What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a great party to come home shoeless.

Ours was a bit more sedate, bubbles and cake for next doors 93rd and next door but ones 86th. Couldn't resist 2 peices of cake, well they'd each cooked one and it would be rude not to have both... paid for it on the meter though, stopped watching as it rose from 6 to 10.5. Forgot my plan to smother the cake in cream... blaming the bubbles!

Trying to rein it back in today so skipped any breakfast then just small salad with chicken, ham and cheese. Hoping that sees me through

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Friday (I think) - bed 8.6 FBG 7.6. BGs improving again as I didn't get the high unexplained rises yesterday. @Chook - Mr Chook is spot on. Sainbury's do have the 90% Godiva. I'll tack it on my next order. At least I can do click and collect if I don't get a slot since I have a car that works now. @ANTJE - sounds like one heck of a party. I have to be careful now as any hangover seems to be a 3 day affair now although it still happens on occasion! @DJC3 - Hugs for the scan wait. My poor brother was due a scan too but it didn't happen thanks to all cancer check ups and most treatment stopped. He did, however, get a telephone consult with his consultant but, even so, you still like the reassurance a scan brings. Well at least afterwards. Yesterday
B. Slice LC toast with pate. TAG.
L. Nothing
D. GF haggis (again @Brunneria) with veggie chips. Other half is in the freezer. Again there was little movement on the BGs.
I also dared to have a thin slice of Hubby's black forest gateau and that too had little effect. I do have a recipe for a LC version which is LC but don't ask about the calories!

@Annb - a few of us seem to be having BG issues but I must admit your's are a complete mystery. They seem to have a mind of their own.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheese omelette for breakfast.
Tin of mackerel in olive oil, with rocket and a h/b egg for lunch. Then a lc custard.
Dinner will be https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-chinese-pork-stew-with-cabbage
We will be eating a lot of cabbage in the next few days. Mr C came back from the farm shop with this today - it’s as big as our kitchen table
IMG_3208.jpg

Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - Leftover omlette with mushrooms, onions, cheese & tomato and mug of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - Steak Diane with mushrooms, grilled tomato, 2 onion rings and a few chips. SF jelly and double cream.

May be forced to have a few morgans spiced rums and diet cokes if my dinner tonight has spiked my BS to bring it down! Well it is Saturday night after all :)

Reactions: maglil55 and Chook

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch scrambled eggs in butter followed by coffee with cream and a few walnuts
Dinner hm chicken curry with Corriander and half a slice of lc toasted bread with two glasses of gin and soda water followed by a few berries from garden and yoghurt. Just had decaff coffee with a few squares of 100% choc.
Looking forward to meeting friends tomorrow morning in a local park for a coffee meet up.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

B: forgot in the excitement of a Pack Walk (aka a Scoot) to our newly opened, now takeaway Costa. Mr B’s world now makes sense again. Mutts 2&3 had a lovely romp off lead in park, and Mutt 1 has worked out that if he plants his bum and refuses to walk, he gets to ride on my lap.
To be fair, I think he is back in some serious pain, so Monday I will ring for another chiropractic appt for him.
L: forgot, right up until I realised it was 4pm and had vintage cheddar and mango chutney to last me until
D: large chicken breast sliced open and stuffed with some of my homemade chickenliver pate, wrapped in smoked streaky bacon. 35 mins in airfryer at 170 degrees. Will be doing that again. Can fit 3 breasts in our tiny airfryer, so one is left over... breakfast...?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't get through the day without more food. About 6 pm, my BG had come down to 7.4 so I thought it would be OK to risk something else. Had a large dose of insulin and salad with hard boiled egg. I seem to be taking far too much insulin recently, but don't know what else to do. BG just now down to 7.3.

I think the problem yesterday was a result of the roll I had with black pudding and it has hung over the early part of today. Just one bread roll, despite a large dose of insulin. Knowing this doesn't stop me craving a potato, or bread, or something "nice but not common" as my husband used to say.

Reactions: maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't get through the day without more food. About 6 pm, my BG had come down to 7.4 so I thought it would be OK to risk something else. Had a large dose of insulin and salad with hard boiled egg. I seem to be taking far too much insulin recently, but don't know what else to do. BG just now down to 7.3.

I think the problem yesterday was a result of the roll I had with black pudding and it has hung over the early part of today. Just one bread roll, despite a large dose of insulin. Knowing this doesn't stop me craving a potato, or bread, or something "nice but not common" as my husband used to say.

I may have asked you this before, but have you ever considered you may be gluten intolerant?

You seem to quite like bread. I have a bit of a theory about foods we really like, and sometimes crave, but I'll spare you.

You talk of upset tummy, and aches and pains.

One of my major things if I take in gluten is joint pain. When I mistaken take in gluten, I find myself like a zombie; just wanting to snooze for hours on end. It's not a normal fatigue, it is deep, deep and like having a huge, heavy, heavy blanket thrown over me. My hands swell like little sausages and I can hardly make a fist. I get very bloated, then a couple of days later the bloat is all gone, in spectacular fashion, as a result of an increased attachment to the smallest room.

It takes me 2-3 weeks to get over that. I now never knowingly eat or drink anything containing gluten.

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the spirit of the thread, we have had a curry this evening. I also has a couple of very small onion bhajis.

Today, I made a lime infused gin. Rather nice, but not quite so fab as the orange one I did. In both instances, the flavour and slight colour in the liquid was courtesy of the citrus zest. No juice or sweeteners were used.

Delicious with both tonic or soda.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and Mississippi mudder phd
Late Lunch: Babybels and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt, coffee chia pudding and LC chocolate granola.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway crispy duck with two small pancakes a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream LC vanilla and raspberry granola

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lunch scrambled eggs in butter followed by coffee with cream and a few walnuts
Dinner hm chicken curry with Corriander and half a slice of lc toasted bread with two glasses of gin and soda water followed by a few berries from garden and yoghurt. Just had decaff coffee with a few squares of 100% choc.
Looking forward to meeting friends tomorrow morning in a local park for a coffee meet up.
Enjoy your day tomorrow :happy:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Woke up at 12:30 pm, so not a clue what to call my meals. First thing was coffee, but not a lot as it didn't taste too good after the party.
Breakfast (?): Half a strawberry at around 2:30. Not a good idea so gave the other half to the chickens.
Second try: A cautious cracker with marmite at 4:30. Didn't taste very good but I finished it, and it gave me the courage to cook for tonight. Anticipating the hangover I had marinated pork belly pieces yesterday, meaning there would be no way out of cooking today. I surprised myself by not only making a nice mixed vegetables dish to go with the baked pork, but also frying oyster mushrooms and making a spicy peanut sauce.
So evening meal was at around 10pm, and by then I had recovered enough to enjoy it and almost finish my plate too, bar a piece of meat for each of the dogs :hungry:
It may not look very appetizing, thanks to the peanut sauce, but it tasted wonderful! Which is a good thing, as there's plenty to last me for a couple more days :)
Thankfully nothing important to do today, except get back to my neighbour's garden to find my shoes :bag:
The shoes are still in my neighbour's garden though. Feeding all the pets and cooking dinner was more than enough activity for today.

106719777_10221240095946291_3773116977670700251_o.jpg

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I may have asked you this before, but have you ever considered you may be gluten intolerant?

You seem to quite like bread. I have a bit of a theory about foods we really like, and sometimes crave, but I'll spare you.

You talk of upset tummy, and aches and pains.

One of my major things if I take in gluten is joint pain. When I mistaken take in gluten, I find myself like a zombie; just wanting to snooze for hours on end. It's not a normal fatigue, it is deep, deep and like having a huge, heavy, heavy blanket thrown over me. My hands swell like little sausages and I can hardly make a fist. I get very bloated, then a couple of days later the bloat is all gone, in spectacular fashion, as a result of an increased attachment to the smallest room.

It takes me 2-3 weeks to get over that. I now never knowingly eat or drink anything containing gluten.

I used to think I might be gluten intolerant, but I did ask a doctor about it years ago at the Glasgow homeopathic hospital while I was there for tests. I was told not, but was warned that wheat may absorb chemicals during growth, which could be a problem. However, they didn't diagnose diabetes, which I now think I did have at that time. I was also tested, at another stage, at Stobhill Hospital in Glasgow by "the top man in Europe on allergies", who told me in the first 2 minutes of our meeting, that what I was suffering from was "neurasthenia" - all in the mind in other words. By that time I was aware of difficulties with sugar in particular and up 6 times every night for the toilet, but that wasn't taken into account.

When I was checked for the bowel issues (after diabetes diagnosis) they found cancer - early stages, so not difficult to deal with. That's why I was a bit concerned when my 2 year checkup didn't happen due to coronavirus.

I do like bread and sugar very much, and I appreciate that that could indicate an allergy. I do manage not to take sugar of any type and I try not to eat wheat, but am still very tempted and give in from time to time. But it isn't just wheat that pushes the BG up.

The worst thing for my bowel seems to be some vegetables - and cauliflower seems to be the worst of the lot (melon used to be an issue as well, but I no longer eat that due to sugar in it). Cucumber is not an issue though.

I often think I am too absorbed by health issues and should just get on with life and ignore diabetes, cancer and all, but when thing go very wrong, I change my mind.

Reactions: DJC3

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It's 10.45 and I think I will scramble some eggs and have breakfast. BG last night was 7.1 and is the same this morning (award my own "winner" for that).

I am in the process of pickling some cabbage and starting the process of fermenting some.

Later I will have some chicken thighs - MS V brought chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken this week, so will have to use them. I'll put them in something to marinate shortly, but haven't decided what. Could just make a chicken/mushroom casserole, I suppose. Whatever, it will have to be the chicken.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I hope everyone is having a lovely day. :) It's sunny and blustery here - a good day to get washing dry in the garden.

Breakfast: my usual Sunday brunch.... chaffle, mushrooms, fried eggs, Richmond vegetarian sausages (nice) and 100g baked beans - this is my main meal of the day
Lunch: Actimel drink
Dinner: Houmous and crumbled falafel wrapped in romaine leaves and a tiny bit of pomegranate molasses - you really don't need much of it as its really packs a punch

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, @Annb - I wasn't considering the wheat was only implicated on the high sugar (in terms of intolerance, although in terms of carb count), I was also wondering about some of your aches and pains and crushing fatigue.

The fatigue I experience when I have been "glutened" is utterly crushing.

I have no idea what sort of thyroid issues you have, but if you have Hashimoto's Syndrome, as many do, then being auto-immune, you will be more susceptible to other AI conditions.

In terms of you taking no sugars, you fairly regularly mention having a banana. For me, they're little sugar bombs, and could well be helping those numbers into uncomfortable places for you.

Ann, it's about time you started pressing for catch up appointments for all these outstanding issues. They're not going to come knocking on your door any time soon, and frankly, nobody cares about our health as we do ourselves.

The world is waking up from this COVID flare. In many places (obviously not Leicester!), routine clinics are happening again. OK, many are being done by phone/video calling, but you need to get yourself sorted out.

In your shoes, that my Doctor might be hard to get a hold of would not be a barrier to me protecting my health and wellbeing.

Reactions: DJC3 and maglil55

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's 10.45 and I think I will scramble some eggs and have breakfast. BG last night was 7.1 and is the same this morning (award my own "winner" for that).

I am in the process of pickling some cabbage and starting the process of fermenting some.

Later I will have some chicken thighs - MS V brought chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken this week, so will have to use them. I'll put them in something to marinate shortly, but haven't decided what. Could just make a chicken/mushroom casserole, I suppose. Whatever, it will have to be the chicken.

Air fryered chicken thighs. Very moist, with crackling skin to kill for. One of my favourite quick meals.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
It's having the same effect on me.

I must go look for the new Lindt chocolate.

I must go look for the new Lindt chocolate......

I must not buy any more Choceur dark hazelnut chocolate from Aldi.
(Repeat frequently)
Fortunately they do not stock it very often but then it has rarity value!