What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

purplepenguin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Soooo late with my eating!

Yesterday
L - Roast lamb, runner beans and tenderstem broccoli
D - chicken breast with skin on. cheese sauce. 1 square 90% chocolate

Sugars are all over the place again, my fault for my fall from the wagon on Saturday. Woke up today with 11.1!!!!!!! It will only go up until lunch time too. Not happy as I ate nothing that was a problem yesterday.

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
IMHO best way for a veg patch is to build raised beds and create customised soil. Basically after preparing each bed almost no work each year to replant - 10 minutes each spring raking over per bed. Probably easy to build over the top of what is there already - also useful for burying rubble as base drainage.

I will show this to Mr C as the hard work will all be down to him. Thank you

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2nd version of flaxseed bread made using a 1 pound loaf tin not 2 pound tin. Much better product but still unsure about the more doughy bottom compared to really bread like top. Will try again with slightly less water unless some of you expert bakers have other ideas for my good lady - or Mrs P if needed:angelic: could the problem be that we are using the fan oven - we have other ovens so we will try a different one.

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Goodness!
Good to see you after all this time. :D
Hope you are well?
Wow!! Long time no see!

Hope all is well in your world.

Haha! Yes, I'm back from the wilderness! Got slightly fed up of the bickering over carb vs low carb; also my daughter was born and I dropped working on the National Diabetes Audit and X-PERT work dried up. So diabetes-related stuff fell off the radar for a bit.

I see there's a few other regulars that have gone - Noblehead in particular, plus Riri, Dilnger and a few others...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Haha! Yes, I'm back from the wilderness! Got slightly fed up of the bickering over carb vs low carb; also my daughter was born and I dropped working on the National Diabetes Audit and X-PERT work dried up. So diabetes-related stuff fell off the radar for a bit.

I see there's a few other regulars that have gone - Noblehead in particular, plus Riri, Dilnger and a few others...

Congratulations on becoming a new father. My memory may not be serving me well, but your first, I think? I can see how that would have absorbed a whole bunch of time, but never mind, just another 30 or 40 years to go. :)

I must admit I was wondering if you were still working on the National Diabetes Audit. That sounded like very interesting work, but sometimes it just can't all fit into what life throws us.

My fairly regular comment about the forum is it has a revolving door. One might step out, but should there be a desire to return, there's usually a doorway comes along in a few seconds.

Anyway, nice to see you back. Hopefully we'll see more of you.

Reactions: Brunneria and SamJB

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations on becoming a new father. My memory may not be serving me well, but your first, I think? I can see how that would have absorbed a whole bunch of time, but never mind, just another 30 or 40 years to go. :)

I must admit I was wondering if you were still working on the National Diabetes Audit. That sounded like very interesting work, but sometimes it just can't all fit into what life throws us.

My fairly regular comment about the forum is it has a revolving door. One might step out, but should there be a desire to return, there's usually a doorway comes along in a few seconds.

Anyway, nice to see you back. Hopefully we'll see more of you.
Thanks...it's good to be back! Yep, finished with the NDA a year ago - just didn't have the time to commit to it, unfortunately.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Getting desperate now 3rd attempt at the flaxseed bread. Amazing crust and taste but middle very doughy because not risen as video promised - any ideas? @Mbaker do you just follow the quantities, temperature and timings from the video? The taste is amazing and I can live with that doughy middle but I am pretty sure it can be sorted out just not sure how. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: Just switched to the youtube version and lots of comments exactly the same so Mrs P now doesn't feel so bad but still very miffed.

Last edited:

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Getting desperate now 3rd attempt at the flaxseed bread. Amazing crust and taste but middle very doughy because not risen as video promised - any ideas? @Mbaker do you just follow the quantities, temperature and timings from the video? The taste is amazing and I can live with that doughy middle but I am pretty sure it can be sorted out just not sure how. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh: Just switched to the youtube version and lots of comments exactly the same so Mrs P now doesn't feel so bad but still very miffed.
Sounds like a lower temperature and longer in the oven is required?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs @shelley262

Quick question about the high fibre chocolate bars. Would using ground chia seeds in place of ground flaxseed work? I have some of the former, but not the latter (and no means of grinding my whole flaxseed). Thanks!

Mini loaf mould ordered from Lakeland and to be collected later...

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs @shelley262

Quick question about the high fibre chocolate bars. Would using ground chia seeds in place of ground flaxseed work? I have some of the former, but not the latter (and no means of grinding my whole flaxseed). Thanks!

@Goonergal Personally, I don't think the chia seeds would taste sweet enough nor produce the same texture when mixed with inulin. I only tend to use chia seeds as sala toppings these days. I have made jam with them in days past. Mind you, I know nothing about this WOE so don't trust me

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal Personally, I don't think the chia seeds would taste sweet enough nor produce the same texture when mixed with inulin. I only tend to use chia seeds as sala toppings these days. I have made jam with them in days past. Mind you, I know nothing about this WOE so don't trust me

Thanks. It was the consistency I was thinking about. I also don’t have inulin, but will leave that out.

Just summoning up the energy to get to Lakeland - already over 28k steps today.

Reactions: DJC3

GrumpyOldPhart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Example holiday food diary!

Fortunate to be in Cyprus where low carb is relatively easy.

Breakfast: thick Greek yoghurt with fruit - drizzle of honey. Wholemeal toast if I fancy it and am still hungry

Lunch: masses of salad, cheese, cold meats, olives

Dinner: last night was grilled halloumi to start, then swordfish with veg.

Snacking: mainly nuts, especially pistachios

I have conceded to an ice cream every day - I'm on holiday after all! Photo is Paphos harbour at sunset View attachment 28172
Green with envy: I want to go & live there!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can’t give you the @nswer for this but am wondering about something else have you ever used fibre flour? I believe that you are planning to have a few more carbs? This flour works with yeast and is lower carb but not very very low. I used it for chapatis and it was excellent I just stopped using it because I was keto but have considered giving it another go and operating portion control this recipe says it’s 9g of carb per 100g suppose it’s how small you make your rolls
https://www.lonjevity-foods.com/multiseed-bread
Like all things low carb it isn’t cheap! But as you can use yeast it may produce results you want take a look and see what you think

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone
Nothing special to update on today, morning was office based then lunchtime 60 mike drive to deliver some training, thankfully this went well so drive home was pleasant enough and managed to miss the traffic.
B coffee with cream and 2 egg bakes with ham, cheese and tomato
L remaining half of the quiche from yesterday, small pack of pork scratchings
PhD smart bar on drive home
Cappuccino when I got home, my partner was home and had it making as I walked through the door, lovely treat
D asparagus wrapped in bacon, another quiche made as the lo dough needed to be eaten and they are so quick and easy to make, 2 hot dog sausages wrapped in bacon and a couple of mushrooms

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs @shelley262

Hi not sure about chia seed as it’s much more gelatinous than flaxseed/linseed. I buy a lot of ground flaxseed/linseed because of my seed crackers and love the stuff. One thing I’ve noticed that ground linseed is much cheaper than flaxseed but think it’s identical! So buy big bags of ground linseed as it’s cheaper. I love the choc fibre bars but wonder too that the inulin is probably essential for the caramel but not sure just know I used it but I have inulin for my lemon drizzle plus in my morning coffee to add fibre it works for me!
Sure you won’t regret the mini loaf tins I now use them for my cakes as can freeze small portions and also for clafoutis not stopped using it since bought. Hope works out for you

Reactions: ianpspurs

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian have been dipping in and out of this thread and wondering if the flaxseed bread is the Helmsley x2 recipe for flaxseed rolls. It may not be but I have assembled the ingredients for that recipe and am going to give them a trial tomo.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi not sure about chia seed as it’s much more gelatinous than flaxseed/linseed. I buy a lot of ground flaxseed/linseed because of my seed crackers and love the stuff. One thing I’ve noticed that ground linseed is much cheaper than flaxseed but think it’s identical! So buy big bags of ground linseed as it’s cheaper. I love the choc fibre bars but wonder too that the inulin is probably essential for the caramel but not sure just know I used it but I have inulin for my lemon drizzle plus in my morning coffee to add fibre it works for me!
Sure you won’t regret the mini loaf tins I now use them for my cakes as can freeze small portions and also for clafoutis not stopped using it since bought. Hope works out for you
@shelley262 Thanks for the bread link. It is the flaxseed bread we want to work in particular rather than bread per se, The extra carbs i want to come from veg and some home grown fruit - mainly apples. The key to the toffee/caramel flavour, @Goonergal, IMHO is the inulin both mixed in with flaxseed and made into toffee. I am sure when mixed with chia seeds it would make a gelatinous mixture.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Ian have been dipping in and out of this thread and wondering if the flaxseed bread is the Helmsley x2 recipe for flaxseed rolls. It may not be but I have assembled the ingredients for that recipe and am going to give them a trial tomo.
Hi @PenguinMum , no the Hemsley x 2 recipe is one we have used a fair bit it has eggs and baking power from memory This one has flaxseed and water plus some salt but nothing else. I really like the Hemsley sisters version lots, it freezes well. I actually have both Hemslay books and have tried to adapt several recipes.