What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Shedload of food again today.

Started with a quality control visit to Hotel Chocolat in Birmingham. 85% hot chocolate made with whole milk and extra cocoa whip on the side.

Lunch was an assortment of leftovers/cold meat - lamb, corned beef, tongue and a small bit of smoked salmon followed by clotted cream and almond butter.

Dinner was roasted chicken leg with bacon, carni stuffing and sprouts with fried pieces of bacon. Even the carbivores didn’t notice the absence of potatoes from the entire day’s menu due to the large spread of delicious low carb options. Dessert was 2 squares Godiva 90% chocolate melted with whipped cream for me and mince pies with whipped cream for the others.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah :D:D:D
But I put it in the freezer.

magnificence like that deserves a suitably hallowed occasion, however tempting it would be to eat like that every day.

plus, we were given a Miller & Carter voucher for Xmas. So that will probably be the next Steak Event.
V curious to see if they produce anything close to the awesomeness of our local butcher 300 yards from our front door.

I love Miller and Carter, but your ‘home grown’ steak sounded awesome.

D

Deleted member 308541

Breakfast yesterday: Steak and eggs, mushrooms, tomato.
Lunch: Finished off all of the prawns with salad.
Dinner: Pork chops and veggies cooked on the barbeque, gravy.

Drinks: Black coffee no sugars, whisky, beer, water.

We watched "The Irishman" last night and had a couple of sipping whisky's and macadamias to further the enjoyment.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin' All

B: a trip out to buy new cordless mouse - long story - and then a starbucks hot choc, purely and simply in order to push my bg above 7.5 so that I could experience the miaomiao (xmas present from Mr B) setting off its little alarm. :angelic:;):angelic:

L: baked some Dr Almond mild bread, cooked a 'pudding' of sausage meat wrapped in streaky bacon, and we had ham, turkey, sausage meat, cranberry and mayo sarnies. very, very, nice.

D: have just walked the dogs in the rain, fed them, and now doubt if we humans will need anything to eat til tomorrow.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee.
Lunch: cold meats, Babybel cheeses spread with pâté (who needs crackers!), salad, pigs in blankets and pork scratchings followed by Oppo vanilla cheesecake with cream and LC chocolate granola.
Mid afternoon: coconut bite from Prét with a black coffee.
Dinner: lamb roasted with garlic and rosemary, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by low carb Xmas pudding and cream.

F5E37A8C-316B-4050-B6F6-46C9947E7D1C.jpeg

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another day of idleness and joy.
B: cheese - I was up before the rest of the household and didn’t want to wake anyone by clattering around in a different kitchen so a quick dog walk and a bite of cheese sufficed.
L: cold meat and salad
D: leftover DD keto chicken pie that I posted about a couple of days ago. It’s still a winner. DGF double choc brownie and cream.
Wine.
Have just realised that my presents all have a theme - chocolate or gin. Certainly beats Soap on a Rope

@ianpspurs I was saddened to read your post but I know you’ve been disillusioned by this woe for a while. I hope you can find something that works for you and that you can enjoy. In the meantime lurk away. It’ll be nice to know you haven’t gone far.
@ziggy_w I hope you had a lovely Christmas, what a nice surprise when you popped up again. Happy New Year to you.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all. Your Christmas meals sound wonderful. Ours was a triumph, especially the rib of beef. Despite that, I have become utterly disillusioned and demotivated by the LC woe and the impact on/results for me. Best I leave this thread for now and just lurk until I can become positive.. Happy New Year - hopefully back soon as a more positive little boy.
@ianpspurs I’m sorry to hear that you are struggling with eating low carb - would you be able to increase your carbs a little to give you more scope re the foods that you want to eat? I have managed to maintain my hba1c at non diabetic levels for approx 7 years on an average of 100 to 130g carbs per day.

mouseee

First Christmas since dx. I have survived. I have also eaten far too many carbs. Its slipped over the past couple of weeks and I have consumed more than one mince pie and more than one roast potatoe.

Back on it tomorrow. I am finding will power harder but husband has decided to diet so for at least a week.... not that I'm suggesting he'll give up.... there won't be bad stuff around.

Have a headache now and bs 8.1. I'm remembering why LC is best for me!

Reactions: maglil55 and DJC3
D

Deleted member 308541

Best I leave this thread for now and just lurk until I can become positive.
@ianpspurs, you have read most if not all of my posts in this thread, surely you can eat most if not all of what I consider to be low carb high fat that I have posted. The only thing I do not go near is rice and pastry stuff, I do eat small portions of reheated cooked pasta.

My weight has been good at 95 Kgs approx, and you have seen how I got my hba1c down to the mid 30's mmol/mol. my fasting levels are under six.

I do not use flash cooking methods or appliances, just basic cooking skills with normal pots and pans.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ianpspurs, you have read most if not all of my posts in this thread, surely you can eat most if not all of what I consider to be low carb high fat that I have posted. The only thing I do not go near is rice and pastry stuff, I do eat small portions of reheated cooked pasta.

My weight has been good at 95 Kgs approx, and you have seen how I got my hba1c down to the mid 30's mmol/mol. my fasting levels are under six.

I do not use flash cooking methods or appliances, just basic cooking skills with normal pots and pans.
Last post for a while. Thanks for this. Yes, I can eat most or all of what you eat. I can also fast for multiple days without problems and go sub 10 gms carb happily. The 2 issues are that it hasn't "worked" for me for 18 months - my numbers are (comfortably?) non diabetic - but it is wrong in a way I can't pin down and at heart I really don't believe in it. Best I don't keep whinging about it here, work on it away from this thread and either stay away or return positive. Think that also answers you @Daphne917 .

Last edited:

Quinn1066

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Today 27/12/19
Breakfast: usual low carb porridge, 70g greek yoghurt
Lunch: 132g ham, 120g rocket, 29g full fat cheese
Dinner 2 XL eggs, 2 large eggs fried in 0.5 tsp olive oil. 118g broccoli, 104g cauliflower, 150g fresh green beans.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

Finally caught up with the posts of the last 2 weeks +, took me a whole three days. Will definitely try not to fall behind again.

Hugs for all dealing with the loss of loved ones (@annabell1, @Chook, @shelley262, hope I haven't forgotten anyone) -- must be hard especially around the holidays.
@ianpspurs -- Thanks for your really wonderful holiday wishes -- yes, Mr. ZW and I had some really wonderful, not too stressful Xmas, he then spent the remainder of the holidays playing snooker, while I caught up with this thread. Hope you, Julie, kids and grandkids really enjoyed the celebrations too. Definitely sounds like a great family.
@ianpspurs -- I will definitely miss you on this thread, won't be the same without you. It does break my heart to see how you struggle with this lc woe. Hope you find a way that works for you. Let's not be strangers, though.
@DJC3 -- Thanks for your kind words. It feels good to be back on this thread. There was just too much stress at work before the holidays. If I manage to get a headstart on preparing exams during the holidays, there might be less stress as we are approaching the end of the semester. Here's hoping anyway. By the way, your holiday food sounds absolutely delicious.
@maglil55 -- Thanks for the welcome back. Happy to be back too. You are really the most accomplished chef -- wished I could spent Xmas next year with you.
@Goonergal -- Definitely remember the hotel. Hope you are able to get some downtime to refuel for next year. How's your leg/foot? Are you feeling any benefits from resting it yet?

Last edited:

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday's food...

Blood sugars have been slightly higher than usual (not bad, though), so decided to be a bit more proactive about this, so went OMAD.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol.

Lunch: Nothing.

Dinner: Two filets of lamb. Zucchini and bell pepper in tomato cream sauce. Gratin of mushroom, spring onion and truffle. Cauli rice with onion, eggplant and chick peas. A very large handful of pecans caramelized with erythritol and cream. Generous amount of red wine.

Blood sugars still a bit higher this morning, but dropped after morning espresso. (Might take a few days of more discipline to really have an impact.)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ianpspurs - you've had rather a lot going on in your life and yet more to come with the house move. It's hardly surprising, therefore, that you are disillusioned and believe me I understand. Last year as you know was incredibly stressful for me and I didn't take as good care of myself probably as I should have. Even now I still get down in the dumps but I always recall another of my departed Granny's sayings - Change the things you can (that make you unhappy) and pack the things you can't. It's up there with "Dinae trust anyone with skinny lips". I guess what I'm saying is it could be a combination of a number of things that is getting you down so Change the things you can but don't be a stranger. You will be missed for your witty turn of phrase, family stories and your ongoing journey. Even Spurs might be improving! (Hibs beat Hearts yesterday which cheered us enormously). Have a break, be kind to yourself and come back refreshed.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yesterday was a day of leftovers - bed 4.3 FBG 5.6. After No 2's sugar highs Christmas Day I was convinced yesterday he is possessed by a demon! Thankfully I was not in his company for long. Just long enough for Mum & Dad to pick up bargains in the M&S foodhall. It must be the strain of being good at school combined with the excitement of Christmas. I understand why his brother hit him on the head with a back scratcher! DIL said he's been like this for days. The family gift was a Nintendo Switch but son now has an App on his phone which he can use to block No 2 for bad behaviour. He'll learn. At least I got a cuddle and kiss from No 1 who said Sorry my brother is being so vile.
B. TAG with ADOC and a weird combination of 2 slices of skinny bread, one with Italian meats the other with a salmon mousse.
L. Nothing - was running about in the car with the family including the Demon child!
D. Earlier, I had a cup of lentil soup and a bit fishy terrine. Later, turkey, freshly cooked stuffing & chipolatas, cranberry sauce, mini cob and 1/2 a roast potato (ate a quarter). LC creme brulee and a spoonful of the deconstructed black forest cake.
No alcohol yesterday but that may change today.
@Annb - you are resurrecting memories of my Grandparents & parents Hogmanay parties with giant pots of lentil soup, filled rolls, shortbread and black bun. House was always packed. I used to be very fond of black bun.
Swelling has finally gone down on left leg but it needs work to loosen the ankle. I'd planned on cleaning the bedroom carpets today but that's probably not a good idea.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today so far...another outrageous FBG after a very careful day yesterday. @DJC3 has got me thinking it might be the fizz. Regulars will know my drink of choice is a snifter or two of gin & sparkling water but for the past 3 days I have only drank Champagne or Cremant so need to test that theory later!
Planned another almost OMAD with the OMAD being turkey salad later. However we all went over to the little village where No. 2 son and GF buying a little cottage to look around and visit what will be his local at lunchtime. Planned a soup or starter but ended up having a steakburger bunless with tiny pot of coleslaw. Mr PM very excited by the range of ales available and frightened son with ideas of returning once they’re in and staying over. I am now very full so dont know if or what I may eat later.

Any ideas about making soup with excess sprouts? Still have one whole stalk to use up. Would cream of sprout soup work or just be plain wrong?

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Friday and Still at my mums place but christmas day and exhaustion for my mum although she cant do anything anymore due to her dimentia and mobility she gets very tired by having everyone over and by boxing night my mum had forgotten who I was. It took me a lot of strength to not get emotional I think mum was also upset she forgotten who I was but I tried to make light of it and made her laugh with some jokes... its amazing how this can trigger my anxiety and eating of sweets which it did and I ate some lollies for comfort... by bed time mum remembered who I was which is what happens.

Friday breakfast white bread toasted with butter and grilled cheese and a black coffee. After breakfast I took one of my sisters to a medical appointment then went to the Lebanese shop and brought some goat cheese and some nuts
Lunch I was given sweets again
Dinner more Christmas lunch left overs. I then packed my clothes and belongings said my goodbyes and drive home which takes over an hour. So got home around 9pm. my house was very warm so air conditioning was put on. Walked into my bathroom to being confronted with two large cockroaches I hate them errrrr so grabed the surface sprayed and killed those pests amd chocked myself up with the fumes but at least they are gone!!!!.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well today so far...another outrageous FBG after a very careful day yesterday. @DJC3 has got me thinking it might be the fizz. Regulars will know my drink of choice is a snifter or two of gin & sparkling water but for the past 3 days I have only drank Champagne or Cremant so need to test that theory later!
Planned another almost OMAD with the OMAD being turkey salad later. However we all went over to the little village where No. 2 son and GF buying a little cottage to look around and visit what will be his local at lunchtime. Planned a soup or starter but ended up having a steakburger bunless with tiny pot of coleslaw. Mr PM very excited by the range of ales available and frightened son with ideas of returning once they’re in and staying over. I am now very full so dont know if or what I may eat later.

Any ideas about making soup with excess sprouts? Still have one whole stalk to use up. Would cream of sprout soup work or just be plain wrong?

There are several cream of brussel sprouts soups out there, including this one from Sainsbury's: https://recipes.sainsburys.co.uk/recipes/soups/brussels-sprout-and-cheddar-soup

I might be inclined to make it with ham stock, then crumble some very crispy cooked bacon on top. M&S cooked strips are plenty crispy enough, if you're feeling in low effort mode.

I'm a sprout lover, and MrB is a sprout loather, so it won't be happening on our house, any time soon. :(