What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another busy day yesterday. Bed 6 FBG 6.8. Got boys washed, dressed, breakfast, teeth brushed, disagreed with No 2 that sweets are not acceptable at 9am even if he did eat breakfast and brush teeth. No 2 in huff! But ...but...(5 year old Vickie Pollard!) Papa said I could have 1/2 the strawberry liquorice. No papa said you could take it home and have 1/2 LATER
No 2 still in huff. Even bigger Huff - left to collect Mum & Dad and I refused to allow technology in car. Instead got them to find landmarks as we were largely following the train route.
B. Not a lot of time so Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Slice of Tesco High Protein bread (need to make more Dr Almond) with pate pate.
L. Took son shopping after dropping Mum + boys off. Got mine too then off to brothers to visit as nephew, wife and new baby visiting. This was the baby born just before Christmas following all the family deaths - Lydia Joy. Very cute. Coffee - black and a nakd GF bar.
1/3 PhD bar later.
D. Son forgot coffee pods so got them on way home. Left home 10.15am it's now 5.30pm! Had to wait for hailstorm to pass. No 2 got a bump out playing and the other wobbly front tooth is out and in the tooth fairy envelope!
Easy dinner - slice each ox tongue, chicken breast, roast pork leg, mortadella, 1 chicken wing, 1/2 slice ham, cremated veggie chips so only a few, chopped mixed veg with mayo and a boiled egg.
Another coffee and 1/3 PhD raspberry bar later.
Lie in tomorrow I think!

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@DCUKMod the sweetness of cream is why it’s so good! I guess I’m not as enlightened as youall yet ;)
@maglil55 many felicitations on your survival!! Hurray No 2 tooth out, fun! You deserve a nice long sleep very soon.
I don’t know yet if I’m standing. Posting from bed... today being Sunday is a feast day during lunch fast. Not mature enough to not eat while family chows down at lunch table, and anyway my Sabbath really is a feast day. Was supposed to take Mom to church, back to her place for their lunch while I go to son’s, then back to Mom to go to concert. Concert rescheduled. Best solution is substitute coffee out for concert. It’s supposed to be 70F and sunny today!!!! With the time change, it’s so hard to believe the sun will even come up :(
Will take choconut yumminess to son’s, nuke it a tiny bit and sprinkle with one of their classy salts, see what that does.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might as well get today's done before I go off to swimming with the boys since I know what we're having anyway. Bed 6.6 FBG 6.1. Whatever was wrong is stabilising again - no morning DP surge. I had planned to have a first attempt at a rough puff pastry yesterday using low carb flour but time ran away from me. It will take a while with the cooling, rolling and turning so will need to be another day.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Loads of cold meat so I had 1 slice ox tongue, 1 roast pork leg, 1/2 ham, boiled egg and a tablespoon of the mixed veggies in mayo.
L. Heading off to swimming soon , dozing off so 1/3 phd raspberry bar (I keep finding 1/3 bits in the fridge). Bags are ready, snacks for boys packed although nothing sweet for No 2 who has returned to the doghouse. He found a pack of some very expensive Japanese sweets his Dad got from Japan, opened them and consumed more than half. Obviously didn't have permission. The deposits around the mouth were a bit of a give away. He also broke one of brother's friend's toys. Trouble follows that boy. No 1 is still preoccupied with wobbling teeth.
D. My usual campari and soda if I remember to buy campari when I am on my way back from swimming. Making steak and kidney in the IP when I get back with mushrooms and some ale. Without pastry for me though. Celeriac mash , brussel sprouts and green beans. Berries and halo top after.
Was an annoying driving day yesterday. Firstly, had a Mrs Angry behind me going through a built up area where there are loads of youngsters. I am always very cautious when they are out and about because you never know when they will run out. Anyway Mrs Angry didn't like this (obviously in way too much of a hurry) so she was banging her dash, her steering wheel and her horn over and over. Just ignored her but as I turned down to the main road I gave way to a car on my left (because that's what you do when the give way markings are on your side). More banging, horn bashing and waving of fists. There's only room for single file traffic so sick fed up with her I nudged down to the main road keeping her behind. She wasn't going anywhere anyway as the main road traffic were stopped at the lights - or so I thought. She did a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre on the wrong side and caused the oncoming to swerve. Side of her car was bashed - serves her right.
Then on the way back along the coast encountered 2 of the inconsiderate cycling "packs". I am always careful around cyclists, dont mind waiting a few mins to pass safely but I detest these packs where there are cycle lanes and they are not in them and the pack is riding 5 or 6 abreast with a very long queue of traffic behind. All that leads to is very impatient drivers from a few cars back taking risks to get past them. They were getting blasted but couldn't care less. Sorry but that's how cyclists get a bad name. It's not the Tour and Chris Froome they're not so stop behaving like pratts! Ah well, rain back on in time for leaving.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Might as well get today's done before I go off to swimming with the boys since I know what we're having anyway. Bed 6.6 FBG 6.1. Whatever was wrong is stabilising again - no morning DP surge. I had planned to have a first attempt at a rough puff pastry yesterday using low carb flour but time ran away from me. It will take a while with the cooling, rolling and turning so will need to be another day.
B. Tassimo Americano grande with a dash of cream. Loads of cold meat so I had 1 slice ox tongue, 1 roast pork leg, 1/2 ham, boiled egg and a tablespoon of the mixed veggies in mayo.
L. Heading off to swimming soon , dozing off so 1/3 phd raspberry bar (I keep finding 1/3 bits in the fridge). Bags are ready, snacks for boys packed although nothing sweet for No 2 who has returned to the doghouse. He found a pack of some very expensive Japanese sweets his Dad got from Japan, opened them and consumed more than half. Obviously didn't have permission. The deposits around the mouth were a bit of a give away. He also broke one of brother's friend's toys. Trouble follows that boy. No 1 is still preoccupied with wobbling teeth.
D. My usual campari and soda if I remember to buy campari when I am on my way back from swimming. Making steak and kidney in the IP when I get back with mushrooms and some ale. Without pastry for me though. Celeriac mash , brussel sprouts and green beans. Berries and halo top after.
Was an annoying driving day yesterday. Firstly, had a Mrs Angry behind me going through a built up area where there are loads of youngsters. I am always very cautious when they are out and about because you never know when they will run out. Anyway Mrs Angry didn't like this (obviously in way too much of a hurry) so she was banging her dash, her steering wheel and her horn over and over. Just ignored her but as I turned down to the main road I gave way to a car on my left (because that's what you do when the give way markings are on your side). More banging, horn bashing and waving of fists. There's only room for single file traffic so sick fed up with her I nudged down to the main road keeping her behind. She wasn't going anywhere anyway as the main road traffic were stopped at the lights - or so I thought. She did a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre on the wrong side and caused the oncoming to swerve. Side of her car was bashed - serves her right.
Then on the way back along the coast encountered 2 of the inconsiderate cycling "packs". I am always careful around cyclists, dont mind waiting a few mins to pass safely but I detest these packs where there are cycle lanes and they are not in them and the pack is riding 5 or 6 abreast with a very long queue of traffic behind. All that leads to is very impatient drivers from a few cars back taking risks to get past them. They were getting blasted but couldn't care less. Sorry but that's how cyclists get a bad name. It's not the Tour and Chris Froome they're not so stop behaving like pratts! Ah well, rain back on in time for leaving.

Wholeheartedly agree with your comments about impatient drivers and packs of cyclists who spread out over the whole carriageway.
At least Mrs Angry got her just desserts.
Back on the food theme I’ll be interested to see how that pastry turns out in the end.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@maglil55 I agree completely about the cyclists. Some of them shouldn't be allowed on the road. Mr C recently nearly hit one recently because he/it/she pulled up alongside of him (in the middle of the road, on our right) as he was waiting to enter a roundabout with the rest of the 'pack' close up behind. Traffic cleared and Mr C cautiously pulled out and the idiot cyclist also moved forward then swung violently left directly in front of our car. Good job Mr C's reactions were quick as it was a very close near miss. There was a lot of screaming and yelling (from the whole pack of cyclists) blaming Mr C and threatening to call the police, blah, blah, then one of the pack noticed that we have a dash cam, called to his mates and they all shut up and rode quickly away leaving us shaken and wondering what exactly that was all about.

Hard to believe it was only a week ago that i started that fast - its been such an eventful week.

Today:

Breakfast: weekly treat of egg, bacon, mushrooms, chipolatas, couple of tablespoons baked beans

Lunch: Hartley 10 cal elderflower and cloudy lemon jelly, couple of squares of Montezuma black forest choc (not as nice as I thought it might be)

Dinner: will be very slow roasted beef short ribs (they smell amazing)

Dessert: blackberries and Turkish yoghurt

Drunks: black decaff coffee, water

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I've got a FABULOUS Sugar Free Diabetic dessert in the oven right now
1 package Golden Raisins, 1 bag frozen Raspberries, 1/2 cup water, 3 cups oatmeal, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg, 1 tsp cardamon, 1 stick butter, 1 cup orange juice
Butter or coat a deep baking dish with nonstick baking spray: Evenly distribute raisins. Simmer frozen raspberries in water until berries break apart, pur over the raisins. Mix Oatmeat and spices together, Melt butter, stir into oatmea, then add OJ. Make sure all the oatmeal is wet, add a bit of water if needed. Spoon evenly over fruit, BAKE: 325 for one hour. Serve warm with Sugar free whipped topping.

Sounds amazing. Have you worked out how many carbs are in a portion? Just the oats and raisins put that well out of my carb range.

Reactions: maglil55

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast and Mid morning; Tea;
Lunch time: About 20 hrs after last food so hungry - (no idea why I feel guilty for that) cocoa, piece of brisket to finish it, small piece cheese, 2 hard boiled eggs Afternoon - 16.20 ish Lamb shoulder, roast veggies (cherry toms, portobello mushrooms, kale, broccoli, fennel). Made a point of not having gravy but that was a mistake - do need to solve that problem. There will be tea. I want to find joy in this WOE (ingredients are too good not to be properly valued) - all a little too mechanical trying to keep meals LC rather than eating for pleasure right now. Anyone else ever hit that kind of wall? No? Just me then) Probably not helped by recently feeling tired more than usual - really hoping that is tree pollen related and will pass. Also feel guilty when I keep reading other people say they are stuffed, feel satisfied or able to fast and feel fine - did that too much too close together last year bit of a failure.
O/T if cyclists ain't your thing avoid Cambridge and the flat fens like the plague.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs in general I don’t mind LC but the chaos of the last couple of days and running round have made me realise some it’s restrictions long term. It’s not convenient unless I’m happy to eat chunks of cheese or slices of meat. Didn’t eat yesterday other than a slice of cake :angelic: and today I’ve only had time for a handful of nuts and 2 babybel. For the first time I wish I could grab a sandwich or stick some toast in. Quick on the go food. I love food, always have and am ok with recipes and cooking in general. But feeling fed up after just the last couple of days of going without because it’s easier than trying to work out what I can eat. You seem to have not enjoyed this WOE for a long while now and whilst I have no answers I hope really you find one!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all - posting now as first chance I’ve had all day and may not get back on till late
No B
L - 2 babybel and handful of nuts
D- hoping to get a couple of sausages, bacon, mushrooms and eggs on the go in a bit!

Edited - nuts not nits although they’re probably lower in carbs than the nuts!

Last edited:

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today; a low carb muffin made with almond flour, cut in half, toasted, buttered and a couple of fried eggs chucked on top.

Dinner; some braised beef from the freezer with slow cooked red peppers, mild and hot paprika, garlic,ginger and the remains of some passata on zero carb fetuchini just to be all bohemian.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch today was a tin of mackerel with salad which included 1/2 avocado, a boiled egg and some hempseed hearts. Acv/olive oil dressing. 15g Callebaut 100% buttons with coffee afterwards.
Dinner roast beef, celeriac dauphinoise buttered cabbage and green beans.
In a few minutes I’ll have decaf coffee& cream with one of a new batch lc ‘Bounty’ bars.

@ianpspurs I can empathise with half of your issues- I do very often feel hungry. I try periodically to do a week of 30hr fasts which work wonders for bgs but the hunger makes me miserable. Missing even one meal makes me ratty and irritable. On the plus side for me is that I really enjoy the food I’m eating these days and don’t really feel deprived of particular food goups. Gravy for instance ( though not generally considered a food group) was always something I could take or leave. I hope you figure something out that suits you though.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Agreeing with comments about cyclists @maglil55 @DJC3 but from a different perspective. They race along canal towpaths at breakneck speed expecting everyone else to step into the canal so they can keep going.

Have eaten waaaay too much on a rare weekend rest day - was all set to go out and it started hailing so bunkered up at home.

Lunch - a large one in anticipation of an OMAD day as planned being out: snap @Chook - beef short rib. Huge and deliciously fatty piece followed by the whipped creamy cheese/cream/cocoa mousse.

Afternoon snacks followed time baking - more of the almond butter squares and a couple of @shelley262 s cheese scones.

370EAC5D-54F3-494A-9CD2-ABC6A89AB16F.jpeg
5D6E21D9-A94A-4697-B293-C072A34F8710.jpeg

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast : Generous helping of omelet and bacon with a mug of tea (sweetner not sugar)

Lunch : Large jacket potato with tuna mayonnaise and small green side salad. Generous bowl of Greek yoghurt, fresh double cream and forest fruit berries. Cup of tea.

Dinner : No dinner. Snacked on a clementine, home made keto ice cream and some (50grams) of peanuts . Mug of tea.

I will probably snack on some cheese and an apple later on.

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if there are any Nutella fans on here, but if there are, this recipe is highly recommended! We made a batch last night and had some with our vanilla chia pudding this morning. It's not as sickly and sweet as Nutella. The hazelnut flavour really comes through. I used avocado oil because I'd run out of coconut oil. It is amazing! I always preferred the more expensive hazelnut chocolate spreads without all the rubbish in and this is much more like those. The only problem is that it's a really small batch and will not last long at all in this house!

https://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/homemade-low-carb-chocolate-hazelnut-spread/
Excellent solution, I can feed this to the 6 year old instead of the stuff we normally buy. Thanks.

And....she can help me make it. :D

Reactions: DJC3 and BibaBee

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs in general I don’t mind LC but the chaos of the last couple of days and running round have made me realise some it’s restrictions long term. It’s not convenient unless I’m happy to eat chunks of cheese or slices of meat. Didn’t eat yesterday other than a slice of cake :angelic: and today I’ve only had time for a handful of nuts and 2 babybel. For the first time I wish I could grab a sandwich or stick some toast in. Quick on the go food. I love food, always have and am ok with recipes and cooking in general. But feeling fed up after just the last couple of days of going without because it’s easier than trying to work out what I can eat. You seem to have not enjoyed this WOE for a long while now and whilst I have no answers I hope really you find one!
@Emma_369 The long term short comings of this WOE are indeed an issue and as weight decreases I think the problem comes into sharper focus. As for enjoying this WOE I think the most I can realistically expect is to be grateful for having access to such good ingredients. I didn't actually expect LC to do any good so I had not thought about what I might do or feel like when I reached this point. I don't think there are any answers it is just one of those things. I don't like having fillings or blood draws but they are needed so I just have to live with them. I genuinely feel guilty about being hungry so often and not raving about some good food but I don't see lying as helpful.

Last edited:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I feel for you. I know your last HBA1c disappointed you are you testing before/after meals cos it sometimes seems to me that you are not eating very much. The other thing that puzzles me is you are a “real food, good quality food” type of guy which should help, you are not trying to get away from junk. This way of life is not a walk in the park but all we can do is try. I really hope you start enjoying your food again. Hope Julie is getting on ok, thats not easy for you either. Best wishes as always.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Another hungry day today - think it didn’t help having an indoors day of necessity because of weather and needing to do lots of jobs but the jobs needed doing as out and about and away from home too with family stuff for much of week ahead. There is no doubt at all for me that I find it much easier to eat less when I’m occupied- especially when active and outdoors! - and also in the sunshine !
Breakfast bacon and egg
Lunch tin sardines In olive oil, lc crispbreads, 30g nuts, coffee, small piece of Stilton, and 2squares 95% choc.
Dinner steak, a few onions and mushroom sauce with glass red wine followed by sf lemon jelly and fage yoghurt.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs I feel for you. I know your last HBA1c disappointed you are you testing before/after meals cos it sometimes seems to me that you are not eating very much. The other thing that puzzles me is you are a “real food, good quality food” type of guy which should help, you are not trying to get away from junk. This way of life is not a walk in the park but all we can do is try. I really hope you start enjoying your food again. Hope Julie is getting on ok, thats not easy for you either. Best wishes as always.
Hi @PenguinMum not been posting on bgs thread recently due to busyness and family stuff but have just noticed your post about your son. I’m very sorry to hear he’s in hospital. I do so hope that they get to the bottom of what’s caused the problem and help him to get back to full health and/or manage his health condition. Take care it must be a huge shock for you and will have had a big impact on you and your family. Hugs heading your way. X

Reactions: zauberflote