Forum ideas

dorsetlad

Dislikes
T2
Personally, under the food and nutrition forum, the titles just don't read well. What is "low-carb diabetes" & "non low-carb diabetes"? Surely "low carb diets" & "non low carb diets" would read much better. :?

Brian

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't like the lo-carb/non lo-carb labels at all. Non lo-carb covers just too much ground...

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
I can access the website on my phone (iphone) perfectly fine, it's just a smaller version and i pinch the screen to zoom in and out.

An app would be great though!

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thread res :)

Any progress on the App for the forum etc?

Terminator 2

Is there a Forum Android App?, using OnTrack at the present.

Continuing on the smartphone vein, is the forum on Tapatalk?

Helenababe

A thank you button, for people's posts? If there is one already I can't find it.

And 'smilies' for the quick reply?

Helena

jopar

louiseb said:
I think newbies should be able to send and recieve private messaged straight away.
I read somewhere that they have to have made a certain amount of posts before being able to access pm?
there was a member kindly offering free meters but cant obtain the newbies adddress to post them due to not being able to pm them.
also when a new member joins and a modertor needs to contact them its isnt ideal that the newbie has to have posted x amount of posts before sending accessing the pm function.

This is common with most forums and is a restriction that SHOULD NOT be removed..

The purpose of the restriction is the verious abuses that happens with an non-restricted pm system..

First you've got spammers who don't post but PM. it is very difficult to ban a member if you have no IP address stamp on the forum, the only way of generating an IP is by posting to a thread..

As an Ex-Moderator of the forum and in the days before resrtictions on the PM it was abused by verious members of the forum, as a method of touting new members into their gang, it was also used to pass instruction between each other concerning which member to attack on open forum etc... I also knew when trouble was going to kick off, just by monitoring the pm activity what username was sending or recieving PM's...

And ensuring that members post on the forum before they get the PM facility, ensures that spammer and Trolls are kept off the forum as much as possible..

Take note since this restriction been put into place, there's been very little attacks of other members on the forum..

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Talking of those smiley emoticons .. I'd like to see a thumbs-up one added 8) :thumbsup:

Terminator 2

Hobs said:
Talking of those smiley emoticons .. I'd like to see a thumbs-up one added 8) :thumbsup:

Good call
1sm084thumbsup.gif

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Terminator 2 said:
Hobs said:

Good call
1sm084thumbsup.gif

Yes, it is a good call and I'm glad at least one other member thinks so too, but obviously admin here really do not give a dam* about what would be a good addition to the forum... :shrug:
I own and run (with the help of co-hosts) several forums, some self-help and another in the 'general-social' catorgory, and adding extra emoticons is a very easy process.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hobs,

That's quite an unfair comment. The site + forum are continually updated. As you're aware as an owner of a number of forums, changes are best made gradually.

We have implemented several changes over the last few months. The +1/thumbs up feature is 100% something that we're looking to do. However, as we're building it from scratch it's taking some time.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
ill3st: The forum app is taking a little longer than expected... we're trying to see if we can apply a mobile skin in order to allow easier mobile access from non-Android/iOS devices

Terminator 2

Continuing on the smiley emoticon thingies...

Might be an idea to review all the wee smiley guys & gals as their a fairly basic looking bunch of usual suspects, they've come on a bit :p (at this point I'd add a thumbsup :lol:)

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Dislikes
Terminator 2 said:
Continuing on the smiley emoticon thingies...

Might be an idea to review all the wee smiley guys & gals as their a fairly basic looking bunch of usual suspects, they've come on a bit :p (at this point I'd add a thumbsup :lol:)

If does not take much reviewing in a phpBB engined forum! All that is needed is accessing the admin console and selecting 'smilies' from Section 3. Styles, .. and then Smiles Editing Utility >>> "From this page you can add, remove and edit the emoticons or smileys that your users can use in their posts and private messages."

No 118 will enable :thumbright: .. which is a right handed thumb-up.

ill3st

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Administrator said:
ill3st: The forum app is taking a little longer than expected... we're trying to see if we can apply a mobile skin in order to allow easier mobile access from non-Android/iOS devices

Appreciate the reply chum. Glad to see it's taking shape.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hobs, thanks for letting us know. Didn't realise it was so simple, we've installed 8 more smilies.

:thumbup:

If there are any more you'd like us to add, just ping us the link on here and we'll install it. Also, if you know of any thumbs up modules for phpbb3, we'd happily take a look as we couldn't find anything that was 90%+ right for the forum.

illest - last time you asked for a forum update, the forum went down! :think:

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
New icons are:

:angel: :clap: :crazy: :eh: :lolno: :problem: :shh: :shifty: :thumbup: :thumbdown: :think: :silent: :sick: :wave: :***: :yawn: