What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Viv19

Why is it dangerous?

As I understand it Charlie, your kidneys need water to be able to function properly, to flush out waste from your body. Not drinking anything causes wear and tear on tissues.
I do understand that you drank lots at the end of your fast, but I don’t believe it was good for your body to not drink during your fast.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm finding, as you have, that time of day matters when choosing what (and how much of it!) to eat. It sounds like for you the butter and chicken sort of cancelled out the oats?
Welcome to this thread!

I am sure I already replied to this last night/before, but I wanted to also say that if i do those oatcakes for two days running then my blood glucose levels go up the following day all through the day.
So, by experimenting I found I can do those oatcakes as part of my last meal (or any time of day for that matter) only EVERY OTHER DAY.
In consequence I don’t use those oatcakes more than twice a week. But it is lovely to have them to crunch through (I like my crunch!), and for a quick meal :)

>^..^<

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is it dangerous?

To be clear, I'm not a faster, except for sometimes a long time between meals or a long fast overnight, however, my interpretation of any dry fast would be that it has to be sone with a risk management head on - always.

Our fluids and electrolyte balances are important to us, and the impacts of them going wrong aren't just a bit of thirst. It can lead to fatigue, disorientation, irregular heart rythms, and so on. I have one, not as a result of fasting I will add, ended up with an electrolyte imbalance and it was one of the most frightening experiences of my life.

If during fast the individual becomes dehydrated, or suffers any of the symptoms of dehydration of electrolyte imbalance they should break their fast immediately and have a drink of water.

If you ask Dr Google to return the various papers on Diabates + Ramadan + fasting, you will find plenty of decent resources, from many sources.

Most Diabetes Centre have Ramadan preparation programmes those diagnosed can attend or read.

I'm not suggesting you dry fast or not, but I am suggesting you be safe, not sorry.

Last edited:

Arfie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bircher Meusli, made with 2 small grated apples, 80g of walnut/cashew/almond smashed up, 4 bug spoons of greek yoghurt, 80g of oats and milk to fill up the tub. This gives me enough for 4 days (3 if hungry :) )

Ramadan has started yesterday and I live in the middle east so most people around me are dry fasting from sunrise to sunset, BUT we have shorter working hours. I'm having coffee and water in the canteen, i can't dry fast due to the heat/aircon I dehydrate rapidly and then get headaches, dizziness and anger issues :)

Lots of really good dates around too as they are traditional in Ramadan, but I'm too scared :nailbiting: of the sugar to eat one

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
@charlie000 I recently did a five day water (and black decaff coffee) fast. I think it was the second day that although I had decaff when I got up, I was busy and didn't drink anything else until the evening. I ended up with a cracking headache (something I don't normally suffer with) and ache in my kidney area.

I think fasting has its benefits but it really isn't a good idea to go without fluids.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
So today's epicurean gourmet (not) menu is:

Breakfast: Egg mayo on crispbreads
Lunch: either mashed avocado (with lime juice and Tabasco) OR houmous wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves - depends on whether the avocado has gone brown as so many have done recently
Dinner: Some more of yesterday's goonergal slow cooked brisket maybe with some kimchi
Dessert: baked rhubarb with Turkish yoghurt
Drinks: BDC, SSW

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve no idea where my Bg is right now, but what a delicious day I’ve had. Visiting old friends in Bratislava.
Simple breakfast, LC roll with cheese. Lunch omelette in a restaurant in Austria, tea.
Dinner. Wow. Asparagus with leeks, hazelnut oil, olive oil, lemon juice, strawberries, crushed hazelnuts.
Then fillet steak, Spring onions, mushrooms, mangetout. A creme fraiche whole grain mustard sauce. New potatoes, which of course I didn’t eat.
Raspberries + blueberries and cream.
Gorgeous cheese plus (for me) LC bread.,
Bliss. My bg was very low this afternoon. I might not measure it again tonight. :))))

What a lovely sounding day, and fabulous menu. Did you take your own lc bread or is it widely available in Austria?

Reactions: zauberflote

Viv19

What a lovely sounding day, and fabulous menu. Did you take your own lc bread or is it widely available in Austria?

It was a good day DJC3 :)). In the morning we went to Carnuntum, which was a Roman legionary fortress that became a large city of 50,000. Absolutely fascinating. They have excavated the city since the 1930s and have reconstructed some buildings exactly as and where they were originally. The baths were amazing, and the system of heating the floors. Incredible.
Our friend had shopped for food for me (both low carb and lactose free), which was lovely. She found the LC bread at Aldi in Austria, called Hofer there.
My bg last night was 6.4 - which is still quite ‘low’ for me at the moment, so I was pleased, especially after that feast.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. A hungry day today.

Lunch was 2 fried eggs, 3 rashers bacon and a small portion of grated cheese.

Dinner was chicken wings marinated for 24 hours in butter and lime zest/juice then baked and drizzled with Hotel Chocolat cocoa and chilli finishing oil with a ‘cheese course’ of 28g Emmental with butter on top.

Consumed about 200ml cream during the day.

Hopefully appetite will return to normal tomorrow.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
Busy day - lots to sort out - but started well with me returning to swimming first thing which I love and especially the treat of a jacuzzi after the 50 lengths.
Breakfast after swimming bacon and egg
Lunch tin of mackerel in olive oil, a few nuts and four squares of 100% choc
Dinner salmon in lemon butter, cauliflower cheese and asparagus, glass of white wine with soda water followed by small scoop of oppo choc ice cream and double cream.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couldn't hold out for OMAD today only made it to 4.00. Was quite sleepy by then so had 50 gms h/m LC chocolate granola and 150 gms Fage 5% plus 2 babybels. Just had avocado and mackerel salad with 3 tsps pine nuts, chia seed topping and electolyte drink. Mainly functional but pine nuts stole the show.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold roast chicken with pistachios and cauliflower and broccoli salad followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: coffee chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: meatzza (toppings were sour cream, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms and mozzarella) with a leafy salad followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola and a small piece of Lindt dark choc Easter egg.

A90FE557-3B4A-4BF1-97C5-74BFE1D139F5.jpeg

Bildad

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox is the topping on a burger? It looks very tasty.
My food today was functional rather than pretty.
B - Coffee with cream
L - yesterday's leftover Foo yung ( not as nice cold as hot)
D - sausage, roast veg and cauli cheese
I aim for edible hopefully the aesthetics will follow

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Rachox is the topping on a burger? It looks very tasty.

Yes! I grill one side, turn it over grill a little more, add the toppings and put back under the grill til the toppings are cooked. And yes they are very tasty and very simple to make :hungry:

Reactions: maglil55

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
@zauberflote I fear I have missed some posts where you explained what a Dunnie is. I can’t get past the Australian ‘Dunny’!

A canal walk is waiting when you get here.....

"Crispie Dunnie" is my so-called inventive name for @dunelm 's flax crackers. I felt they deserved a name
I won't even ask about Australian!!! Afraid of answer.

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
okra. Cigarette smoke, old, new, and permeating a room, wafting from a balcony, etc etc. That I have so many chronic diseases. That I take so very many meds. Being cold. Anything too loud, but specifically non-classical music and the television.
I am sure I already replied to this last night/before, but I wanted to also say that if i do those oatcakes for two days running then my blood glucose levels go up the following day all through the day.
So, by experimenting I found I can do those oatcakes as part of my last meal (or any time of day for that matter) only EVERY OTHER DAY.
In consequence I don’t use those oatcakes more than twice a week. But it is lovely to have them to crunch through (I like my crunch!), and for a quick meal :)

>^..^<

Yes! That's the level of detail I am at, but less advanced than you. Chocolate more than about three days running will finally show up and take a week to go away. I haven't tried oats at all yet. Very slow learner here...

zauberflote

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bfast 1/2 avocado, pecans, Crispie Dunnie, DWGoatM, 1.2 sq 90% choc
Lunch liquid
Supper. Hm. Some leftover spinach from last night, a piece of my brown flax bread toasted, and.... cheese? Really should have bought more Cremont, I was just!! in the store.
Then after Barre, maybe some pecans for pills?
My poor poor son just got badly rear-ended for the 4th time in about 18-24 months. His new-to-him but very old high-mileage shiny red full-cab pickup for his business appears totaled, he says. He has remained calm-- I guess it's happened so much that he doesn't bother with the panic attack any more. He is a magnet for horrific not-at-fault rear-enders. Why?????? I am grateful for many things surrounding this but won't even name them, as one came close this winter.
Sitting in car, the mosquitoes have discovered me. Sigh.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal I’m glad you asked about @zauberflote ‘s Crispy Dunnie - my mind couldn’t get past the Aussie dunny either.
I haven’t seen the HC cocoa and chilli finishing oil - any good?
@Viv19 I hope you are packing a suitcase full of that Austrian ‘Aldi’ lc bread to bring back?

Today has been tidying up loose ends and clearing the fridge of anything that’s likely to go off in the next week as Mr C will be fending for himself again ( and won’t eat wierd stuff like kimchi or avocado) I’m driving back up to London tomorrow in readiness for the PHC conference and meeting up with friends. Sprained ankle feeling much better so hoping I’ll be fit as a flea by the weekend.
B: CWC
L: Avocado, Kimchi, ham. Gk yoghurt with a few raspberries.
D: Steak - boy what a steak! Asking Mr C to pop into the butchers and pick up a couple of steaks for tea is like letting a child loose in a sweetshop. They were massive and needed a large frying pan apiece to cook them - wonderful, though I couldn’t quite finish mine. Topped with fried egg and with a mushroom stuffed with blue cheese, cooked in airfryer as an experiment - very successful. 2 glasses of a lovely Malbec with the meal.