What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have missed a day! Oopsie!
Anyway today I’ve had:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Light and Free lemon Greek style yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid-afternoon: lemon chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: fat head pizza topped with sour cream, chicken, mushrooms and red onion with salad followed by strawberries and vanilla Oppo.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant result on being discharged, very pleased for you. Hope the migraines will not recur, could it be the LCHF that has helped maybe? Thankfully I don’t suffer with them and don’t suffer with headaches very often, since started low carb I don’t recall having any?!

Thanks. I completely credit the Keto diet with the disappearance of migraines. I was treating 6-8 a month on diagnosis. They gradually declined as I started Keto. The consultant did say that there is some evidence of the diet helping them.

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Amazing news about your migraines @Goonergal. So interesting what this diet can help with!

Against my better judgement today I ate a large chocolate chip cookie. Was amazed to find my sugars only raised by 1 mmol/L after 2 hours. Hope this is a good sign of progress, although I have no comparison of what a cookie would have done before diagnosis. It seemed like a very small rise considering the carb/sugar content anyway! The cookies are now gone so no more temptation lol.

L: CiaoCarb protobun with chicken, sausage and bacon mayonnaise
D: Chicken wrapped in cheese and bacon, brie, garlic broccoli rice
Snacks: Chocolate chip cookie.
Cold brew coffee with a drop of Califia Farms' unsweetened vanilla almond milk.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bed 7 FBG 7.5 - was sweltering last night (and still is).
B. DD Keto pancakes

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-pancakes-berries-whipped-cream

Changed this a little. Added a teaspoon of xylitol and had them with raspberries and natural yoghurt.
L. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream
D. Another DD the chipolte pork chop with green beans and avocado

https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chops-green-beans-avocado

No 2 had another transition day at school. Think I took the wrong boy he was so well behaved.

All this talk of puppies reminded me of another MIL saying - Marion sells hundreds of puppies!

(Poppies) !

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

@shelley262 thanks for the info on freezing the chocolate olive oil cake. Very useful to know.

Another hungry day for me.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - smoked salmon with a couple of mini-tubs Philadelphia

Dinner - had planned cod loin but it just wasn’t going to cut it. Needed meat and plenty of it. Everything in freezer so went to a local Lebanese cafe for lamb sharwama and salad, followed by dessert at home of cream mixed with almond butter and chocolate.

Hoping appetite will return to normal soon.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Another puppy day but he was a bit calmer today thankfully - think he may have sensed our nervousness yesterday! Not quite as hectic but lots of fun playing and lots of running around.
Breakfast one boiled egg and one slice of low carb bread
Lunch one slice of low carb bread with mackerel pate followed by choc olive oil cake
Dinner slow cooked beef shin with cauliflower cheese and asparagus followed by low carb raspberry mousse about to have coffee and one square of 90% choc.

Reactions: DJC3 and ianpspurs

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Another puppy day but he was a bit calmer today thankfully - think he may have sensed our nervousness yesterday! Not quite as hectic but lots of fun playing and lots of running around.
Breakfast one boiled egg and one slice of low carb bread
Lunch one slice of low carb bread with mackerel pate followed by choc olive oil cake
Dinner slow cooked beef shin with cauliflower cheese and asparagus followed by low carb raspberry mousse about to have coffee and one square of 90% choc.
Sounds like a perfect day on all levels Shelley, well done.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just had a very tasty and filling evening meal, Joseph’s low carb pitta, (much more palatable than the low carb bagels) topped with grilled bacon, mushrooms, chicken hot dogs, omelette and low sugar tomato ketchup and a sprinkle of grated mozzarella, stuffed now

Breakfast was a slice of livlife toasted with peanut butter
Lunch was salad leaves (watercress, spinach and rocket) peppers, tomatoes, gherkins, soft cheese with salmon and mayo
Snack of salami crisps and cream cheese

Attachments

• FEEA77A2-8BDE-45C8-B4EB-CDF7021FCF2B.jpeg
    FEEA77A2-8BDE-45C8-B4EB-CDF7021FCF2B.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 340
  • 93B1206C-B6D9-47E5-8F16-6552256A503E.jpeg
    93B1206C-B6D9-47E5-8F16-6552256A503E.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: Goonergal

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone point me in the right direction for the chocolate olive oil cake please? :)

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It’s a Nigella recipe

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/chocolate_olive_oil_cake_44817
Just use erythritol instead of sugar. I also separate my eggs whisk whites and fold in at end. Whole cake is 18g of carbs.
I now split it into two loaf tins cooked for same time as quite deep and then freeze one as it’s rich.
Enjoy
Thank you Shelley,
Got the recipe and copied it to my copy me that app, my mouth is watering already, can’t wait to try it.

Last edited:

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone. No two days follow the same eating pattern at the moment. I think there is a kind of plan involving as far into keto as I feel comfortable wading. I would feel more comfortable if the bg readings were as unambiguous as some fellow members'. Menu below

B: 1 pint mug tea 1 with h/m almond milk. Might have had breakfast but slept late again so a bit rushed for my “pathetic old men’s” swimming class
MMS: 2 pint mugs tea with h/m almond milk
L: Livelife sandwich with cold pork from last night and crackling;Mug filter coffee and double cream
MAS: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk; Lemon drizzle cake with clotted cream (cake had been in the fridge for 3 weeks but fine) ; Homemade High fibre toffee bar;
D: Gammon hock salad with olive oil and cider vinegar vinaigrette; Chia seeds and psyllium husk powder mix; Glass red wine; Going to try a little cheese, maybe a few walnuts, some bourbon Irish whiskey and my metformin close to bedtime

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening everyone. No two days follow the same eating pattern at the moment. I think there is a kind of plan involving as far into keto as I feel comfortable wading. I would feel more comfortable if the bg readings were as unambiguous as some fellow members'. Menu below

B: 1 pint mug tea 1 with h/m almond milk. Might have had breakfast but slept late again so a bit rushed for my “pathetic old men’s” swimming class
MMS: 2 pint mugs tea with h/m almond milk
L: Livelife sandwich with cold pork from last night and crackling;
MAS: 2 pint mugs tea with homemade almond milk; Lemon drizzle cake with clotted cream (cake had been in the fridge for 3 weeks but fine) ; Homemade High fibre toffee bar
D: Gammon hock salad with olive oil and cider vinegar vinaigrette; Chia seeds and psyllium husk powder mix; Glass red wine; Going to try a little cheese, maybe a few walnuts, some bourbon and my metformin close to bedtime

You drink an amazing amount of tea! Keto should definitely help with your BG readings.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You drink an amazing amount of tea!
Strangely, I drink quite a bit less these days :angelic: I get the theory of keto but am very wary of effect of loss of fibre and vegetables from dipping below 30-40 gms carb daily. Also wary of impact on cholesterol - I would want to be in 20's HbA1C for a trade off personally. Actually, edited menu today had 2 less pints of tea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goonergal