What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Annb - Isn't this your golden opportunity to sort out those outstanding bloods, the issues you were having with your digestion, bowels and so on?

Absolutely it is. The GP won't give me an appointment for a blood test in the absence of a specific ailment which requires me to consult a doctor. However, if the consultant at the hospital tells me to get a blood test (which I think he is bound to do), they will have to give me an appointment. Then I can ask for the full range to be done.

I've had an odd, but cheery telephone call from a friend of Neil's (he wanted to talk to Neil to pay him for some work). Neil had gone to bed - feeling off today, so I had a chat with the young (50 year old) man. He asked how I was getting on and, hoping to avoid a long conversation, I told him that I was off my food and feeling a bit nauseous today. "Oh," says he "do you think you might be pregnant?"

That made me laugh. "Chance would be a fine thing," says I. "It would probably be a miracle," he agreed. Youngest son in this lad's class at school, ie, my last child born over 50 years ago, and widowed for nearly 3 years. It would, indeed, be a miracle. I told him that he had cheered me up no end and we both had a good laugh.

I haven't cooked the kidneys yet, but I must. I don't think I'll eat them though. I had scrambled eggs and, a bit later some berries and cream. That's enough for today.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

my chiro exercises arrived (youtube vids) today. She has chosen them v carefully, and when i watched them through, I thought, ‘gosh, those are easy. The low set/rep nos she is insisting on, are silly low, in light of how easy they are’.

well... she knows her stuff. 4 were v easy, but 1 of the exercises was simply impossible. I could raise my leg, at that angle by 1 inch, not the required 12. Now I wait with bated breath to see if I can walk in the morning! Haha! I checked the same exercise on other leg (I do all exercises symmetrically) and it was v easy. Don't ya love the sartoris? :D:D:D

B: lc hot choc with (supposedly tasteless) powdered bone broth collagen powder in it. Rubbish. Tasteless indeed. Easy way to wreck a perfectly divine mug of cocoa. Back to bovril then.
L: lamb ribs, shared with the slavering hounds.
D: lamb rogan josh

s: lindt orange and almond

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Sugar free lemon curd - use as a flavour addition to yogurt or - if you have any - with low carb vanilla ice cream. Also use it with a plain low carb cake as a sauce or filling - delicious - or you could just eat it off a spoon! Enjoy!
Thank you @shelley262 , have got natural Greek yoghurt. Thinking about making cakes. It's a little too tart to eat off a spoon. Might add a teaspoon more sweetener next time.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All,

my chiro exercises arrived (youtube vids) today. She has chosen them v carefully, and when i watched them through, I thought, ‘gosh, those are easy. The low set/rep nos she is insisting on, are silly low, in light of how easy they are’.

well... she knows her stuff. 4 were v easy, but 1 of the exercises was simply impossible. I could raise my leg, at that angle by 1 inch, not the required 12. Now I wait with bated breath to see if I can walk in the morning! Haha! I checked the same exercise on other leg (I do all exercises symmetrically) and it was v easy. Don't ya love the sartoris? :D:D:D

B: lc hot choc with (supposedly tasteless powdered bone broth collagen powder in it. Rubbish. Tasteless indeed. Easy way to wreck a perfectly divine mug of cocoa. Back to bovril then.
L: lamb ribs, shared with the slavering hounds.
D: lamb rogan josh

s: lindt orange and almond
Hello - could you please tell me how to make lc hot choc?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
At Mum’s today for Dad’s funeral :( so eating has been a bit all over the place.
Funeral days are days for remembering loved ones, food choices come way after that. Saying a final goodbye to a parent is not something that happens often enough to overly worry about the food or bg's happening that day, I think.
I hope the day was very good, as far as funerals go, and I hope you've heard many good stories about your father!
No 1's tasks was 5 favourite animals/insect/birds from the Amazon Rainforest. The one he had most to say about was the Capybara
The capybara is a guinea pig lover's dream come true! How I wish you could have capybara in your garden as pets, like you can have goats!
Sounds like no1. grandson and I have lots in common :)
You might want to tell him how porcupines, the big ones, have faces much like guinea pigs as well, it's really amazing!

Low carb wrap with bacon and black pudding, The rest of my olive bread roll with cheese over nibbles during the afternoon while working on the fort to prevent hypo's, glass of milk and a 'sour worm' sweet to treat a hypo, happily shared with my 8 year old neighbour.
Dinner in 10 minutes, spicy mixed veg with marinated pork belly pieces. Midnight snack will likely be nuts and liverwurst again.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Camembert and salad for lunch with yogurt, seeds and fresh from the garden raspberries
Gave some raspberries to a neighbour who reciprocated with some gingerbread ! Cant say no, but did restrict myself to half a piece.
Hubby was cooking tonight following a cook along programme so boys had fish tacos with sweetcorn side dish. I had tuna and 1 tablespoon of the sweetcorn thingy. Trouble was it didn't fill me up. Have been hungry and picking most of the evening. Wine then nuts then 1 sq 85% with cream and chia seeds

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Camembert and salad for lunch with yogurt, seeds and fresh from the garden raspberries
Gave some raspberries to a neighbour who reciprocated with some gingerbread ! Cant say no, but did restrict myself to half a piece.
Hubby was cooking tonight following a cook along programme so boys had fish tacos with sweetcorn side dish. I had tuna and 1 tablespoon of the sweetcorn thingy. Trouble was it didn't fill me up. Have been hungry and picking most of the evening. Wine then nuts then 1 sq 85% with cream and chia seeds

It's always worth having a bag of salad or such like in the fridge for padding purposes, if these things happen regularly.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to have a breakfast today, before driving to town to pick up meat order so that will be more scrambled eggs.
I did cook the kidneys last night so may have some for my main meal, but will leave some for adding to some beef to make steak and kidney filling. Might just use all of them for that though. I've realised that there is not another inch of space in the freezers and I haven't found room for the lamb tagine - 3 little containers to go away. So, I might have one of those instead.

Must get around to sorting out the freezers. Neil has, at last, moved the old chest from the back porch/utility so I can get in to the big freezer at least. He has 2 ongoing projects just now - the old chest (needs to get it outside to spray paint the top and the weather isn't playing ball) and an old fashioned electrical thing - massive and heavy (tests old fashioned valves, is the best way I can describe it). It's about 2 feet long and 12 inches high and deep and weighs a ton! He is renovating it, inside and out. I think he is feeling a bit better today, so he might be able to get on with one or other project. Since he is still being shielded, he shouldn't be going out but yesterday and today has went for a walk on the beach at about 4.30 am - first light - unlikely to meet anyone at that time.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Yayyyy - decent rain! A day off from watering the garden!!!! Must remember to water the greenhouse though.

I've just heard through the WhatsApp grapevine that a neighbour was taken away by the police last night and that an ambulance was called for his wife by the police. Apparently there was lots of shouting and screaming and I slept through the whole thing. And I thought they were happily married!!

Breakfast: usual scrambled eggs and kimchi on the side
Lunch: usual Actimel drink and a bit of cheese
Dinner: my favourite cannellini beans, wilted spinach and pesto

Although its Thursday because of Mr C's working hours today is my Friday so a glass or two of red wine will be enjoyed this evening.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
This was the worst day for a long time. All the symptoms came back - other than the sore eyes. My eyes are better than they have been for a long time. Odd!

Had my telephone consultation with the consultant at the hospital. He says that what we have had sounds like covid but there have been no recorded cases in the general population on the Island, so it shouldn't be. But since there has been no testing and anyone calling in has been told to stay in and take paracetemol, how could there be? He's a very nice man, but not very imaginative. Anyway, he is writing to my doctor to tell him to give me the full range of blood tests but other things will have to wait until face to face appointments can resume (should have had a colonoscopy in April, and today's appointment should have been in May, diabetic clinic should have happened in April, dietician appointment was cancelled in April and no podiatry appointment was cancelled in March. None of these are likely to be running any time soon. Oh, I know, I don't have much to complain about but I am feeling particularly poorly today and a bit irritable.

Just had RyVita and Marmite for breakfast before I drove to town - I needed the salty flavour to try to settle my stomach. I don't think I shall be eating anything else today. Plenty of drinks, I daresay. I've already, twice, take a half dose of Co-codamol to try to settle myself down. It's been working after a fashion. Might have to have another half dose later.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Like the sound of giant fishfingers @PenguinMum. Do you have a recipe?

Hungry day for me.

Breakfast was 20% mince fried with onions, 2 eggs and some grated cheese.
Midday had some whipped creamy cheese with 100% chocolate drops.
Dinner was carnivore pizza topped with chorizo and Polish sausage

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Post office delivered my deliciously guilt free order today - such a thrill and put some in freezer straight away I’m so looking forward to new flavours - for me - of bakewell and also lemon and blueberry as well as my old fave millionaire shortbread
Was aiming for OMAD but lure of the DFG delivery meant I had a delicious afternoon tea!
Afternoon tea DGF half of a millionaires shortbread- shared with OH
Dinner pork chop, asparagus, celeriac chips and mushroom sauce with glass of dry white wine followed by lc lemon and lime mousse with cream.
Exciting delivery day as my new phone also arrived - it’s got a much better camera than old phone and also will scan my libre sensor - my very old cheap Motorola couldn’t scan and phone a bit limited.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evenin’ All

Monsoon weather today. So v gentle sofa day + unending dog toy throwing and python wrestling.
We are currently enjoying a post-prandial relax, before the warfare resumes.

B: Bovril and collagen powder
L: cooked 2 small steaks, because they were so small - but they seemed to grow while cooking. Needed a snooze during the afternoon.
D: chicken tikka and one small onion bhaji (which I made too gloopy). Maybe the others will stickify up in the fridge.

lovely snooze this afternoon. Bliss.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At Mums for breakfast and lunch, then back home til middle of next week, while my brother takes a turn looking after mum while we get care sorted for her.
Breakfast: strawberries and cream with black coffee.
Elevensies: white chocolate phd bar with black coffee.
Lunch: 2 x Babybels with leafy salad followed by Greek yoghurt and coffee chia pudding.
Dinner at home: mushroom and strong cheddar cheese omelette with leafy salad followed by SF jelly with cream and LC chocolate granola.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Yoghurt with seeds and raspberries
L. Grilled cheese slices with seeds. The seeds I sprinkled on top but they burned a bit. Next time I'll put them underneath the cheese then grill. I find these more filling than just eating the uncooked cheese. Finished off the last 20g of camembert too. Green salad mostly from the garden
D. Chicken with 30g of chorizo between 3 of us. Carrots and courgette. Boys had rice. I tried just 50g cooked rice. Then had 2 bites of hubbies magnum ice cream. Post prandial was 8 from 5.9 so I reckon that's ok