What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if this might help.

Bulletproof-Baking-Conversion-Chart-for-Sugar-Substitutes-Infographic-752x581.jpg

There's lots out there on t'internet about comparing sweeteners and their various impacts.

Thank you!
I only have eryth and monk fruit (and I think the monk fruit is horrible), but that graphic is excellent.
I’ve saved it in case I need it in future.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all. Hope everyone is doing well. Missed posting for two days due to busy day at work. This was the last one for some time and am looking forward to some free time during the semester break.

@zauberflote -- Hugs for the HbA1c test result. Really know what this feels like. Based on finger pricks, my HbA1c should have been before 4.8% and 4.9%, but came out as 5.4% -- and I definitely know my meter is head on as compared fasting blood sugars based on lab test with the ones taken 5 minutes earlier with my meter (2 comparisons). So, it might not be your meter at all. Needless to say, I was very depressed for about a month and questioned the utility of having blood tests at all. Anyway -- when in doubt, I would trust my meter over the HbA1c test results.
@shelley262 -- I am sure you'll be able to increase your time on the elliptical trainer fairly quickly. After the two waves of flu last year, I was only able to last 5 minutes on it, but it only took a couple of weeks to get up to half an hour again. It might just be a matter of getting used to the type of movement.
@Chook -- My utter and complete admiration for the 4-day fast. Sorry about the gastrointestional issues after breaking the fast. Have you tried vit D3 (plus K2) for the psoriasis. I've now been on it for about three months, and I have definitely seen some difference, the skin less raised now, more like the skin surrounding it.
@Goonergal -- Sorry about your sore thumb and keeping my fingers crossed for the scale.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. Previous post turned out longer than anticipated. So decided to start a new one.

@Rachox -- Sorry that you are stuck inside today. It sounds as if you are starting to mend. How long do you gather will it take until your mobile again?
@ianpspurs -- Sorry to hear about your issues with meat and cheese. Must be quite challenging and restrictive combined with low carb? Have you heard back from l-carb shop?

Wednesday's menu ...

Breakfast: Two decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A DD keto flat bread with mayonnaise, avocado and cheese.

Lunch: One square of 95% chocolate as I was getting in one hour grading during lunch break while in a meeting.

Afternoon: Another DD keto roll with mayonnaise, avocado and cheddar.

Late dinner: A chunk of cheese.

Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Caramelized macadamias.

Lunch: Cole slaw, cauli-potato-fiber mash, two boiled chicken wieners with low-carb barbeque sauce and mustard.

Dinner: A salad of lamb's lettuce, Ranch dressing, grated cheese and three baby romas. Soup of oxtail, beef, merguez, pumpkin, green beans, white beans and celery. One glass of red wine.

Late night snack: A chunk of cheese and a few slices of beef salami.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Oh Yeah. Those veg repercussions... not fun!

You feeling OK now?

Much better today! I had a weird rumbling tummy night with lots of wakefulness times and during one of them it occurred to me that I'd read on this forum that the PIL for Metformin recommends it shouldn't be taken at the same time as a very low calorie diet. I think a four day fast could be classed as VLC. Ah well, lesson - next time I'll know better.

Thank you, everyone, for your nice comments about me fasting. It's making me feel like I'm getting them under false preferences because, apart from a few periods of hunger (which comes in waves) it really was much, much easier than I expected.

Today my FBG had gone back up a little bit BUT the best thing is that it really seems to have done something for my knees - I easily bent them to get in to the car last night and again this morning - that's something that has been a real problem recently.

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Thank you so much @ziggy_w ! My situation made even more confusing by the fact that my meter 5 min before and their reading of NFBG, at first blood test last week were 19 US points apart... sheesh. Do cold fingers affect bg?

I’m not getting much action on a new post I made in the BG Monitoring forum, so I’ll ask here. Is it important to use “control solution” on the meter? Just bought a different brand yesterday, and it’s showing wildly lower than older meter. Pretty sure the 15% error margin of the two would just overlap by a few points; have no time to do the arithmetic yet. If I used control solution, does it teach the meter something? Or show me something? Do youall use control solution? I am throwing my hands up in surrender temporarily. “Old reliable” meter continues to read apples to apples so far as I can see. So we carry on with hope, in the dreary chill rainy day. I am helping judge a Speech and Debate Tournament this afternoon and tomorrow. The schedule is such that I’ll have to pack my own supper to eat in the judges’ room ((that one with the buffet piles high with Swedish meatballs and fresh fruit...although I snagged some good cheese last year) while I write up my results. Much brain overload trying to keep the competitors straight, and get their results in to mgmnt in time to let kids know if they advance or not.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote

I don't trust HbA1c any more. I had mine don't between Christmas and New Year not too long after 're-starting low carb after a long fall off the wagon and (in my opinion) the result was far lower than it should have been. I also trust my meter more than the HbA1C now.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lunch yesterday: Not much as we did not feel like anything.
Dinner: Fish (Nile Perch) and salad.
Breakfast today: Cheese omelette, bacon.

Good job the groceries and meat get delivered today.
Dwe01us.gif

Your fish always sound so exotic. I'm very jealous because I live fish but get bored with the same ones all the time. Wad Nile Perch as nice as it sounds?

Reactions: zauberflote

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Rachox, have you considered getting the garden furniture out and using either a lounger if you have any or another chair/stool to prop up your foot?

Being stuck indoors in good weather always seems like torture.

Unfortunately our back door step is way to high to negotiate on crutches. I am going to sit by the open French windows though, I need some fresh air.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Today..... still have our guests but they are doing the tourist thing at Chatsworth. Too much walking for me.

Breakfast: Bacon and eggs

Lunch: Chunk of Wensleydale with cranberries

Dinner: Mr C is make some kebabs - some are lamb, some pork and some are chicken all flavoured with Turkish flavouring - if the weather holds he'll cook them on the BBQ to get that authentic chargrill flavour - plus lots of salad and flat breads for those who can

Dessert: Strawberries and cream for me - big fresh exotic fruit salad for everyone else

Drinks: black decaff coffee, water, wine - but not all at the same time

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again. Previous post turned out longer than anticipated. So decided to start a new one.

@Rachox -- Sorry that you are stuck inside today. It sounds as if you are starting to mend. How long do you gather will it take until your mobile again?
@ianpspurs -- Sorry to hear about your issues with meat and cheese. Must be quite challenging and restrictive combined with low carb? Have you heard back from l-carb shop?

Wednesday's menu ...

Breakfast: Two decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. A DD keto flat bread with mayonnaise, avocado and cheese.

Lunch: One square of 95% chocolate as I was getting in one hour grading during lunch break while in a meeting.

Afternoon: Another DD keto roll with mayonnaise, avocado and cheddar.

Late dinner: A chunk of cheese.

Thursday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Caramelized macadamias.

Lunch: Cole slaw, cauli-potato-fiber mash, two boiled chicken wieners with low-carb barbeque sauce and mustard.

Dinner: A salad of lamb's lettuce, Ranch dressing, grated cheese and three baby romas. Soup of oxtail, beef, merguez, pumpkin, green beans, white beans and celery. One glass of red wine.

Late night snack: A chunk of cheese and a few slices of beef salami.
Your menu looks tasty and reliably LC as per. Couple of mentions of DD but my pills soon cured my hives:angelic: i-carb shop replied quite promptly but the postage costs mean Amazon in UK works out cheaper but for 1 KG. The meat and cheese conundrum mainly becomes a major issue when I am under the weather which is also when I feel most hungry. Rightly or wrongly I am convinced this diet produces those circumstances about once a month.

Last edited:

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Thanks @Chook! And why not an exotic vino-flavored decaf, eh? Boil the stuff down and you’ve got liqueur...(I know, my kitchen chemistry is a little off)
@Rachox I’ll imagine you, foot elevated, with the breeze pouring through the french window, a cup of [insert today’s bev] to hand, birds singing, good book nearby.... I spent my entire second hip recovery’s first two weeks on my sunporch - I know how good the outdoors feels!
I believe you, @ianpspurs .. the moon, the tides, bird movements, what were the cows etc eating at slaughter (please tell me y’all don’t do feedlot beef cattle!) Or your larger Circadian cycle, or gut microbiome which is ruling your brain anyway- many possibilities! What would the diet that tasted and cooked best for you look like? Just nosy...mine would have far less dairy and far more beans, grains, all kinds of veg, and fresh FRUIT at every meal.....

Reactions: ianpspurs and DJC3

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@zauberflote

Your perfect diet sounds similar to mine except that mine would have the addition of fish and some locally reared grass fed meat and some crusty home made bread. I also really do miss beans and fruit.

The best diet I had was when we reared our own very happy chickens, turkeys and ducks for the table and then I used to trade my own poultry for other people's home reared meat. Occasionally I used to trade for venison but only after there was an official cull.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks @Chook! And why not an exotic vino-flavored decaf, eh? Boil the stuff down and you’ve got liqueur...(I know, my kitchen chemistry is a little off)
@Rachox I’ll imagine you, foot elevated, with the breeze pouring through the french window, a cup of [insert today’s bev] to hand, birds singing, good book nearby.... I spent my entire second hip recovery’s first two weeks on my sunporch - I know how good the outdoors feels!
I believe you, @ianpspurs .. the moon, the tides, bird movements, what were the cows etc eating at slaughter (please tell me y’all don’t do feedlot beef cattle!) Or your larger Circadian cycle, or gut microbiome which is ruling your brain anyway- many possibilities! What would the diet that tasted and cooked best for you look like? Just nosy...mine would have far less dairy and far more beans, grains, all kinds of veg, and fresh FRUIT at every meal.....

Hmmmm not sure about vino flavour coffee - odd mixture - but I found Mr C looking at a coffee beer this morning.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox I’ll imagine you, foot elevated, with the breeze pouring through the french window, a cup of [coffee] to hand, birds singing, good book nearby.... I spent my entire second hip recovery’s first two weeks on my sunporch - I know how good the outdoors feels!.

Got a little fresh air this afternoon but the dining room chairs are a bit hard on the behind, so I’m back on the sofa now :)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so much @ziggy_w ! My situation made even more confusing by the fact that my meter 5 min before and their reading of NFBG, at first blood test last week were 19 US points apart... sheesh. Do cold fingers affect bg?

I’m not getting much action on a new post I made in the BG Monitoring forum, so I’ll ask here. Is it important to use “control solution” on the meter? Just bought a different brand yesterday, and it’s showing wildly lower than older meter. Pretty sure the 15% error margin of the two would just overlap by a few points; have no time to do the arithmetic yet. If I used control solution, does it teach the meter something? Or show me something? Do youall use control solution? I am throwing my hands up in surrender temporarily. “Old reliable” meter continues to read apples to apples so far as I can see. So we carry on with hope, in the dreary chill rainy day. I am helping judge a Speech and Debate Tournament this afternoon and tomorrow. The schedule is such that I’ll have to pack my own supper to eat in the judges’ room ((that one with the buffet piles high with Swedish meatballs and fresh fruit...although I snagged some good cheese last year) while I write up my results. Much brain overload trying to keep the competitors straight, and get their results in to mgmnt in time to let kids know if they advance or not.

Hi @zauberflote, someone mentioned a day or so about getting a good blood flow. I suppose that when it gets vey cold some arm swinging and finger exercise may be of benefit. Personally, I find that during cold spells, I have to rub my hands and wash in warm water - it helps the arthritis as well.
Test control solution. I used to test whenever I opened a new tub of test strips but after a while decided not to. I just got the impression, rightly or wrongly, that, given the results to date, it was just a backstop invented by test strip manufacturers.

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@zauberflote

I don't trust HbA1c any more. I had mine don't between Christmas and New Year not too long after 're-starting low carb after a long fall off the wagon and (in my opinion) the result was far lower than it should have been. I also trust my meter more than the HbA1C now.
I can relate to this. I am getting the feeling that eating to your meter in order to keep spikes below the neuropathy threshold may be the way to go.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@ziggy_w good to see you back posting and glad you’ll be getting a break from work.

@Chook glad the fast had a positive impact on your arthritis.

@zauberflote I’ve never used control solution. I’m with the others who regard testing as more reliable than HbA1c.

A fishy day today. Lunch was smoked salmon and M&S whipped creamy cheese followed by a bag of their pork crackling.

Dinner was a bit of a failure. Coated some cod loin in the Parmesan and pork crunch topping I usually use with chicken wings. However it caught in the frying pan and ended up a little on the burnt side. Mostly edible but nothing more. Think I’ll bake it next time. Dessert was extra thick Jersey cream mixed with almond butter.

On the plus side managed a long canal/river/park walk home from work - my shorts got their first outing of the year. Amazing for February.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all lovely sunny day today and also achieved my 3rd gym consecutive visit but won’t be able to again till next Wednesday. I’ve enjoyed it but especially the swimming, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna! It is definitely easier swimming with better weather out there.
Brunch after gym bacon, egg, slice fried tomato and one Lc crispbread
Dinner beef short rib on bed of mushrooms fried in ghee plus small glass red wine followed by my first ever chocolate chia pudding served with extra thick double cream - delicious made almond milk acceptable ! Just had decaf coffee and cream with four 100% chocolate buttons got the taste for choc!
Hope good evening had by all.
@Goonergal impressed by shorts and your long walk I did my mindfulness in the garden today lovely in the sunshine.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal impressed by shorts and your long walk

Decided during the walk that once the days are longer and I don’t need to leave work early to get home in sunshine, will make this a regular Friday evening routine. It’s such a lovely walk. Will need to stop for dinner en route if starting out later: there are conveniently located branches of Five Guys and Shake Shack at Canary Wharf which should hit the spot.

Glad you got some mindfulness in.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a funny day, food wise and otherwise.
Lunch; I decided to have two very thin slices of my hemp bread to make egg bread and bash half an avocado on top. Far too much and ended up chucking a slice of the eggy bread.
Dinner; a fish pie. Made to this recipe but only used a third of the ingredients, half left for tomorrow;
https://sugarfreelondoner.com/fish-pie-cauliflower-mash-low-carb/
The lemon zest was not to my taste and will leave it out if I ever do it again.
Also, really should have pin boned the fish - twit.
Lots of water consumed as well at Yorkshire tea and a cafetiere of kofee.
Made a batch of tumeric tea this morning and in a lightbulb moment, chucked in some chaga - tastes good.
Just need to figure out how to get yellow stains from worktops, cupboard doors, floors and slippers - oops!