What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie: 'muesli' - small amount oats, desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, pecans and a few defrosted previously frozen strawberries (more of what happened to the rest of them later)

Lunch: breakfast in a pan (all fried together because I'm lazy and I hate dishwashing) bacon, eggs, tomato and mushrooms

Dinner: not really hungry so I had a small bowl of cocktail sausages and a bit of cheese (weird). Maybe I was subconsciously saving myself for another King Creation - this time strawberry cheesecake - another recipe from Sugar Free Londoner, here https://sugarfreelondoner.com/no-bake-low-carb-strawberry-cheesecake-gluten-free/ very, very good. The recipe made FAR too much filling to the extent that I had enough for another bowlful. It's just like a mousse, so nice with some berries. I haven't had a flop with any recipes from this website!

View attachment 31412
That cheesecake looks divine...... I am going to make that over the weekend.

Reactions: zauberflote

AngiH

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm on my second piece! It's very light tasting and not too sweet. My sweet tooth packed its bags when I started low carbing, and I find some things almost unbearable now!
I must admit I too don't have such a need for the sweet stuff now, but it's always nice to be able to have a treat or be able to make something for guests as well as me
Enjoy that 2nd slice.

Reactions: zauberflote

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Glad to see you are "back on the wagon" and thank you so much for making it crystal clear I am not the only one with reservations. I tend to not eat breakfast anymore as it tends to just make me hungry after an hour or two. Really fine line for me between the inedible and ineligible. It is also highly likely that any solution for one of us would either not work or cause problems for the other. Best of luck with your efforts to find a way to suit you and perhaps I will continue to access this thread to see your progress.

@ianpspurs if that up there is you talking about not being here very often, gotta say I love your posts and would miss you very much!!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all hope everyone has had a good day and managed to get some sun. Here in the West it was quite hot this pm.
Very busy day again for me including an early visit to gym - must say enjoying it and planning to go tomorrow. Meant that missed breakfast and lunch too busy rushing around.
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, roast celeriacand squash, asparagus followed by thin slice of lc lemon cake with a bit of soya yoghurt it’s 2.3g of carb but all from added sugar! ( a trial - had to mix a bit of cream in to adjust, as I did with an almond milk coffee trial today I’ll stick at it for a bit and use up what I bought but not sure I’ll be buying again will see!)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Nice and sunny here also @shelley262 - had a walk down the prom and then called into the butcher to get some chicken livers.
Nothing to eat today until dinner. Not hungry and I also broke my Carnivour diet today.
So; a thick beef broth stew with onion, garlic, chili, a bit of broccoli, a bit of spinach, a mushroom and a mashed up anchovie for a bit of oooh-marmie and topped with pan fried chicken livers.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Just venting here. Evidently my WOE has barely budged my HbA1c. From my 6.5 to my 6.4. Evidently my meter has consistently read up to 20% lower than actual, throwing off all math calculations drawn from its numbers.. Or, lab is not trustworthy.
Same blood draw gave 6.4 and BG 104. My own BG meter 3 minutes before that had read 123 (higher than I’d expected. Do cold fingers affect the blood running in their capillaries?). “Moving in the right direction” they say. “Have you changed your diet?” they say. “The blood doesn’t lie” they say. Of course it doesn’t! I don’t dispute my blood, I have reason to dispute what the lab did with it.
Time for a new meter or three. I am, shall we say, distressed. Ticked off in stronger terms.
Thanks all for listening.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good evening folks. Hope you all had fulfilling and uplifting days in all manner of ways. I enjoyed spring like weather and freedom of movement so all good there. Tea and cocoa util about 1.30 then 2 of our eggs poached on smashed avocado perched on toasted black bread. Evening meal was avocado, mackerel (tinned) and 1 egg salad with half a fennel bulb which added flavour. Image hopefully shows scale of my salads (that is a serving bowl for family pasta meal) - usually for lunch.
Highlight today was 50 mins cutting a couple of lawns in February - never before - may do the others tomorrow plus have the huge bonfire Julie wants. @zauberflote vent away. My lab numbers are a long way from my finger prick tests and so are a few others. Very frustrating I agree. re cream cheese - I am happy to stick a finger in the tub and eat it as is or use a spoon for being posh. When it crops up in bread/pizza bases or baked goods my eyes just roll.

Attachments

• Salad2.jpeg
    Salad2.jpeg
    92 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening everyone. Spent the afternoon singing along to Annie - wish I could visit the theatre every week. It’s my favourite thing to do and love now my daughter is old enough to share some shows with me!
Well done @Chook on an incredible fast. @zauberflote sorry your bloods aren’t what you expect. It seems it happens to a fair number of people on here - doesn’t make it easier I know but venting sure helps me at least feel less worked up so vent away!

Breakfast - coffee and the usual protein peanut & chocolate bar
No lunch
Dinner - what is becoming my go to bacon and mushroom dd casserole - and a massive portion of it! With 2 pork sausages on the side And then 2 squares green & blacks mint chocolate

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Stuck indoors in this lovely mild weather as I’m still on strict sofa/bed rest :(
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: peanut Phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: bolognese with courgetti followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks. I didn't post last night just because I was feeling a bit 'meh' about stuff. I just been feeling a bit it low and uninspired. I realise I'm not the one with diabetes, but is it possible to get "burn out" as a supportive partner? I think that might be what I have....I'm just a bit tired and fed up of everything. Whilst I mostly love how our lives have changed (far healthier, more energy, appreciating nature more, nice new clothes...), there are certain things that I really miss. I think it's particularly the case when I'm tired and stressed.:(

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm not normally one for navel gazing! To psych myself up for fasting soon, I skipped lunch today. It was actually very surprising. Before LC days, I'd dabbled with 5:2. I could only ever manage it if I missed breakfast and effectively was OMAD on those days. This morning I had chia pudding for breakfast, but wasn't hungry at all during the day. Truth be told, I think I could have just skipped dinner, as I wasn't ravenous. This would never have happened in my old 5:2 days. Anyway, the plan tomorrow is to skip breakfast and lunch. We'll see if I decide to go the full 24 hours tomorrow. Let's hope this kickstarts the weight loss again!

Breakfast: Orange blossom chia pudding. Coffee with cream.
Lunch: Nothing for me, just black coffee. Mr B had mozzarella, prosciutto, salad leaves, seeds, pesto.
Dinner: Spicy Chicken marinaded with Garam Masala, lemon juice, garlic, ginger, Greek yoghurt. Avocado, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and a tiny amount of onion. Spicy swede 'chips'. Yoghurt and lime pickle dip. SF Jelly and 1 tbsp of cream. One square of 85% chocolate. Decaf cappuccino with almond milk and cream.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit late posting as had to rush to Pilates straight after dinner. Wore a splint on my painful thumb - thanks @Chook for the advice - which really helped.

Sunny here too - work is getting in the way of being outside! Planning an early arrival tomorrow so can have a long canal walk home in the afternoon.

@Chook congratulations on your fast and great that it’s helped your psoriasis and arthritis.

@shelley262 let me know if you want some company on your 48 hour fast next week. Would be happy to join in. Like others have said, it’s getting past missing the evening meal that’s the biggest hurdle. Glad you’re enjoying the gym.

@zauberflote hugs for A1C higher than testing suggests - seems to be very common on the forum (me included) and for me emphasises the importance of personal testing.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling. Didn’t quite HTS so a 25g bag of almonds to top up.

Dinner was M&S Arbroath kippers followed by almond butter mixed with extra thick Jersey cream and 2 squares Lindt 90%.

Something has happened this week - belt has been wanting to move in a notch without quite getting there, so weekly weigh in will be interesting tomorrow.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Lesson learned!! :wideyed: After fasting reintroduce food VERY slowly otherwise there are... gastric repercussions. Especially with veg. :dead:

BibaBee

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Kingmidas Your cheesecake looks amazing! I'm definitely going to Copy Me That the recipe
@zauberflote Sending hugs your way. Sorry to here of your disappointment with your blood tests.
@ianpspurs I love raw fennel in salads. I made one recently with avocado, fennel, shaved Parmesan, EVO and lemon. It was lovely.
@Chook I'm so impressed by your fasting!

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Bit late posting as had to rush to Pilates straight after dinner. Wore a splint on my painful thumb - thanks @Chook for the advice - which really helped.

Sunny here too - work is getting in the way of being outside! Planning an early arrival tomorrow so can have a long canal walk home in the afternoon.

@Chook congratulations on your fast and great that it’s helped your psoriasis and arthritis.

@shelley262 let me know if you want some company on your 48 hour fast next week. Would be happy to join in. Like others have said, it’s getting past missing the evening meal that’s the biggest hurdle. Glad you’re enjoying the gym.

@zauberflote hugs for A1C higher than testing suggests - seems to be very common on the forum (me included) and for me emphasises the importance of personal testing.

Lunch today was M&S Serrano ham and manchego cheese rollitos and a bag of their pork crackling. Didn’t quite HTS so a 25g bag of almonds to top up.

Dinner was M&S Arbroath kippers followed by almond butter mixed with extra thick Jersey cream and 2 squares Lindt 90%.

Something has happened this week - belt has been wanting to move in a notch without quite getting there, so weekly weigh in will be interesting tomorrow.
Yes please re company on the fast. I’m planning on fasting from after an early dinner on Tuesday next week and then not eating until dinner on Thursday. OH and youngest are spending time together on the Wednesday evening including dinner out so no cooking needed! Hoping this will make it easier. Currently thinking mainly green tea and water but with a few coffee and creams? What do you think?
Pleased splint helpingyourthumb. Good luck with weighin sounds like you are getting thinner and or changing shape well done.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote my HbA1c is quite a bit higher than my finger prick average too. It is so disappointing isn’t it? I’m really feeling for you. There are reasons why this discrepancy can occur but it doesn’t make it any less disappointing when you get the results.

Reactions: dunelm

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes please re company on the fast. I’m planning on fasting from after an early dinner on Tuesday next week and then not eating until dinner on Thursday. OH and youngest are spending time together on the Wednesday evening including dinner out so no cooking needed! Hoping this will make it easier. Currently thinking mainly green tea and water but with a few coffee and creams? What do you think?
Pleased splint helpingyourthumb. Good luck with weighin sounds like you are getting thinner and or changing shape well done.

Will join you but may go for large lunch Tuesday and then fast till Thursday lunch, but will play by ear. Green tea/water with some tea with cream works for me - have never got beyond about 30 hours without cream.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjraak

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lesson learned!! :wideyed: After fasting reintroduce food VERY slowly otherwise there are... gastric repercussions. Especially with veg. :dead:

Oh Yeah. Those veg repercussions... not fun!

You feeling OK now?

Reactions: jjraak