What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - 2 slices of corned beef and large mug of earl grey with double cream (even more watered down and it's fine)

Dinner - exact same as last night - peppered roast beef with cauliflower and broccoli cheese and a few squares of 100% black montezuma's with Almonds.

@maglil55 What is TAG?

@Chook well done you - amazing weight loss (you have certainly earned it) and I am sure the BG will have benefited from the fasting too! and have a lovely holiday.

@Rachox I bet you are glad the stitches are out and hopefully you will have a speedy recovery.

@shelley262 the steak looks fab - my mouth is watering Oh I do love a steak.:hungry:

Fitted in 2 long walks today as it has been nice and dry all day not like last night when we went out and got caught out in the heavy rain and looked like 2 drowned rats by the time we got back home. 20 minutes along the road from where I stay have had huge floods - poor souls - their houses are wrecked - it was on the news and the water was as high as some of the cars. Crazy times just now.:banghead:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - you need one of these for your visitor! Handy for catching the blighters at a distance. View attachment 43592

I did have one, but it finally gave up the ghost last week while I was catching a sudden "plague" of cluster flies. Must get a new one. The intruder last night was so far under the bed that I wouldn't have been able to reach it, even with a long handled spider catcher. In such cases, I usually use the Henry suction cleaner. But even that wouldn't have helped and, in any case it was tucked up in its cupboard and would have taken too long to get it out. No sign of the spider tonight but the chair gets ever less comfortable for my sore legs so I think I'll just have to brave it tonight and sleep in my own bed.

For some reason our fire alarms are going off every five minutes or so at present and Neil is trying to figure out what the problem is. Probably one of them needs a battery replaced. It's not fire - we've hunted everywhere to make sure. I didn't realise they had back up batteries - they are hard wired.

BG tonight very high - I had some bouillabaise but also some potato with it to soak up the (delicious) gravy. My own fault. BGs still ridiculously high, despite edging the insulin doses up so I shall have to give them another hike tonight and tomorrow and see what happens - not likely to be a hypo anyway, which is what the nurses are worried about. Still some bouillabaise left, so will have that tomorrow, without the potato.

Stomach seems to be settling down a bit, even with the veg in the fish stew, so maybe back onto something veggie tomorrow. There's some tofu in the fridge that needs to be used so might incorporate that - grilled or something. I don't usually use tofu - that's Neil's domain but the Cauldron one there is beginning to upset him and he has switched to a different make.

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
breakfast - yoghurt, toasted seeds and nuts and blueberries
lunch - mackerel pate and cucumber crudites
dinner - courgetti bolognese

treat - rum and coke zero

quite happy with BG today

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@Annb @maglil55 a vacuum for bugs? That is hilarious and probably really works!
I looked up berbere seasoning and will certainly make my own with little to No cayenne!! Also could use cocoa instead of fenugreek. I never buy that as it sits there for ten years unused!
Oh my gosh @Mrs T 123 that's hurricane-level flooding! Hurray for your walks!
Here are my grilled zucchini. Learned my lesson to cut them thick so they don't slide between the grill bars when you turn them!
IMG_2168.jpg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Annb - you need one of these for your visitor! Handy for catching the blighters at a distance. View attachment 43592

Last night I ordered this one from Amazon - it has an extra long reach so I can stay even further away from the spider or fly.

SPIDERCATCHER.jpeg

It's the same make as the one I had before, but longer. Not particularly well made, but it lasted a few years before finally falling apart.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
G'morning!!

@DCUKMod - I thought of you this morning - the Amazon deal of the day is a 6ltr Instant Pot for £70. :)

My dogs love a spidery snack - especially Millie. When they see them they just stare at them and salivate. If the spider is stupid enough to get within dog reach or scuttle across the floor they are gone in a moment. Yesterday when we got to the 'cottage ' they polished off a couple of huge ones from the weird covered pergola in the back garden

Thank you so much for all your congratulations! FBGs are pretty much back to normal - 7.8 this morning. I don't know about weight as this rented 'cottage ' hasn't got scales or, if it has, they are well hidden - as is the wifi router, the phone and a few other things that must be here somewhere.

Yesterday's planned menu went a bit wrong due to Asda running very late because of rubbish weather and problems finding this place in driving rain so we ordered an Indian takeaway delivery from the nearest village which turned up incredibly quickly. Not the best idea of mine as it was very, very yummy and I was very, very hungry so I ate too much and my FGs went up to 11.4 at the 2hr PP test. :banghead:

We ordered a lot of our usual foods from Asda home delivery as I'm a bit nervous about eating in restaurants - I haven't eaten out since lockdown but I will try to overcome this at least a couple of times this week.

So, today....

Breakfast: M&S Arbroath kippers with a squeeze of fresh lime (and, surprisingly it stayed down so fish is back on the menu)

Dinner: what we call 'Mum's salad' - cold boiled eggs, grated cheddar, quorn ham (first time I've tried this), lettuce, tomatoes (from my garden at home), radishes, cucumber, spring onions, beetroot and mayo - Mr C is having Aunt Bessies' roasties with his and I may have one if my BGs are good at the time.I

Dessert will be strawberries

Wine will definitely be consumed

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got the berebere spice mix from Amazon but I think you could use any African style spice mix, or just plain curry powder if nothing else.
Colin the Caterpillar is still a firm favourite with my family too. I love the sound of your chocolate fudge cake. I used to go to town on cakes. Fairy castles, swimming pools ( I used jelly too @Annb ) I made my dad a vegetable garden cake with tiny fondant carrots and cabbages and a compost heap. It was good fun at the time but I’ve become a much lazier cook as time has past.
What brand is the strawberry gin? Is it as good as the Aldi Seville orange one?
Hi the strawberry gin is JJ Whitley from the Drop Store. I ordered a couple of summery gins also Mango & Passionfruit which I havent tried yet. I really like their Blood Orange since the Aldi one isnt available for a while. The strawberry is a bit odd and wouldnt order it again tbh. BUT the new Bombay Bramble with infusion of blackberries and raspberries (“From the hedgerows” wouldnt you know lol) is FAB mixed with SS water. I have decided I am making up hampers for my two sons and friend in Kent for Christmas and will include a bottle in each. I have made some sticky fig chutney with balsamic and port to go with some artisan crackers and cheeses from the farm shop and a will make a small Christmas cake each. We dont expect to have our usual gathering this year sadly.
Today had my usual slice HiLo toast, butter, lots of tea for brekkie.
Lunch was a thinLy cut tiny slice farmshop bread with thick Camembert.
Supper will be lamb chump chop fried with mushrooms fried in the juices.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed to get wonderful calming 11k ramble fitted into my day - not planned ahead just some Care time freed up at last minute and weather breezy but sunny - perfect. New avatar me sat on a fallen tree trunk which was in our path - it’s been very windy this week as I’m sure my UK friends know!
Lunch picnic whilst on walk two boiled eggs with coffee
Dinner HM chicken curry - put in slow cooker this am- with Corriander salsa made with home grown tomatoes, and one finely chopped spring onion and diced fresh Corriander - plus two gins with soda water. DGF raspberry bakewell with a few garden berries and cream. Decaff coffee will be later probably with a square or two of montezumas 100% choc with orange oil. EDIT saw that an M and S bar 100% single origin Peru choc from youngest for birthday had very short date so started that it was delicious but seems high carb compared to montezumas ie it was 13.2 carb versus the 8 in montezumas 100% found it less bitter though.

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Didn’t get to eat this morning as I’d booked onto boot camp and thought it might not be advisable to eat beforehand ( felt a bit sick afterwards so I was glad I hadn’t) then a prearranged ‘play date’ dog walk in a very hilly woodland. Got home about 3pm ravenous. Had a Teaolat with cream, a bit of new bar of HC 100% Honduras chocolate, perfect! Then a bag of Cheesies as I didn’t think Id last til dinner.
Dinner was fresh tuna steak with salad incl avocado and cherry toms plus h/m mayo. Dry white wine.
@PenguinMum I love the sound of that Hedgerow gin from Bombay Sapphire. That’s definitely going on my Christmas list.
@shelley262 great new avatar and Jm so glad you got some ‘me time’
@Chook I’ve been trying to train Dennis to appreciate a spidery snack. Daughter’s cat used to love them but he barely notices them. Irritating as a falling leaf will send him wild with excitement. Glad you got to your holiday cottage safely, have a lovely holiday.
@zauberflote the grilled zucchini look great. Hope the h/m berebere works ok. I’d never have thought of substituting cocoa for fenugreek. Are they similar?
@Annb I’m glad your stomach seems to be settling.
@DCUKMod I don’t think I can get a nitrogen capsule for the soda stream sadly. I guess I could make an infusion the long winded way by soaking fruit in gin for a few months ( there was a craze a while back for making rumtopft ( sp?) in a similar way but with added sugar)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I never did think that tofu was for me - and it really isn't! Doesn't make me feel ill, just doesn't taste particularly palatable, even with spices and grilled. Just about edible. Now I'll need to find a better recipe for making the rest of the block of it a bit more tasty. Oddly Em, who has not long left, thought it was pretty good, just sprinkled with salt!

She's had so much sweet stuff today that I was surprised she wanted to eat anything else - her birthday treat was a "glamour" outing with 2 close friends (hairdresser and nail bar) followed by high tea at a restaurant on the west side of the Island. All 3 were pretty high by the time they got here. Em stayed while Dad took the other 2 home. They left the cake here until he came back. It really wasn't worth £40! Still, they really seem to have enjoyed the afternoon.

What I did with the tofu was to marinate it in a spicy yoghurt mix along with some cucumber and grilled the whole lot. Disappointing to say the least. The recipe actually called for peanut butter to be in the marinade but I thought that would make it too calorific so I left it out.

At least my stomach is still feeling OK, although my BG has been over 11 all day (starting with 11.9 FBG). A bit more hiking of the insulin is in order I think.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

@Chook can I borrow your dogs? Never been able to get those spider catcher things to work - always take too long and they rush off. Love those M&S Arbroath kippers.

Spent today on a steam train - Severn Valley Railway. Great fun but have been picking bits of coal out of my hair all evening.

Breakfast was eaten in the Refreshment Room at the old Kidderminster station. They were happy to do me bacon and eggs in place of the baps on the menu.

Back in Brum in time for a HC hot chocolate while I waited for a click and collect Nando’s order of wings and halloumi which formed dinner.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening all. Didn’t get to eat this morning as I’d booked onto boot camp and thought it might not be advisable to eat beforehand ( felt a bit sick afterwards so I was glad I hadn’t) then a prearranged ‘play date’ dog walk in a very hilly woodland. Got home about 3pm ravenous. Had a Teaolat with cream, a bit of new bar of HC 100% Honduras chocolate, perfect! Then a bag of Cheesies as I didn’t think Id last til dinner.
Dinner was fresh tuna steak with salad incl avocado and cherry toms plus h/m mayo. Dry white wine.
@PenguinMum I love the sound of that Hedgerow gin from Bombay Sapphire. That’s definitely going on my Christmas list.
@Chook I’ve been trying to train Dennis to appreciate a spidery snack. Daughter’s cat used to love them but he barely notices them. Irritating as a falling leaf will send him wild with excitement. Glad you got to your holiday cottage safely, have a lovely holiday.
@zauberflote the grilled zucchini look great. Hope the h/m berebere works ok. I’d never have thought of substituting cocoa for fenugreek. Are they similar?
@DCUKMod I don’t think I can get a nitrogen capsule for the soda stream sadly. I guess I could make an infusion the long winded way by soaking fruit in gin for a few months ( there was a craze a while back for making rumtopft ( sp?) in a similar way but with added sugar)

Our cats used to catch and eat anything that moved - I used to take birds and rabbits away from them regularly (while they were playing with them) until they got wise and didn't let me see their catch. We were never bothered with spiders or moths as long as we had those 2 cats. Sadly, it turned out that Neil is allergic to cats - especially male ones so once their time was up, they weren't replaced. I will not make pets of spiders!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

All that waiting, weeks on end, isn't for me.

If you don't want another gadget (it's the size of a drinking bottle. with both the charging top and a stopper/top for when the infusion, or soda water, or whatever is done. It uses those single use cartridges.

In your shoes, I'd probably be up for an experiment. It'd do a small batch, in a good quality vacuum or ziplock bag, in the IP, on the yoghurt setting, for a few hours.

I'd only do, say 150ml, as a tester, so there isn't much of a gamble going on. Just lob the gin, plus fruit into the bag - seal well, then if going down the pretendy sous vide route, give the fruit a little squidge, then put it into the pot, with a couple of inches of water in it. I'd be inclined to had it sit on a trivet (to keep it off the heated metal), and just start off with tepid/warm water from the tap, as it's not going to be consumed.

If it has infused, but not as much as you might like, give it longer next time, or add more fruit. It could be a little adventure.

Pineapple gin or vodka is lovely, as is gin (about 0.5 bottle), with the fine zest of an orange.

Reactions: DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not a good day, was started on antibiotics this morning by out of hours GP. One foot is healing well and virtually pain free, the other has become infected, so is red, swollen and throbbing :( Blood sugars strangely unaffected though so it’s not all bad!
Anyway food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: just a black coffee.
Didn’t feel like much lunch so just nibbled a few peacans.
Dinner: Chinese takeaway crispy duck, 2 tiny pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

mouseee

Evening!
Need to be accountable for what I'm eating at the moment as I'm struggling again. Very much hoping I can get control when back at work next week but I fear cake will feature and I'm not so good at avoiding it at the moment.

Have made some fab discoveries recently, coconut flour flat breads that actually stay together, mini milk ice lollies which are only 4g carbs... but eaten far too many carbs overall. Well, not so many compared with before diagnosis but still loads.

The carbs have hit and I am finding it hard to kick them again. I need to get off them once and for all. The addiction is real!

Bad things today have included a hot cross bun and a magnum.
Good things have included some oompf and salad at lunchtime.
Need more good and less bad.

I bought some nice stilton and I'll make LC crackers tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I can adapt my LC bread recipe to give me a cheese scone or a hot cross bun type of hit.

So tomorrow should consist of
Stilton and crackers for lunch,
Aldi LC pasta (love it!) with chicken, mushroom and pesto for dinner.
Hot cross style roll experiment for a snack.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening!
Need to be accountable for what I'm eating at the moment as I'm struggling again. Very much hoping I can get control when back at work next week but I fear cake will feature and I'm not so good at avoiding it at the moment.

Have made some fab discoveries recently, coconut flour flat breads that actually stay together, mini milk ice lollies which are only 4g carbs... but eaten far too many carbs overall. Well, not so many compared with before diagnosis but still loads.

The carbs have hit and I am finding it hard to kick them again. I need to get off them once and for all. The addiction is real!

Bad things today have included a hot cross bun and a magnum.
Good things have included some oompf and salad at lunchtime.
Need more good and less bad.

I bought some nice stilton and I'll make LC crackers tomorrow. I'm also wondering if I can adapt my LC bread recipe to give me a cheese scone or a hot cross bun type of hit.

So tomorrow should consist of
Stilton and crackers for lunch,
Aldi LC pasta (love it!) with chicken, mushroom and pesto for dinner.
Hot cross style roll experiment for a snack.
What make is the LC aldi pasta?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
brunch - 2 hard boiled eggs mashed up in a cup with butter. Mug of earl grey with double cream.

Dinner - salmon with mozarella, pesto and tomato and a large mixed salad with dollop of coleslaw. 2 squares of 100% black with Almonds and cup of earl grey with double cream.

I have lost 2lbs this week so looks like watering down/cutting back on the double cream is working - I was having a lot of it like a little cat :cat:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday
Late breakfast of scrambled eggs after dog walk
Snack of last 2 of yesterday's homemade low carb biscuits
D cold roast chicken and salad followed bya little fruit salad and clotted cream.

Am away again and yesterday was all other people trying to do low carb for me
Today we are back to self catering so
B: cold poached salmon with 40g cheddar cheese
D: steak and salad. Few raspberries with 2 montezuma peanut butter eggs and clotted cream.

Does anyone have any ideas how to use/ eat those peanut butter eggs without them being so cloying they physically glue my mouth together?