What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs you know how I detest cream and love tea so ugghh!
@ziggy_w thank you it wasnt the best but good now.
@shelley262 it really is soup time from now on and nothing like h/m but I do sometimes half carton CG creamy mushroom which isnt too bad and I add more water to get big mugfull. I am going to look seriously at Keto recipes.

Reactions: maglil55

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
64F4CDFC-02F5-48A3-91FA-72EBB4BB9DF6.jpeg Hi all
Breakfast one each of chipolata sausage, bacon and egg with one slice of livlife toast
Lunchtimeish for first time tried making chaffles - amazing would recommend see recipe I used - I used standard one and doubled up as two of us and made four in total.
https://www.wholesomeyum.com/keto-chaffles-recipe/
Had one - each were 2.5g carb - with sugar free syrup wonderful. OH had one as well and enjoyed it and I also put two in fridge, will reheat for breakfast tomorrow with bacon and eggs , will make a change from lowcarb toast
Dinner chicken frittata and salads - using left over chicken and salads, glass of dry white wine followed by lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt and cream. More chicken still left over so planning curry for dinner tomorrow. I’m hoping to get some work caught up with tomorrow so will be good to eat more leftovers........

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs you know how I detest cream and love tea so ugghh!
@ziggy_w thank you it wasnt the best but good now.
@shelley262 it really is soup time from now on and nothing like h/m but I do sometimes half carton CG creamy mushroom which isnt too bad and I add more water to get big mugfull. I am going to look seriously at Keto recipes.
Problem with my soup was it was made by a friend who does high carb low fat eating! I’m sure you could make brilliant low carb soups did fair few last winter and will again. I suspect there was potatoes in this one to thicken and skimmed milk as she doesn’t approve of cream and full fat!

Reactions: DJC3

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what was in it besides mushrooms, which I believe are pretty low carb? I am inspired by the thought of it to plan a soup with mushrooms, chicken stock and Slim rice.
I’d guess from taste potatoes to thicken, skimmed milk and onions plus chicken stock cubes. Friend is high carb low fat! She served with beer bread! I’m sure mushroom soup could easily be done low carb

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: fry up of egg, bacon, mushrooms and two orange rapture tomatoes followed by Greek yoghurt, blueberries and macadamia and coconut keto granola.
Mid afternoon: Coconut chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner, Chinese takeaway, 1/4 crispy duck, spring onions, cucumber, 2 small pancakes with a smudge of sauce followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat lots of chicken legs. I remove the skin and fat, chop, then fry till crisp to make home-made scratchings. Nicest eaten when till warm, salted in my case with Lo Salt to boost my potassium intake. I look forward to reading about more of your experiments. I'm surprised you didn't enjoy coffee with double cream - I love it. In my "healthy eating low fat" days I didn't allow myself cream, so it is one of the perks of VLC eating.
Goose skin is the best IMHO - Lidl frozen ones soon be in. Plan to have one for St Martin's Advent (Nov 11th) was excellent last year.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Alexandra100 I too love coffee with cream (CWC) and it’s been one of the most enjoyable things about converting to lchf WOE.
Eggs 3 ways today:
B- Scrambled eggs with 1/2 avocado and smoked salmon to try and bring high fbg down. 2 hrs later got a 7.2 so that didn’t work. Think liver has finally dealt with the wine from Wed and is chucking out any excess glucose now.
L: 2 tuna muffin melts
D: Caprese omelette 2 glasses red.

We have friends visiting tomorrow for lunch so I’ve made a chocolate olive oil cake and some of @shelley262 ‘s lc seedy crackers to go with cheese.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Still hungry today and BG still high, despite extra insulin. Had breakfast about 9 am - 2 RyVita with a slice of cheese between them. Tea, of course.
Just had my evening meal - courgette pancakes. Haven't made them before but they were allright. 3 eggs, half a small red onion, 2 courgettes (grated) fried in olive oil. Fills a gap anyway. BG still high, but I'll see what it is before bed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
View attachment 36301 Hi all
Breakfast one each of chipolata sausage, bacon and egg with one slice of livlife toast
Lunchtimeish for first time tried making chaffles - amazing would recommend see recipe I used - I used standard one and doubled up as two of us and made four in total.
Had one - each were 2.5g carb - with sugar free syrup wonderful. OH had one as well and enjoyed it and I also put two in fridge, will reheat for breakfast tomorrow with bacon and eggs , will make a change from lowcarb toast
Dinner chicken frittata and salads - using left over chicken and salads, glass of dry white wine followed by lemon and lime mousse with yoghurt and cream. More chicken still left over so planning curry for dinner tomorrow. I’m hoping to get some work caught up with tomorrow so will be good to eat more leftovers........

Oh no! I’ve just looked at your link. I’ve been ignoring any mention of Chaffles for ages but they look wonderful. I just don’t have room for any more gadgets in my tiny kitchen. I hope I can resist.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I notice this happens to me too. When I feel unusually hungry I check my bg and it is usually up, whereas when it is nicely low I tend to feel shaky and slightly sick, so not keen to eat. It seems the wrong way round. I wonder if other people experience this?
It's odd. I do notice that even if I have a tiny amount of extra carbs (anything more than is found in low carb veg) eg sausages, tomatoes, RyVita, I feel extra hungry - presumably the small amount of carb waking the desire for more. And at these times my BG is high - not necessarily because I have already eaten more carb than I ought but adding more doesn't help. I started off today with RyVita because I was very hungry this morning (BG already high from last night) but I managed to hold out for the rest of the day until a short time ago - BG still high and that's why I dec ided to have courgette pancakes. Shouldn't be anything in that the increase BG and probably carbs pretty low for the whole day. Calories also pretty low so I'm hoping that will get me back onto a fairly even keel for tomorrow.

If I start to shake and my eyes start to see everything darkly, then I know I'm in trouble and have to take action right away.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Liquid dining all day
Coffee with brandy and cream
Fizz and caerphilly
Crab and spinach with Chianti
G&T with porky scratchings
I will be good tomorrow
Don't go changing, rearranging, we love ya just the way you are. Good to see you here.

D

Deleted member 308541

Lunch yesterday: Another liquid lunch, curried Mongolian whatever masquerading as meat, several pots of the XXXX Gold goodness.
Dinner: Savoury resoles,veggies, onion gravy,
Breakfast: Usual c&m omelette, bacon, tomatoes, reheated spudlite.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugary stuff, low carb beer, water.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
View attachment 36301 Hi all

I will have to try this recipe for chaffles. my previous 2 attempts making them didn't really work out so haven't made them since Plus found they were quite messy as well. So will give this recipe a go...

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. Very behind and haven’t caught up with all your news. Away at my Dad’s for the weekend and managed a very successful food day yesterday.

Lunch was at a cafe near the Black Country Living Museum in a building owned by the Dudley Canal Trust. 2 eggs and 2 rashers bacon followed up by a large tub of clotted cream left behind by previous occupants of the table :) I mean, who has afternoon tea and leaves the cream?!

Dinner prepped by me, roast lamb leg with cauliflower cheese (Dad and partner not yet ready for carnivore :D) and a lazy mousse made with cream and a teaspoon of cocoa powder.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I will have to try this recipe for chaffles. my previous 2 attempts making them didn't really work out so haven't made them since Plus found they were quite messy as well. So will give this recipe a go...
@shelley262 @annabell1
yes.
My first chaffles were just egg and cheese and were not as successful as the current ones which have a bit of almond flour in them. The flour gives a more waffle like texture. Less floppy-melted-cheese and more cooked-batter. The almond flour also seems to prevent the cheese fat from separating out too much. Psyllium will absorb the fat too, with that recipe :)

another key thing has been the egg to cheese ratio.

we buy mixed size eggs in a tray of a dozen, and I have learned to use the smallest available egg, then tweak the cheese amount so that the mix isn’t too runny.

so far, I have preferred the savoury chaffles, esp with strong cheddar and added bacon or sausage or tuna or Mattersons. :D