What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Kingmidas

Brekkie: 'muesli' - small amount oats, desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, pecans and a few defrosted previously frozen strawberries (more of what happened to the rest of them later)

Lunch: breakfast in a pan (all fried together because I'm lazy and I hate dishwashing) bacon, eggs, tomato and mushrooms

Dinner: not really hungry so I had a small bowl of cocktail sausages and a bit of cheese (weird). Maybe I was subconsciously saving myself for another King Creation - this time strawberry cheesecake - another recipe from Sugar Free Londoner, here https://sugarfreelondoner.com/no-bake-low-carb-strawberry-cheesecake-gluten-free/ very, very good. The recipe made FAR too much filling to the extent that I had enough for another bowlful. It's just like a mousse, so nice with some berries. I haven't had a flop with any recipes from this website!

IMG_20190220_195431_431.jpg

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with raspberries (ran out of strawberries! :wideyed:) and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and blueberries.
Mid afternoon: peanut Phd bar and black coffee.
Dinner: chicken supreme with mixed veg followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

and normal service has been resumed..:D

welcome back to life, @Rachox

@Rachox 1- hospital 0..result.:)

hope you mend soon.:happy:

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brekkie: 'muesli' - small amount oats, desiccated coconut, toasted coconut, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, pecans and a few defrosted previously frozen strawberries (more of what happened to the rest of them later)

Lunch: breakfast in a pan (all fried together because I'm lazy and I hate dishwashing) bacon, eggs, tomato and mushrooms

Dinner: not really hungry so I had a small bowl of cocktail sausages and a bit of cheese (weird). Maybe I was subconsciously saving myself for another King Creation - this time strawberry cheesecake - another recipe from Sugar Free Londoner, here https://sugarfreelondoner.com/no-bake-low-carb-strawberry-cheesecake-gluten-free/ very, very good. The recipe made FAR too much filling to the extent that I had enough for another bowlful. It's just like a mousse, so nice with some berries. I haven't had a flop with any recipes from this website!

View attachment 31412
Oh how I wish there was a mouthwatering emoji!

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
lick-lips.gif
.... @Tipetoo ..like.

@SlimLizzy and @jjraak Give avocado a go but ensure they are ripe. Smashed on LC toast and topped with a perfectly poached egg, in salad or mashed, mixed with a tin of mackerel in olive oil, apple cider vinegar and chia seeds, spring onions and grated cheddar they have become a staple of mine but I am a very rum cove.

cheers @ianpspurs
do the avocado now mashed with eggs, or sliced with other breakfast items
hate the fish dishes..like acv, spring onions, grated cheddar though..
( chia seeds ?..mmh..juries still out
do you mean chia seeds IN acv..interesting)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear, sounds a bit depressing, but I guess better than the alternative if they are the cause of the grief.
Thanks. There are just brief periods of time when LC and as HF as I will go combine with my genetics in a very unhelpful way. A few seized joints don't come close to what you went through so I should count my blessings. Obviously I need to figure out how to minimise those times or avoid them completely if at all possible. The no/very rare coffee and alcohol were/are part of that. Eating more fat via meat has backfired.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lick-lips.gif
.... @Tipetoo ..like.

cheers @ianpspurs
do the avocado now mashed with eggs, or sliced with other breakfast items
hate the fish dishes..like acv, spring onions, grated cheddar though..
( chia seeds ?..mmh..juries still out
do you mean chia seeds IN acv..interesting)
Personally I tend to use chia seeds as a topping and avoid putting them in liquid as much as possible. Chia seeds as a salad topping - sprinkled last of all, 3 dessert spoons. With anywhere between 1 and 3 avocados ("wonky" ones) my basic filler meal. My salad is made in a family pasta serving dish.
Edited for typo - tend for then

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. There are just brief periods of time when LC and as HF as I will go combine with my genetics in a very unhelpful way. A few seized joints don't come close to what you went through so I should count my blessings. Obviously I need to figure out how to minimise those times or avoid them completely if at all possible. The no/very rare coffee and alcohol were/are part of that. Eating more fat via meat has backfired.

Coffee and alcohol are one thing, (and it doesn’t sound as if you are bothered by either) but cutting back on meat too must make this woe quite a challenge. There are vegetarians who manage ( @zauberflote for one) but I suppose that would involve more cheese - maybe even cream cheese which I know is anathema to you. Good luck with finding your own particular path.

Reactions: zauberflote

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee and alcohol are one thing, (and it doesn’t sound as if you are bothered by either) but cutting back on meat too must make this woe quite a challenge. There are vegetarians who manage ( @zauberflote for one) but I suppose that would involve more cheese - maybe even cream cheese which I know is anathema to you. Good luck with finding your own particular path.
This whole woe/diet is a challenge to me anyhow. I don't mind cream cheese per se just not in bread/cake and every recipe known to mankind. I can eat the 250 gms of meat a meal level and be fine but very hungry. It is finding a form of fat I can live with in large enough quantities that has been the problem all along. It is not so much that I don't like this diet as it doesn't like me.

Last edited:

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Day 4 and last day of fast - or part day as I will be breaking the fast late afternoon (visitors arriving about 6 pm). I'm going to break it about 4ish with a few nuts, then a soft boiled egg - then this evening we are going for a carvery meal (I'll have roast turkey and some veg).

Over the four days I've lost 2.8kg which is just over 6lbs (I am anticipating that at least half of this will find me again in the next few days). My psoriasis isn't so red and my arthritic knees are less painful. My FBG was 5.2 this morning. Do all good.

I still really don't feel hungry and could continue fasting if it wasn't for the visitors. I'm very happy with the results of this fast so think I'm going to make five day fasting in to a regular monthly event.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This whole woe/diet is a challenge to me anyhow. I don't mind cream cheese per se just not in bread/cake and every recipe known to mankind. I can eat the 250 gms of meat a meal level and be fine but very hungry. It is finding a form of fat I can live with in large enough quantities that has been the problem all along. It is not so much that I don't like this diet as it doesn't like me.

Apart from the bit about cream cheese your post is exactly how I felt about 18 months ago.

I don't really eat a lot of fat, I don't like my food swimming in it so my diet tends to be low carb, moderate protein and moderate (healthy) fat. I don't choose low fat meats and I use fat for cooking but drain off the excess before plating up and I don't much like salad dressings. I very rarely eat cream cheese.

I found this way of eating to be very difficult when I skipped breakfast. Nowadays, normally I eat breakfast and dinner and, if I feel like it, a small chunk of cheese or berries and yoghurt at lunch time.

I fell off the wagon massively for 15 months and I think it was because I felt bored and deprived. I think I could have coped with one or the other but having both at the same time made the way I was eating at that time unsustainable long term. I know this WOE is essential for me to have a longer relatively healthy life so I've got to keep trying to find the right combination for me.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Day 4 and last day of fast - or part day as I will be breaking the fast late afternoon (visitors arriving about 6 pm). I'm going to break it about 4ish with a few nuts, then a soft boiled egg - then this evening we are going for a carvery meal (I'll have roast turkey and some veg).

Over the four days I've lost 2.8kg which is just over 6lbs (I am anticipating that at least half of this will find me again in the next few days). My psoriasis isn't so red and my arthritic knees are less painful. My FBG was 5.2 this morning. Do all good.

I still really don't feel hungry and could continue fasting if it wasn't for the visitors. I'm very happy with the results of this fast so think I'm going to make five day fasting in to a regular monthly event.
Amazing news very encouraging that it’s helping your psoriasis and arthritis. I’ve never done more than 23 hours - except when ill but @m considering going for a one off 48 hour fastnext week - mainly to see if I can achieve it and autophagy but also because will be on my own one night next week the OH is very dubious about me fasting as thinnish now and also I find it hard when cooking for others so have never missed dinner for that reason. I tend to find it fairly easy to miss breakfast and lunch but not the main event! I take heartfrom you @Chook next Wednesday/ Thursday it is for me will fastfrom dinner Tuesday to dinner Thursday.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@shelley262

I think that, for me, it was difficult skipping that first dinner (so hour 24) until mid afternoon the next day (say hour 45). Before and after that it was fine and I still don't feel particularly hungry.

Good luck with your fast next week. I'm sure you will achieve it. :)

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
@SlimLizzy sorry you are still under the weather
emoji45.png
and that is one seriously functional (my very highest praise for tech) app you use there! It’s you that has to avoid lots of fat, do I remember correctly? Ah I see by your next post yes it is you. Make sure you pack the chocolate in the”Kitchen Open First!!!” box.
And,,,,,,
emoji45.png
emoji30.png
no ballet class for me tonight. I very gently wrenched my back just a teeny tiny bit. Ice, ibuprofen, no pain now. But I do not wish to challenge it one little bit. Waaahhhhh. Have to walk in the dark on icy roads as penance for being stoopid. Or, you know, maybe no walk either. We’ll see.

View attachment 31412
looks absolutely delicious.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Apart from the bit about cream cheese your post is exactly how I felt about 18 months ago.

I don't really eat a lot of fat, I don't like my food swimming in it so my diet tends to be low carb, moderate protein and moderate (healthy) fat. I don't choose low fat meats and I use fat for cooking but drain off the excess before plating up and I don't much like salad dressings. I very rarely eat cream cheese.

I found this way of eating to be very difficult when I skipped breakfast. Nowadays, normally I eat breakfast and dinner and, if I feel like it, a small chunk of cheese or berries and yoghurt at lunch time.

I fell off the wagon massively for 15 months and I think it was because I felt bored and deprived. I think I could have coped with one or the other but having both at the same time made the way I was eating at that time unsustainable long term. I know this WOE is essential for me to have a longer relatively healthy life so I've got to keep trying to find the right combination for me.
Glad to see you are "back on the wagon" and thank you so much for making it crystal clear I am not the only one with reservations. I tend to not eat breakfast anymore as it tends to just make me hungry after an hour or two. Really fine line for me between the inedible and ineligible. It is also highly likely that any solution for one of us would either not work or cause problems for the other. Best of luck with your efforts to find a way to suit you and perhaps I will continue to access this thread to see your progress.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@ianpspurs cream cheese/meat rollups or sandwich? (Cream cheese in the middle...) I have this childhood memory that seems to involve thin sliced corned beef scraps and cream cheese...
@Chook VERY well done indeed!! I like that FBG....enjoy your visitors Not to make light of your struggles and puzzles finding a good path, but you are welcome to some of my enjoyment of dairy and nut fats!!!
@shelley262 remind us when next week comes - I cannot for the life of me keep track of things!
Good grief I will stop using my phone’s emoji if they turn out so huge!! (In @SlimLizzy ‘s post) I apologize - this is the first time I’ve seen them like that.
Going to have to back off the “gotta fast every day or else” because how will I ever take Mom out for lunch, which we both enjoy as an activity? Why does a person have to get old before they learn to see their own personality deficiencies??!? Perseverance good, perseverating not always so much.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Chook brilliant! And I’m so pleased about your other health issues improving. You said in one of your posts that you hadn’t realised you’d used food as entertainment, I completely get that and I find it really hard to skip a meal for that reason, I just look forward to mealtimes.

Anyway, today I’ll be skipping dinner, which will be easy as I’m going out in a few minutes and wont be back until later tonight.
Breakfast was a boiled egg with 1/3 Lidl roll toasted, with butter and marmite.
Lunch was one of a new batch of flaxseed buns ( which work so much better using milled flaxseed than whole) with that devil’s food - cream cheese! Also smoked salmon and about 30g walnuts. Dollop of lazy mousse afterwards as I was still hungry.

Have a good evening all.

Edit to add pud which I forgot