What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Porridge again today. Bit risky now because the BGs are starting to go upwards again - took a bit more Humilin S to try to cover it.

Lunch will be a quesadilla, using some of the ragout that I made (yesterday, was it?)

Evening meal will be scrambled eggs, I should think, without any carbs. Just to see if the time of day makes a difference.

Edited to fix mis-spelling (senior moment).

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 and @ianpspurs - think you were interested in the results of todays modified recipe. I've cut out the egg and butter completly and now using Olive oil and increased the fibre stuff and believe that it will keep better using the ingredients in there. It has developed a great crust and also a light texture and good crumb. OH tried it just with butter and marmalade! and said it was delicious and best to date so that is great. Think the smell wafting around as it is proving and cooking definitley make you feel tempted!

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms in width you could use two small tins if prefer. I also use a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices I tend to pack small batches of slices together kept separate by kitchen towel pieces.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 28g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 28 reasonable size slices which worked out as 1g per slice.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread Put in a jug or small mixing bowl

Two cups of warm water

One tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

While the yeast is proving

Put to one side a cup of warm water with salt dissolved in it – I use 2 teaspoons but individual preference

in the big stand mixer bowl add:

150g of milled seeds (I use organic flax/linseed)

80g of oat fibre

60g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

230g of vital wheat gluten

3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Mix the dry ingredients together with a dough hook then *slowly add the proven yeast starter, the extra virgin olive oil and finally the extra cup of water mixed with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) *I also added the proven yeast mix to the dry ingredients and let it stand for about 5 mins before I started machine up to give the yeast adjustment time!) Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, add some sprinkled seeds to the top of the loaf, if liked, and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 190 fan and then add to oven for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 180 and cook for further 25 mins and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 40 mins in total)

Cost – I bulk buy ingredients and use organic if possible - which work out at around £4 a loaf
sliced bread.JPG
loaf of bread.JPG

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD again today.

Lunch was roast beef. Slightly less pink than I’d have liked, but still delicious with a sizeable crispy, fatty crust. The juices were rich and delicious also.

Dinner involved an experiment, namely a taste of Branston pickle for the first time since diagnosis 4 years ago. Used to be a staple and saw it in Lidl yesterday. Added about a heaped teaspoon full to the side of a plate with 1 slice Mestemacher bread (buttered), a few small pieces of leftover beef and a couple of slices of cheese. The pickle tasted unbelievably sweet. Left about half of it and won’t be inclined to eat it again. Cheese/beef excellent though.

Large Morrison’s order due tonight. No substitutes or missing items so all good.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@ziggy_w , the like for yesterday’s food was for menu and tips on thickening not the impending hard lockdown. @shelley262 thanks for the tag and bread recipe. B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey CWCSFCS and coffee walnut Fatt Bar - it very definitely wasn’t either of those. Chewy, gooey more like. L: None. Eventually munched a Waitrose soft cheese stuffed mini pepper - oh, so very much my “thing”; EM: Belly pork, roast veggies, (sprouts and chorizo, kale, broccoli) gravy, Vits. Red wine. Being very generous, 6 ish/10 - top score for cooked LC atm. Currently watching White Christmas:) - (had to buy for £4.99:arghh:) - please don't think badly of me.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast coffee with milk, nut granola
CWC
Lunch egg mayonnaise, with tomato, one slice of bread, rocket. Yoghurt and raspberries. Tea
Lemon tea
Dinner chicken with bacon and cheese, roast potato (one tiny one) cauliflower, carrots and sprouts. Glass of wine and one more later.
One square of chocolate.
Lemon tea at bedtime.

Edited.
BG before dinner 6.1
After one hour 5.3
Two hours 5.4
Now thinking should have done 3 hours

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
10:30 2 fried eggs and 2 rashers bacon.
15:30 Slow roast lamb with cauli cheese and buttered cabbage.
Couple of glasses of wine and champagne to celebrate eldest daughter’s birthday.
@ziggy_w hugs for the imminent hard lockdown. Does this change any of your Christmas plans?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@ziggy_w , the like for yesterday’s food was for menu and tips on thickening not the impending hard lockdown. @shelley262 thanks for the tag and bread recipe. B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey CWCSFCS and coffee walnut Fatt Bar - it very definitely wasn’t either of those. Chewy, gooey more like. L: None. Eventually munched a Waitrose soft cheese stuffed mini pepper - oh, so very much my “thing”; EM: Belly pork, roast veggies, (sprouts and chorizo, kale, broccoli) gravy, Vits. Red wine. Being very generous, 6 ish/10 - top score for cooked LC atm. Currently watching White Christmas:) - (had to buy for £4.99:arghh:) - please don't think badly of me.

Shan't think badly of you, if you won't think badly of me for forgetting to mention that I used to enjoy traditional jazz (not the way it has developed in the last 40 or so years) and some country and western - those parts of it that hark back to the old folk songs from previous centuries. It's the harmonies that I enjoy. White Christmas - not for me, but each to his own.

Breakfast was porridge - probably said that before. Lunch was a quesadilla with some of the ragout and processed cheese (the only processed cheese in the house was Dairylea slices - Em's favourite which I had to use because I can't get processed American cheese at a reasonable price and the cheddar I have at present is far too sharp) - one tortilla, filled and folded in half and fried in butter. Evening meal still to come and I am wondering what to put with my scrambled egg or omelette. Don't want more cheese. Don't have any mushrooms. I do have some tomatoes and onions but not feeling keen on that. Hhmm. BGs high today. Me getting back to normal then.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Mrs T 123 and @ianpspurs - think you were interested in the results of todays modified recipe. I've cut out the egg and butter completly and now using Olive oil and increased the fibre stuff and believe that it will keep better using the ingredients in there. It has developed a great crust and also a light texture and good crumb. OH tried it just with butter and marmalade! and said it was delicious and best to date so that is great. Think the smell wafting around as it is proving and cooking definitley make you feel tempted!

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms in width you could use two small tins if prefer. I also use a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices I tend to pack small batches of slices together kept separate by kitchen towel pieces.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 28g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 28 reasonable size slices which worked out as 1g per slice.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread Put in a jug or small mixing bowl

Two cups of warm water

One tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (3 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

While the yeast is proving

Put to one side a cup of warm water with salt dissolved in it – I use 2 teaspoons but individual preference

in the big stand mixer bowl add:

150g of milled seeds (I use organic flax/linseed)

80g of oat fibre

60g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

230g of vital wheat gluten

3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.

Mix the dry ingredients together with a dough hook then *slowly add the proven yeast starter, the extra virgin olive oil and finally the extra cup of water mixed with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) *I also added the proven yeast mix to the dry ingredients and let it stand for about 5 mins before I started machine up to give the yeast adjustment time!) Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, add some sprinkled seeds to the top of the loaf, if liked, and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 190 fan and then add to oven for 10 mins, then reduce temperature to 180 and cook for further 25 mins and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 40 mins in total)

Cost – I bulk buy ingredients and use organic if possible - which work out at around £4 a loaf
View attachment 46235 View attachment 46236
Cheers for that - looks lovely - enjoy! are you taking any orders?

Reactions: zauberflote

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

TMAD again today.

Lunch was roast beef. Slightly less pink than I’d have liked, but still delicious with a sizeable crispy, fatty crust. The juices were rich and delicious also.

Dinner involved an experiment, namely a taste of Branston pickle for the first time since diagnosis 4 years ago. Used to be a staple and saw it in Lidl yesterday. Added about a heaped teaspoon full to the side of a plate with 1 slice Mestemacher bread (buttered), a few small pieces of leftover beef and a couple of slices of cheese. The pickle tasted unbelievably sweet. Left about half of it and won’t be inclined to eat it again. Cheese/beef excellent though.

Large Morrison’s order due tonight. No substitutes or missing items so all good.
Good luck with the Morrisons order - I received mine last night missing the selection boxes I had wanted and which had been the main reason for doing the order online as believe it or not decent selection boxes are almost impossible to get here (I managed to source 1 I needed today from elsewhere) and pepsi max (yeah really - I couldn't believe it)

Last edited:
Reactions: maglil55

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
7am - 1 slice (outsider) slc bread toasted with butter and a mug of earl grey tea and a couple of squares of dark chocolate to get me going for the day

2.30pm 2 slices slc bread with a filling of egg mayo. Mug of earl grey

6pm - chicken breast with a diane sauce and broccoli, sprouts and a few carrots. SF jelly with a little soya cream drizzled over the top

@ziggy_w virtual hugs for the hard lockdown. We just came back out of lockdown on Friday and that was bad enough. What restrictions will you have - especially with it being christmas soon? Awwww:banghead:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You prompted me to check out if it’s being shown this Christmas and white Christmas the film is on on the tv on the 20th on channel 4 at 2.30 or plus one at 3.30 made a note as never seen the film so going to watch with mum she’ll love it. Thank you for mentioning it. We have started watching talking pictures on channel 81 loads of old classics just about to watch spring and port wine.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shan't think badly of you, if you won't think badly of me for forgetting to mention that I used to enjoy traditional jazz (not the way it has developed in the last 40 or so years) and some country and western - those parts of it that hark back to the old folk songs from previous centuries. It's the harmonies that I enjoy. White Christmas - not for me, but each to his own.

Breakfast was porridge - probably said that before. Lunch was a quesadilla with some of the ragout and processed cheese (the only processed cheese in the house was Dairylea slices - Em's favourite which I had to use because I can't get processed American cheese at a reasonable price and the cheddar I have at present is far too sharp) - one tortilla, filled and folded in half and fried in butter. Evening meal still to come and I am wondering what to put with my scrambled egg or omelette. Don't want more cheese. Don't have any mushrooms. I do have some tomatoes and onions but not feeling keen on that. Hhmm. BGs high today. Me getting back to normal then.

I vote chorizo. It's fab, with finely chopped onion in an omelette !

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Today, our main meal was a lovely roast of salmon cut beef, with crushed swede, with sour cream and white pepper, roasted parsnips, carrots and potatoes. I had the crunchiest small roastie, but swerved the parsnips which aren't my favourites anyway.

I'm so full I feel I might never ned to eat again, but I also know that last bit is not quite right.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: small ff greek with blueberries mainly as a vehicle for the seeds for laxative purposes

Then a rainy baking day. Tried adapting a lc shortbread recipe with added mixed spice and ginger. OK, but nothing to write home about. I can always tell if a recipe uses coconut flour, it never quite disappears does it?
Also made a spiced cake. Texture reminiscent of gingerbread but not nearly as tasty. Is pleasant served warm with cream.

No lunch as such as far too much tasting as I was baking.

D: roast chicken, carrots, buttered leeks, broccoli, gravy. A slice of the spice cake and cream for pudding, but served by hubby so was far too big. Feeling very over full

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Made two batches of LC granola this afternoon, one chocolate and nut and the other chocolate and raspberry :hungry:

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: pork and apple stuffed chicken with 3 mini roast potatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

F0591498-68CD-4F12-9FA9-B75DB47752A7.jpeg

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I vote chorizo. It's fab, with finely chopped onion in an omelette !

Good idea but, searching through the fridge I found some Wensleydale with cranberries and kind of unintentionally ate it. Just one little bit, then another and soon I'd had more than enough for a meal. So no eggs tonight. But I do have some chorizo, so that may well be for tomorrow.

JFWinstone

Breakfast - Pepperoni, Spicy Chorizo, 3 cherry tomatoes
Very late lunch @ 3:30pm - Chicken and bacon salad
Late dinner - Katsu chicken curry, salad, and 2 sq Lindt 90% dark chocolate

Slept badly last night so was exhausted, fell asleep after breakfast between 10:30 am-2 pm hence the late lunch.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast. CWC,
2nd breakfast 2 hours later. One slice toast, kippers and CWC
Lunch mid afternoon egg mayonnaise, two ryvita, two rashers of streaky bacon, handful of rocket
Glass of wine while watching the final F1 race. Dinner was not ready, really hungry so had lump of wenslydale with cranberries.
Dinner, chicken breast, red pepper and mushroom casserole, brocolli and carrots. Wine.
Lemon tea at bedtime

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Made two batches of LC granola this afternoon, one chocolate and nut and the other chocolate and raspberry :hungry:

Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: pork and apple stuffed chicken with 3 mini roast potatoes followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

View attachment 46239
Hey - they look fab - what is the recipe please for the chocolate and nut one?

Reactions: DJC3