What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Managed another day of a narrow eating window I’m trying to stick to this if possible for next few weeks. I’m not normally hungry for breakfast but tend to join OH who is hungry first thing. Sticking to black coffee to keep me going until later in day - and warmer!
Late lunch frittata made with two eggs,chorizo, herbs and a few veg - one mushroom, some sprouted seeds, kimchi and watercress.
Dinner chicken breast in Indian spices served on bed of chopped vegetables cooked in olive oil - mix included thinly sliced stalks from broccoli tender stems, green pepper,one mushroom,a few courgette slices chopped and handful of sprouted seeds served with yoghurt raita, a salsa with corriander and a small but delicious teaspoon of spicy mango chutney. Have had two single gins combined with soda water and when finished this second glass will have SF lemon and lime jelly with spoon of extra thick cream.
Edit Also just had one square of 100% choc with decaff coffee

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast again, but that did mean I was ready for lunch at 11:30.
Some lc soda bread with chicken liver pate and sauerkraut. Lc chia seed brownie with ff greek.

5pm lc hot chocolate which doesn't taste right at ll. Still trying to work out whether its the different almond milk or the different brand of cocoa or the different brand of sweetener.

6pm a lovely stir fry of salmon and prawns, tenderstem broccoli and kale made by my boy. Some more chia brownie and cream (I knew I shouldn't have made them!)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all and thank you very much to everyone who sent congratulatory messages.
Without further ado my food today was:
Black coffee all morning
Brunch: Parma ham, mozzarella and avocado all drizzled with olive oil.
Dinner was salmon with lemon and garlic butter and green beans. 1 glass Sauv Blanc and a DGF Not Carrot cake with clotted cream after.
Some nuts somewhere along the line but I really can’t remember when - they have disappeared though.
@shelley262 I’m also trying to keep my eating window narrow, but I’m finding stopping the snacking habit hard too.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Too much grazing today, finishing off illicit 90% choc and nuts (with extra thick Jersey cream) before a proper attempt to ditch them in February.

Aside from that, one meal of the most delicious slow roasted pork belly. Covered it in sage and onion salt and chilli oil. Crackling was divine.

@MrsA2 I spent last January trying to get to like offal. Took part in Organuary and tried all sorts, including ordering and preparing from scratch an entire ox tongue! Concluded that I don’t like offal at all, with the possible exception of lambs heart, which was passable when flash fried.

DFD3A20F-7274-48E2-AE38-CB05CA82F9CB.jpeg

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and 1/2 packet of coconut bites.
Dinner, Chinese take away: crispy duck, 3 small pancakes, a smidge of sauce and veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - warm chia pudding made with coconut milk, chia seeds, flaxseeds, cinnamon and raspberries, blueberries & small drizzle of double cream over the top

Dinner - mushroom & onion omlette and I may have had a few chips also (naughty girl!)

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All MIA again not sure how. My brekkie is always a slice of HiLo toast, butter, tea.
I cant remember lunches this far back but I have been having a Lizza toastie split toasted and topped with pate/cheese & coleslaw/egg mayo. I also made a pot of broccoli & leek soup and when I accompanybthat with just a chunk of cheese to fill me up.
Thursday was house special Fish Finger Firsday, the Libre showed a steep rise of 4 points and then a very steep drop so I have to decide whether its worth it. I am good with other meals so I think the enjoyment once a week will continue as long as generally my bg is where it is. Friday had panfried code fillet with three scallops, broccoli. Last night was Indian t/a of Tandoori King Prawns and cauli bhajee. I had a poppadom with a couple of glasses of wine beforehand.
I know we are not supposed to chat here but best wishes to @shelley262 @DJC3 and @maglil55 for all the trials and anxiety and anyone else I missed.

Onlinecaroline

Tell me more about this!
I had to use shop bought Mayo as we didn’t have enough oil for H/m. Just any ordinary Mayo, melt the blue cheese every so slightly and mix. It’s better with homemade Mayo but it was still delicious. Had it with buffalo wings from the air fryer.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Experimented with my loaf of bread yet again and think I have found what is for me the perfect loaf. Ive reduced ingredients mainly by a third to get at right size and also brought back the eggs and butter into the mix. feel best result to date so promise this will be the final version I share!!!!

Low carb bread using vital wheat gluten and inulin to ‘feed’ the yeast

I used a stand mixer to knead the bread mixture. I used a loaf tin 30cms in length and 11cms I also used a bread slicer to cut the bread into even slices. Bread freezes well once cut into slices.

Carb content of the whole mixture is 20g per loaf – I managed to slice the loaf into 35 reasonable size slices which worked out as 0.6g per slice.

Yeast starter - Start 30 -40 mins before making the bread

Two cups of warm water -One tablespoon of inulin dissolved in the warm water

15g (2 teaspoons) of dried yeast (traditional – not fast acting) sprinkled on the water and cover with cling film or similar

Should quickly form a froth - if warm place may be in 20 mins but cooler places can take up to 40 mins.

While the yeast is proving

Whisk two room temperature eggs with some salt added to taste and measure out half a cup of warm water. Put both to one side

In a mixer bowl add:

100g of milled seeds (I use organic golden linseed)

50g of oat fibre

50g of psyllium husk the fibre variety not the powdered one (NB make sure that it is the Blond variety as some can turn the bread purple!)

160g of vital wheat gluten

50g of butter (ideally softened – brought to room temp)

Mix the dry ingredients and butter together with a dough hook then add the proven yeast mix in a well in middle of the mixture and let it stand for about 5 mins. Then turn mixer on and slowly add the proven yeast starter and finally the beaten eggs mixed with salt (Salt kills yeast so add after yeast mix is beaten in.) if mix still dry add the extra half a cup of warm water – judge as go along. Knead for at least 5 mins until mixed and stretchy. I kneaded for 10 mins in total at different speeds.

Prepare a buttered loaf tin with baking paper at bottom. Add the dough to the tin, and cover with buttered Clingfilm (or reusable silicone sheet) and tea towel. Leave until doubled in size this can take 1 – 2 hours depending on how warm it is.

Meanwhile heat oven to 180 fan.

Bake for 35 mins, and then tip out of tin and put back in for 5 mins to finish off. (Cooking time 40 mins in total)
picture was to show cut loaf and texture plus we had to try it!!bread loaf.jpg bread showing texture.jpg

Last edited:

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ate early (9 am) for the first time this week. Was hungry and was about to go on a walk and it was cold. Had 2 cold chicken thighs, cats had the skin.

Walked for a hilly hour with a friend, then got reminded I had promised to walk with hubby so did another hour and a half! Was glad by then I had eaten. Forgot to take any water though.
Lunch a few cheese crisps with salami cooked in the microwave. Then a small pear called from the fruit bowl, so I ate it. Was it a falling off the wagon or was it a considered food choice? Who knows but I'm not beating myself up over it.

D is going to be roast chicken, roast celeriac, Brussels and a little broccoli. Think there will be room in todays carbs for a brownie

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wonderful looking loaf @shelley262 well done for tweaking it to such perfection. I bet it tastes fab.
Today has been 1.5MAD for me. Supposed to be Omad of beef topside ( sous vide @56C ) with buttered cabbage, roast broccoli stalks and one or 2 leftover greeen beans. - all wonderful but I got v hungry late morning so had a nugget of cheese and a handful of mixed nuts - no more nuts now.
Beef was lovely, not a great photo as I’d dolloped a load of mustard on before the photo and it wasn’t really well laid out.
IMG_1612114324.233308.jpg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cats had the skin.

Lucky cats, they got the best bits!

Long walk here - 13.6 miles, including a lot of clambering over rocky bits of the Thames bed. Exhausted.

Home a bit later than anticipated so has resulted in an unintentional OMAD as I’m still full from lunch, which was mince fried with onions, a couple of eggs and some burrata mixed in - thanks @Antje77 for the suggestion.

9FA81BF3-356F-4719-810D-65746CDF0294.jpeg

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mrs T 123 & @ziggy_w - politicians could have learned from us with our work expenses. For the most part our employer was fine so long as you didn't take advantage. For example, if we were travelling at night, on our own, then we were under instruction to travel 1st class on the train and always take a taxi at the other end. The liquid dinner we thought was a step too far. Our hotel bill was pages!!! Every single drink was itemised!! We were glad we didn't have cars with us that day.
I'm behind again - Wednesday bed 5.8 FBG 5.8.

Hubby was busy soup making again. Today's delight was Pasta fagoli, an Italian soup with veggies, cannelini beans and berlotti beans and tiny pasta. Took a load up to brother's with fresh crusty bread.

B. TAG and 2 slices of SLC toast with pate.
L. Nothing.
D. A bowl of said pasta fagoli (LC pasta in mine) with 2 slices of SLC bread. 2 squares of 85%.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
New avatar is some spring flowers I bought to remind me that the bulbs that are just pushing out of the ground in the garden will eventually get there - as will the spring and hopefully freeer and warmer times. Hope is vital at the moment.
Made hm lc loaf this am -see earlier post with recipe- and smell a bit tormenting whilst fasting! It is my best ever loaf and felt sense of achievement when it came out of oven.
Late lunch one of the delicious crusts from new lc loaf thickly buttered served with two boiled eggs
Mid pm 15g of 100% choc
Dinner turkey, two sausages, broccoli cheese and green beans with glass of dry white wine followed by DGF gingerbread with extra thick cream.

Reactions: maglil55

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Goonergal hugs for the work stress hope you have a more relaxing weekend.
@DJC3 so thrilled for you - enjoy the celebrations hope journey back has gone, or is going,well take care
This morning had trip out to local hospital for eye screening it felt very safe and well organised I also really enjoyed putting smarter clothes on and when there chatting to the technician doing the screening and the other patient in the waiting room, the other patient was fairly newly diagnosed and enjoyed chatting to him about carbs especially hidden ones! Suggested he look at this site and diet doctor hope he does he was very much at sea on his own very hard especially just now.
Black coffee all morning
Lunch two boiled eggs with one slice of hm Lc thickly buttered bread
Mid pm 20g of 100% chocolate
Dinner sea bass in lemon butter with broccoli and cauliflower cheese with soda water and splash dry white wine followed by DGF gingerbread with double cream.
Snow forecast yet again for us in the am so crossing fingers like last weekend that my online delivery gets here. We did have a delivery cancelled due to snow so a bit nervous as quite low on supplies. Let’s hope weather wrong!
Sounds a wonderful meal.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Haven't been an offal lover since childhood but have been hearing that chicken liver is mild, and I do like pate so when I saw some in the supermarket I bought them. Found recipes for spiced up devilled ones so gave it a go. Chickened out (!) at last minute and blitzed it down into a pate.
Boy liked it before blitzing, hubby wasn't so sure. I had some on lettuce and some on cucumber. Trouble is its made 3 ramekins... luckily cats seem to like it.
I might try them whole one more time. Its just getting over those childhood memories.

Then,a s I had my cooking head on I made some lc brownies (now safely in the freezer) and some lc cheesy soda bread (also portioned and in the freezer)

D was just a little bit of beef and 2 lc brownies bites.
Home made pate can be frozen. Top with clarified butter to seal before freezing. Keeps a few months.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and DGF cake.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and 1/2 pack of coconut bites
Dinner: roast chicken, one small roast potato, mixed veg and gravy made from meat juices thickened with flax, followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Great news -- so happy for you. For how long have you been in remission now?
@maglil55 -- This is so funny. Sounds like a fun evening, though.
@Bex72 -- The pancake looks great.I've tried many times, but kind of have given up on low-carb pancakes.
@Goonergal -- Hugs for the work stress -- Is January always busy for you?
@shelley262 -- Hope the other patient joins the forum. It will help him lots knowing that he is not in this alone.

Yesterday (had too much to eat and also skipped the exercise, unfortunately reflected a bit in today's blood sugar levels):

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. A slice of Aldi protein bread with brie and turkey salami.

Lunch: Duck breast.

Dinner: A few seed crackers with butter. About half a bar 88% chocolate. A teaspoon of hazelnut butter. Dry red wine.
I've made these a few times . Very easy, light as a feather and delicious. It's a thicker pancake but it is so light.

dailyyum.com/ricotta-souffle-low-carb-pancakes/

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3