What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do seem to be having a hard time of it @maglil55. I hope you soon get over this bout of illness - perhaps as the weather improves, you will too. I gather we are due to have something a bit better than recent gales and storms.
Thanks. I just can't seem to shake this off. Having said that, it's not a week yet and it does seem to take longer to rid yourself of infections. I do feel slightly better than I was on Sunday/Monday.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Well, my low carb day turned magically into a very high carb day. I'm stressing a bit. Tomorrow it will be the first anniversary of my lovely daughter's passing and I miss her. I also go for a Covid test then isolate till Monday when I will be having a minor op on my hand, which Ive been told I must keep still for a week. So today I should have eaten cheese on toast for bf , smoked salmon and Philly on 2 Ryvitas for lunch and tonight egg mayo on Iceburg lettuce. It turned into 5 Ryvitas with butter and the last marmalade in my pantry, a whole bar of chocolate, and anything that wasn't nailed down! Feel awful that Ive let me down and you. Tomorrow's another day and hopefully, a better one.

Rosemary, I've been living this malarkey since 2013, and I can say with confidence there isn't one person around who has lived with this condition for a while who hasn't had a day they looked back on thinking, "what was I thinking?"

Whether the food was good, bad or indifferent,, it's one of those days we move on from. You absolutely haven't let anyone down.

Sometimes we have a lot to cope with, and I can appreciate you have a couple of biggies at the moment. Loss is so very hard. Yes, it gets easier with time, but that doesn't mean we don't miss the person a lot, and there are days when they will be forever in our thoughts. Just take those days as a sign of how much love you felt for them. That can never be a bad thing.

I hope your op goes well on Monday. Undoubtedly you'll be glad to get it over with.

You're doing extremely well. Don't let a bump in the road hinder your progress.:hungry:

In the spirit of the thread, I had my usual breakfast and lunch options yesterday, with a delish tray back at dinner.

We usually have some chorizo in the tray bake. It adds flavour, and gives off a lovely oil to coat the veggies to keep them soft. We tried a Fuet yesterday in chorizo's stead. That wasn't to our taste at all. It was hard, didn't give off any flavour or oil and tasted decidedly sweet to me. The remainder is not in the fridge. It's in the bin, which for us is unusual. We're pretty decent on food waste.

It's Lidl's Spanish week this week, in this area, so we have restocked the decent chorizo extra - not the little sausage size, but the 3" diameter beasties.

Reactions: Annb and Antje77

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: bacon, eggs and a slice of toast. BG pretty low to start off, rose a bit and then dropped back again to 5.9. That'll do me.

2nd meal: I have a choice - maybe mushrooms in a cream sauce (actually mascarpone because Neil couldn't get any double cream this week) or sausage and veg casserole - both currently in the oven. Neil bought the mushrooms last shopping day and they were out of date on 2nd March so he refused to use them. I don't have a problem with arbitrary use by, or best before dates. Also in the oven slices of butternut squash which was found lurking in the cupboard and the last 4 sausages from the packet. Just roasting them off to get them out of the cupboard/fridge - not sure when I'll use them.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast; paleo granola, low carb toast and butter
mocha
Lunch; bacon and brie toastie (I know) out and about. Lots of tea......
salted popcorn
Dinner: strawberries and cream. 90% lindt

I'm looking for advice, does anyone take turmeric tablets and/ or vitamin A. I want to start taking these for eyesight and pain relief benefits. Of course there is a bewildering array of choice. Investigation on the on the internet shows that I need a product which states 'turmeric extract'. I don't need the ones with vitamin D3 as I already take this. Any ideas gratefully received !

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A night of strange dreams followed a stressful and carb packed day yesterday, so wasn't surprised to wake feeling rough, but hungry.
Tried making a chocolate porridge with almond milk, milled seeds, ground almonds and coconut flour. Was more like a slightly thickened custard than porridge, but hit the comfort eating spot.
L was 2 ready cooked chicken thighs.
Fought a mild migraine all day until I had an hours nap which worked.
@Goonergal you'll laugh, I fell asleep listening to the Angela Stanton clubhouse on migraines! It cured mine !!
D will be a repeat of last nights meatloaf but with cabbage instead of carrots

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mocha
Lunch; bacon and brie toastie (I know) out and about. Lots of tea......
salted popcorn
Dinner: strawberries and cream. 90% lindt

I'm looking for advice, does anyone take turmeric tablets and/ or vitamin A. I want to start taking these for eyesight and pain relief benefits. Of course there is a bewildering array of choice. Investigation on the on the internet shows that I need a product which states 'turmeric extract'. I don't need the ones with vitamin D3 as I already take this. Any ideas gratefully received !
I'll answer on the other parallel thread.

Reactions: Antje77

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tori71 replied here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/th...ten-parallel-chat.177870/page-96#post-2492940
Strange start today after almost 5 years of low 30s hbaca1 - the DN said in my annual review - well as you’ve been in remission for almost 5 years I’m going to code you up as being in remission. It seems surgery has just adopted an in remission code as they are “getting more people doing this” Maybe there is some shift going on but she also said my cholesterol was abnormal and if I wouldn’t take statins I needed to reduce my fat consumption and she’d recommend a diabetic education programme to me to help..........wonder what I said? Find it kind of curious that with my normal bg, weight and blood pressure results and current excellent health that Im in need of re education! Needed the relaxation session at yoga after the telephone appt!
Food
First thing a few spoons of hm yoghurt with my supplements
Lunch mushrooms and two eggs fried in butter followed by hm yoghurt with a few berries and two squares of 100% choc with orange oil
Dinner salmon with lemon butter served with cauliflower mash and asparagus with glass of dry white followed by lc blondie with spoon of hm yoghurt.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Absent for a while, more of that on parallel thread.
Today’s food:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries washed down with a black coffee.
Late morning: black coffee and a PHD bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a Carb Killa bar.
Dinner: mushroom paté sandwich made with LC bread with coleslaw followed by DGF chocolate brownie and cream.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A night of strange dreams followed a stressful and carb packed day yesterday, so wasn't surprised to wake feeling rough, but hungry.
Tried making a chocolate porridge with almond milk, milled seeds, ground almonds and coconut flour. Was more like a slightly thickened custard than porridge, but hit the comfort eating spot.
L was 2 ready cooked chicken thighs.
Fought a mild migraine all day until I had an hours nap which worked.
@Goonergal you'll laugh, I fell asleep listening to the Angela Stanton clubhouse on migraines! It cured mine !!
D will be a repeat of last nights meatloaf but with cabbage instead of carrots
Dinner was supplemented with a microwave lc mug cake and 2 rum and sodas

RosemaryJackson

Rosemary, I've been living this malarkey since 2013, and I can say with confidence there isn't one person around who has lived with this condition for a while who hasn't had a day they looked back on thinking, "what was I thinking?"

Whether the food was good, bad or indifferent,, it's one of those days we move on from. You absolutely haven't let anyone down.

Sometimes we have a lot to cope with, and I can appreciate you have a couple of biggies at the moment. Loss is so very hard. Yes, it gets easier with time, but that doesn't mean we don't miss the person a lot, and there are days when they will be forever in our thoughts. Just take those days as a sign of how much love you felt for them. That can never be a bad thing.

I hope your op goes well on Monday. Undoubtedly you'll be glad to get it over with.

You're doing extremely well. Don't let a bump in the road hinder your progress.:hungry:

In the spirit of the thread, I had my usual breakfast and lunch options yesterday, with a delish tray back at dinner.

We usually have some chorizo in the tray bake. It adds flavour, and gives off a lovely oil to coat the veggies to keep them soft. We tried a Fuet yesterday in chorizo's stead. That wasn't to our taste at all. It was hard, didn't give off any flavour or oil and tasted decidedly sweet to me. The remainder is not in the fridge. It's in the bin, which for us is unusual. We're pretty decent on food waste.

It's Lidl's Spanish week this week, in this area, so we have restocked the decent chorizo extra - not the little sausage size, but the 3" diameter beasties.
Thank you so much @Breathe. That was a comfort.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My box of low carb Atkins bars came yesterday arvo at 5:00 pm.

Got them out of the packet and opened the box and they were all squishy soft as they had been been in the back of a truck most of the day. It was 35° celcius here so they were chucked in the fridge to harden up.

Taste testing later on today.

2moaxiX.jpg

bT7PPxe.jpg

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Three hard boiled eggs, two slices of toast and vegimite for breakfast.
Cheese and tomato low cab wrap, lemon cordial / osmolax mix for smoko.
Red Rooster chicken and veggies, gravy, last of the green jelly for lunch.
Bacon and cheese wraps for supper at six.

Four pepper crackers with cheddar cheese, with a little bit of kimchi on the them watching Prime.

Reactions: maglil55 and Annb

Bex72

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
government policies that increase inequality, brussel sprouts, neighbour's karaoke at 2am
Greek yoghurt, strawberries, flaked almonds and pecans,
Salad nicoise,
Handful of cashew nuts,
Jerk Chicken and salad

Battling to keep bg down as taking sertraline antidepressants (it's been a difficult year and a half) and my bg has been raised, 11.3 mml/l, eek. This is a side effect. I knew there was a problem as my vision went blurry. Some problems with bladder and bowel urgency/ control too, double eek! Looks like it might be time for some t2d meds, not metformin though (that made me too nauseous).
Hope you're all well , it's been a while x

Reactions: maglil55

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast: mushroom and shredded chard mixture with an egg mixed into it. Experimental. Haven't done it yet.

2nd meal: pan fried haddock (butter) and kale.

Once Em has gone home, I'll have to do something with about 5 or 6 sweet peppers, languishing in the fridges. Maybe a spicy base mixture for eggs for breakfast, or just ratatouille. Or maybe just get inventive and find some other bits and pieces to go with them and make something - don't know yet what it would be. There's a bit of a white cabbage that could do with using up, and some dark green ready shredded greens of some sort that Neil found in the supermarket. Lots of onions and garlic, about half a dozen tomatoes, courgettes, aubergine, cauliflower. Surely, amongst that lot, I'll find something interesting to make.

Tori71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
mocha and piece of 90% lindt
Lunch; chicken and mayo on the free low carb bread - a saintly 1.2g carbs! protein bar
salted popcorn mid afternoon
Dinner: 3 slices bacon on tiny cheese laden jacket (9g carbs) strawberries and cream. 90% lindt

Baking a no fail low carb chocolate loaf for family coming round tomorrow. I'm showcasing a low carb family dinner tomorrow for step niece who's Mum is diabetic, but who has been given the high carb, low fat advice. Trying to get her to join the site!

sent for some turmeric (thanks for advice everyone) and an eye support type supplement to go with the vitamin D3 and K2 - I'll be rattling!!

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
2793A60A-B2B3-4B54-B06F-DA74FA0E1963.jpeg

Photo is of my new improved cauliflower rice just about to go in oven I -
Chopped a few florets of cauliflower, grated some turmeric root and some ginger root plus a few spoons of Garam masala then mixed it all with organic coconut oil with ginger and spread out on a preheated tray for 20 mins at fan oven 180 .

First thing a few spoons of hm yoghurt and my supplements
Lunch tin of mackerel fillets in olive oil - bit frustrating as key broke when trying to open and fishy olive oil went everywhere- so ended up using tin opener phew got them out eventually! - a few of my hm salads and m and s lc seeded crackers followed by a few berries with hm yoghurt and two squares of 100% chocolate with orange oil
Dinner hm cauliflower rice with hm chicken curry, lots of fresh chopped Corriander and some hm cucumber and mint raita with glass of soda water with a measure of gin followed by a sf jelly made with a few mixed frozen berries and served with a spoon of each of my current hm yoghurts.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Woke with the Dawn Chorus, about 2 hours earlier than usual so had a decaff coffee with cream while listening to the podcast I fell asleep in yesterday!
Normal time breakfast was ff greek with berries and seeds and a mint tea
Lunch was bacon and portobello mushrooms and 2 small hm lc cheese roll savory things.
Afternoon of lc baking meant too many tastes and nibbles of gingerbread cookies and cinnamon swirl cake. Feeling quite bloated and headachy so skipping dinner.
Everything now safely frozen and out of sight.