Can Anyone Help Please - Event/meeting 1st September- Birmingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi , new to all this forum stuff but would be interested in the meeting in Birmingham,hopefully will gain more information on this condition it much coming from doctor.

That's brilliant news @PetefromStaffs :) I have popped you on my 'attending' list.

The meeting is an event for diabetics by diabetics. There will be lots of information on the condition there, the LCHF way of eating with all its fabulous benefits, of course the main one being controlling our BS. There will be many of the recipes we have concocted along the way that really keep our BS in check. Breakfast ideas, cakes and desserts won't be left off the menu!!! Info on cholestrol as many people are apprehensive about the HF part of this woe, so a little info on how cholesterol works. DCUK will have a speaker there too. And I'm putting together a booklet with our own inspirational stories, some before and after photos too. Plus much more. But it should be a very positive meeting for all involved.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to come- what a great initiative!
T1 for 19 years and followed Low Carb Hi Protein for 18 of those .
I’ve never been overweight and maintain 59 kg . Low Carb has meant I’ve been able to hang onto some beta cells and still only take about 20 units insulin a day in total. My HbA1C down from 6.7 to 5.8 now using Libre and MiaoMiao.

@Kbarbaracollins_ it would be great to have you on board. Ive added your name to my attendees list. Thank you.

You are an expert on the LC woe and your knowledge will be invaluable. Do you have any recipes that you might want to share? Ones you have made up yourself of course :)

You have managed to hang on to some beta cells and you are on a low dose on insulin which is fantastic. And your HBA1c has you in the non diabetic range. All your hard work is paying off. I know for sure that it would be great to have someone at the event that has experience of the libre. I have bought one but not yet used it as the sensors are out of stock.

I'm just awaiting DCUK to get back to me with venue details and then I can post an update. Wartch this space :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Would love to attend this. I'm in London at the moment but happy to travel to Birmingham if the venue has parking not too far away. However by 1st Sep I may have just moved to Suffolk (with bit of luck) so would have to check how easy it might be from there.
After all that....I guess I'm a maybe!

@bsandie I have popped you on my 'maybe' list with a little note 'dependent on where in the world you are' I do have a tendency to exaggerate! :)

I'm just awaiting confirmation from DCUK re venue which they hope to confirm by the end of the week. A full update will be posted as to where the event is up to as soon as possible. Thanks.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
If I had the opportunity I'd def attend, but there's a fair distance from Copenhagen to Birmingham. If you like you're welcome to add my two stones, and my A1C is now an estimated 5.2% measured over the last 2-3 months compared with the 13.4% at the end of March. I'm still on meds, but have cut back on them quite drastically in the same period, naughty me. My next endo appointment isn't till sometime in November, you see.
I really wish I could join you lot, and hope you have a smashing time. I also hope that the material you gather will be downloadable for us non-attendees?

Reactions: DJC3

JVH2310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's brilliant news :) I have popped you on my 'attending' list. It would be great to have attendees there who want to learn about LCHF and its benefits with regard to controlling BS, putting this beast into remission or even reversing it. And losing weight is usually the icing on the low carb cake!

No need for contact details @JVH2310 as I will keep you updated via this forum. As soon as I get the venue confirmed (DCUK hoping by the end of the week) I will be giving a full update.
When you talk about going into remission or reversing does that mean the event is only for those with T2? I'm T1 so there's no reversing for me!

Reactions: Debandez

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When you talk about going into remission or reversing does that mean the event is only for those with T2? I'm T1 so there's no reversing for me!

No absolutely not, it's for anyone Diabetic interested in the LCHF woe to gain health benefits. So sorry for not making that clear.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I had the opportunity I'd def attend, but there's a fair distance from Copenhagen to Birmingham. If you like you're welcome to add my two stones, and my A1C is now an estimated 5.2% measured over the last 2-3 months compared with the 13.4% at the end of March. I'm still on meds, but have cut back on them quite drastically in the same period, naughty me. My next endo appointment isn't till sometime in November, you see.
I really wish I could join you lot, and hope you have a smashing time. I also hope that the material you gather will be downloadable for us non-attendees?

@briped. It is rather a long way for you to come so I will make sure you get feedback if I have to come over to Copenhagen and give it to you myself! Of course I'm joking. I'm hoping that there will be lots of feedback from the event for members to read on the brilliant DCUK site.

You have done amazingly well reducing your HBA1c levels so much in such a short time. Well Done. That has to be one of the best set of figures I've seen so far to be honest. Inspirational. I've added your weight and HBA1c details and thank you for allowing that.

Well done on all your hard work especially as I can see it has been done over what must have been a traumatic time in your life. So sorry to read about your dad. But you brought a smile to my face when you mentioned about the almonds. And I'm absolutely sure he would have been smiling too.

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
@briped. It is rather a long way for you to come so I will make sure you get feedback if I have to come over to Copenhagen and give it to you myself! Of course I'm joking. I'm hoping that there will be lots of feedback from the event for members to read on the brilliant DCUK site.

You have done amazingly well reducing your HBA1c levels so much in such a short time. Well Done. That has to be one of the best set of figures I've seen so far to be honest. Inspirational. I've added your weight and HBA1c details and thank you for allowing that.

Well done on all your hard work especially as I can see it has been done over what must have been a traumatic time in your life. So sorry to read about your dad. But you brought a smile to my face when you mentioned about the almonds. And I'm absolutely sure he would have been smiling too.

Thanks for your ever so kind words, Debandez. You're welcome in Copenhagen anytime, and for diabetic tourists we have a special offer. Come with briped to her next endo appointment. Should be fun ;)

By far most of my hard work was done while my dad was still 'ok, but just getting old'. Then it all happened very quickly, and within just 6 weeks he was gone. I couldn't fathom it, which is probably why I could keep my hands off his chocolates and live on salami chips, bell cheese and almonds while watching over him. I still can't believe it's only 9 days ago.

I'm very much an either or person, I think. I can't have just a tiny slice of cake because it reminds me how much I enjoy it, so better not touch it at all + I can be very stubborn. Yes, I'm sure that from a parallel society somewhere he was watching, laughing at my almonds :)

I really hope your gathering at Birmingham will be a huge success. :)

Reactions: Debandez and DJC3

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your ever so kind words, Debandez. You're welcome in Copenhagen anytime, and for diabetic tourists we have a special offer. Come with briped to her next endo appointment. Should be fun ;)

By far most of my hard work was done while my dad was still 'ok, but just getting old'. Then it all happened very quickly, and within just 6 weeks he was gone. I couldn't fathom it, which is probably why I could keep my hands off his chocolates and live on salami chips, bell cheese and almonds while watching over him. I still can't believe it's only 9 days ago.

I'm very much an either or person, I think. I can't have just a tiny slice of cake because it reminds me how much I enjoy it, so better not touch it at all + I can be very stubborn. Yes, I'm sure that from a parallel society somewhere he was watching, laughing at my almonds :)

I really hope your gathering at Birmingham will be a huge success. :)

When is your appointment? Im on Ryanair site as I type ;-)

It was very fast for your dad. But at least he didn't suffer so long. That would have been awful. I had a similar scenario with my mum 11 years ago, short illness. Gone but never forgotten and she is still my driving force. It's very raw for you as only 9 days. You will be feeling all sorts of emotions. You just have to go with it and focus on the fact that in a while things will get better for you. I can assure you of that.

You can still have your cake...and eat it! Can I find you a low carb cake recipe? Are you into baking? Then add some double cream and ta daaaaaa.

I hope Birmingham is a great success too. If so we can do it all again and if we sort dates well in advance you might just be able to come!

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Debandez
I doubt I can make it, but I wish you every success. My story - HbA1c down from 53 to 35 in 3 months, lost a total of 3.5 stone now, down from a size 16/18 to size 10. But my greatest success is in coming off blood pressure medication! I had been on it for 6 years and now I don't need it!!! I feel so fit now and am really active. Life's great.

Reactions: Jemz and Debandez

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
When is your appointment? Im on Ryanair site as I type ;-)
But they're on strike, and I really can't go to my endo appointment without you :nailbiting:

It was very fast for your dad. But at least he didn't suffer so long. That would have been awful. I had a similar scenario with my mum 11 years ago, short illness. Gone but never forgotten and she is still my driving force. It's very raw for you as only 9 days. You will be feeling all sorts of emotions. You just have to go with it and focus on the fact that in a while things will get better for you. I can assure you of that.

He was diagnosed only about 7 weeks ago. The undiscovered cancer had spread to his bones, and it was too late to do anything but give him TLC. He suffered a lot before then, being given only paracetamol to ease the pain from his crumbling spine. My mum passed away 2½ years ago, sending me into a black carbfilled hole for two years. I've only just come out of that, so it's important that I don't stumble and fall again.

You can still have your cake...and eat it! Can I find you a low carb cake recipe? Are you into baking? Then add some double cream and ta daaaaaa.

I've made yummy one minute microwave cakes twice :) However, I had no cooking facilities at my dad's, and really have to watch my cals too. Weight loss isn't easy at 57 years.

I hope Birmingham is a great success too. If so we can do it all again and if we sort dates well in advance you might just be able to come!

Maybe Ryan Air will be back at work by then :hilarious:

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know for sure that it would be great to have someone at the event that has experience of the libre. I have bought one but not yet used it as the sensors are out of stock.
Sensors are as far as I know still available over the counter (but have to be ordered) from Superdrug @£35, and from Boots and Asda dearer.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
or even reversing it
IMO avoiding this terminology would be wise. A lot of internet charlatans talk abut "reversing diabetes" because they don't dare say, "curing". Also we see a lot of newly diagnosed people here who are sadly chasing after the dream of reversing their condition, when they would be better off putting their energies into managing and accepting it.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Debandez
I doubt I can make it, but I wish you every success. My story - HbA1c down from 53 to 35 in 3 months, lost a total of 3.5 stone now, down from a size 16/18 to size 10. But my greatest success is in coming off blood pressure medication! I had been on it for 6 years and now I don't need it!!! I feel so fit now and am really active. Life's great.
Thank you for your good wishes @archersuz how good are your results!!! Not just amazing weight loss in such a short period of time but coming off your BP meds totally!!! And you had been on it for 6 years. Incredible. Well done for taking such control of your health and well being
Inspirational. Is it ok to add your story to the others I'm collating for event day? It would be absolutely amazing if you could make it especially as there will be a photographer capturing our successes. It's going to have a massive impact when we all stand there side by side saying this woe has reversed/put into remission this beast of a condition! Completely understand if you can't. I'm hopefully going to be able to confirm the venue tomorrow. Exciting times. Thanks again for taking the time to tell your story.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
IMO avoiding this terminology would be wise. A lot of internet charlatans talk abut "reversing diabetes" because they don't dare say, "curing". Also we see a lot of newly diagnosed people here who are sadly chasing after the dream of reversing their condition, when they would be better off putting their energies into managing and accepting it.

I do usually put reversing/putting into remission/controlling as I understand people fit info all 3 categories. My sister reversed hers completely. So I know it is manageable. I class mine as in remission as I know that going back to the old lifestyle would probably put me right back to square 1. When I found this site I was chasing the dream too and personally I feel I found it :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sensors are as far as I know still available over the counter (but have to be ordered) from Superdrug @£35, and from Boots and Asda dearer.
Thanks. I will check with Boots and Asda tomorrow as this will save me a 30 mile round trip :)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a very quick update, DCUK think they have the perfect venue for us and are hoping to get back to us with details very soon so I expect to put out further details in the next day or so. I will also give you a run down of where we are up to with everything. Exciting times. DCUK will be designing invitations. Very official it will be :) that said the events that they run are relaxed affairs, I love the sound of that. Thanks for all your input everyone, it really has been amazing.

Reactions: DJC3

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Just a very quick update, DCUK think they have the perfect venue for us and are hoping to get back to us with details very soon so I expect to put out further details in the next day or so. I will also give you a run down of where we are up to with everything. Exciting times. DCUK will be designing invitations. Very official it will be :) that said the events that they run are relaxed affairs, I love the sound of that. Thanks for all your input everyone, it really has been amazing.
You've put a lot of effort into this. Will be interesting to see how things pan out. Are you able to ensure that DCUK invites delegates from outside the LCHF adherents. These are the ones who need to hear the message and where awareness needs to be aroused.

Despite efforts and guidelines it appears that over half of those diagnosed do not reach the target guidelines and suffer complications. It gets progressively worse amongst younger patients.

https://bmcendocrdisord.biomedcentral.com/track/pdf/10.1186/s12902-017-0175-5

It's an appalling statistic indeed. One can draw conclusions that older people have more success simply because they take affirmative action when complications begin to appear or that those did not manage correctly have met with an early visit to the big guy upstairs. This is the audience that would benefit most from your efforts.

Good luck,
Glenn

Annlou

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Please could you add me to the attendees list? New to adopting a more lchf approach to my diabetes control and currently confused by conflicting information and opinions.
Absolutely fabulous that you are organising an event like this as meeting up with other people with Diabetes is by far the most helpful and supportive thing in managing the condition and living a full life

Reactions: DJC3 and Debandez
Status
Not open for further replies.