What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
Interesting. Mine wasn’t wet at all. Let me know if you improve the recipe though. I have my eyes on some cheesey scones that someone posted on here.

I thinnnk... even though it tested done with a bamboo skewer, that my 8” skillet messed things up. Do you use a 10” one? Also, I’ll bet our ingredients have different moisture levels. Glad yours wasn’t wet! Mr ZF’s comments were not negative, but they weren’t rave reviews either. He really wanted corn bread, which I make a mean skillet of. Hoping to have time today to try your chocolate almond bar (I have to call it fudge because that’s exactly what it is here! Chocolate+fat=fudge! No-cook fudge at that.)

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Phewwww - a very busy couple of days dealing with a post-fast very, very upset tummy while trying to carry on as normal. Yes, those bacon and eggs were wonderful but maybe a bit fatty on a totally empty tummy - I'll have to think of something different for next time.

I missed yesterday's menu which was

Breakfast: bacon and eggs

Lunch: chunk of cheese

Dinner: M&S sirloin steak and some marinated lamb ribs

Dessert: strawberries

Today

Breakfast: Kippers and scrambled eggs

Lunch: sugar free jelly

Dinner: roast chicken, sausagemeat stuffing, cauliflower, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, small amount of carrots, 2-3 chunks roast parsnips, h/m sugar free cranberry sauce

Dessert: more strawberries

Drinks: black decaff coffee, still spring water, red wine

Reactions: maglil55 and dunelm

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DJC3 and @DCUKMod we do have evaporation of almond butter in Virginia as well because a certain party has not lost her food addictive behavior, but simply transferred it from sugar to fats... creamery butter has evaporative fits too...MrZF is somehow exempt from addiction. He calls overeating having had 2 chocolate chip cookies with his afternoon coffee. Skinny as a rail all his life.
@BibaBee mememememe Nutellaaaaa!!! I just CMT’d those, thanks for posting Both!. We used to be rabid fans.
Oh dear @Chook sorry about your tummy! You did a phenomenal fast; no fair that you got problems after...

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal have you ever tried the Nigella recipe for Meatza? Its a base of minced beef, flavourings, eggs and 3 tabsp of breadcrumbs (which could obs be substituted pork rinds might work. She then puts tomato and mozarella on top, dressed with basil leaves. I’ve not tried it myself.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal have you ever tried the Nigella recipe for Meatza? Its a base of minced beef, flavourings, eggs and 3 tabsp of breadcrumbs (which could obs be substituted pork rinds might work. She then puts tomato and mozarella on top, dressed with basil leaves. I’ve not tried it myself.

I make a meatza base by just rolling out a posh ( high percentage beef) burger.

Reactions: BibaBee

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi. No I haven’t, although I have seen the recipe. My meattza was an impromptu attempt - I used some leftovers from a mince, bacon and cheese concoction that I had in the freezer. Some egg may well help to bind it together. Guess could use ground almonds instead of the bread crumbs, but I’m trying to find a carnivore version.

Had to drop tomato sauce off fathead pizza a while back - way too sweet, as is any tomato based dish these days. Used to love Bolognese with courgetti when first diagnosed.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thinnnk... even though it tested done with a bamboo skewer, that my 8” skillet messed things up. Do you use a 10” one? Also, I’ll bet our ingredients have different moisture levels. Glad yours wasn’t wet! Mr ZF’s comments were not negative, but they weren’t rave reviews either. He really wanted corn bread, which I make a mean skillet of. Hoping to have time today to try your chocolate almond bar (I have to call it fudge because that’s exactly what it is here! Chocolate+fat=fudge! No-cook fudge at that.)

Yes, I use a 10 inch one. Hope the chocolate almond thing came out well.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, it’s me again. Felt a bit hungry on returning home (according to my phone I’ve walked over 18km today) and having only eaten the lunchtime steak (somehow forgot tea with cream this morning) decided a little something was in order so ate a Diet Doctor breakfast sandwich. HTS.

Tea with cream coming right up.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today.
Lunch; bacon, egg, sausage and black pudding.

Dinner; Just had a go at a pizza accompanied by celeriac chips made in my actifry.
@Goonergal - I have fiddled about with the recipe from the Carnivour facebook page. Here goes;
Oven at 175C
90g pork scratchings (Mr Porky - it was a 90g pack) - ground in my grinder - probably a bit over ground - it goes quite fatty.
3 tbsp mozarell
3 tbsp cheddar
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic granules

Tip: beat the egg before starting.
Put all the cheese in a glass dish and soften for 45 secs in a microwave.
Quickly add the ground pork scratchings, seasoning and egg. Beat together with a spatula.
Pour onto a tray covered with baking parchment and smear about to form a circle (ish).
Bake for 15 minutes.
Take out of oven and add topping - I used Passata, sliced tomato, sliced onion, chorizo, mozzarella and Parmesan.
Back in oven under the grill for 10 minutes.

Pretty good. Mrs Miggins and I had a quarter each. It’s quite filling.
I think I may reduce the cheese by a tablespoon next time but not bad for a first attempt.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today.
Lunch; bacon, egg, sausage and black pudding.

Dinner; Just had a go at a pizza accompanied by celeriac chips made in my actifry.
@Goonergal - I have fiddled about with the recipe from the Carnivour facebook page. Here goes;
Oven at 175C
90g pork scratchings (Mr Porky - it was a 90g pack) - ground in my grinder - probably a bit over ground - it goes quite fatty.
3 tbsp mozarell
3 tbsp cheddar
2 tbsp cream cheese
1 egg
Garlic granules

Tip: beat the egg before starting.
Put all the cheese in a glass dish and soften for 45 secs in a microwave.
Quickly add the ground pork scratchings, seasoning and egg. Beat together with a spatula.
Pour onto a tray covered with baking parchment and smear about to form a circle (ish).
Bake for 15 minutes.
Take out of oven and add topping - I used Passata, sliced tomato, sliced onion, chorizo, mozzarella and Parmesan.
Back in oven under the grill for 10 minutes.

Pretty good. Mrs Miggins and I had a quarter each. It’s quite filling.
I think I may reduce the cheese by a tablespoon next time but not bad for a first attempt.

Thanks for that. Sounds good. Will get some pork scratchings and pepperoni and give it a go in the week.

Reactions: dunelm

Kingmidas

Away last night and today at a craft weekend - a Crochet Sanctuary, which sounds a bit pretentious but is a lovely day of idle chatter and crafting. Have in the past struggled to find anything in the buffet lunch provided but today was a triumph. I hadn't had breakfast as I slept late and wasn't really hungry (and I have a horrid cold which has taken the edge off my appetite). Although there were lots of flapjacks, biscuits and cakes available I stuck to tea and low carb bars I'd brought with me. I rarely find it hard now to resist sweet snacks (but I'd have killed someone for a piece of cheese )

For lunch there was a nice selection of cold meats, cheeses and salads which I had as a starter, then a braised beef and pak choi dish, followed by Greek yoghurt, raspberries and melon. All very acceptable!

Saved a couple of low carb wafers, nuts and some fridge raiders for the journey home (am on the train now) and overall a successful day, food wise.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. The ‘nutella’ recipe looks so amazing. I’m all over that!! For the first week this year I haven’t done a new recipe - with all the swimming and then the chaos of daughters birthday party I haven’t had chance to plan it. Menu today isnt fit for this forum although was basically OMAD with the OM being birthday cake ;)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coffee&cream in the morning
Lunch of smoked salmon asparagus and poached eggs, then sf jelly and cream
Dinner M&S haddock mornay 3.4g carb per portion and very nice. I haven’t had a ready meal for yonks but this was another bargain reduction. I’ve become a shopping ninja these days and have found that nabbing the reduced produce means we can eat well on a budget. I have time to do it now I’m retired and it’s quite exciting as I don’t need to plan what to have, just see what’s around.

@Kingmidas I’m with you in that I don’t feel deprived or tempted by cake anymore, a great relief as I was quite miserable in the beginning at the thought of never stopping in a lovely cafe for tea and cake again. Glad you enjoyed your crochet sanctuary

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
OMAD day - ate at 3.15 and finished by 3.45. Food was pleasant enough but once again the gathering of family ( 89 yrs to 7 months) was the highlight. No 1 son cooked chicken and roast veg ( small vine tomatoes, courgettes, small pieces peppers, garlic, few slices onion and broccoli) I took a not cross bun sponge and had 2 squares Green and Black velvet peppermint. Think that is about getting to my limit for low carbing. Had 2 sips of the wine he poured but didn't feel the need for more.
We made LC Nutella for our grandson who tasted some and declared it snodge cumber - real faff taking skins off hazelnuts for that result.
Edit: should indeed be snozze cucumber as @zauberflote says further along

Last edited: