What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's Saturday and I always feel pretty bad on Saturdays - it's the morning after I go to help out with a children's club/class intended to teach them to be respectful of differences between beliefs, ethnic origins or any other thing which might lead to bigotry and prejudice. High aims, but some of the kids are challenging.

Anyway, after the cauli rice yesterday evening my stomach is a mess! I've taken Loperamide to try to get it under control and some co-codamol to try to get my legs working. Only partially successful so far, so lots of tea and eventually a couple of eggs scrambled and the remaining smoked mackerel. That will probably do me for the day. Reminder to me - don't get too hungry later on and fall for the oatcake trap again.
Hug for the poorly stomach and needing medication but huge respect for the work with the youngsters,

Reactions: maglil55 and Viv19

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
06-07-19
Breakfast, 6.30ish: my own nut granola, with splash of milk. tea.
2nd breakfast: 9am: am i turning into a hobbit? Tea + 2 fried eggs.
Plan for the day, go out, so MrSlim is not fretting about the building work he is not doing. Going to look at bathroom cabinets etc, so he will feel as if some progress is being made. Into the bedroom to get jacket - discovered ant infestation. In a way pleased, as they were obviously preparing to fly, would have had bedroom, possibly house full of flying ants. Much swatting, stamping, moving of small items of furniture, hauling up floor coverings and liberal application of ant powder we are off.
Found some paint in the sale, but no cabinets.
Lunch 12ish: restaurant meal, no idea of calories etc. Apple and Smoked Salmon salad, generous portion, perhaps 1.5 cups.
Duck and orange with vegetables afterwards. Nicely cooked veg, lot of duck, hint of orange. Delicious. Glass of house white, water and bread basket. Did have a tiny piece to mop up the sauce. All for 12.5 euro each. Good value meal. Extremely filling and most of the carbs from the apple in the salad.
Edited (accidentally posted before finished)
Tried unsuccessfully to find a mole trap. MrSlim is uncomfortable so home again.
Hot. So inside on computer, something on my leg, ant. They have emerged in the bedroom, more stamping, swatting and swearing this time as there are flying ones and some get in my hair. GRrrrr It's longer than in pic now
Out to neighbours for drinks and nibbles, wine, from nearish vineyards. Nibbles all on little pieces of bread, Huh? We know he is type 2. Lot of wine little food, had cheese and bread when we got home, still hungry so later two bowls nut granola and cup of tea
Edited for typo

Last edited:

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hug for the poorly stomach and needing medication but huge respect for the work with the youngsters,

Stomach improving now, but I'll stay off the food meantime. Drinking lots of tea. Every Saturday I tell myself I've done enough, but I always go back on Friday evenings. This week we had arranged to take them to the local climbing wall where they had to learn to trust the instructors (one Mexican girl and one Syrian man) and the ropes. No 1 son has done part of the utility room so this afternoon we were putting the fridge and the freezer back in (after giving them a good clean, of course) but now he says he wants to take out the back (external) wall plasterboard and re-insulate it. Not a very big job, it's only about 7ft by about 8ft with a window and a door in it, but he might change the wiring to put in a new external socket as well. Just now, he can't keep going, he's exhausted. I'm exhausted just thinking about it.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A funny for the self inflicted cake bites.

The spreadable chorizo comes in a 200g tub. So like a pate.
Quite mild and the two year old twins, Chaos and Mayhem, gobbled it up on sticks of celery.
It could be improved by mixing some chilli oil into it to make a dip or even to spice up cauli rice. Might even be good to daub over cauli steaks and certainly dropped into stews and soups.
I just wonder if I could just mix some soft cooking chorizo with chilli oil in a blender but at £2 for a 200g tub then probably not worth the trouble.

@dunelm - Apologies if I missed it, but where did you by the chorizo spread?

Where I would like to create a copy of something, I'll often buy the real thing once, so that I have a clue what I'l aiming for. Of course, provided whatever is created suits the two folks living in the hacienda that would be good enough.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
An awful lot of tea has been drunk today much of it between first thing and NE1 at about 1.30. That was double mix flaxseed crackers with butter, red fox cheese and cucumber - I liked that. Experimented with flaxseed mix as a roll but forgot to take out of oven in time. Still ate one with butter and more cheese mid afternoon for NE2. NE3 was egg and avocado salad which I liked. 5 hour eating window but if I'm honest I don't see any tips or tricks changing much. Maintaining the status quo whilst staying well looks like a big enough challenge for some time to come.

Last edited:

Viv19

Tea
Breakfast scrambled eggs. LC toasted roll, small amount of blue cheese, CWC
Lunch
Yoghurt and berries. Almonds and walnuts. Gouda.
Lot of tea.
Evening. Coleslaw, ratatouille, 2 small chicken skewers. I started drinking a glass of red, but somehow it didn’t taste good, so I had more tea instead.

Last edited:

Viv19

Thank you for your concern and very thoughtful reply.

Basically I haven't got a clue why my joints are hurting so much at the moment. Maybe it's just the 'inevitable wear and tear' as the doctor described it - I did have an extremely active life before the arthritis kicked in so the doctor is probably right. I do take a Vit D3 supplement on the advice of a doctor (when I was working constant nights) and just never stopped taking it. No, I don't take Vit K.

I don't normally burn. Up until I started the Vit D3 I would go red then slowly turn brown, since taking the D3 I just go brown. I actually was told to sunbathe by a Dermatologist I saw for my psoriasis. The strange thing was the sunburn I had last week didn't hurt and it took almost a week for the peeling to start. Same with Mr C.

As for diet - nothing has really changed - I'm just keeping carbs low as possible and not replacing them with anything. Because of the arthritis I'm very sedentary so cutting back further on carbs isn't making me lose weight, just keeping me steady. I'm really insulin resistant and I'm still struggling to get my BGs to a level I'm happy with. I really don't want to go back in the insulin jabs so I don't have a problem with virtually cutting carbs out.

I was wondering whether you have any food intolerances that might trigger your arthritis. My cousin has extreme arthritis (she’s 14 years younger than me) to the extent that she was unable to walk about 9 years ago when she was in her mid 40s. She was prescribed very strong meds, and eventually decided not to take them any longer because of the side effects but to find an alternative. She’s a yoga teacher and a nutritionist, and from time to time when she has more pain puts herself on a very strict diet to eliminate foods that trigger her auto-immune condition.
I had a blood test about ten years ago to identify foods that were causing me digestive problems. Most of the lesser ones I don’t take any notice of, but the main offenders, real vanilla, pineapple and lactose in dairy upset me every time. So I think if the test is done with a reputable laboratory then you could have a good chance of tracking down trigger foods that may be in your diet. For example tomatoes or strawberries! Not saying it is them, but it could be something that simple.
No 2 daughter had the test and finally discovered the reason for the ‘acne’ she had fighting for about ten years (she didn’t have it as a teenager) and the diarrhea that she often had. The former was down to a dairy intolerance- once we knew we could watch the immediate reaction, and the latter to the dairy and to bananas. She was so run down before, but is very healthy now. Just a suggestion Chook.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - a very wet day here today , not predicted so got wet on walk in am and showers around all day - oh well at least no watering this evening!
Breakfast bacon and egg and one chipolata
Lunch small portion of sardines in olive oil with celery sticks
Dinner home made chicken curry served with cauliflower rice stir fried in ghee and gin and soda water. pudding sf jelly with a few berries and yoghurt.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Couple of beers, savoury snacks.
Dinner: Reheated left over odds'n'sods in the fridge.
Breakfast: Usual cheese and mushroom omelette, bacon, tomato, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee, low carb beer, water.

Condiments: Salt, black pepper and chilli flakes and a couple of cloves in the pepper grinder. Did I mention salt. :D

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you to every one for showing concern for hubby after he got knocked off his bike on Thursday, his road rash is healing well, he’s just felt a little tired today, but not bad enough to stop him mowing the lawn! :)

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: chicken, cauliflower and broccoli salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon at Nero’s: coconut cappuccino and a peanut phd bar.
Dinner from Chinese takeaway: crispy duck, two small pancakes, a smudge of sauce, spring onions and cucumber followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Edit for typo.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Playing catch up again - tried to read through the backlog of posts; apologies if I missed anything major.

@gennepher and @PenguinMum happy birthday!

@Chook sorry about your joint pain

@Rachox glad hubby is on the mend

@shelley262 @Chook and @maglil55 thanks for the holiday good wishes. Having a ball and averaging close to 30k steps (and almost as many photos) a day. Winner so far is this cute one of a raccoon at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

Food consumption is generally a bit too much and various combinations of rotisserie chicken, Five Guys bunless burgers, high % chocolate gelato (it is so delicious), nuts, baked cheese and giant rollitos.

F031C298-C69D-418D-B140-9F0C214C44B7.jpeg

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@dunelm - Apologies if I missed it, but where did you by the chorizo spread?

Where I would like to create a copy of something, I'll often buy the real thing once, so that I have a clue what I'l aiming for. Of course, provided whatever is created suits the two folks living in the hacienda that would be good enough.
Bought in Morrisons

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Late again.
Breakfast - woke at 0530 by the minions so by 0800 feeling peckish - two egg mayonnaise on four little gem leaves.

Lunch - slices of chicken with a bit of salad.

Dinner - out last night at a birthday celebration - hog roast - so, roast pork, crackin, bit of coleslaw and some salad.
Wine - no idea what it was - a glass of Jamesons.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I was wondering whether you have any food intolerances that might trigger your arthritis. My cousin has extreme arthritis (she’s 14 years younger than me) to the extent that she was unable to walk about 9 years ago when she was in her mid 40s. She was prescribed very strong meds, and eventually decided not to take them any longer because of the side effects but to find an alternative. She’s a yoga teacher and a nutritionist, and from time to time when she has more pain puts herself on a very strict diet to eliminate foods that trigger her auto-immune condition.
I had a blood test about ten years ago to identify foods that were causing me digestive problems. Most of the lesser ones I don’t take any notice of, but the main offenders, real vanilla, pineapple and lactose in dairy upset me every time. So I think if the test is done with a reputable laboratory then you could have a good chance of tracking down trigger foods that may be in your diet. For example tomatoes or strawberries! Not saying it is them, but it could be something that simple.
No 2 daughter had the test and finally discovered the reason for the ‘acne’ she had fighting for about ten years (she didn’t have it as a teenager) and the diarrhea that she often had. The former was down to a dairy intolerance- once we knew we could watch the immediate reaction, and the latter to the dairy and to bananas. She was so run down before, but is very healthy now. Just a suggestion Chook.

I shall definitely look in to that. The only food intolerance I have, apart from carbs, is mushrooms and that's only a mild intolerance - it pushes up my BGs. I'd have never known about it if it wasn't for testing so often.

Today's food....

Breakfast: usual Sunday brunch - bacon, eggs, couple of mushrooms, chipolata and some baked beans (this particular combination always results in the same or lower BGs two hours after eating)

Lunch: 10 cal jelly

Dinner: slow cooked brisket, red wine, swede and celeriac stew

Drinks: black decaff coffee and still spring water (lots)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
BS high this morning for some reason - very high last night - no idea why. So ...
Breakfast yoghurt and defrosted raspberries, tea, pills.
Next meal will be lentils and butternut squash - some time later on. Other than tea, that will be all today. Still trying to get my stomach under control from day before yesterday so co-codamol added to the usual pills. Plenty of tea and water today to keep fluid levels up.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eaten today

6am Cashew nuts and bits dark chocolate
Black coffee

9am eggs and cheese and corned beef, sort of scrambled like corned beef hash
Then on the mushrooms I had quite a bit of pork and liver pate (never tasted it before, but I liked it)
cwc

11am frozen fresh (from Thursday) strawberries and cream. But I am using less cream (which I love) because I want to try and loose weight as well. And my weight wasn’t moving.

The longer the fast, the more likely I am to start losing weight again.

So this is what I am trying to aim for at the moment.

>^..^<

Oh and the rest of the day is herbal teas and water and I feel like a few cups of ordinary tea today. The hot weather I think.