Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll stick my neck out & suggest the OPs "get out of jail free card" on the diet, could be the 8units of lantus..?
Her diet would certainly be deadly for me. I agree the insulin helps the medicine go down, but my projected HbA1c is lower than hers. So there you have it. And i had 2 strokes and a heart attack way before I ever started LC diet, so have to blame Eatwell for that. That or Actos / Avandia that I was on at the time.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please read the two links from Dark Horse and you have the answer.
For the not diabetic they will get the problems with Atkins LC diet i.e. 5 -10 carbs/day.
If the person do not die from hypoglycaemia then he will die from i.e. atherosclerosis
It is very complicated to make debate in this forum about the biochemical processes by the TCA cycle.
We exchange opinions and I have understud what is your opinion and I have no more to add.
Thanks for your participation.
https://jdmdonline.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40200-016-0235-9
http://www.gponline.com/high-fat-diet-raises-complication-risk-diabetes/article/1122869
The first article is a personal blog that is not co-vetted or peer reviewed. It is a personal opinion that has no experimental evidence to back it up, and is based solely on computer simulations.
It starts off by stating <<In cases of elevated plasma free fatty acids, this condition ultimately leads to a shift from unsaturated to saturated fatty-acyl chains in membrane phospholipids. Because this shift......>> i,e it makes the assumption that this condition causes the condition on which the thesis develops. BUT the body normally regulates the amount of FFA taken from the adipocytes into the plasma, so the condition described must be a fault condition that is not further defined by the author. So we either take this condition to be a 'normal' regular event, or we must assume it is a rare condition.

This is a dodgy premise on which to base a thesis on unless it is properly defined as to how it can occur (i.e. scope of the article) In a previous posting of mine, I did show that experimetally this condition of FFA overload has to be artificially forced using bovine FFA extractions. I am not convinced it is a achievable as a result of dietary intake, or that it is a result of VLC diet.

That article does NOT IMHO answer the question at all.

Dark Horse

If you read your first text there stay:
"I eat salad greens, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, mushrooms, celery, radish, onions and a few odds and ends low carb veggies. I eat about 4 ounces quality protein, an avocado a day, olive oil, olives and a few nuts and seeds. Looking at my diet please advise what part is going to kill me and cause complications? "

Now you write:
" I am not at all a vegetarian. Vegetarians don't eat beef, lamb, poultry, bison, fish etc. I eat very low carb, moderate protein and higher healthy fat. A great diabetic diet in my opinion."

What is up or down? Sorry, I do not understand you.
" 4 ounces of quality protein" - I think this is being used to describe meat and fish.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My doctor told me today that I am effectively no longer a diabetic and asked me how I had done it well the answer was losing six stones in weight and achieving blood sugar control and that was done by way of LCHF he has no problem with that so I shall carry on with it

I should add that he also said if I went back to a diet high in carbs I could find my self back where I started.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
With that kind of diet I'm sure I'd be on similar medication. But as I follow the LCHF way of eating I'm happy to say I have no need for any meds, apart from thyroid hormones. Myy HbA1c is 32 and my cholesterol is perfect.

Love it!! Well done.

Personally, I think big improvements would be made in Luna50 reducing meds if the carbs in the food went....

Relying on meds to cure health probs only leads on to other side effects from
The meds being taken.

People need to realise that The current population are really the "live" guinea pigs for medications.... Only insulin has really been monitored for 50 + years and had advancements of a soft made..

Relying upon meds instead of eliminating "jam!!' and bread to me is not good....

Cut the **** and cut the meds needed.

Yes, bread and jam is a total
non necessary dietary need.

As said earlier.. I low carbed 40+ years.. I've never chrcked for ketosis (or dka) in that time. Not on statins, barely a size 8 and good BP and hba1c and T1 30+ years.

The more I read on this post the more I believe that I have been right to lower carb all my adult/teen life... I had wondered about my stomach n cancer etc and whether lchf may have contributed towards it BUT!!!! And s big BUT on this... The biggest food my stomach doesn't handle is bread and pasta and rice......so actually.. carry on Lchf's......analysing my own health.... the only things that screw my body up eating and digesting is "heavy" carbs like the bread, pasta, rice, jacket potatoes, and red meat.......

Lunar50... We all arr different but to me, I have now realised I could have been having huge problems a lot earlier in my life if I had not been a LCHF person.... Someone willing to do her damndest not to rely upon medication in preference to a diet that has kept her pretty good really when battling bad genes... To me, you are hellbent to keep bread and jam in your life in and just relying on meds instead of helping yourself..

Reactions: 4 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I'll stick my neck out & suggest the OPs "get out of jail free card" on the diet, could be the 8units of lantus..?

What about the other 3 meds?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Love it!! Well done.

Personally, I think big improvements would be made in Luna50 reducing meds if the carbs in the food went....

The meds being taken.

People need to realise that The current population are really the "live" guinea pigs for medications.... Only insulin has really been monitored for 50 + years and had advancements of a soft made..

Relying upon meds instead of eliminating "jam!!' and bread to me is not good....

As said earlier.. I low carbed 40+ years.. I've never chrcked for ketosis (or dka) in that time. Not on statins, barely a size 8 and good BP and hba1c and T1 30+ years.

The more I read on this post the more I believe that I have been right to lower carb all my adult/teen life... I had wondered about my stomach n cancer etc and whether lchf may have contributed towards it BUT!!!! And s big BUT on this... The biggest food my stomach doesn't handle is bread and pasta and rice......so actually.. carry on Lchf's......analysing my own health.... the only things that screw my body up eating and digesting is "heavy" carbs like the bread, pasta, rice, jacket potatoes, and red meat.......

Lunar50... We all arr different but to me, I have now realised I could have been having huge problems a lot earlier in my life if I had not been a LCHF person.... Someone willing to do her damndest not to rely upon medication in preference to a diet that has kept her pretty good really when battling bad genes... To me, you are hellbent to keep bread and jam in your life in and just relying on meds instead of helping yourself..

Your stats are just incredible:) LC 40 years + outstanding:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What about the other 3 meds?
Well? I don't use any of the "other 3 meds" myself..
I have no choice but to use insulin.
The metformin mentioned by the OP doesn't seem to handle the diet on its own..? Which ironically coupled with just a basal dose of just Lantus, the OP's pancreas must be doing something to cover the meals..? (No MDI regime.)

Then you are left with the remaining 2 cholesterol & BP meds..

So, the OP must be doing something "right" with this particular diet. Which puts Luna50 in a position to question the "validity" of LC.. o_O

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
To add to that, Insulin is used by the body to limit the release of FFAs and as insulin resistance increases in type 2 diabetes, so the ability to regulate FFAs is reduced. Typically this is an issue more in someone who does not have a lipid adapted metabolism.

Hello Tim
Imagine that you have two water pipes. The pipes are off iron.
In one of them float a clean water without dissolved molecules off calcium, magnesium and other minerals. It is the water you use to fill your motor car accumulator.
In the other pipe float the water from the waterworks, the water you drink in your kitchen.
What do you thing will happen with this two pipes after many years water float?
I can tell you. In the pipe where float the accumulator water there will be not sediments on the pipes lumen wall, opposite will happen with the pipe where float a water from waterworks.
This pipe will be block up with the time .
By analogy with this, the same will happen with your arteries if there float to much FAT in them.
This here is what all people understand and do not need proof off evidences by the internet.
Please, think about this
Have a nice day

luna50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Love it!! Well done.

The meds being taken.

To Lonellysdogs
If you do not eat carbs, then your organism do not get the essential micro nutrients that are a part of the nutrient who contends carbs.
I am sorry to read about your different disorder's, but you can get answer by your physician.
Your T1DM is different then T2DM. You are a long term patient and many with T1DM who I know have a lot of problems.
I am managing my problems with the T2DM on this way, because I know it is right to do that on this way. The organism must have a homeostasis between the carbs and the fat. To eat only proteins and fat it is an artificial simulation of starvation. If this has been normal, then the nature evolution has for a long time ago solved this problem.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-are-micronutrients-definition-types-foods-importance.html

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The L and the D are a long way apart on a keyboard.

Difficult to imagine you made that error by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Tim
Imagine that you have two water pipes. The pipes are off iron.
In one of them float a clean water without dissolved molecules off calcium, magnesium and other minerals. It is the water you use to fill your motor car accumulator.
In the other pipe float the water from the waterworks, the water you drink in your kitchen.
What do you thing will happen with this two pipes after many years water float?
I can tell you. In the pipe where float the accumulator water there will be not sediments on the pipes lumen wall, opposite will happen with the pipe where float a water from waterworks.
This pipe will be block up with the time .
By analogy with this, the same will happen with your arteries if there float to much FAT in them.
This here is what all people understand and do not need proof off evidences by the internet.
Please, think about this
Have a nice day

Both iron pipes will rust. Regardless of water deionisation...

Mineral deposits (such as in "hard water" areas.) tend to occur in the hot water system due to water evaporation? Thus leaving deposits around heating elements, pumps, & outlets like taps & shower heads....

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
To Lonellysdogs
If you do not eat carbs, then your organism do not get the essential micro nutrients that are a part of the nutrient who contends carbs.
I am sorry to read about your different disorder's, but you can get answer by your physician.
Your T1DM is different then T2DM. You are a long term patient and many with T1DM who I know have a lot of problems.
I am managing my problems with the T2DM on this way, because I know it is right to do that on this way. The organism must have a homeostasis between the carbs and the fat. To eat only proteins and fat it is an artificial simulation of starvation. If this has been normal, then the nature evolution has for a long time ago solved this problem.

http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-are-micronutrients-definition-types-foods-importance.html

You really think bread and jam are essential for your health? Interesting.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You really think bread and jam are essential for your health? Interesting.

I would be more concerned about the Victorian plumbing in the OP's house...?!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
To Lonellysdogs

http://study.com/academy/lesson/what-are-micronutrients-definition-types-foods-i]]mportance.html
I wonder how your textbook covers the situation of the inuits (and similar {almost} mono nutrient societies)who live perfectly healthy lives just eating whale fat and seal blubber for most of the year, and who have no access to the pancakes and jam that you find so healthy (which I would not). Yes ketosis is a starvation mode for the body, but we are equipped to survive on it. We apparently evolved from a non carb diet in the first place, and it is only in the last millenium that agriculture provided mankind with an alternate source of nutrients. Most people following an LC diet will not be deficient in micronutrients and there have been many discussions on this forum about possible supplementation if required. As you are on Metformin, are you supplementing with B12 and D3? You should, you know. Your statins will be depleting you of Co-Q10 enzyme too, Maybe your diet is lacking folate or iron? or calcium (with D3 and K2) Are you so sure your textbooks are telling you the complete truth? Or the most up to date?

You are obviously well read, but I wonder if you really understand your own condition? You do not seem to understand mine or Nosher's or Donellysdogs. It is clear that you have endogenic insulin, and I could suggest that if you tried low carb diet yourself then you could possibly stop the insulin completely, but I won't suggest it since it will fall on deaf ears. Similarly what you are pontificating is also falling on increasingly deaf ears.

Your analogy of the water pipe is cute, but it is the way we were designed to operate. The latest research points to the damage being due to oxidised sLDL particles i,e, cholesterol, not FFA's in the cells. This research also shows that the damage to the LDL is worse when there is a high fat, high carb diet aka Eatwell#2 and ADA diet. The Low Fat diet is also showing higher mortality than the LCHF diet,

The other thing that you are choosing to ignore is that one of the purposes of ketogenic diet is to force our body to burn adipose fat , and by doing so to reduce the effects of NAFLD (fatty liver) which we T2;s tend to be prone to. For same reason we reduce fructose from our diets to also reduce NAFLD and insulin resistance, You are obviously still consuming large proportion of fructose yourself, so are you aware of the danger your diet is placing you in?

By a small simple change in my own diet, I can choose to switch in or out of ketosis, as I can choose what level of fat intake I use. I am in control of it, so I am not worried, I am not starving. I doubt if anyone reading this thread is starving, but some will be craving carbs which is a different matter.

Reactions: 3 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Inuits were by no means mono nutrient, in fact probably not even ketegenic.

Traditional Inuit diets derive approximately 50% of their calories from fat, 30-35% from protein and 15-20% from carbohydrates.

So over 100g of carbs a day on average.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit_diet

We always ate carbs, although we did find ways to increase some grain crops, rather than rely on foraging, but this was matched by a non migratory increasing village population, and animal farming, which led to the demise of the hunter gatherer. But even when the hunter gatherer came back to the cave empty, no one starved, berries grain, roots, all were collected in season, and kept for the occasion.
We never evolved without carbs.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
All my rusty pipes have taken their toll and I'm having my plumbing replaced by plastic!
Hopefully before my state of ketosis become unmanageable and untenable due to my very low carb diet!

(My pipes are working as good as they ever have, but don't tell Luna!)

Status
Not open for further replies.