s active in which you can chat freely here https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/what-have-you-eaten-parallel-chat.177870/

Thanks for your understanding guys

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just had breakfast - a kind of meatzza using the beef mince that I cooked a day or so ago, 2 eggs, with half a large tomato chopped up plus a spoonful of peas and topped with some cheddar and some mozzarella. I ate half of it and am pretty full now so will keep the other half until tomorrow.

2nd meal is planned to be salmon with lemon and green beans.