Now the X-PERT advice is low carb, high fat

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I do believe it takes courage and conviction to admit you have changed your mind. Especially when the new beliefs conflict with the " official" view , and that official view is held by the organisation that employs you as a contracter.

With all new thinking ( and even with the return of old thinking ) it takes time to make changes. I doubt that it will happen quickly as the NHS never does move very fast at the best of times. It is more likely to be gradual rather than announce the high carb/low fat is based on no evidence, or flawed evidence.

I salute you, Trudi. It is a brave thing you have done.

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree. Things were never going to change overnight. Years of brainwashing regarding low fat and carbs need to be altered. The important thing is she realised she was wrong and had the strength of character to publicly say so. Change will happen but it will be slow. The important thing is people are now starting to listen and take LCHF lifestyle's seriously.

Reactions: 7 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I don't eat to her new book, so it doesn't affect me, but I would be irritated being taught a method that was being sold by someone that had come out publicly and said it was actually harmful.
Particularly after the event.

Maybe her hands are tied, but I'd still be a tad upset.
Possibly the altruistic answer is to plough the booksales back into re-educating all her past customers into the correct diet free of charge?
Or pull the contact with the NHS now?

“If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.”
Marcus Aurelius

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I've been speaking to a lot of patients this week at an exhibition. The majority now don't know who or what to believe.. Largely because of the media. I have been so surprised. Every single person we have spoken to is either diabetic or has a relative that is.

It is really concerning that the vast majority just don't know how to eat proper food. Youngsters that don't know how to cook! It has been staggering. I have another 2 days at the exhibition and I really don't think patients are going to say anything different.

How can any one person over ride the media's attention from all the other fad diets to a completely reversed campaign for lifestyles??

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat to her new book, so it doesn't affect me, but I would be irritated being taught a method that was being sold by someone that had come out publicly and said it was actually harmful.
Particularly after the event.

Maybe her hands are tied, but I'd still be a tad upset.
Possibly the altruistic answer is to plough the booksales back into re-educating all her past customers into the correct diet free of charge?
Or pull the contact with the NHS now?

Nice altruistic view there Douglas. Next time I need any work done at home, I'll have you do it, because then as standards and regulations change, I'll know you'll be battering down the door to upgrade or replace the work free of charge.

Result!

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
I wonder when the new edition of the manual (v11 I believe) will be coming out as the version on the website appears to still be v 10?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Which exhibition is it?

Its only a lical exhibition in our library plus, but it has been really good.
We have a local chemist doing tests for diabetes and blood pressure, law society, our MP, our practice, ramblers, alzheimers and gym and more trying to raise awareness of health and wellbeing for our town.

Its a really good event. When talking to people it is amazing just how prevalent diabetes is. From our volunteers of 8 persons. Only 3 aren't diabetic ( 2 of us are T1) and the 3 that aren't diabetic all have hubbies or someone related with diabetes. Then we have persons talking to us that are exactly the same.

There hasn't been one person that is not diabetic, or has a relative or a close friend.

Diabetes co uk has been a great help to us with information etc... So has macmillan.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I wonder when the new edition of the manual (v11 I believe) will be coming out as the version on the website appears to still be v 10?
I have ordered it with my "Eat Fat" - insisting on V.11

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm really happy that at last an educator for diabetics and she has seen the light.
The overweighting evidence and success stories on this forum has finally found an ally who will spread the gospel of low carbing to those who want to listen to good advice! That's brilliant!

If you don't know I'm not diabetic.
However a very very low carb diet or lifestyle was the only way forward for my condition.
I couldn't ingest carbs without a really bad reaction and constant hypos.
What I want to suggest at the end of this thread is that low carb doesn't only apply to diabetics.
If you have a read through the success stories of posters from ages ago to the present, the overriding information for getting your body healthier for not just your blood glucose levels, but BP, cholestrol, liver function, kidney function and heart health and in general. Once weight & blood glucose levels normalised then better health all round was very noticeable!
If the dieticians ever needed proof that low carb works, they only have to visit the forum to witness the remarkable success low carb has had on diabetics who have adopted it and experienced it!

Even if it's only diabetics for now, once the medical industry realise it's benefits it will eventually adopt it for many conditions. It may take time but who'd have thought last summer, there would be a thread about an educator advocating low carbing on the NHS?

Reactions: 13 people

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Now a high fat diet does not cause obesity as we know from the many members here who have lost weight following LCHF. .

Really? How about all the members here who have not lost weight with a lchf diet? Either it works or it doesnt or maybe it works for some and not for others but there are lots of members here who have reported that they have not lost weight or that their weight loss has stalled with lchf.

And as for high fat not causing obesity I just dont agree with that statement at all, fat has twice the calories of other food groups and if someone eats too much fat they WILL gain weight its that simple, the only way to lose weight is by cutting calories be they cals from carbs, protein or fat if you eat too many you will never lose weight.

How many people in prisoner of war prison camps put on weight? is that because they ate a lc diet? No of course not it was because they were starved of food and therefore calories, in fact most of the food they did eat was carbs in one form or another.

Dont believe everything that is stated is truth on the internet, much of it is rubbish.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Dont believe everything that is stated is truth on the internet, much of it is rubbish.

lol you got that right!

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Really? How about all the members here who have not lost weight with a lchf diet? Either it works or it doesnt or maybe it works for some and not for others but there are lots of members here who have reported that they have not lost weight or that their weight loss has stalled with lchf.

The main reason some people here don't lose weight on LCHF is because they haven't got the balance right. Basically, they are eating either too many carbs with the high fat, or more fat than they need to balance the loss of carbs. Some are also eating too little fat with low carb. This puts the body in starvation mode and slows down/stops weight loss. It is the balance that is important. Get the balance right and you lose weight. I lost 31% of my weight, and have now increased my fats to stop losing any more.

Reactions: 12 people

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

And as for high fat not causing obesity I just dont agree with that statement at all, fat has twice the calories of other food groups and if someone eats too much fat they WILL gain weight its that simple, the only way to lose weight is by cutting calories be they cals from carbs, protein or fat if you eat too many you will never lose weight.

How many people in prisoner of war prison camps put on weight? is that because they ate a lc diet? No of course not it was because they were starved of food and therefore calories, in fact most of the food they did eat was carbs in one form or another.

So how many have not lost weight sticking with LCHF then Sid ? Compare that with the numbers of people that HAVE lost weight and gained much tighter BG control. I think we all agree that no one diet will suit all but LCHF works for the vast majority. I appreciate it doesn't work for you but no reason to rubbish it because of that. I find it so frustrating when I see advice churned out time and again saying "eat to your meter" or "test and see what works for you" but only a very small percentage of T2's are provided with a BG monitor and strips. Therefore, to advise LCHF makes total sense. Hopefully, if they can self fund a meter or are lucky enough to be provided with one they can adjust to suit. In the meantime, lots of people come here for advice and want to be told how to improve things. What they don't need is someone advising them what NOT to do, they want advice. Where is your evidence that foods high in fat causes obesity ? You seem to be confused about the term "high fat". It doesn't mean vast quantities of fatty foods, it means eating foods with a high fat content. As for your prisoner of war analogy, I think that's rather in poor taste. They were very thin and malnourished because they were deprived of all types of food in general. This was not by choice and was nothing to do with carbs, fats or proteins. It was punishment and brutality.

Reactions: 16 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables

Really!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I had never heard of LCHF, but started to low carb and increase fats on my own. My BG's stayed stable for around 2 years but I only lost 7 pounds in all that time. Why? Because I wasn't doing it correctly. I had worked out this diet myself to improve my BG's. Through reading more and more about LCHF I realised I needed to eat even fewer carbs and a lot more fat, then the weight started to move again even though I was consuming more calories. As has been stated time and again on this forum - all calories are not equal.

I would say though, that even though I only lost 7 pounds in 2 years doing my own version of LCHF, previously I had been gaining weight at a rate of 7 pounds a year, so even cutting carbs only to the extent I tried initially was still a lot better than the low fat diets I had tried before.

I don't need to believe the internet because I believe what I have seen with my own eyes.

Reactions: 10 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think we need to hear from the people that haven't lost weight?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we need to hear from the people that haven't lost weight?

I've requested their input on another thread (I did stipulate that they have some kind of evidence that they actually tried the diet properly, and didn't lose weight, rather than just criticising it without living it)

The response was a stunningly empty silence.

I would still like to hear from them, though. If they exist.

Reactions: 4 people