Have I messed up here? (Going too fast?)

jjne

As some of you will know about three months ago I was diagnosed with T2, my hba1c was 114.

Since then I have lost three stone, my blood sugars are now hovering in the 7s most of the time and I have been feeling better.

Essentially no carbs ingested.

However this last week things have gone south somewhat. I have lost 4kg in a week. I have had no bowel movements in well over a week. I feel weak at times. My sweat has this really odd smell (which others cannot detect but I can) and my ability to use the treadmill has gone down somewhat.

I'm not particularly eating any less but this feels wrong somehow. If I look at most vegetables (peppers, tomato etc) I wretch. My sugar levels have actually risen slightly, although this has happened before. It's all very peculiar, and puzzling.

It's almost as if I'm missing something in my diet here. Is there anything obvious in this description?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you should seek medical attention. Whatever is causing those symptoms may have nothing to do with diabetes. That much loss of weight in a week could be concerning.

It is very easy to think everything is related to diabetes and it may be but the symptoms are such that my recommendation is to get medical attention.

Reactions: lessci

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's almost as if I'm missing something in my diet here. Is there anything obvious in this description?

The only obvious thing that I'm wondering is whether you finally got those GAD and c-peptide results?

But I also agree with @VashtiB , those medical symptoms need medical attention.

Lisa69free

As some of you will know about three months ago I was diagnosed with T2, my hba1c was 114.

Since then I have lost three stone, my blood sugars are now hovering in the 7s most of the time and I have been feeling better.

However this last week things have gone south somewhat. I have lost 4kg in a week. I have had no bowel movements in well over a week. I feel weak at times. My sweat has this really odd smell (which others cannot detect but I can) and my ability to use the treadmill has gone down somewhat.

I'm not particularly eating any less but this feels wrong somehow. If I look at most vegetables (peppers, tomato etc) I wretch. My sugar levels have actually risen slightly, although this has happened before. It's all very peculiar, and puzzling.

This sounds like me before waking up in ICU with DKA. Get medical advice please. I lost a lot of weight, felt sick and bloated all the time. Are you always thirsty and going to the toilet more?

jjne

Thanks, yeah I've not heard anything re the tests and the GP actually wanted me to go in for an a1c a couple of weeks back which would suggest they've heard nothing as a1c was ticked on the test sheet at the hospital.

I will have a word.

jjne

This sounds like me before waking up in ICU with DKA. Get medical advice please. I lost a lot of weight, felt sick and bloated all the time. Are you always thirsty and going to the toilet more?

No, in fact I'm going to the toilet less and experiencing little thirst. I am probably going to be dragged into hospital here aren't I?

Lisa69free

When you are in ketosis, your body eats itself to get energy hence the weightloss. I didn't even cut carbs but because my body couldn't access the glucose needed it had to use my fat and muscle as energy. Ring Dr today please

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi jjne, it could be anything of course and as you know, none of us can diagnose. I agree with the others, seek medical advice as soon as possible. Not to alarm you but to rule things out. I went into DKA on diagnosis. To cut a long story short, going into DKA can happen very, very fast, sometimes within hours. You may even be feeling ok when it happens. You mention your glucose levels going up slightly (but they may suddenly shoot right up at any time and quickly) and you mention the odd smell, that could be ketones, you also mention losing weight within a week and tiredness. This to me, points to a potential problem, don't dilly dally, seek advice and at least get something sinister ruled out. If it turns out to be dietary ketosis then that's all good but don't take any chances.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just to put things into perspective, DKA kills pretty fast without insulin, so if you get it then going into hospital is the least of your issues. (In fact, hospitalisation would be good). Hopefully you don't have DKA but it's a possibility that you want to rule out. If you think it might be happening, then 111 is a good call...

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky

I agree with others here, you need to get medical attention. My first thought was, "I wonder if this person has been misdiagnosed, and is a type 1 diabetic, not type 2."? But I am no expert. You need to see a doctor a.s.a.p.

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Yeah.... That doesn't sound quite right. You can lose a lot of weight and bowel movements can alter on low carb, but 4 kilo's and everything else you mention... That's not good. Don't wait. Call for help now.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Blood sugars need to be over 13 mmol/l for an extended period of time for DKA. Sugars at 7 mmol/l suggest other investigations are needed for a non-diabetic related illness.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Happened to me after I was diagnosed and started keto. Keto breath and keto BO. I also had low energy. You might consider buying some ketone urine strips to see where your at. Maybe pull back on the treadmill until you get things figured out.

Hertfordshiremum

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No, in fact I'm going to the toilet less and experiencing little thirst. I am probably going to be dragged into hospital here aren't I?
Have you got a Libre or are you just finger pricking? If you haven’t got a Libre you could be going sky high in between testing. I was mis diagnosed initially and hoped it would sort itself out, it didn’t! Far nicer to go and get checked out via GP or hospital of your own accord than being raced to hospital in an ambulance. It might be anything but whatever the problem it’s not right and as you are diabetic you have to be extra careful. I am hoping you have gone to the GP or A&E this morning, get them to send off a blood test for GAD antibodies to rule in or out Type 1 Best wishes and hoping you get it sorted quickly.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You do need some carbs so that you have enough fibre in the diet. Choose fibrous ones. Your BS doesn't indicate a risk of DKA but something isn't right so get it checked

jjne

I wasn't able to get through to the doctors today and will try again tomorrow.

I have been thinking the same thing re the carbs but my experiment this evening did not go well. A tin of supermarket brand minestrone soup, a mere 25g of carbs, spiked me from a baseline of 8.0 to 11.4 two hours after eating. Oh dear. Now have to hope that hasn't undone all the graft of the last months...

If it doesn't settle back this evening then really the only explanation is lack of insulin, right?

The weird thing, though, is that I do *feel* better. I think my system still "dislikes" relatively normal glucose levels.

Dollylolly

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
The docs thinking drugs cure all
Personally I’d be going to A&E to be honest

Dandelade

I have been thinking the same thing re the carbs but my experiment this evening did not go well. A tin of supermarket brand minestrone soup, a mere 25g of carbs, spiked me from a baseline of 8.0 to 11.4 two hours after eating. Oh dear. Now have to hope that hasn't undone all the graft of the last months...

If it doesn't settle back this evening then really the only explanation is lack of insulin, right?

The weird thing, though, is that I do *feel* better. I think my system still "dislikes" relatively normal glucose levels.
I don’t know anything about worrying levels of weight loss, and odd changes other than yea please do get it checked.

However, those numbers were nearly exactly mine, 7/8 before food and 10-15 after with similar carbs. I cut all carbs down to just whatever is in the green veg I was eating and meat (or cheese and nuts when meated out), which after a couple of weeks got down to the 5/6s. Maybe your body just doesn’t like those types of carbs?

Also the same as you I felt ill at those lower levels at first but my body got used to it after a few weeks and 5/6 became the new normal but feel ill if go higher now.

Whatever it is for you I hope it works out and isn’t something more serious.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

After no carbohydrates for so long, with weightloss and feeling not right, it really is something your GP should be sorting out, I think, as you are not reacting like a typical type two - i.e. me.