What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My grandmother had one in her kitchen, the bedding and clothes that could be were boiled in it on wash day. This was when I was very small. My grandmother would put the water in, heat it up by lighting the gas underneath and then put in the washing and carbolic soap. Apparently her mother had one that was set up high on bricks or similar and she had to light a fire underneath to heat the water.
My grandmother had the wood fired, bricked in version and, later, an electric one. The bricked one was in the wash house which was some way from the main house. Big stick to stir the linen/clothes.

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night bg was 7.5 and this morning it was 7.9! I don’t think it has ever been that high. I’d been well on the way to reducing it. Really really cheesed off.
Hugs for you @Viv19
The whole thing is inexplicable at times.
Don’t stress. Not worth it. But I know that’s not easy to do.

>^..^<

Last edited:
Reactions: HarryBeau and Viv19

trick60

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning folks, a 5.8 on the dice, interesting chat about coppers, we had a coal fired back boiler that would occasionally make the water in the tank boil and rumble, we would have to run off the hot water in the old cast iron bath and completely steam up the bathroom like a sauna.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cyprus day 4.
FBG today a steady Eddie 6.0

Up early yesterday, saddled up for a trip to other side of the island.
Roads good, weather HOT, Lauren sat happily on back enjoying the scenery as it rolled by, as we kept pace with the flow of traffic, occasionally slowing to admire a particular view.

A short stop at sea you beach bar LINK
Then it's off through the mountains, to latchi polis...... superb views from the higher plains, lovely windy road, with the great smell of pines in the air.
Speeding round the bends then slowly meandering through little Greek Cypriot villages...a perfect ride out.

Finally we arrive at the journey's end..
And the beach is outstanding, the resort beautiful, and the sea is delightfully warm.

A real joy to swim in given the ice bath we have on our side of the island....lol

A few hours there, a short trip along coast to Aphrodite's baths & blue lagoon.
And a severely naughty but oh so delicious slurp of ice cream...(unashamedly stolen from Lauren's spoon.)..well.. seems only fair.
All that her. "ooh, I'm not hungry" then proceeds to eat half my kebab, etc

..funny how the cheeky grin & wink as I give her standard reply of "but stolen foods taste the nicest"
Doesn't seem as endearing to her as she obviously thinks it is to me...:D
:D:D

Back late, tired n thirsty, a quick shower then out for a pint or two...shooting the breeze with our mates in the cider bar.. happy days.

Wish you all Happy numbers for the day.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning all from a slightly cloudy North East, a 9 was unceremoniously thrown at me by the meter of doom today, I think it was totally not fair, unwarranted and I'm taking my toys home! At least there was no more "Chewgate" from Sidney one protest chew and I think its worn him out!!! And it's only bloomin Friday!! I have a full programme of Fun, drinking and partying, debauchery and daring do!! Actually I hope that's what you are all getting up to as I'm working...……….again, oh the joys of trying to adult.

Take care everyone. And have a nice weekend.

Viv19

I’ve read your other posts @Viv19 on your injured toes.
I do this with both my little toes which have clandestine meetings with the door frames when I least expect it. They are permanently slightly swollen now, although more swollen after their meetings. And it does flipping hurt like yours did.

But I find it’s when I am over tired, overstressed, overloaded, and so my co-ordination is slightly off, and I don’t quite move my feet properly.

I hope your pain eases off quickly.

>^..^<

@gennepher. I hope you’re able to manage the pain of your tooth, and to eat enough food. Your cooling system sounds like one I heard about in Australia- ie a block of ice frozen in an old ice cream tub with a fan blowing over it, it’s supposed to be quite efficient. Pain and heat are not good together, so I hope you can manage to stay cool too.

I think my coordination went down the drain when I was about 13 and grew enormously in one year, ending up being quite tall and famous for tripping over things. My poor feet and ankles have had a tough life.
Some years ago I was at a fancy dress party in someone’s garden, and couldn’t see the different level between two garage driveways. The resulting twisted ankle meant I couldn’t walk and OH and a friend carried me to the car, then I was driven to the hospital for x rays. The problem was that I was dressed as a vampire, with a white face, blood dripping down my chin, and waxed green hair standing up on end, plus of course the usual cloak and vampire suitable clothes.
When I hobbled in to my gp’s surgery a couple of days later to have the foot checked, he had heard about my green-haired hospital visit and couldn’t keep a straight face. (It was a small town where everyone knew what everyone else was up to). It didn’t do my street cred any good at all.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher. I hope you’re able to manage the pain of your tooth, and to eat enough food. Your cooling system sounds like one I heard about in Australia- ie a block of ice frozen in an old ice cream tub with a fan blowing over it, it’s supposed to be quite efficient. Pain and heat are not good together, so I hope you can manage to stay cool too.

I think my coordination went down the drain when I was about 13 and grew enormously in one year, ending up being quite tall and famous for tripping over things. My poor feet and ankles have had a tough life.
Some years ago I was at a fancy dress party in someone’s garden, and couldn’t see the different level between two garage driveways. The resulting twisted ankle meant I couldn’t walk and OH and a friend carried me to the car, then I was driven to the hospital for x rays. The problem was that I was dressed as a vampire, with a white face, blood dripping down my chin, and waxed green hair standing up on end, plus of course the usual cloak and vampire suitable clothes.
When I hobbled in to my gp’s surgery a couple of days later to have the foot checked, he had heard about my green-haired hospital visit and couldn’t keep a straight face. (It was a small town where everyone knew what everyone else was up to). It didn’t do my street cred any good at all.

Oh dear!
Small towns...sorry about that predicament.
My sympathy, but you brought a smile to my face this morning....

>^..^<

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Really really cheesed off.
Viv don't be too cheesed off...it happens to me when the weather warms up...it could be the day of the week...the wind direction...anything at all often diabetes has no rhyme or reason...wondering if the pain & inflammation from the toe injury has pushed your BG up...quite possible it is that...it will come down but only when it's ready

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A tooth which had a crown on it, broke/snapped off completely when I put my falsies in. So now I cannot wear my falsies now, no tooth to hold them in.

So clove oil and chewing gum over sheared off tooth. It blinking hurts. Went to dentist to make appointment.

24th July receptionist said...

I thought I had mis-lipread.

No, I hadn't.

24th July she said again.

May I point out this is a sheared off tooth and hurts lots, I said.

24th July she said again.

I am not moving until I get an appointment at the beginning of next week, I said (dentist doesn't open on a Friday).

Impasse....

I am standing solid as a rock, staring at her face.

She looks away first. Looks at her computer. I can fit you in on Tuesday, she says. Good, I said, Thank you.

So, cantankerous old lady is now in her potting shed, with cat...life is hard work...

>^..^<

Not good - the tooth - well done standing your ground on that. Don’t run out of clove oil. Would a temporary filling help - they sell them at pharmacies and some supermarkets
https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp...gb/groceries/dentek-essential-filing-material

Reactions: Shas3 and gennepher

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning All. 6.2 this morning after another day of safe food. Thanks @gennepher for asking about my eye which feels fine but looks scary. I cant believe you cant get emergency treatment and are in pain till Tuesday. My dentist will leave his home at any time on the clock to treat you at great personal expense to you. Hope the new clove oil helps are you unable to take painkillers?
@karen8967 @Goacher55 hugs for the lows. Hope the eye clinic goes well.@Viv19 I think the hurt toe and all the stress have likely sent your BG up.@Bubbsie sounds like the perfect day r&r after all the round the clock work.
I am sorry for all the broken teeth @Cumberland and @gennepher we would make a right trio of Halloween frights right now!
Have a great Friday everyone. Stay well, safe, get better.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
5.9 for me, clinging desperately to 5s still.
Hugs to those with teeth problems @gennepher and @Cumberland. Toothache is horrible, you can’t think about anything else. Really good to see your fbg is still heading in the right direction though Gennepher.
@Viv19 I’d have been surprised if your fbg hadn’t risen a bit with all that’s been going on with you recently. I’m sure it’ll drop when your foot pain does and the water problem is sorted.
@karen8967 hope the orange j is doing it’s stuff and you are back to normal soon.
@Bubbsie I’m glad you managed a nice chilled day yesterday after being up all the previous night. I was ‘on call’ for many years when I was working ( hospital) and I know it really does take its toll. I loved Rumpole too I must search the channels if it’s running again.

HarryBeau

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was ‘on call’ for many years when I was working ( hospital) and I know it really does take its toll.
I've covered so many duty slots DJC it does take it's toll...plus my first job was at a location where they film a certain TV programme the place was 'littered' with TV producers who wanted to film me with my client...they wouldn't take no for an answer...finally I had to point out I was there to work not provide entertainment...it was so difficult & time consuming drumming that into them...as a result when I set off in the evening I wasn't in the best of moods...I wonder if those night duties hastened or contributed to the diabetes diagnosis...just a thought.